Profile for A Reader with Gratitude and Appreciation > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 60

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A Reader with Gratitude and Appreciation RSS Feed (Minneapolis, MN)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
True Meditation
True Meditation
by Adyashanti
Price: $17.56
37 used & new from $12.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivered just as the Title Says, September 10, 2009
This review is from: True Meditation (Audio CD)
I bought the CD version for True Meditation from Adyashanti. I now listen to this set of CDs in my car ride usually. I attended a class a couple years ago around different ways to meditate (Buddhists meditation around compassion, breath, body awareness, mantra, visualization, healing etc). I have been to the Zen Center on a regular basis just to meditate.

This book helps me reconcile all the various type of meditations I learned. Yes, Adyashanti was right that each type of meditation has its purpose to alleviate suffering and help us dream better. These various types of meditations play important roles on the aspects of lessen suffering. In fact, they are usually the stepping stones to the path Adyashanti is pointing to. I am glad I did not purchase this set of CDs a couple years ago because I knew I would have listened to it once (might not be able to even get through it once) and let it gather dust somewhere because I had too pain to "allow everything to be as it is" nor have any extra energy to ask "Who am I". This set of CDs might not be good for beginners who are looking for an approach to lessen suffering (dream better). I would suggest Jon Kabit Zinn's series of books and CDs first unless the person truly feels very ripe and ready for this. There is nothing wrong to dream a little better first before deep realizations and waking up from the dream.

However, when healing starts to take place and suffering has been lessened in one's own psyche, True Meditation might be the one that will help us realize who we truly are (or wake up from the dream of form/delusion/illusion). The CDs talk about the meditator who is trying to control experiences and clarifications on the technicality of posture and eyes (close or open the eyes). His words are very concise and clear in pointing to reality and I love that.

The 3rd CDs has 3 guided meditations. They are tremendously helpful. However, I suggest doing the guided meditation in conjunction to silent meditation using his words as pointers... not to achieve some goal ... but to come back to our natural state of mind.

Yes, some people might say isn't this what Zen has on Shikantaza and Ramana Maharshi's self inquiry approach? Well, there are many fingers pointing to the moon. We can spend countless time in categorizing what Adyashanti's teaching (like examining and categorizing what type of fingers it is) instead of focusing the essence of the teaching (the moon). Which one would you choose? I would much rather spend time looking at the moon personally.

Thank you for reading.

The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment
The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment
by Adyashanti
34 used & new from $7.92

5.0 out of 5 stars A Precious Gift to Humanity, April 14, 2009
To be honest, when I first heard of Adyashanti and saw this book, "The End of Your World", I experienced an incredible sense of fear inside me. However, for the last couple years, I have experienced the disoriented feeling from various awakening moments from time to time. Some of these disoriented feelings were intense and I felt incredibly alone and isolated in this journey. And then, sometimes I feel like I went back to "sleep". I was most disoriented when my ego and those "Velcro" thoughts come back and stick back to me after some of those profound realizations from those same thoughts I had previously. I second doubted myself about whether I just deluded myself or not. However, as the awakening experiences start maturing (I continue have faith in staying in the present moment, here, now practicing unconditional love & meditation not knowing why), I also start inquiring deeply about all the thoughts coming from the ego (using Byron Katie's The Work approach), some of these thoughts dissolve much further but I was afraid using Byron Katie's approach on some of the deep rooted emotional issues until I listened to "The End of Your World".

