Profile for A. D. Anderson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. D. Anderson "Flying Gamer" RSS Feed (Del Rio, TX)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Titanfall - Xbox One
Titanfall - Xbox One
Offered by Happy Ranger (No tax)
Price: $15.75
310 used & new from $10.28

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game that has quickly grown on me., March 11, 2014
This review is from: Titanfall - Xbox One (Video Game)
I've been waiting for this game since Jason West and Vince Zampella left Infinity Ward a few years ago. For those who don't pay attention to movements within the industry, this pair built the Call of Duty franchise (which has waned in their departure). They hopped the fence and signed on with EA, and everything they've named since seems like a jab at Activision and the Call of Duty franchise. "Titanfall." "Respawn." Like most gamers I had high hopes for this game and my take on it so far has been a mixed bag. I will break it down into my initial impressions, since it just came out today.

The graphics are pretty good, but definitely don't scream "next-gen." It's clear this was cross-generation development, and I'm feeling more strongly that we aren't going to get a true 'AAA' title built solely for a next-gen console in 2014. The graphics are fairly detailed, but on-screen clutter causes things to blend together, namely campers and the background they are hiding in front of.

The campaign: there is one, but it is integrated into online play. Honestly, it could have been completely omitted and I wouldn't have noticed. As it is, you have some guy yelling at you to do things that you would be doing anyway in an online shooter... "Capture this objective so I can see the computer." Sure, guy. Whatever you say. I have no idea what is happening with the story and couldn't care less.

Music: In the background during the menus. As I write this I can't remember anything about it, so I guess it does a good job of staying in the background.

Gameplay: Fast and fun. On day one people are already doing some pretty advanced stuff with the controls. The game allows you to wall run, double jump, and wall hop. It seems inspired by "Mirror's Edge" or more directly by parkour. You can also cloak, which means finding people and effectively fighting them is difficult and quickly turns into a scramble. I could see people becoming ninjas in a game like this, becoming virtually unstoppable just by how they move. Once you get into your "Titan," you slow way down. It's almost a detriment to use the darn thing.

Bots: Not sure why they are in a next-gen game. They are distracting when you are trying to fight the actual players on the opposing team. They get in the way, but I guess it's to make up for the 6-player teams, which is also baffling. This game doesn't seem to be pushing the hardware and BF4 runs just fine with 64 players.

EA being cheap: I know, I know, EA hasn't put instruction booklets in their games for a couple of years now. I'm old-school, though, and this game would have benefited from a manual.

Overview: The game reminds me a lot of "Lost Planet" for the 360 and PS3. Not just the mech bit, though, I feel that the gameplay is going to cater to a very niche crowd and will have a tough time catching on with the mainstream. Those who get good at this game will get extremely good, which will turn-off/frustrate newcomers. Those who become really good at it will defend it as the greatest game ever, because Titanfall does give you the pieces necessary to develop skills that other players will struggle to match. As it stands, at this early state, I would recommend it to core gamers that are willing to invest the time to get good at it. If you are a casual gamer looking to just check it out, rent first. You might be disappointed.

*EDIT* Today is day three of Titanfall and I will admit that it has grown on me quite a bit. The pace of the game makes it a lot of fun and I have gotten decent with the controls fairly quickly. The game does a great job of keeping you interested in it, there are a ton of challenges and unlocks to keep you playing. I've also gotten used to fighting in the Titans and have figured out how to use them effectively. I added a star to my original score primarily for the fun factor.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2014 10:44 PM PDT

Battlefield 4 - Xbox One
Battlefield 4 - Xbox One
Offered by WindyHub (No Tax except IL)
Price: Click here to see our price
150 used & new from $14.90

1.0 out of 5 stars Still unplayable online, more f-bombs than a Quentin Tarantino flick., December 19, 2013
As of December 19 this game is still unplayable online for me. The glitches are unbelievable and well-documented, so I've taken another reviewer's advice and gone back to playing Battlefield 3 on the Xbox 360. Until the online issues are resolved this is not worth owning. I'm actually regretting my decision to buy an Xbox One, as I only wanted to play this and Forza 5 (also mediocre). With that, the single player is probably the best for the Battlefield franchise. Note that picking which Battlefield single-player is best is like trying to choose which bout of food poisoning in your life was your favorite. It doesn't matter how it's done, the overall experience just sucks. The set pieces/levels are impressive but the story is incredibly hokey and will get on your nerves. A HUGE note if you're a parent thinking about getting this for kids. One of the in-game characters, "Irish," drops more f-bombs than I've ever heard in a video game. It gets old almost immediately and there is no way to turn it off. This is coming from someone who has been in the military for over 12 years. To summarize, you're better off playing Battlefield 3 for Xbox 360 and YOU SHOULD NOT BUY THIS GAME FOR CHILDREN.

