Profile for Penelope Low > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Penelope Low "Veganist" RSS Feed (Palo Alto, California)

Artisan Vegan Cheese
Artisan Vegan Cheese
by Miyoko Schinner
Price: $13.85
76 used & new from $9.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Miyoko is an incredible chef!, September 6, 2012
This review is from: Artisan Vegan Cheese (Paperback)
And now she's written a book documenting her creations. I wanted to try her recipes immediately after tasting them at the San Francisco Veg Fest 2011 where she demonstrated almond ricotta baked pasta shells, mozzarella that solidified almost instantly in a glass bowl filled with ice (very dramatic), and butternut nacho cheese dip. They were all wonderful and I have been waiting impatiently for this book to be published, and now it's out. All her dishes are indescribably, incredibly delicious. You just have to taste her food.

Even my skeptical "what's cheese without cow pus?" crowd were sufficiently impressed to remark "WOW! this stuff actually tastes like *real* cheese ..." and "I could be vegan if I knew how to cook like this".

So far, I've tried the cream cheese, Boursin, Muenster, and Gruyere and the fondue and they have been huge successes. The fondue was indistinguishable from what I remembered as conventional fondue. At Miyoko's cooking class, we had an omelet with the meltable Muenster and my 15 year old vegan was in heaven as she admitted that she did miss cheese, especially on pizza. I tried making my own Rejuvelac, but ended up trusting the Whole Foods' version more and used that instead. Miyoko's cheeses are far superior to anything that is available in stores. Not quite sure why that is, unless it has something to do with the longevity of the product.

There are ingredients in vegan cheese-making which may not be in an average pantry, but Amazon stocks everything that is necessary for making delicious non-dairy cheese. Tapioca starch is very inexpensive and readily available in any Asian grocery. Thankfully, rennet (only found in the stomachs of baby cows) used in most European cheeses is not a required ingredient. It is fantastic that something so delicious is also healthier, both physically and for the environment, and kinder to the animals.

We should thank Miyoko for sharing her genius and celebrate.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2013 10:37 AM PDT