This book helps me realize all the disorientation I experience was part of the process (My ego thought awakening is nice & rosey and reality told me differently). This book helps me realize I am not crazy and those moments of direct seeing of reality are also not delusion as my mind would have called it (I don't have a role model of what awakening looks like in my social circle which makes this book even more useful). During this process (thanks for reading these books written by Byron Katie, Eckhart Tolle and Dr. Wayne Dyer and listening to talks from Ajhan Brham), I start realizing my heart would go down the path of asking, "Why do I want to be upset or angry or judgmental?" the moment every time stressful thoughts are bubbling up. When I do not see the point (because my body, mind will start going at war), I just let the thought be. Peace usually comes to me but at times ... this was very uneasy for the little ego in my head to deal with as well as some people around me. This book, Adyashanti's words help explaining that although we do not want to react back with anger, judgment, it is useful to inquire deeply and sincerely to our own unpleasant thoughts and emotions (seeing the duality as it is). I have been inquiring sincerely deep down since then using The Work from Byron Katie. It brings a lot of peace and harmony to my daily life. I felt free from having these thoughts and not having myself to be run by them (or deal with these thoughts running around but I cannot believe in them entirely which gave me a push & pull feel in the head... that push & pull makes me very disoriented!). Adyashanti was right. The more we sincerely inquire, the less Velcro effect these thoughts sticks to us. I encourage readers to test what Adyashanti says themselves.

Adyashanti also explains how the mind, the heart and the gut works during the process of awakening and the energetic ("psychic") component works which I thought are very useful. His explanation helps me to deeply realize what has been going on for the last couple years. I also realize why I experienced the fear of buying this book in the beginning. I felt a push inside the deeper me to move from non-abiding awakening to abiding. I do not mean I will not get caught on the next stressful thought. However, I start having the sense that "What is the real point to sink, drown, drunk in stressful thoughts" and this sense grow stronger each day. I realize awakening is actually a one way ticket essentially (that was why the little "me" was fearful of its survival), even though it seems to have some interesting side roads that seem delusional. Adyashanti has effectively uses words as pointers to point the disoriented me through the process.

I also learned from Adyashanti around how the ego wants to co-opt with the experience of awakening and build that sense of superiority which is delusional. I thought that part of the talk is very usual to continue help keeping myself in the check by watching the mind.

I am sharing my learning here in this amazon review not because I want you to think I am superior or not (well ... according to Adyashanti ... I know I am not even "there" anyway ... yet I just want to continue being in the present moment loving the now, everything everyone around me without condition). I am sharing this because I want to let others know when they are going through the awakening process, they are NOT alone and disorientation might be part of it (that alone feeling is ultimately an illusion after I listened to this audio book).

The most important thing is you can read all I wrote and what every reader's comment they have here. However, it is truly a different experience if one decides to listen/read his book through "tasting" these words from Adyashanti deeply for themselves.

It is truly an uncensored straight talk as the book title suggested and I have not found any other book that tells us how to cope with the several things happen after awakening experience. It is truly a gift as humanity starts awakening. However, I would recommend this book to people who have some awakening experience instead of somebody who is trying to wake up for the very first time. For someone who is trying to wake up for the first time, I recommend Eckhart Tolle & Byron Katie's books might facilitate the process better. However, most important thing is one listen to their deep self and let their deep self to guide them which teacher, which book they want to get. I guess the "right" teacher always shows up at the "right" time.

Thank you for reading. Please feel free to agree and disagree, comment, complain. :)

Adyashanti - Thank you for creating this precious gift for humanity! Thank you! I am grateful of the pointers you have given.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2009 6:25 AM PDT

The Difference: How Anyone Can Prosper in Even The Toughest Times
The Difference: How Anyone Can Prosper in Even The Toughest Times
by Jean Chatzky
147 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome Book Connecting Our Lives and Money Matters together, March 27, 2009
I found this author from Oprah's web site and read this book. What I love about Jean Chatzky's book The Difference is that she gets to the point in a very calming way.

