Profile for TheReaderBee > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 119

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

TheReaderBee RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Something Strange and Deadly
Something Strange and Deadly
by Susan Dennard
Price: $12.59
97 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Action packed zombie novel!, August 22, 2012
Something Strange and Deadly is an action packed zombie novel by debut author Susan Dennard. The book definitely holds true to its title, it's full of lots of strange and deadly things that will keep you hooked to the pages and wanting more!

Sixteen year old Eleanor Fitt is on a mission to find her brother that has mysteriously gone missing. Along with her search, she's also dealing with her mother who is trying to marry her off to any rich man that she can find, and also with the zombies that are rising in her town. With the help of a couple of new friends, they must find the person who is responsible for raising the dead, the same person that may also have kidnapped her brother as well.

Eleanor was a very interesting character. She was not one to sit around and doing nothing, but she took action in her own hands and did what she had to do. She did not let her fear hold her back while she searched for her brother. She is such a great heroine; these kinds are my absolute favorite. The few times we see her rattled is when Daniel, one of the Spirit-Hunters helping her in her search, left her in mess of confusion. The relationship between Eleanor and Daniel was adorable, and I love that it grew over time, and didn't happen right away. They make a great team!

The secondary characters in the book were engrossing as well. Joseph and Jie, who were also Spirit-Hunters, were each interesting in their own unique ways. The one character that constantly left me in a state of confusion was Clarence Wilcox, would be suitor to Eleanor. I just couldn't figure him out, and while I didn't want to like him, I ended up loving him a bit in the end.

The thing I liked most about this book is that there is always something going on in it. I read this in one day, which doesn't happen for me often. I just HAD to know what was going to happen! The world-building was so creative; I loved reading the descriptions of the time period. There was no cliffhanger ending for this book. While there is a build-up for the next novel, the novel was wrapped up nicely, and I definitely had closure at the end.

Overall, if you love a good zombie novel, you should definitely check out Something Strange and Deadly. It will not disappoint! I'm itching to get my hands on the next book in this awesome series.

Happy Reading!

Beautiful Disaster: A Novel (Beautiful Disaster Series)
Beautiful Disaster: A Novel (Beautiful Disaster Series)
by Jamie McGuire
Price: $9.28
331 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!, August 22, 2012
I was so excited to get my hands on an advanced reader of Beautiful Disaster, as I had heard so many different thoughts on the book. I wanted to read the book so that I could form my own opinion of the story. I have to say, this book is a roller-coaster ride, and will leave you with very mixed emotions.

Abby Abernathy has a secret past, one that she has run a long way from. A new school with new friends, a new beginning is exactly what she needs. All is well, until she catches the attention of the school bad boy, Travis Maddox, who is completely blown away by her resistance to him. Never one to be rejected, Travis does whatever he can to get Abby into his life. But can Abby live with the dominating Travis in her life?

Abby, the main character, was both headstrong and also extremely frustrating. I love that she stood up to Travis's crazy ways, for the most part, especially when there were red flags going up all over the place. However, it was insanely frustrating that she used other guys just to hurt Travis. It really made me want to shake her and tell her to quit playing games. But other than that, I found her to be a likeable character.

The thing I love most in male characters is the tortured hero. I don't know what it is, but I can't get enough of them. Travis is definitely a tortured soul. My heart broke for him multiple times, but I also found him infuriating at times as well. He was such a completely complex character; I still haven't completely figured him out. Yes, he was overbearing and quite dominant, but he also had a completely different side to him as well, and that's the side that I fell in love with. He broke my heart more than a few times with his emotions. I love this man. (On a side note; I totally picture Travis as Channing Tatum! Check out his movie Fighter, and you will see why.)

The secondary characters were interesting as well, with my favorites being Shepley, Travis's cousin and America, who was Abby's best friend. America was a really great friend to Abby. There was also Finch, who Abby and America met on their first day of school, who was a loner just like Abby. I love him!

If you love a good love story, full of emotional angst and drama, this is definitely the book for you. I loved the storyline as well. That kept me hooked, and flying through the pages faster than I expected to.

There were a few small issues that I had with the book, however. As an adult that knows the difference between right and wrong, I found this book to be a fascinating read. As a mom to a teenage girl, I have many issues with the book. I can't imagine a teenager reading this and understanding how many things were wrong with relationship. For that one reason, I wouldn't recommend this for the younger YA crowd. (I had this problem with Twilight as well. While the story is romantic and understandable by most, younger girls that are easily swayed may not see the problems with the relationship; the possessiveness, the codependency, etc.) This book also contains a great deal of violence, sex, underage drinking, and vulgar language. As an adult, this doesn't make me love the book any less, but as a parent, it makes me cautious with my extremely sheltered child. (That's just me though!)

