Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Seth > Reviews

Browse

Seth's Profile

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Seth RSS Feed (Cambridge, MA, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
50% Off Today Only - Premium iPhone 6 Screen Protector, Full Screen Tempered Glass Protector with Lifetime Warranty [HD Clear] [Scratch-Resistant] [Bubble Free] [Easy Installation] suits 4.7" iPhone 6 (White edge)
Offered by iStock Accessories
Price: $4.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Thank god for easy refunds, March 20, 2015
The good: It comes with all the materials you might need to make your screen spotless before applying it. And excellent service: when I ran into the first issue below, I emailed the seller and had a refund issued immediately.

The bad:
(1) The side borders overlap the edges of the screen. It's just enough to be annoying. When the keyboard is pulled up on my iPhone 6, the cover's white borders come right up to the outside edges of the Q and P keys. It's silly that it's colored white at all; it should just be transparent.
(2) Within a few weeks of installing it, I have cracks running diagonally across both the upper left and upper right corners.

Move on, spend your money elsewhere.

GTD Audio G-787H UHF Diversity Wireless Microphone System
GTD Audio G-787H UHF Diversity Wireless Microphone System
Offered by Audio-USA
Price: $999.00
2 used & new from $329.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Need to hire a real support team, December 4, 2013
I could have not have been more dissatisfied with this item or the customer support I received.

I received the item. Even standing in the same small room with the base, only a couple of the microphones would stay connected. I received some unthoughtful and unhelpful feedback from the seller/manufacturer. I decided I would just throw in the towel, instead of trying to get a replacement, because I didn't want to miss the return window.

I emailed the seller and received a return number, and paid the shipping to send them the unit; they had agreed to give me a refund. Instead, they shipped me *another* unit. I shipped it back, and made sure to get a tracking number. In doing my bookkeeping the next month, I noticed that I still hadn't received the refund, a month after the tracking number showed that the second return was delivered. The one saving grace: they paid the shipping for returning the mics that they had sent me accidentally, since I asked for them to cover it.

This ended up being a headache I didn't need. I went with wired mics, and never looked back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2015 11:37 PM PST

Mackie DL1608 16-Channel Live Sound Digital Mixer with iPad Control
Mackie DL1608 16-Channel Live Sound Digital Mixer with iPad Control
Offered by Bailey Brothers Music Company
Price: $699.99
15 used & new from $479.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My sidekick, December 4, 2013
I've mounted this in a road case to individually mic 13 singers in an a cappella group at our gigs, and I couldn't be happier.

I don't get very fancy with the gates and such, but it was essential to be able to play with them in a way that was very accessible for a technically-savvy but novice-to-sound-engineering fellow like myself. Otherwise, I would have never figured out how to tone down the hiss of soprano's "s", or the awkward thump of a vocal percussionist directing too much air into the mic.

Winning benefits:
- I use my iPhone to adjust levels between songs while I'm on stage. Wifi connectivity is flawless.
- The text, icon, and photo labels that you can assign to the tracks make it about a billion times easier than if everything were just numbered.
- I handed Shure PG-48 mics to 13 people who had between "zero" and "little" experience using hand-held mics, and it took a little adjusting and learning, but basically it works like frickin' magic. Our songs range from whisper-quiet to shouting-loud, but I can leave the gain adjustments in exactly the same spot all the time, and tell our singers to just keep the mics pressed to their lips.
- The company isn't a faceless, massive producer of hardware. It seems to genuinely care that their users get something valuable out of the products that they buy. (Based on their facebook page, their iOS app update descriptions, and the 1608 website.) This means that the documentation is extensive, that the app updates are often accompanied by demonstration videos from their arrestingly awkward product design guy, and that, if I ever needed support, I'm confident that I would find their team knowledgeable and thoughtful.

Unfortunately, recording *within* the mixer is tough. It will record a wav file on the iPad, but you can't play it until you download it to your computer. I'm contemplating buying some contraption (or collection of contraptions) that let me record from the six monitor outputs in parallel so that we can record each voice part separately, plus solo and vocal percussion.

Watch out that you're getting the right connector. My 1608 has a 30-pin connector so I can't sell my iPad 2 even though I've now bought an iPad Air (which has the Lightning connector). Mackie does sell conversion kits, but their cost isn't trivial, nor is the tinkering with screwdrivers and electrical connections that I read about in the conversion kit instruction manuals.

A few handy accoutrements you may want to buy at the same time: (1) For anyone who, like me, is new to handling a mixer with a bunch of inputs, I got vinyl electrical tape in assorted colors; everyone's mic, cable at both ends, and mixer input is labeled with a certain combination of 1, 2, or 3 colors. (2) A refurbished wifi router. (3) The rack mounting kit. (4) An 1/2"-to-1/4" jack adapter if the headphones you'll be using have the "normal" kind of plug.

Related to item number 4 in that list: The headphone output is the only stereo output. All the monitor outputs are mono, and of course the "real" outputs are separate left and right XLRs.

Ultimately, nothing could be simpler than arriving at a bar or venue, handing the staff engineer a pair of XLR cables and saying, "I've got this." Makes me feel like a champ.

Marathon MA-M4U Flight Road Case
Marathon MA-M4U Flight Road Case
Offered by Beach Audio
Price: $196.00
3 used & new from $174.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked out great, December 4, 2013
It's really solid -- almost too much so. That is, its heavy wood definitely makes me feel like I don't need to worry about the things inside, but it's heavy enough that I can barely move it around with just myself and a hand truck.