Money is often times linked to survival and fear in the modern society. I know many of us are raised to have this love-hate relationship with money. For instance, we love to have more money (e.g. one way to get there is to save and invest) but then we spend them instead of keeping them. In Jean's book, she started off describing the research she has done on the individuals who are classified in the following categories:
1. Wealthy
2. Financially Comfortable
3. Paycheck to Paycheck
4. Further In Debtors
Instead of being judgmental to any group of individuals, she simply pointed out "The Difference" wealthy people & financially comfortable people have (traits, the things they do, their beliefs, etc) versus individuals who are in the paycheck to paycheck & further in-debtors categories. Jean never for once went down the path to portray the "wealthy greedy" nor did she judge the "further-in-debtors" as financially irresponsible in her book. Instead, she mentioned many things wealthy and financially comfortable do are things paycheck to paycheck & further in debtors can learn to do to improve financially and our overall happiness (you can find her detailed suggestions in this book). She inspired all of us that to become financially comfortable and/or wealthy is not unrealistic goal in this life time through the research, her findings in the research and her interviews

I love these interviews. I used to have a gut feeling the not all wealthy and/or financially comfortable people are evil/greedy but I had no solid proof of such. Furthermore, if one has watched the news lately, it really does shaken some of my faith about this gut feeling I had all along (especially those news I hear about Wall Street big wigs cashing bonuses, etc). However, Jean's interviews in each chapter helps re-assuring us that pursuing financial goals does not automatically turn us into wealthy greedy categories. In fact, if we read through these interviews, one might realize the inner strengths many of the wealthy & financially comfortable individuals have and is something to admire and follow some of their paths.

Excellent book to get inspired to get our finances together. I highly recommend it!

I Need Your Love - Is That True?: How to Stop Seeking Love, Approval, and Appreciation and Start Finding Them Instead
by Byron Katie
Price: $19.10
53 used & new from $11.84

5.0 out of 5 stars I will Put 10 Stars Here if I can, March 11, 2009
Just when I thought Loving What is & Thousands Names of Joy are great wisdom written from Byron Katie, this one helped me put The Work Inquiry completely Alive in me.

After I read "Loving What Is", I start questioning my own thinking. I am thankful I read enough and have done enough meditation to start being aware of all my habitual thinking and not drawn into the stressful ones. I experience a lot less stress than my prior life (Thanks to Eckhart Tolle's teaching and many other books I read). However, there has always been one arena of life where I find a lot of anxiety and I could not drill down to why. This arena to me is "public speaking". When I saw the title of this book, I know this will be one to help me work through my anxiety combining Eckhart Tolle's teaching of being aware of ego, pain bodies and emotions.

I am a Toastmasters Member because I felt very passionate (yet very anxious) about speaking in front of others. I am aware of that ego in me and have stopped feeding that ego. However, it was still there when I do public speaking that will start talking right before I do a speech. I felt passionate about public speaking because I think I can offer a lot of learning to others (without wanting to be special). Yet, my anxiety towards public speaking impairs me to express things freely when I am at the podium.

However, this particular book helps me examine my unconscious approval seeking I have every time I stand behind a podium. This book shined the light of my unconscious thinking that I need to do great emotional back flipping in order to win their approval. When I get to the podium, I did not realize until I read this book that I pretend to be someone else (pretend to be a competent speaker) in order to win what I thought was approval. This book helped me learn that when I pretend because I believe in my anxious thoughts, I could not even appreciate others praise because I refuse to give any to myself! I second doubt their appreciative comments because I doubted me whether they would like the real me if I were on stage.

I questioned every anxious thought (most of them are approval seeking) I have about public speaking and I read my turnarounds often (almost daily). I found that I was not anxious in my last 2 speeches! Because whenever I have the thought, "I'd better to a good job here otherwise they won't like me." I would go to an auto-pilot saying, "Is that true? How do I feel when I think this thought? Who would I be without this thought? What is the turnaround?" The turnaround combining with deep breathing helped me be myself when I am out there.

Byron Katie's work helped me stop beating myself up after each speech. No matter how great my previous speeches were, I was never quite able to give the credit I deserve to me. However, I now always tell myself, this is perfect. Perfect for who? Perfect for me. I feel good because this praise comes from the place deep within me and not from that inflated ego. I am happy I am no longer at war with my own performance. I am actually no longer at war with me! :)

An Inconvenient Truth
An Inconvenient Truth
DVD ~ Al Gore
Offered by Phase 3, LLC
Price: $14.81
160 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An Awakening Call to All of Us, February 17, 2009
This review is from: An Inconvenient Truth (DVD)
I applauded what Al Gore did. Should he have won the election in year 2000? What would have the US and the world be like? Was he that passionate about global warming back then or would he have been pulled left and right and not able to focus on the global warming issue if he were elected?

