Profile for Jason Rennie > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 61

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jason Rennie RSS Feed (Boston, MA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Best Value Tournament Chess Set - 90% Plastic Filled Chess Pieces and Green Roll-up Vinyl Chess Board
Price: $16.99
2 used & new from $13.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent starter chess kit, December 25, 2014
Very nice set. The pieces are solid with nice felt bottoms, the board is large with algebraic notation and lays-out smoothly. Each set of pieces comes in a zip-lock-style clear plastic bag. The box looks like it will serve well for storage.

Note that this version does *not* come with a travel bag. My box had "canvas travel bag" printed on it, but crossed out with Sharpie marker. My guess is they use the same box print for different versions of the set and some versions of the set come with a canvas travel bag.

Also, note that the pieces are "standard" weight. They feel solid, but aren't heavy. The box indicates that there are "double" and "triple" weight versions of this set, so if you are looking for heavy pieces, try searching for, e.g. "triple weighted chess set".

Agloves M/L touch screen gloves, iPhone gloves, texting gloves, Agloves!
Agloves M/L touch screen gloves, iPhone gloves, texting gloves, Agloves!
Offered by DF Discounts
Price: $12.99
11 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, November 15, 2013
Just got these. As others have noted, these are thin: I expect better protection than no gloves, but nothing like leather or insulated gloves. They fit a bit small. My hands are usually between medium and large and the M/L is a tad small: the fingers are snug and a bit short. I'd call them medium instead of M/L. But, they're closer to correct size than I expected based on some of the reviews I read before buying, and they stretch a bit so perfect size isn't necessary. They work amazingly well---every touch is picked up by my phone. I suspect they may work even better than bare hands in the cold because I've noticed that the phone doesn't always pick up my touches when it's cold outside and my finger skin is very dry. I'd definitely recommend these to anyone who wants to extend phone use outside when it's chilly.

Someone mentioned that their gloves had a big Agloves logo on the back. Mine didn't. There is a small tag visible near the wrist, but it would likely be covered by a coat sleeve. Also, the metal threading creates some shine; they don't look masculine to me, but I wouldn't say that they look particularly feminine, either.

Lifetime 60028 65-Gallon Compost Tumbler
Lifetime 60028 65-Gallon Compost Tumbler
Price: $128.14
10 used & new from $128.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Painful assembly, excellent compost, November 10, 2013
This is my 2nd Lifetime compost tumbler. I first got the 80 gallon version. The main difference between the 65- and 80-gallon tumblers (besides the size) is the number of sides: four and three, respectively. Otherwise, their designs, packaging, instructions, etc. are very similar.

As with the 80-gallon version, assembly is a pain. Plan on 4 hours. Read through the entire instructions *before* starting. I assembled it alone, but you may need a 2nd person if you don't have long-ish arms (I'm 6'2"). As you'll see in the reviews of the 80-gallon tumbler, it may be useful to piece together the large panels and hold them together with ratcheting straps or similar (see user-contributed photos for what this looks like); I did this and it worked pretty well. Note that when you are screwing together the panels, you'll need to be turning the screws while you hold the plastic nuts in place. This is what requires long arms or a 2nd person. It is helpful to mark each panel "top", "side", or "bottom".

Some people complain that this makes compost that is too wet. I had the same problem after about a month of use (we had been exclusively dumping kitchen scraps into it). I tried adding some dry leaves. Viola: problem solved. Any reasonable site that explains ingredients for composting emphasizes the need for the right carbon-to-nitrogen ratio. Grass and kitchen scraps are too "green" and require balancing with "browns" like dry leaves.

I've been very happy with the composting process. We tried using a simple pile in the past---it took forever. With the lifetime composter, ingredients started turning black and "cooking" in a few weeks.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Sennheiser PX 100-II On Ear Miniheadphone (Black)
Sennheiser PX 100-II On Ear Miniheadphone (Black)
Price: $49.95
34 used & new from $45.04

1.0 out of 5 stars Great... for four months, August 12, 2013
I had the original PX 100 for 10 years. They survived all kinds of abuse. The earpads wore out after about six years. But, with replacement pads, they kept working flawlessly. Last November I decided to get a new pair of headphones. The PX 100s weren't available new anymore, so I opted for the PX 100-II revision. Big mistake. After 4 months, the left speaker stopped working. A month later, the right speaker stopped working. Sennheiser repair service was good---I had a new headset in my hands about two weeks after I sent in the broken ones. But, now it's four months since I got the replacement pair and the left speaker has stopped working. There's no excuse for this.