*EDIT* 1/16/14: I can't believe how awful this still plays online. I play with an very good internet connection and the lag is still unbelievable. It sucks so much because the game looks like it could be so much fun, but I've never been more pissed off at a game than I get at this POS. I'm really regretting my decision to buy an XBOX ONE, if you are smart you will wait. The only thing awaiting early adopters is a broken, unplayable mess. FML.

*EDIT* 4/4/14: I tried playing this game again. It is UNBELIEVABLE that this game still plays as poorly as it does, nearly six months after release. I can't remember the last time I was more frustrated with a game. I want to like it so much, but it does everything it can to make you hate it. The game plays like it has some crazy irregular heartbeat. Every couple of seconds... Wub-Wump.....Wub-Wump.... Lag after lag after lag. It is completely disorienting and will result in many frustrating deaths. I run a 30MBps connection with a 27-31 ping and it plays like I'm running it on a 56K modem. SKIP THIS GAME, even if you're a die-hard battlefield fan. It isn't even worth capitalizing any more...

*EDIT* 5/15/14: I just finished the campaign for the second time. It took five attempts since the game continuously deletes my saved game data without any apparent reason. I get to the end, trying to unlock the achievements, and it won't give me credit. The last time I played a game that was this sloppy and buggy was Willy Beamish for the Sega CD. I seriously have to go back 20 years to think of a game that compares to the crapiness of this one. It is beyond comprehension to me that these problems haven't been patched, yet here we are 6 months after release and this game is still total garbage. What a waste of time. I really wish this franchise belonged to any company other than EA.

Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 5
Offered by Candle In the Wind
Price: $36.00
84 used & new from $15.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest review from a long-time racing simulator fan., December 8, 2013
This review is from: Forza Motorsport 5 (Video Game)
Let me start by saying that Forza 4 was the best racing game I have played. Ever. I spent over 200 hours driving to acquire the "Bucket List" achievement, and I enjoyed every minute of it. The music, the tracks, the cars, everything fit perfectly. That game (Forza 4) came out six years into the Xbox 360's life cycle. Two years later the sequel (Forza Horizon doesn't count) is released on a new system and everyone is up in arms about how terrible it is. Shockingly this opinion seems to be felt only by the Amazon community. Most of the reviews I've read seem to be from trolls or casual Forza "fans." Here it is from someone who has spent a lot of time playing racing simulators, with over 1,000 hours invested in the Forza and Gran Turismo series.

Graphics: This is probably the first thing you will notice playing a next-generation system. It is hard to describe how I feel about the graphics in this and Battlefield 4 (the only other game I own). I would say that the textures look similar to previous-generation systems, but the amount of graphics displayed has increased tremendously. I first noticed the crowds in the stands and the track-side detail. It is impressive. There is just a lot more "stuff." In Forza 4, the Sebring raceway seemed very open and spread out. In Forza 5 it feels intimate, close up. I don't know how to describe it other than it feels like you're driving through a real place.

Content: In Forza 4 there were over 500 cars and 26 tracks. Forza 5 has 200 cars and 14 tracks. It is easy to recognize that you're getting about half of the content of Forza 4. The big fear is that Microsoft will try to sell the "missing half" as DLC. This remains to be seen, but I will pass on the DLC and wait for the sequel if it comes to that. As it stands, it is better than what I expected for a launch title. Everything has a very high level of polish and fits well. The game seems designed to attract new players, as a lot of the menus and layouts have been simplified. I honestly wish they would have borrowed more from Forza 4 in this case, but I can understand why they chose a different path.