One can ask many "what ifs" to that year's election. One thing one can be certain is that what happened gave Al Gore the chance to study and travel the globe to speak and educate us this pressing topic that needs all human beings attention NOW. I am thankful Oprah featured his DVD on one of her shows so to give me the opportunity to rent this DVD.

To not spoil the movie for readers, I will only put the highlights of what I have learned. Al Gore gave a presentation of what has been happening to the globe nowadays 1.) Climate change - Tornados, Hurricanes, Typhoons, draught, floods all because of the temperature change in the ocean 2.) The rising sea levels 3.) The destruction of habitat - e.g. Polar Bears 4.) How consistent the scientists have warned us about global warming issue.

It is a persuasive and powerful movie to wake us up to do every bit we can to slow down global warming and going green. I am glad Al Gore now brings it to the screen for us to view. The most striking scene is about that scale of balancing economy and the globe from a nation's perspective. From a personal perspective, it is about balancing our own bank account versus the environment we live in. Yet, it does not have to be completely that way. If we see renewable energy, fuel efficient cars, recycling (does not cost us anything to recycle other than taking the time to separate garbage), conserving energy (saves us money but we need to be aware of what energy we are using at the moment) as an investment to a greener, cleaner globe, it is apparent that everyone can act on creating a greener, more environmental friendly globe. We all just need to do our fair share and be aware of the little old habits have to do to mother Earth.

NOTE: Al Gore has a web site that educates us how we can save energy in affordable ways. It is worth reading and adopting some of his advice to our daily lives - many of his advice also help us save money in return!

Watch the movie and educate ourselves is great. However, what actions are we going to take now is more important than just watching and educating ourselves about the issue. One can maybe argue the details and the facts. But the truth is that global warming (in general) is real and it is happening. So, I ask the readers, myself the same questions Al Gore asked at the end of the movie. Do we want a greener world to be passed on to our future generations by doing our share? Or do we want to carry our old ways of living and let our dear innocent children, grandchildren to suffer the consequences of our own actions? We get to make a choice today and let us make one, follow through the choice that shows integrity and compassion to the world

Seven Years in Tibet
Seven Years in Tibet
DVD ~ Brad Pitt
Offered by amazingwildcat
Price: $9.73
120 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Movie that Moves Viewers Heart, February 17, 2009
This review is from: Seven Years in Tibet (DVD)
7 Years in Tibet is about a German-Austrian Mountain Climber - Heinrich Harrer's spiritual journey and his meeting with the young Dali Lama during his journey.

Although I am not a big fan of Brad Pitt, I thought he did an excellent acting job as the character Heinrich Harrer, who many of us can identify and relate to - The goal oriented and egoistic person who life brought him down to his knees feeling separated and isolated in the foreign country - Tibet (to not spoil the story, I will let you watch the movie to figure out what happen to this character). I am also happy the main character Heinrich Harrer was acted by Brad Pitt because he is a famous movie star (that makes many others want to watch the movie and be aware of the issue Tibet has suffered).

After I watched the movie, I also went on a google search to see a biography of Heinrich Harrer. I was surprised on how the costume and the make-up of the movie of the main characters match what I saw on the internet. It shows that the movie must have been made with great care of details to match the culture, the history and the times.

I love the story of this movie (and probably will buy the book to read some day) because it is different from the standard "love story" comedies or the violent victory movies portraying some heroes out there saving the world. The movie is made from a true story about Heinrich Harrer's friendship with the young Dali Lama and how the wisdom from Dali Lama helped Heinrich Harrer to grow spiritually as a human being (you have to watch the movie to experience this inspiration).

