Profile for RGS > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

RGS RSS Feed (Minnesota USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Replacements - Color Me Obsessed: A Film About The Replacements
The Replacements - Color Me Obsessed: A Film About The Replacements
DVD
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Mats, September 26, 2014
Simply outstanding as stand-alone documentary. There are no photos, songs, or interviews with the members, yet if you are a fan of The Replacements, this is the only weapon you need to convince the unenlightened.

Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones
Price: $99.00
72 used & new from $86.00

3.0 out of 5 stars It completely depends on what you want to use it for., June 1, 2014
I don't know quite how to write this review. It really depends on how sensitive you are about audiophile quality. I, unfortunately, am completely sensitive and obsessed with flat and true sound; accuracy, to a fault.. I want to hear music, not speaker deficiencies.

These are VERY good for the money. I would imagine that most people won't hear the deficiencies. I am pretty much OCD about this type of thing. It took me three years and $4,000 to build a flat system in my car (old school Eclipse, Boston Acoustics C6 with 400 Watts of MB Quart driving the fronts alone, JL in the rear, dual 12" etc etc.blah blah (over 1000W RMS with very VERY low impedance) I am obsessed with accurate audio. I repeat, I don't want to hear speakers, I want to hear correct imaging with a flat EQ (no deficiencies in how the sound is represented.)

All of that being said, I purchased the ATH-M40x for my headphone computer and portable needs, primarily based on specs and reviews of comfort compared to the ATH-M50x (I want the detachable cables and I wear glasses.) I really think I would prefer the extra 5mm on the driver of the 50x. I am trying to replace my Sennheiser 380HD Pro's that got stolen. There simply is no comparison on the accuracy and the smoothness and depth of the highs and lows of the Sennheisers (yes, I broke the 40's in properly.) Absolutely no comparison.

If you value audiophile quality, the Sennheiser 380's are the way to go. You give up cable options even though the Senns have a detachable cable like the AT 50x or 40x.

The Audio Technica ATH-M40x's are VERY comfortable and light, but seriously, go Sennheiser 380's if you can handle a tighter fit on your head in exchange for phenomenally accurate sound.

Do you want "good" with really good comfort, or mostly comfortable with audiophile quality? If the latter is your choice, go with the 380's. They are outstanding. If you don't have a freakishly sensitive ear, the ATH-M40X is a great buy. I may try the 50x, but the Sennheiser cans are proven outstanding to me already. They are bliss.

As for the the 40x:
Pros:
Very comfortable and lightweight
Passable sound for most
Cons:
Sound leakage
90 degree rotation instead of 180 degree (and the 90 degree is in the wrong direction, going outward instead of toward the chest)
Weak bass response without an amp
Slight distortion at reasonable listening volume
I will be reordering the Sennheiser 380HD Pro's for only $30 more. No comparison on sound quality. ATH-M50X may be good, but many complaints about comfort. Read the reviews.

Darn these proprietary cables...
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2014 1:40 AM PDT

Live From Bonaroo 2005
Live From Bonaroo 2005
Offered by SONY Music Entertainment Downloads LLC.
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem, March 15, 2014
This review is from: Live From Bonaroo 2005 (MP3 Music)
This is the most heart-wrenching performance I have ever heard. It is even better when he did this set on Austin City Limits. The stand-up bass makes love to each song as well and is noteworthy in it's own right. If Ray's vocal doesn't move you profoundly on this one, you aren't listening.

2012 Johnny Lightning R20 1977 Dodge Monaco Unmarked Police Car Black
2012 Johnny Lightning R20 1977 Dodge Monaco Unmarked Police Car Black
Offered by Cat City Collectibles
Price: $14.99
3 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., December 31, 2013
Johnny Lighting stuff is always cool. This doesn't disappoint. Great detail and quality construction. Cool looking car. I love it and my kids love it. Hood opens.

The Sarah Silverman Program: Season 3
The Sarah Silverman Program: Season 3
DVD ~ Sarah Silverman

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened?, December 31, 2013
Season one got me hooked, I consider season two absolutely brilliant, and season three is....a different show. Something happened in the writing or...something. I actually wouldn't buy it again. Almost unwatchable.

Lasko #100 MyHeat Personal Ceramic Heater
Lasko #100 MyHeat Personal Ceramic Heater
Price: $17.97
62 used & new from $15.27

2.0 out of 5 stars What is the purpose of this product?, December 8, 2013
Stand up, put your arms straight out, palms vertical. Turn in a circle at a lazy pace. That is the output of the fan on this unit. It gets warm, but not hot (which may be good because there is not safety shutoff if it tips over.) Two stars instead of one because it is quiet, seems sturdy, is styled nicely, and has a long power cord. I really can't come up with what purpose this was designed for though. The instructions say "This Heater is intended for use as supplemental heat", which is what I wanted it for, but seriously you have to have it 9" away from your bare skin to feel it. Weird product. Get a Vornado VH101 for $30 instead if you want mellow but effective results with a few necessary features.

Offered by SONY Music Entertainment Downloads LLC.
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid., October 10, 2013
If you want more "Ain't No Rest For The Wicked" then just buy Beck's back catalog (which I love). This album, however, is an absolutely fearless album pulling from Ministry, Flaming Lips, Killing Joke, The Cure, Madness, The Damned, Bush, Flock Of Seagulls, XTC, Ben Kweller, Ok Go, Louis XIV, Butthole Surfers, The Replacements, Donovan, and Cold War Kids, but all with a CTE touch. Yet some of these songs could be at home (should be) on some of the deeper Coen Brothers soundtracks. Solid album.

Nature's Miracle Jaw Scoop, Jumbo (P-6008)
Nature's Miracle Jaw Scoop, Jumbo (P-6008)
Price: $15.29
18 used & new from $9.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Best of this style, one major flaw, August 16, 2013
I have owned several brands of this style of scooper. This seems to be the sturdiest. HOWEVER, the two red plexi pieces are at an upward arc right where your knuckles are when you release, and they are sharp. I don't have big hands, but this gives me "cut blisters" on my knuckles every time. They NEED to be arced the other way. I am so surprised I didn't see this in other reviews. Wear your gloves, or better yet, "Natures Miracle, go scoop a whole back yard and the flaw should be quite evident." Otherwise, the sturdiest of this style I have seen yet. I will be getting out my Dremel to modify this oversight.

Never Look Back
Never Look Back
Price: $9.49

4.0 out of 5 stars great stuff, December 15, 2012
This review is from: Never Look Back (MP3 Music)
Don't hesitate to buy. Young guitarist delivering very inspired and innovative performance. Eight more words required before I submit review.

Warriors: Omen of the Stars #2: Fading Echoes
Warriors: Omen of the Stars #2: Fading Echoes
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $6.64

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is awesome., October 5, 2011
I don't know much about this book. but i have been hooked from day one. and was messmerized. this is a good entry in the series.

warriors handle: spottedfire