There are four moving pieces: the top obviously comes off; a front panel comes off; and there's a door that opens in the back. The door has a large round hole cut in it, but a metal plaque is riveted over the hole, but it looks like a screwdriver and some motivation could knock that sucker off if you wanted to use the hole to run some cables.

Notably, there are heavy-duty rubber feet screwed onto the bottom that protect floors from the metal corners, and protect the metal corners from concrete.

When it arrived, a couple of the rivets on the bottom had popped off. Didn't seem to have much of an impact on whether it would do a good job, but I'd be damned if I were going to pack this huge thing back up and ship it for a replacement.

Heads up that it comes with rackmount screws. Anyone need the extra pack I bought?

And lastly, I freely admit that I was drawn to this case because the look of it makes me feel like a 'real' musician. No disappointment on that front.

SKB Injection Molded case w/foam for (16) Mics w/storage compartment
SKB Injection Molded case w/foam for (16) Mics w/storage compartment
2 used & new from $387.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Total win, December 4, 2013
Closes up securely, isn't too heavy, has a storage compartment that's just large enough to fit a few cables (but not 16) or other doodads, and I feel that my mics are coddled like baby doves. It's got everything I wanted.

Mackie DL1608 Powder Coated Rackmount Kit
Mackie DL1608 Powder Coated Rackmount Kit
Price: $99.99
10 used & new from $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish it were cheaper, December 4, 2013
Quality: This is one seriously heavy-duty piece of metal. I don't have the foggiest why it costs a hundred bucks, but I rolled with it, and it definitely gets the job done.

Design: I mounted it in a Marathon 4-unit, slant-top road case. I use the 1608 to individually mic 13 singers, so I leave the mic cables plugged into the mixer always. I ended up rotating this rack 180 degrees so that the inputs were actually at the *bottom* of the slant, or else the XLR connectors stuck up far enough that the top of the case wouldn't fit on all the way.

Little Tikes Jungle Jamboree 2-in-1 Piano/Xylophone
Little Tikes Jungle Jamboree 2-in-1 Piano/Xylophone
Price: $20.99
20 used & new from $13.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely thrilled one little girl, December 4, 2013
I bought this for my niece when she was 6 months old or so. We didn't put out the music stand, and all she wanted to do with the drumsticks was put them in her mouth, which is exactly what I expected -- we just let her explore the keys. She seems to love having the ability to make sounds.

It was important to me to find something that was not electronic so that she could really get a feel for the cause-and-effect of the physical world. They keys in this "piano" have little hammers that hit the xylophone bars from the bottom.

It took her about a half hour to figure it out, which went something like this:
Step 1: Look it has colors, and it seems to have noises coming from it when other people touch it
Step 2: oo, I can touch the colors
Step 3: When I take my hand away, it makes noise
Step 4: When I rest my hands on it, it doesn't make noise
Step 5a through 5d: Rapping on it makes noise
Step 6: (looks around) Are you all appreciating what's going on here?!!?
Step 7: eeeeeeeeeeeee!
Step 8: Parents suggest a videotaped recital

And now my sister says that she'll turn around and her daughter will have crawled across the room to play with it. (The drumsticks stay tucked in their storage slots underneath.) Couldn't be happier with the results of this present.

At the Bridge Panorama Advent Calendar
At the Bridge Panorama Advent Calendar
Offered by A Bit of Britain in Arvada Colorado
Price: $16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Way better than expected, December 4, 2013
This calendar is great! I grew up with little-picture calendars, not chalky-chocolate calendars, so missing out on candy could be a downer for you. But this guy has a lot going for it:

- You can't tell from the photo, but the center section pops-out, literally forming a bridge between the far-left and far-right panels. The three-dimensionality gives it amped-up display-factor, and it also lets it stand on its own so you don't have to prop it awkwardly against something.
- When you open the little windows, they aren't just miscellaneous Christmasy things scattered at random intervals around the picture, but are placed on windows and such so you're revealing views into the buildings to see the festive things going on inside. Really charming, and it's like slowly having it tell you a short story when several consecutive days open into the same building.
- Glitter should always be handled in a biohazard suit, for fear of, three days later, someone at work saying, "I think, um, is that a single spec of glitter on your nostril?", but honestly, it just makes some things better, and advent calendars are one of them.

Gillette Fusion Proglide Men's Power Razor, 1 Count
Gillette Fusion Proglide Men's Power Razor, 1 Count

2.0 out of 5 stars Smooth, but tugs a lot compared to a Norelco, July 4, 2013
I got this razor for free through a marketing campaign, and was eager to try it. However, I found that it tugged really unpleasantly, even though the blades were of course brand new. Maybe it's just that I'm used to an electric razor (Norelco). It did give an extremely close shave, though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2013 7:08 AM PDT

Luigi Bormioli Roma 12-3/4-Ounce Double Old Fashion, Set of 4
Luigi Bormioli Roma 12-3/4-Ounce Double Old Fashion, Set of 4
2 used & new from $21.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but unexpected decal, December 23, 2012
I bought these as a Christmas gift for a scotch-drinking coworker, and I couldn't be happier with the size, the heft, how they fit in the hand, etc. However, they come with little stickers on them, which is all well and good, except when you take them off you realize that they're hiding what looks like a permanent decal that says "Sparkx" (the same way that a glass measuring cup says "Pyrex"). It was disappointing, and cheapens the item significantly; if they *had* to have it on there, couldn't they have put it on the bottom??
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2015 4:13 AM PST