As a Chinese, I am ashamed of what the Chinese Government at the time did to Tibetans, yet I have no right to vote against their behavior and violence. I am ashamed of what the Chinese Government has done still today about not freeing Tibet, yet, I do not have a right to vote of a government that listens to my voice. My own parents suffered from separation, despair and sorrow from the same Chinese Government during Chinese Cultural revolution in the 60s. Therefore, even though I am not a Tibetan, I can understand what Tibetans must have been through - physical and emotional torture from this unconscious, egoistic entity.

I am writing this review to let others know that not all Chinese out there are ruthless and insensitive about this issue. I care about this issue and one could only hope the nation of Tibet can find its political freedom some day. Maybe political freedom will come later. However, may I humbly ask for healing, forgiveness Tibetans have suffered all these years because resentment, hatred, if any, can only poison ourselves further and these poison can be passed on to many more generations. All I can say is if I were ever a Chinese Government official, I would have been one/want to be one who can stand up representing the Chinese Government to say, "I apologize for what my government has done. Human beings are all one. Let us show respect, compassion, integrity just like the way the Tibetan culture have shown us - Compassion, non-violence, peace." May that time come soon as the global consciousness is awakening of itself.

A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are
A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are
by Stephen Mitchell
Price: $12.38
143 used & new from $1.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me Expanded my Consciousness of the World, February 4, 2009
I bought "A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are" in the audio CD version and fell in love with it. I listen it in my car when I drive every day. It brings me peace, calmness when I listen to both Steve Mitchell and Byron Katie's voice.

The audio version of the book always starts with Steve making a quote and Byron Katie elaborating on the quote. Everything they say rings true to how I truly feel and brings lots of joy and peace throughout the day. For example, Byron Katie would say something related to how she handles the pain of her cornea without a story. Her words truly inspired how I felt about the cold I was had this last week. Prior to Byron Katie, I would sometimes still feel "bad" and "sorry" for myself because I was "suffering" from a cold/flu and unconsciously have beliefs that I need to resist it. I usually would create my own turmoil unconsciously thinking fighting the cold will make me feel better.

However, her view about her cornea's condition made me realize I can certainly living in harmony with the way things (the seemingly terrible cold) are without opposition. That does not mean I sit back and do nothing. Instead, I take medication and take the time to rest myself well without the story "I am the poorest thing". Without the story like Byron Katie was saying, I realize how the cold inspired me to appreciate every breath I take in life. While I had the cold inside me, I had nasal congestion which does not allow me to sit and breathe properly. With Byron Katie's words here, I realize I have taken my health and meditation practice for granted. Without the nasal congestion (without accepting the cold was there), there was no opportunity to help me be aware and appreciate the beauty of breathing. Isn't that wonderful? That was a result from being inspired by this wonderful book and I thank Steven Mitchell and Byron Katie for that.

If you are new to Byron Katie's work, I would suggest reading Loving What Is first. Loving What is talks more about The Work Inquiry process and how the inquiry process changes the view of others thoughts. Although in the beginning A Thousand Names of Joy provided what The Work Inquiry is, I think readers might get more benefits out of it when the experience and read Loving What Is first prior to this book to get the full benefit.

Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life
Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life
by Stephen Mitchell
Edition: Audio Cassette
15 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Book, January 12, 2009
I received this as an Audio Cassette tapes as a gift for Christmas from my wish list. I was blown away by that nice, gentle, loving and kind voice Byron Katie has.

I have been practicing meditation (I mean with discipline) for about 8 months now and have been into Eckhart Tolle's teaching on and off for couple years. These two alone have helped me reduced my stressful thinking because I observed them without believing in every thought I think.

With the compliment of Byron Katie's inquiry process applying to every one of the stressful thoughts that come up in the last couple days, I suddenly felt a deep peace, joy within me. I was already feeling the peace and joy inside me deeply with Eckhart Tolle's teaching. However, applying Byron Katie's inquiry process dissolves every stressful thought I have. I cannot find one stressful thought that cannot be turnaround by "The Work".