Update (1/21/14): I'm sending back my third pair for warranty service: the right speaker just stopped working after 5 months (!)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2014 12:21 PM PDT

Miku No Hi Kanshasai 39's Giving Dayproject Diva
Miku No Hi Kanshasai 39's Giving Dayproject Diva
Offered by YUKI-JAPAN
Price: $49.99
63 used & new from $10.05

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm hooked, June 7, 2013
I don't think there's any need for me to review the music itself. You can find the whole concert (with video and translation) on YouTube. Try searching, for example, for "World is Mine Hatsune Miku Giving", "Stardust Utopia Megurine Luka Giving", and "Purple Butterfly on your Right Shoulder Kagamine Rin Giving". I made my own playlist on YT, but one day the videos were deleted, so I wanted to get my own copy of the music. I've since found videos for the full concert again, but I'm glad I bought this CD. I can now play in my car or on my phone without being so dependent on the internet connection. Also, it's nice to be able to listen to the songs without interruption (either due to ads or simply non-smooth YT transitions). I bought mine used "like new" via Amazon and it came exactly as described. Having the cover art and song listing is a plus over just watching on YT.

Ku:Palm
Ku:Palm
Price: $11.35
2 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, June 7, 2013
This review is from: Ku:Palm (Audio CD)
Modus Operandi was my first experience of Photek. I still enjoy that album, but I was surprised by how good his latest work is. I normally find myself listening to the likes of Rush (esp. 2112, Hemispheres), Dream Theater (esp. Images & Words), and King Crimson (esp. Discipline). Photek is different, to say the least. Instead of playing music, Photek designs it. His beats are strong and relatively simple. What I think sets him apart is his layering and transitions. He also draws from an amazing variety of sounds. Each song has a unique feel to it and I love how he mixes sounds and moves the music between lulls and crescendos. I can't get enough of songs 1-3, 5, 6, 8, 9. I think 12 "This Love" is the best of the songs with vocals. For some of the other songs with vocals, I feel like he's a bit afraid of mixing in too many sounds alongside the voice. #4 is too soft and atmospheric for my tastes. But, overall, this is an amazing piece of work. Even after many plays, I still find myself coming back and preferring it over Modus Operandi (which I think isn't as creative as Ku:Palm).

Gateway DX4380-UR308 Desktop (Black)
Gateway DX4380-UR308 Desktop (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, March 26, 2013
You can read other reviews to hear complaints about Windows 8.

This is an excellent piece of hardware for the price. Without any upgrades, desktop graphics in Ubuntu are very snappy; I expected to have to install a separate video card, but see no need to. The RAM is upgradeable to 16gb by adding two 4g simms (there are 4 slots; 2 are filled).

The build itself is reasonable. For example: There is no case fan, but the case is designed for one so it would be easy to add. But, I see no need---the machine runs very cool (<35C cpu temp at low cpu usage).

There is one spare 5.25" bay (e.g. 2nd DVD) and one spare 3.5" bay (e.g. 2nd internal HD). There is adequate spacing for air flow around the 3.5" bays. There is no mount for a front case fan, but I think the 3.5" bay spacing is sufficient for low-to-moderate usage.

This is an energy efficient machine. I plan to keep it running 24/7 and am happy to see that it consumes 45-50 watts when idle-ish in Ubuntu (measured using a kill-a-watt).

I was confused by the location of the DVD eject button: it's on the right side of the DVD bay.

To enter the BIOS, press the DEL key repeatedly during startup. If that doesn't work at first, try "restart" from Windows. Try using a PS2 keyboard (purple circular connector).

The machine uses UEFI. UEFI is is common on new machines, but was uncommon a few years ago and is likely a reason why installing a different operating system is not as straightforward as one would expect. Note that along with UEFI comes a different hard disk partition scheme: GPT (instead of the older MBR). I had trouble installing Ubuntu, but was eventually successful. Should be easier now since I helped isolate a bug in the boot-repair package.

