Profile for Miss Misery > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Miss Misery RSS Feed

The Easi Reader Bookstand
The Easi Reader Bookstand

4.0 out of 5 stars Lacking for small paperbacks, February 28, 2011
I am a Philosophy major (undergrad) and I study very small, fat paperbacks. This stand is great for the traditional textbook, but if you are a Literature or Philosophy student you might find it difficult to use with novels and readers. But don't despair! Like any tool, I've had to learn how to use it through trial and error. You CAN make it work for just about any book if you mess with the settings for a while.

One thing I have found necessary when dealing with the rather bulky selections is to "break" them in. Here are some useful tips on how to do that:
[...]

I give this product four stars to show that realistically, it does not work easily with any book. I don't know if there is a better book stand out there for that. With practice and patience, however, it has become a handy item that I use daily.

Olympus FE370 8MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Dual Image Stabilized Zoom (Silver)
7 used & new from $39.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Wishing I'd done some more research, March 13, 2010
I bought this camera on impulse and, although it has made-do for the past couple years, I wish I had put more effort into finding a good camera.

The picture quality in daylight is fantastic, but beware of distortion when taking pictures from a distance (it makes people look wider than they are). When I say "a distance" I mean ten feet. That's pretty bad. When taking indoors the flash makes everyone look ghost-like. I can't seem to take a decent picture of my baby or my husband; I naturally find them adorable, but the camera consistently makes them look scary and sickly when indoors (not to mention myself!). I read the manual and fussed with various flash settings and it still made everyone look funky.

I wouldn't recommend this camera unless you're in a hurry and need a point-and-shoot for a daytime event. If you simply save an extra hundred dollars and shop around, I'm confident you'll find a better camera. Your friends and family would thank you if they knew all of the bad photos of them you avoided by not buying this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality & fit., January 9, 2010
I'm 34 weeks and I just received my "Gownie" in the mail. I ordered the "Nicole" print, which the picture represents accurately in color. The fabric is good quality!

I'm 5'5 and my pre-pregnancy weight was 120; my weight now is 145. I am a 34D. I ordered a small and the shoulders fit perfectly (if you are broad-shouldered I would order a M). The rest of the gown is very loose and has lots of room to spare (though I'm told I carry small), so if you are petite but have a giant belly and breasts then there will be plenty of room for you!

What's advantageous about the Gownie over the kind offered at the hospital is that my butt is not exposed to the world, the shoulders aren't falling down, and there are still snaps in the front for nursing. Oh and it's also "cute". I personally plan on giving birth in the hospital gown offered in the Maternity ward, and then wearing the Gownie after I've showered & until I leave (assuming I only have to spend 1 night there). You could avoid wearing the hospital gown altogether by ordering two Gownies, but I personally don't have enough money. I imagine the Gownie will also make for a great house dress for the week or two after delivery! I am thus far very satisfied with my purchase!

Clevercat Top Entry Litterbox
Clevercat Top Entry Litterbox
Offered by Gulf Coast Pet Supplies
Price: $37.99
22 used & new from $37.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, January 7, 2010
I've had this litter box for a month now and I love it.

Why I ordered the Clever Cat:
My cat Alice who is 12 lbs has persistently kicked litter up since she was a kitten. She compulsively digs for minutes after finishing in the box, leaving litter everywhere. I've tried every type of covered litter box ***including the Booda Dome*** and none of them kept litter off the floor. Alice would just kick the litter straight over the center of the Booda Dome out the hole in the front so the stairs didn't function as they were supposed to. Trying the clevercat was my last resort before just giving in to vacuuming every day around the box.

The results:
Both of my cats took to the box straight away. I helped ease the process by putting some of their soiled litter in the box so they would smell it if they were confused about where to go. As for the litter flinging and tracking:
Alice has to poke her head out of the hole while she's going so she can't kick any litter through the top afterward, and there is THE MOST MINIMAL TRACKING I've ever seen from a covered box *when* the box is positioned correctly up against the wall. If I put the box near a table or any other surface the cats WILL try to avoid the lid and they'll jump straight onto the other surface which tracks litter. I now keep the box isolated and there is practically no tracking at all. I have to vacuum maybe once a week.

I suppose I COULD have fashioned by own box out of a storage bin but to me $30 is worth the polished look and saving my time and energy. I do think it would be more reasonably priced at $20; that is my only criticism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo Bravado!, December 24, 2009
I am 8 months pregnant and I have tried an array of nursing bras; none before this bra have worked out for me. I was a 32 D before pregnancy, and now I am a 34 D-DD. The problem I kept having with other nursing bras (or bras in general) is that the M would be too small on the cup and the large would be way to big around my ribcage. Finding a 32 D in stores is nearly impossible, and finding a suitable nursing bra for a petite woman with larger breasts in stores IS impossible (you understand if you've ever gotten a silly look from an attendant after asking if they have your size). After doing a little research online, I decided that this would be the best bra to try.

This is definitely the most supportive and comfortable nursing bra I've tried. Here are some pros and cons as far as I can tell:

PROS:

1)The band is firm and thick with three hooks and several adjustments which prevents the rolling, bunching, and general irritation of the side of the band on other bras I've tried.

2) There are no loops fitted around the breast that sneak up and become exposed after a couple hours of wearing.

3) It is supportive enough to wear as a sleep bra. I have never owned a bra before this one (aside from sports bras) that my breasts did not fall out of as I slept. This bra keeps them in place all night.