When stressful thoughts just arise, (thanks to Eckhart Tolle's teaching on the egoic thinking & pain bodies as well as the meditation practice I have been doing), I am now able to effectively "catch it" before "it takes me over". However, even better now, I can "catch it" and do "The Work" and find a deeper pointer that rings true to me! This is so beautiful.

To me, I think audio version of this book works for me better because I can hear, feel the tone of "the Work" inquiry process ... This gives me a better experience to see how funny some of our stressful thoughts are in reality. I love the way Byron Katie says, "Hey sweetheart" or "my angel". There's so much love, gentle kindness there that each of us wants so bad inside us, available in us ... yet we search outside for that very thing we already have! Her gentle voice unlocked that gentle voice inside me to see and love reality the way it exactly is.

Have you ever had a song that resonates so well with your own anger and pain? Have you every tried doing her "turnaround" on these lyrics? I burst out in laughter in the gym yesterday smiling at myself! I guess people around me must have thought that I am weird (oh wait ... Is that true?)

However, I have to say I am glad this was NOT my first self-help book when I suffered depression years ago. When I suffered from depression, there was a period of time I just want to get through the grieving process as soon as I can (because I was wasting time to be in the grief ...) to cheat the inquiry process... I knew that doing "The Work" inquiry at that time would mean I won't fully feel the emotions I have (I had tendencies to take shortcuts) and try to apply the turnaround without fully realizing the turnaround statements with my fully body, heart and souls.

The Work is not a substitute or a shortcut through our grieving process but will compliment the healing journey if one is committed to this journey. I love the part when she said, "I look forward to" ... some kind of stressful thinking because it puts me back to do "The Work"!

There's one Side Effect I experienced - Insomnia because my brain was having so much fun doing the Work inquiry. Even insomnia was not a problem when I start investigating the thought. If you experience that, I suggest seated meditation focusing our own breathing and awareness of the inner body. I was up until 3am and slept only till 5am but still wake up fully energized in that sense. However, if one constantly experience insomnia, I would always refer one to the doctor... Just want others to know Insomnia (for very great reasons) can happen as we are trying to crack the stressful thoughts open.

It is a book to experience! May this be something that can unlock the unconditional love and joy that has already been always inside you.

Thank you for reading.

Thank you, Byron Katie!

Practicing Presence: A Guide for the Spiritual Teacher and Health Practitioner
Practicing Presence: A Guide for the Spiritual Teacher and Health Practitioner
by Eckhart Tolle
3 used & new from $44.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Piece of Great Art to Learn from Eckhart Tolle, January 9, 2009
It is so strange to read these mixed reviews.

For me, just when I thought Eckhart Tolle's words could not get any better (after reading A New Earth & The Power of Now), this is one that helped me learn about the couple questions I have in my head about spiritual "teaching". I am not a health practitioner or a therapist. However, I am always inspired to become a guided meditation "teacher" (but nothing to teach really) some day. This helps me out so much!

Others are entitled to have their own opinions and I fully respect it.

For me, this set of CDs worked beautifully well with these pauses in the middle. He gave us the "pointer" and then there is the space (the pause) right there for us to go beyond thoughts. How beautiful is that (I say to myself).

I understand people's frustrations on Eckhart Tolle's teaching and in all these books, tapes, CDs, DVDs. His words either points our soul to go straight to Nirvana (the NOW and that is it ... no more conceptual thinking of enlightenment or the idea of Nirvana) or you try to analyze his words too much (particularly this CD set) and then lost in the thinking forest without a guiding light.

When one of my friends was in turmoil, I gave her "The Power of Now" and told her that was the best thing to help me out, her feedback to me was that Eckhart Tolle's teaching was too abstract and too deep that she couldn't understand it. I was not offended at all.

However, I learned something here! It is just that one needs to beware that Eckhart Tolle's "Way" is NOT the only way and different people are drawn to the different "teachers"/"authors" they need at the time for personal/professional/spiritual growth. That was a big "Aha" moment for me when I listened to this set of CDs.

