Profile for R. Huereca > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Huereca RSS Feed (Huntsville)

Page: 1 | 2
Professional WordPress Plugin Development
Professional WordPress Plugin Development
by Brad Williams
Price: $32.10
60 used & new from $13.41

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have and timely book for WordPress developers, March 3, 2011
A formula for success:

1. Put together an idea and outline for a book that hasn't been covered in-depth before.
2. Gather three of the most talented WordPress developers/writers and have them write the book.
3. Release the book and watch the Elves return back to Middle Earth to rejoice with men.

Professional Plugin Development, written by Ozh Richard, Justin Tadlock, and Brad Williams, is a much-needed and very timely book.

There have been several aspiring developers that have approached me saying they needed a start-from-the-basics WordPress plugin development book. And while Professional Plugin Development does teach the basics of plugin development, it quickly moves on to much more complex topics.

The book covers the topics I care most about, such as:

* WordPress Plugin Foundation and Best Practices
* WordPress Security
* WordPress Actions and Filters (aka, hooks)
* And Ajax

But the book goes beyond basic plugin development. It teaches you about plugin options, CRON for scheduling common tasks, storing data (whether it is via post types, transients, or options), the HTTP API (for retrieving remote data), users (how to set up roles and capabilities), localization (err, internationalization), and how to test plugin performance.

For a novice PHP and WordPress developer, this is a good starting point. But don't think of this book as your way to learn PHP, jQuery, or even basic WordPress (there's WordPress for Dummies for that).

This is a book written by developers for developers. And I must say that I learned a lot from this book, and I've been developing WordPress plugins and themes for almost six years.

Here are the things I learned most from this book:

* The Why. I've used a lot of the techniques from the book before, but now I have a better understanding of why the techniques should be implemented. An example is security and WordPress coding best practices.
* Rewrites and Cron. These two topics escape me (no pun intended) for some reason, but I have a much better understanding of how everything works behind the scenes.
* Security. Security can not be stressed enough, and very solid security tips are sprinkled throughout the book (and the topic even receives treatment via its own dedicated chapter).
* Multisite. I've been working with multisite for almost a year now, and it's a topic I'm still learning in-depth. The chapter gives a great explanation of terms and common pitfalls.

Last, but certainly not least, the book goes into great detail for what you should do after you've released a plugin, whether you want to release it for free in the official WordPress repo, or have it available exclusively on your own site (whether commercial or free). The book explains marketing, how to set up automatic updates (albeit a bit glossed over), and how to get the plugin on the official repo.

This is a highly recommended book, whether it be the print version, or digital.

Woven & Spun
Woven & Spun
Offered by Alexander's Great Treasures LLC
Price: $9.95
98 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Christian CD, December 28, 2003
This review is from: Woven & Spun (Audio CD)
I am not a fan of Christian music by any means. I've been searching high and low for "quality" Christian music. What I mean by "quality" is music that can stand up to the listening ability of non-Christian music.
After listening to this album, I quickly fell in love with the lyrics, melodies, and vocals. This is a great Christian album and will probably get as much play as my non-Christian CD's. I would recommend this for anybody searching for a great Christian CD that they can listen to over and over.

Blink 182
Blink 182
Price: $11.73
39 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Blink CD Since Duderanch, November 21, 2003
This review is from: Blink 182 (Audio CD)
Blink 182's new cd is so different than any music you'll hear on the radio right now. It's so different, in fact, that it might possibly create a new genre of music. Not that change isn't good. In this case, change IS good.
Blink's new cd is a much different road than their previous cd's. The sound is more grown up, more professional, and better orchestrated. All the songs I have heard so far are very catchy. All seem single worthy. And after getting the Clean version, I don't have to get hit by absurd lyrics.
If you liked previous Blink CD's, you'll like this one. Yeah, they've changed quite a bit, but it's for the best. I would've killed Blink if they would have come out with another TOYPAJ (not that I didn't like it). A band needs to evolve, and they took a giant leap forward.
Thanks for reading my review.

Sticks and Stones
Sticks and Stones
Price: $8.59
157 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Talented vocals, good guitar playing, semi-great lyrics, December 27, 2002
This review is from: Sticks and Stones (Audio CD)
I bought this CD in the hopes that this one was as good as their last. In a way, I was kinda disappointed. I was looking for more of a punk kinda album, but NFG seems to have mellowed out a little bit.
Overall, the songs are great. Even though it wasn't a punk cd, it was still quality music. Almost all the songs are catchy, however, the lyrics can get a little cheesy. Overall, I think the song writing is poor. They're laced with cliche after cliche and it gets kind of annoying. All their songs talk about roughly the same thing. The lyrics seem to be more focused on the early high school audience, if not junior high.
Hopefully on their next cd the guy who writes the songs finds more entertaining things to do than write his songs only about girls. And hopefully his song writing grows up as well.
Other than some of the lyrics, the songs are really catchy and the music is downright good. Thanks for reading.

