Profile for Hana Gomoláková (translator, interpreter) > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Hana Gomoláková (translator, interpreter) "Hana" RSS Feed (Prague, Czech Republic)

Kieslowski on Kieslowski
Kieslowski on Kieslowski
by Krzystof Kieslowski
Price: $20.04
45 used & new from $11.78

5.0 out of 5 stars All you ever wanted to know about the man and the director, August 15, 2006
Reading the book was like watching another wonderful Kieslowski film. His casual authentic narrative throughout the book gives it a touch of a documentary almost.

I appreciated every page of his life story, as he tells it so that his personal story as a director - from his childhood through filmschool, his first films right to the Three Colours trilogy - is combined with the situation in Poland, with the Communist times, the censorship, the hopes and the fights with the system, the fears, the communication with the public through hidden messages, and the victories when succeeding to outsmart the censors.

All wrapped up in one, sprinkled with wit and natural story-telling style, the book is all you ever wanted to know about Kieslowski and the background of his life and filmmaking.

In the interviews throughout the book, he not only talks about the films, he also explains why he had to do them the way he did - both, the story and the style - about his personal beliefs, about his life and work in the Communist Poland (in which I could see similarities with the former Czechoslovakia, where I was born, as well), and about how it shaped his views.

Real reading pleasure, educational and entertaining, this book is one of the best I have read lately! And, I believe it gives another dimension in understanding of his films as well.

We Are the New Auroras: The Story Collection
We Are the New Auroras: The Story Collection
by Adam Daniel Mezei
Price: $16.08
17 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep, amazingly well-written, breathtaking, April 29, 2006
Not every book can grasp your attention at the first pages and keep your curiosity till the very end. We Are The New Auroras - the stories about misplaced people around the world can and does exactly that.

Never before I got to spend time, have conversations with, and get into heads of, so many different persons from wide range of environments.

The book is written in a short period of time, keeping the author in a certain mind set, which the reader can follow from the first story to the last. The author describes the details of this process in the beginning of the book, thus helping the reader understand the flow of the entire work. I found this to be very innovative, straightforward and while reading the stories, helpful in following the author's movement around the Earth.

Through each short story, the author introduces the environment in the particular part of the world and helps us understand more about it through depicting the struggle of the main character of each story. From Canada, Europe, Africa, India and other parts of the world we get to see the problems and stories of people we would never have a chance to meet in our lives.

Each story is set up so skillfully, that it holds your attention to the very last bit, sometimes giving you a clear end, sometimes leaving you with your thoughts about the faith of the character, which I liked the best. This feeling stayed with me after I have travelled the world in my armchair.

I would recommend the book for everyone who wants to know more about the problems, issues and faiths of the people who live in unstable environments, struggling to maintain a certain level of normality in their lives. The kind of normality we have so got accustomed to and became comfortable in.

All this without you having to leave your house.

We Are The New Auroras is a wonderfully written book with a deep content and I would recommend it for everyone who wishes to know more about our world then what there is to see on the first sight. For everyone who wishes to open their eyes and see more clearly.