Also, I do not think everyone is ready for Eckhart Tolle's teaching because it requires two conditions to make his words work for us. Condition #1 is that we suffered enough in our head to realize fully (body, mind, heart & soul) that we want to let go of the egoic mind dominated thinking and suffering is optional. Condition #2 is the willingness of not analyzing Eckhart Tolle's teaching in our head but instead, just feel the words in the bottom of our hearts. Condition #2 is most essential to get any benefit out of Eckhart Tolle's work.

That is why Eckhart Tolle mentioned before that some people are "not ready" for the more gentle, peaceful self yet. Please beware that "Not Ready" is not judging. It is simply a fact that the "mind" is not ready to give up its control yet. No more ...

I don't recommend beginner of Presence to start off with this set of CDs because it most likely will get one more confused. I suggest "Power of Now" or "A New Earth" first if you were going to ask me for suggestions.

That is all I have to say. You can agree, or disagree to my words. They are just words, which words are always fragmented serving as labels. The most important thing is whether you can find inner peace and serenity for yourself and maybe for others if they choose to join you.

Thank you.

Sixty Seconds: One Moment Changes Everything
Sixty Seconds: One Moment Changes Everything
by Phil Bolsta
Price: $14.59
95 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Collection of 45 Unique Gems to Pick up in Our Spiritual Journey, October 3, 2008
Sixty Seconds - One Moment Changes Everything by Phil Bolsta is one of the most amazing books I have read. This book has a collection of inspirational stories 45 individuals ranging from athletes, spiritual authors to doctors and entrepreneurs. This book has opened my horizon about what inspiration truly mean to our journey in this Earth. I find myself reading through the book having moments of joy and sadness. The joyful stories tell us how to live our lives more fully. The sadness and pain certain stories shared gives us an eye opening experience of how the worst thing happened in this life time can be the best teacher. The most profound experience I have while reading I was reading these stories is that I felt I know these individuals more than I know some of my friends.

The book is sections as follows:
* Glimpses into the Unknown - Life & Death Moments
* Glimpses into the Unknown - Mysterious Moments
* Living Life - Heartbreaking Moments
* Living Life - Sacred Moment
* Insightful Incidents - Life-Altering Moments
* Insightful Incidents - Moments of Enlightenment

The beauty of this book is that if one is drawn to a particular story or the kind of work the person was being interviewed on, Phil Bolsta provided information for the readers to find out more about them. We all are on this special journey. It is great to see 45 sign-posts in this book to help us venture.

It is very hard for me to pick which stories I love the most because all of the stories either deepens what I have learned or widens my perspective of life.

If I truly have to pick, I would say James Autry and Sally Pederson's life-altering experience (their child who has autism) is one that stood up the most. Although I have not had children yet, I can deeply felt how this experience has changed this couple's life and their purpose. Sometimes life seems to take a wrong course to make us realize our soul purpose. For this couple, it is about championing for the disabled. For James Autry, it made him realize he wanted to be a better father by being physically and emotionally available to the child. I realize what a profound gift it is when the "seemingly worst thing" that happened in life has changed James Autry's heart to want to do the right thing for this child.

For me as a reader, this story broadened and widened my perspective about disability. How many times do we judge somebody who looks and moves a little different than we are? Then, offers "sympathy" to them and their family because they are different. Then we are scared to be connected to them because we do not understand (nor do we take the time to understand) their needs. We all are human beings that long for compassion and understanding from each other. Yet, many humans decide to use "sympathy" and "avoidance" to treat the so-called "disabled", refusing to see the Abled side of them. My learning lesson from this story is to commit myself to treat the so-called as "disabled" as "Abled", offering curiosity and compassion towards their lives. Nobody likes sympathy but everyone longs for understanding and compassion. That is what I learned out of this story.

To read this book, I suggest reading it from the chronologically because that seems to offer a deeper inspirational experience. I suggest reading it a couple stories at a time, soaking and reflecting on them. I do not suggest skimming over because it is really hard to have a deepening or inspirational experience that way.

Thank you for reading my review.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2011 12:36 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6