Creative Labs Dual-Mode PC-Cam 750
Creative Labs Dual-Mode PC-Cam 750

5.0 out of 5 stars Great webcam, and a great camera!, December 27, 2002
My dad actually got me this thing for Christmas and I was immediately impressed by how simple the operation is for this camera. At 2.1 mega pixels, this camera delivers surprisingly crisp pictures. And not like most webcams, you can take this camera anywhere and take pictures. It runs on 4 AAA batteries (included), and it adjusts to even the darkest of conditions.
When I did a video conference with my dad, the video on his end came in crisp using cable connections on both ends. The video recording feature on the webcam is also great, but I have yet to find a feasible use for it. For the money, this camera is well worth it's weight in gold.

Box Car Racer
Box Car Racer
Price: $7.39
89 used & new from $0.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Delonge is great on this album, May 27, 2002
This review is from: Box Car Racer (Audio CD)
Boxcar Racer, a band made up of Tom Delonge and Travis Barker from blink 182, is a mixture of heavy metal/alternative music. The music and lyrics are very different than that of Blink 182, however, I liked the change. There is only one song on the album I would skip through, which is the hardcore punk song. Other than that song, the album is a masterpiece of guitar riffs and vocals. If you're a hardcore punk fan, you may want to go somewhere else. But if you're a loyal fan to Blink 182 and want to hear some great music, try this album out. It's worth the money! Plus, the downloaded versions and the cd versions are different so it is worth it to buy it.

Flags of Our Fathers
Flags of Our Fathers
by Ron Powers
Price: $18.27
771 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is almost too realistic, March 30, 2002
This review is from: Flags of Our Fathers (Hardcover)
Flags of Our Fathers gives so much justice to the men who fought on Iwo Jima.
The book starts off kind of dry (which is why I gave it 4 stars). The book includes a short biography of each man who raised the flag on Iwo Jima, then goes into their training and how each one eventually crossed paths. The book then explains the whole battle of Iwo Jima from start to finish; revealing the heroic acts, and the terrible slaughter. After explaining the battle, the book goes into what happened to the three surviving flag raisers.
I loved this book because I simply love to learn about America's history. This book can be overwhelming due to the detail it goes into surrounding the battle. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to appreciate what our previous generations have done to preserve our freedom.

White Lilies Island
White Lilies Island
Offered by insomniacsonline
Price: $9.99
184 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars You have got to get this album, March 11, 2002
This review is from: White Lilies Island (Audio CD)
I fell in love with Natalie back when Left of the Middle came out. Then last September, I heard rumors that her new c.d. was coming out. I checked about every month for confirmation; and finally, in March, it came out! I went and bought it without hesitation, without listening to a single song from the album. I must have caught a stroke of luck or something, because there is not one single bad song on this album.
Most of the album is slow, melo-dramatic beats. Watch out! These songs will get stuck in your head and you wont be able to get them out! The song writing is very talented. There are a couple spooky songs on the c.d. that leave you thinking.
Anyways, I would really recommend this album to anyone that liked her first c.d.; or to anyone who wants to listen to quality music, which is hard to come by this day and age.

Atomic
Atomic
Offered by MediaWarehouseUSA
Price: $10.89
103 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars This cd is a big let-down, December 30, 2001
This review is from: Atomic (Audio CD)
I made a big mistake buying this album. I loved their last album(A place in the sun) so much, that I bought this CD without even listening to it online first. The things I liked about the last album(the lyrics and guitar playing) are gone. Some of the songs sound good, but the lyrics are really annoying. I mean, who cares if you took her out on a Friday night and got smashed? The lyrics are so blunt; they are pathetic. Embedded in them are so many cliches, that the lyrics to the songs get annoying. The lyrics are not something you would want to catch yourself singing in the shower. If you want a good CD, go buy "A place in the sun", or try Blink 182 or New found glory. At least Blink and New Found Glory sing about something worthwhile.

Scary Movie
Scary Movie
DVD ~ Anna Faris
Offered by SourceMedia
Price: $4.55
313 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for the DVD Version, December 23, 2000
This review is from: Scary Movie (DVD)
The movie is totally great... I would buy it... if it would work! Scary Movie has a defect in it that doens't let it play on some DVD players. I know JVC, Hitachi, and other DVD players are not able to play this movie... So do some research and call your DVD player company and see if they are having problems with Scary movie as well. Hopefully the manufacturers of Scary Movie do a recall as many places have removed the DVD from the shelves because of the high return rate.

Page: 1 | 2