Overall, I really enjoyed this book, so much more than I expected to. This is a book that will stick with you long after you've read the last page. I can't wait for my finished copy to arrive so that I can read it again! Also, we will also be getting a book in 2013 that is Beautiful Disaster from Travis's perspective; Walking Disaster. I SO can't wait to get my hands on it!

The Treachery of Beautiful Things
The Treachery of Beautiful Things
by R F Long
43 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating fairy tale novel, August 22, 2012
The Treachery of Beautiful Things is a fascinating fairy tale novel by author Ruth Frances Long. I was drawn to this book by its gorgeous cover, but the novel itself is what completely blew me away!

Seventeen year old Jenny visits the woods where her brother, Tom, disappeared 7 years before, in hopes of finally coming to terms with his disappearance. While in the woods, Jenny is lured into the trees by the sound if familiar music. She quickly discovers that the world in the trees is completely different than her own. With the help of Jack o' the Forest, she must find a way to save herself, and her long lost brother as well.

The characters in the book were all interesting. Jenny, the main character, was head-strong and brave. I love that she never gave up on finding her brother. Even through all the weirdness, she never gave up. I really enjoyed her character. Jack, who is a guardian in the forest, has to be my favorite character of the book. He was so mysterious and was so torn between what he should do for himself, and what he has to do for Jenny. I really enjoyed the relationship between these two characters. Especially the ending, it was so very sweet.

The storyline for this book was really interesting. It reminded me a lot of the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa, but only because it had similar characters; Robin Goodfellow, Oberon, Mab, etc. But that is where the similarities end for me. The story was unique enough that it kept me guessing throughout the whole book. Things I should have caught on to pretty quickly completely passed me by because I was so engrossed in the book. It was that good! This is also a stand-alone novel, and the end of the book left me with the perfect amount of closure. I loved it!

Overall, I really enjoyed this book! With its unique storyline and awesome characters, it makes for a really engrossing read! I am really looking forward to reading more books in the future by this wonderful new author.

Happy reading!

Once: An Eve Novel
Once: An Eve Novel
by Anna Carey
Price: $14.17
74 used & new from $1.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Sequel!, July 23, 2012
This review is from: Once: An Eve Novel (Hardcover)
This book was SO much better than I was expecting! I love it when a book throws me completely off guard, and that's exactly what happened when I read Once, the much anticipated follow up to Eve by Anna Carey.

After a series of events gone wrong, Eve is now trapped in the City of Sand, at the mercy of none other than the King of New America. Here she discovers an unsettling secret about her past, and must try to come to terms with what this secret means for her future. It's up to Eve to do whatever she has to do to save the ones she loves.

Eve has definitely come a long way since I first met her in the previous book. She is no longer the sheltered, naïve young lady. Here we see a girl that has been through more than any girl should ever have to go through, and she's a survivor. She's also very strong and determined, and I found that to be so refreshing compared to the girl we first met. As if I thought I couldn't love Caleb more than I did in the previous book, I fell in love with him even more in this sequel. Unfortunately, we don't get to see him quite as much as I hoped, but the parts of the book that he is in are extra special. I adore the relationship between him and Eve.

We are also introduced to quite a few new characters in Once, and there are a few characters that you are going to love to hate. (I sure did, anyways.) A few of our favorite characters from the previous book make a comeback as well, and it was interesting as well as heartbreaking to see what had happened to some of them.

Once is filled with lots of different twists that will keep you guessing right up to the end. When I actually had time to sit down and read, I flew through the pages, just because I needed to know what was going to happen next. There were quite a few emotional parts in the book that had me tearing up as well. (Blah!) The ending of the book is another massive cliffhanger, which has left me completely pining for the next book in the series. (Must we really wait until next spring??)

Overall, I really enjoyed this sequel. I was super curious to see how things would play out for Eve and Caleb, and I definitely wasn't disappointed. Bring on the next book in this series, and quickly, please!

The Unquiet
The Unquiet
by Jeannine Garsee
Price: $13.25
84 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Super creepy read!, July 20, 2012
This review is from: The Unquiet (Hardcover)
My first impression about `The Unquiet' is that this book is super creepy! I love a good ghost story, and this book definitely doesn't disappoint. It's mysterious and eerie, and will keep you guessing right up to the end!

The main character in the story, Rinn, is a highly flawed young lady. She's bipolar, and she's made a lot of bad choices in her life that she is now paying for. Even with all of these flaws, I still found a way to connect with her on a really strange level. I really enjoyed the relationship between Rinn and the boy that lives across the street, Nate. It wasn't love at first sight for these two, but a relationship that grew over time. I love the sarcasm between the two the most. Ha!