Reinstall tips:

* From the BIOS, try disabling SecureBoot and/or FastBoot.
* If installing Ubuntu, start with the Ubuntu UEFI community documentation (not the older UEFIBooting page)
* If nothing else works, try enabling CSM (Compatibility Support Module), which should allow you to boot without UEFI. Note that you'll need to revert your disk to using MBR---I had mixed success with CSM.

The Motherboard is Acer AAHD3-VC. The BIOS is American Megatrends Aptio. I found that Tiger Direct's "Specifications" page had more useful details about this machine.

Borax Laundry Booster, 76 oz Box
Borax Laundry Booster, 76 oz Box
Offered by Nilmee
Price: $11.79
18 used & new from $6.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! My machine doesn't smell like mold!, December 23, 2012
I never thought I'd find the solution to a moldy-smelling front load washer for $3 at Target, but that's exactly what happened. As others have noted, you may want to check the price at your local Target/Wal-mart (if you have one) before buying via Amazon. Also, note that *all* of the 1-star reviews (and 3 of the 4 2-star's) have nothing to do with the product itself and are simply complaints regarding price. I.e. the overall average *product* review is 4.5-5 stars, not the 4 stars that Amazon lists.

That said, this is a fantastic product for laundry. We own an LG front loader which developed a moldy smell a little more than a year after we purchased it (right after the warranty ran out!). We tried everything the manual suggested, plus a few suggestions from the web. No dice. After searching yet again for something to solve our smell problem, I found Borax. This product should be provided with every front loader! We use half a cup per wash and the results are very noticeable. The moldy smell is gone, our clothes smell better, and stains come out easier.

By the way, besides the washer, my wife also complained about the smell of my gym clothes. I would even notice it after a few months of use. With Borax, the smell is reduced so much that my wife doesn't complain any more!

I'm not sure what is more difficult to believe---how well this product works or how long it took me to find it!

Schwinn Easy Steer Tricycle, Red/White
Schwinn Easy Steer Tricycle, Red/White
Price: $64.00
19 used & new from $52.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes going for a walk with my 2 yo boy a breeze, December 23, 2012
Drawbacks:

* Squealing noise while moving (permanently fixed by applying WD-40 where the rod enters the front wheel)
* Quality is mediocre (steering isn't tight, parts are slightly misaligned)
* I couldn't figure out how to pull down the T-bar foot rest

Pros:

* Steerable by a 6'2" adult without bending down
* My son will ride on this for an hour without complaint while I walk around the neighborhood
* Quality is good enough (the ride is smooth on a flat surface, I can override attempts my son makes to steer off the sidewalk)

My son can't pedal on his own yet, but he doesn't seem to mind. He loves wheels/bikes/cars and seem happy just to go along for the ride. He doesn't like a stroller any more, but he loves this trike. He seems to feel like he's in control---he always holds the handlebars. My son also loves putting his toys in either the little backpack or the bin. The bin is useful for something small you want to bring but don't want to carry.

We paid $80 and don't regret the decision one bit---this is a fantastic trike for (the parents of) a 2 yo boy.

Jarrow Formulas N-A-G 700, 120 Capsules
Jarrow Formulas N-A-G 700, 120 Capsules
Price: $17.04
7 used & new from $13.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Cures canker sores, September 19, 2012
Before I started taking this, I couldn't even use a toothpaste like Squigle (which uses a mild surfactant, Polaxamer, versus the harsher surfactants, like Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, that major brands use) because it would give me painful canker sores. Two weeks after starting Jarrow NAG, I started using Squigle. I got two minor (less painful than usual) sores, but they went away after a week and I haven't had any since (I've been taking this product for six weeks). My nutrition-expert-friend says that it takes 4-6 weeks for the oral mucosa to regenerate and hence see the effects of NAG, so my experience fits with his explanation.

I've also found that this has reduced stiffness in my shoulders and back. I used to be particular about the bed I slept on. Now I'm more flexible about where I sleep. Even when I sleep on an older, soft mattress, my back doesn't hurt in the morning (it would before I started taking NAG).

Update (8/26/13): I've been taking this for a year now. Besides eliminating my canker sores, this has also put a stop to my gum recession. This stuff is amazing!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7