4) I ordered a M, and I still have enough space for when my milk comes in and when I have to use nursing pads.

5) The shoulder straps are very adjustable which is great for my small shoulders

6) For how secure it fits, it's also discreet, seamless, and extremely comfortable!

CONS:

1) While the band is truly firmer than all other bras I've tried, it still buckles a tiny bit and sometimes rolls under. This could be due to me not wearing it properly though. Not really a con, just something I have to work out with the bra.

2) Not discreet enough to wear under a spaghetti tank. I suppose if it were, I would call it a miracle bra.

Eureka Whirlwind Hepa Filter Bagless Hepa
Eureka Whirlwind Hepa Filter Bagless Hepa

4.0 out of 5 stars Best vacuum I've ever had..., December 20, 2009
...though I haven't had many vacuums. This vacuum, as far as I can tell, has excellent suction that picks up all my pet hair (I have two long-haired Maine Coons) and the pet-paw attachment is fantastic for furniture, pillows, the cat tree, etc.

The "self cleaning" duster attachment, however, sucks; it's easier to clean the duster with the hose than with the special chamber they built for it. Also, the lever they installed to direct the suction to the duster-chamber broke off recently and I can't even superglue it back on because of the kind of plastic it's made of.

For the price I paid ($130 at Walmart), great vacuum though I suspect it won't last many years like a more quality one might.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, but be warned...!, December 20, 2009
This wall border really pulls the Bella set together. It just makes the room.

So the reason for the four star rating?
1) YOU HAVE TO BUY *CLEAR* "WALL-SIZE" BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO APPLY! I used a standard quality latex paint for the nursery and, thinking the directions were making a "suggestion" rather than a serious instruction to use wall-size, tried to hang it without the primer. BAD IDEA. It pretty much fell off the wall. Not only do you have to buy wall-size in addition to the border, but if it doesn't stick you'll have to order more which is bad because
2) IT'S EXPENSIVE! Yikes. I spent 70 something dollars total making up for the mistake and covering a fairly small room. One roll may not seem really expensive, but unless your nursery is pretty small you'll be using more than one roll.

I can't blame the company for my mistake but they probably should have made a stronger suggestion toward using a wall-cover primer since their adhesive sticks so poorly to latex-- esp. since most people are novice at hanging wall border. My suggestions to others who want to decorate their nursery is to read up all they can on applying wall-coverings (there are guides and videos online) and be sure they're prepared the first time.

Cocalo Bella Musical Mobile
Cocalo Bella Musical Mobile

4.0 out of 5 stars Very cute mobile but disappointed with song., December 14, 2009
The mobile is definitely cute and goes with the set. It plays "Braham's Lullaby" AKA Rockabye baby, which is kind of an obnoxious song not to mention a little creepy in mobile form. This is just my opinion, I'm sure it will do just fine for the baby. The plush elephants are good quality and assembly is easy. Five star quality, three star music, four star product.

Bella 6 Piece Crib Bedding Set
Bella 6 Piece Crib Bedding Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly what I expected, but pretty!, December 14, 2009
The set shown in the picture does not show how prevalent the green tones end up being, nor does it show in great detail the Indian-inspired patterns found in the set. It is nonetheless attractive and not as overwhelming in color and print as some of the other elephant crib bedding I've seen. I'm not a good judge of fabric quality for baby items, as this is my first baby, but it washed well according to the instructions and seems light and breathable.

I gave it four stars because the print and color are quite different from the picture. I will try to add pictures of it myself soon.

What to Expect When You're Expecting, 4th Edition
What to Expect When You're Expecting, 4th Edition
by Heidi Murkoff
Price: $8.85
1555 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Not "alarmist" or "fear-mongering.", December 14, 2009
Luckily I purchased this book before reading the Amazon.com reviews. The reviewers that gave this book a poor rating, claiming it is "alarmist" and "fear-mongering," are using exactly the kind of hyperbolic language they accuse the authors of using. I am normally overly self-aware and concerned about every little pain or abnormal feeling I have; if anything, the book's month-to-month description of possible symptoms and conditions helped reassure me that all the things I went through were normal and easily explained. It made for a convenient reference to further research things that were pertinent to my situation. I didn't find the book frightening or agenda-pushing at all. In fact, I thought it was much less concerning than the book that the doctor's office gave me.

The section on birthing options seemed fairly diverse to me. It did not condone using medications or seem to favor hospital birthing in any way. It encourages you at around 7 months to start thinking about and preparing your birthing plan so you can make sure it is carried out in the way you want it to be.

There is a whole section, at the back of the book, SEPARATE from the month to month sections, which covers the various conditions that can potentially complicate pregnancies. I think this section is more for mothers who are pre-disposed to these conditions or have already been diagnosed with them. The book in no way made me feel like I was at risk for any and all complications or that I had to sleep with all eyes and ears open. I myself have been at-risk with a short cervix so I found that section, and the section on the signs of preterm labor, to be helpful, informative, and unbiased.

The best and first place you ought to go with a pregnancy concern is of course your doctor or midwife. But if you'd like some handy and concise information on the kinds of things you MAY encounter month-to-month, why these things happen, and some possible ways to deal with them, then this is a fine book. I did not find the tone threatening, condescending, or heavily prescriptive by any means. I'm not sure why anyone would give it one star.