I had a hard time connecting with almost all of the secondary characters, most being the `friends' that Rinn made at her new school. Then there were a few characters that I really wanted to know more about, that we were left hanging about. (As in the janitor, Nate's dad, Rinn's dad, etc.)

The world-building and pacing for the book was very well done. The mystery in the book definitely kept me guessing. I flew through the pages just to know what was going to happen next. I did expect a bit more from the ending after the intense build-up throughout the book. I did like that this book could be left as a stand-alone book, or could have a future sequel as well.

Overall, I found this to be a really enjoyable ghost story. The characters, while flawed, were interesting and the mystery kept me hooked. I am really looking forward to reading more by this author in the future.

Dark Companion
Dark Companion
by Marta Acosta
Price: $13.99
101 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read., July 20, 2012
This review is from: Dark Companion (Hardcover)
I will admit it; I was drawn Dark Companion by its gorgeous, creepy cover. It's so very pretty! After finally reading the synopsis, this book sounded like something I definitely wanted to read. Here are my thoughts on the book!

Jane Williams has had a hard life in her few short years. Pulled out of poverty thanks to a scholarship to the Birch Grove Academy for Girls, things finally seem to be looking up for Jane. But things, and people, aren't what they seem at Birch Grove, and Jane must decide if she wants to stay, or if she's willing to give up everything to have what she wants.

Jane was a bit of a difficult character for me to like, mostly because she so very indecisive about everything. Ok, not really about everything, just about Lucky, the headmistress' son. She knew that she wanted to get out of the hood and make something of herself, but when it came to Lucky, she was a complete, blubbering mess. One minute she wanted him, and the next she didn't. I didn't like Lucky at all, so it was super easy for me to make the decision for her. I really had my ups and downs with both Jane and Lucky. These are the two characters I had the most problems with.

There were a few characters in the book that I really loved. Mary Violet, who is Jane's friend and schoolmate, has to be my favorite character in the book. She is always spouting poems about anything and everything, and she also saying crazy things in French. She was a hoot! There's also Jack, who is the headmistresses other son, was a complete riot. He was mysterious, snarky and a wee bit sexy as well. I loved the parts of the books that we got to share with Jack; I just wish he was in more of the book!

The storyline was really unique, and not what I expected. The pacing was well done, although I did seem to have a hard time keeping focused on the book. (Not the books fault, that's all me.) There were a couple of parts in the book that involved blood and blood-letting, and that kind of grossed me out. (Again, that's all me!) Kudos to the author for such a unique read!

Overall, I did have a few issues with this book, but it was a good read. I see a lot of good reviews for the book, but I don't think I was exactly in the right frame of mind to read it at the moment. I am definitely going to give it another shot in the future.

Happy Reading!

Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy)
Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy)
by Leigh Bardugo
Price: $13.69
83 used & new from $4.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely unique!, June 26, 2012
The thing I loved most about Shadow and Bone was how completely unique the book was. I can honestly say that I have read nothing like this before, and I enjoyed every minute of it! The characters were amazing, the storyline was creative, and I was completely hooked to this book.

And here's why....

The main character in the story is Alina. Alina is a girl that was raised in an orphanage with her best friend, Mal. She's a normal girl, never to get a second glance. Until the unspeakable happens and she discovers a long hidden Grisha talent, a talent that no other person has. We see Alina grow leaps and bounds in this book, and we watch as she becomes stronger and more confident in herself. This is the type of character that I really grow to love.

Alina and Mal have been together almost all of their lives, from their time at the orphanage, to their time in the military. The more I read about these two characters, the more I believe they are absolutely perfect for each other. Mal is willing to do anything in the world to keep Alina safe. I loved him for that.

The Darkling, who is basically the ultimate Greisha, was such a mysterious character. He would also do whatever he has to do to keep Alina safe, but not for the same reasons as Mal. The Darkling has plans for the world, plans that he cannot accomplish without Alina, and he will stop at nothing to have things his way.

The world-building for this book was absolutely fascinating. It amazes me how authors come up with these super-creative worlds that I become completely engrossed with. The storyline was excellent as well. Just when I thought I had everything figured out, the author completely threw me a curveball. I totally didn't see it coming at all! These are the things that make for excellent reads!

Overall, I enjoyed this book so much more than I expected to. I must have a finished copy of this book to add to my bookshelf, and I can't wait to get a hold of the next book in the series!

Lies Beneath
Lies Beneath
by Anne Greenwood Brown
Price: $14.57
70 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read..., June 26, 2012
This review is from: Lies Beneath (Hardcover)
I was really looking forward to starting Lies Beneath, as I had read another mermaid novel previously and really enjoyed it. I haven't read many novels about the subject, and I was curious to see how this book would compare. I definitely was not disappointed.

Lies Beneath is told from the viewpoint of Calder, who is a merman. I haven't read many books from a male's point of view, but I found it to be very interesting. To be honest, I didn't think I would like Calder very much at first. It kind of bothered me the way he talked to Lily, it came off as a bit condescending. That always really bothers me. However, he does redeem himself a bit by the end of the book.

Lily is Calder's love interest in the story. She's very smart and strong willed. The thing that I liked most about her was that she didn't fall head-over-heels in love with Calder right off the bat. It was definitely a relationship that grew, and mostly it grew from Lily's uneasiness with Calder. It was nice to not have an insta-love relationship for a change.

Most of the secondary characters I really didn't care for. Especially Calder's sisters, Maris, Tallulah and Pavati . They were pure evil, and they had no second thoughts about killing innocent people, unlike Calder. These girls are ones that you are definitely going to love to hate.

I really enjoyed the storyline for the book. It had a bit of a darker plot to it than I expected, but that just kept me turning the pages. The ending of the book closes nicely, and not on a cliffhanger, much to my enjoyment. Instead it ends on a promise that will get to meet the characters again soon. I'm really looking forward to it!

Overall, this book was completely different than what I expected. I read it while sitting by the pool, and found it to be a quick, enjoyable read. If you like mermaid books, you should definitely add this to your list.

Happy Reading!

This Is So Not Happening (The He's So/She's So Trilogy)
This Is So Not Happening (The He's So/She's So Trilogy)
by Kieran Scott
Price: $13.69
84 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Loads of drama!, June 26, 2012
I started reading this series last year, and I really enjoyed reading the first two books in the series. I was so excited when `This is So Not Happening' finally arrive in my mailbox. I couldn't wait to dig into it.

After the events from the previous book left me hanging, I was really excited to see what would happen to the characters in this book. I definitely enjoyed Ally more in this book than I did in He's So Not Worth It. Poor girl, she finally gets her life back on track, when the big boom is dropped on her. She definitely handled things better than I would. I found myself to be increasingly frustrated with Jake, and as much as I loved him in the first book, I found myself completely shocked by all the drama he put Ally through in this book. And to be honest, it frustrated me even more that Ally was so forgiving of him. I know I wouldn't have been.

I enjoyed the secondary characters in the book just as much as I did in the previous books. Annie is such a great best friend to Ally. I was also glad to see that all of the girls pretty much got along this time around. It was the boys that were a handful!

This book, along with the whole series, has more teenage drama in it than I ever experienced in my whole entire life. Usually I am not into drama, but I couldn't get enough of it in this series. From the characters to the storyline and the drama, they all blend together to make quite an addicting read. I definitely just HAD to know what was going to happen next. The ending was well written, and I felt that the series ended in the best way possible.

Overall, I really enjoyed this series, and I hate to see it come to an end. I am definitely looking forward to reading more books by Mrs. Scott in the future!

Mirage (Haven)
Mirage (Haven)
by Kristina Cook
Price: $15.10
95 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sequel!, June 26, 2012
This review is from: Mirage (Haven) (Hardcover)
Mirage is the much anticipated follow up to Kristi Cook's captivating debut novel, Haven. I was so excited to finally get my hands on a copy of this book, and to also participate in the blog tour for the book! I just couldn't wait to read it. I remember in my review for Haven that I mentioned that the book and characters reminded me of The X-Men meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. When I met the characters once again in Mirage, it felt exactly the same way!

Mirage picks up a few weeks after Haven leaves off. It's now senior year for Violet and the crew, and Violet wants nothing more than to see Aidan again after their long summer break apart. But their last year of school is not going as smoothly as they hoped. A rouge vampire is on the loose, killing innocent people, friends are pulling away from the each other, and people prove to be not at all what they seem.

I love the characters in this series SO much. Violet is such a strong character. I love the relationship between her and Aidan. Ah, Aiden... He's one of the very first male protagonists that I fell in love when I started reading YA books. He's so mysterious and alluring; I just can't get enough of him. Together, these two make a great couple. They definitely have their trials in Mirage, but their love is still strong.

Violet also has some really great friends that we get to meet again in Mirage. I love Kate, Sophie, Whitney and Cece. Although there is quite a bit of drama between them, they are all such great friends to Violet. We are also introduced to some new characters along the way, on in particular that I'm still quite unsure about. I'm definitely hoping that we will learn a bit more in the next book.

The storyline was very well thought out, and the pacing for the book was just right. I flew through this book in just a few hours time. The book ends on a pretty big cliffhanger, and I'm dying to get my hands on the next book just to figure out what exactly is going to happen next! (Oh, the agnoy!)

Overall, if you enjoyed reading Haven, you're definitely going to enjoy reading Mirage! This series just gets better and better. I can't wait to read the next book in the series!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12