Driveatars: This is probably the coolest addition to the game. I love that as I write this, my driveatar is out there earning me credits and racing against other players. It is really neat to watch the other cars race, as it shows you how other people handle the courses differently. I've actually copied some of the driveatar techniques I've seen to see if it makes me faster.

Global standings: This is a minor point, but when you finish a race your fastest lap time is ranked world-wide. It has definitely motivated me to re-race a couple of tracks just to get my time down.

Physics: The cars seem to have more "heft" than in previous Forza games. It feels more realistic. One of the complaints I had about Forza 4 was the glued-to-the-track feel of the cars with TCS on. It feels much better with this one, you're no longer invincible with TCS on, the tires will break if you over-do it.

In-game currency and micro-transactions: This is where everyone is bashing Forza 5. I honestly didn't notice the micro-transaction stuff until I read some of the reviews on here. It isn't as "in-your-face" as everyone is making it seem. The primary complaint revolves around the super-expensive cars, like the 6,000,000 credit Ferrari GTO. If you want to pay for it in "tokens" it translates to $63.00 in real money (or somewhere in that range). So let's be honest about this. You can grind, as I did in Forza 4, to EARN this car or you can be an idiot and pay real money for it. It is your choice. I acquired the GTO at around the 180 hour mark in Forza 4, and trust me, it isn't anything special. The only reason I bought it was because I had around 40,000,000 in game credits so I just bought all of the most expensive cars (achievement unlocked!). Forza 5 is a little more conservative with doling out credits. The main reason for this is that the credit multiplier has been reconfigured significantly. I would earn 115% in credits in Forza 4 because of the way I set the difficulty. With similar settings I now earn an additional 45%. That said, I was driving my two favorite cars (Eagle Talon TSI and Dodge Viper ACR) within an hour of playing the game. I'm sitting on around 500,000 in in-game credits with about 10 hours of gameplay. And I've bought and modified several cars. Bottom line, if you actually play the game, you will get the super-expensive cars. There aren't as many cars in Forza 5, so you don't need as many credits as you did in Forza 4. If you whine and complain that you can't drive the GTO on your first race you're not a gamer. Go play "Angry Birds" on your iPhone. If you are stupid enough to waste $63.00 on an in-game car, well, you know what they say about a fool and his money.

Music: My final point and biggest complaint about this game. Forza 4 had one of the best original soundtracks for a video game in my opinion. It was done just right. They tried with Forza 5. You can definitely tell that they tried. Unfortunately it falls flat on it's face and comes across as one of the most pretentious and douchey soundtracks that I have ever heard. It sounds like a bizarre combination of the soundtracks from the Lion King and Titanic, mixed in with big-band music from the 1950's. It is very strange and has no place in a video game about cars. When I listen to it I try to imagine the person who developed it. I guarantee that whoever it is drives a Toyota Prius and can't tell you the difference between an air filter and a cabin air filter. And they don't know how to drive a car with a manual transmission.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2014 4:25 PM PST

Sid Meier's Civilization V - Mac
Sid Meier's Civilization V - Mac
5 used & new from $25.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Turned my Macbook Pro into a PC, June 26, 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I read the reviews prior to purchase and still decided to give it a go despite some apprehension. What everyone is complaining about is not far off at all and really does ruin the overall experience. It took over 4 hours to get the game installed (one year old Macbook Pro) since STEAM, the flaming pile of !#@$ that it is, required five updates. This was an active process, not me leaving the computer somewhere for four hours to let it update. I had to sit there watching it because the updates would drop out as they were downloading and STEAM would say I wasn't connected to the internet. I finally got everything updated (STEAM, mind you, not the game), updated the GAME for another 20 minutes, and started playing. The game is Civilization-esque. I guess they decided to make a bunch of changes so it wasn't just Civ 4.2. The complaints about unit movement are spot on. Frustrating pain in the @$$. Defenseless units (catapult, cannon) will be easily overrun since there is no way to stack units and defend on all fronts. City management seems to be lacking in some critical areas (why can't I sacrifice production to make citizens happy? And why are they still unhappy when I've built EVERY building that should make them happy!?), but overall, the game still retains the Civilization feel. So there's three stars for fun (it would have been four stars if the game wasn't so painfully slow). Why one star, overall? STEAM has effectively turned my Macbook into a brick that I want to throw out the window. I switched to Mac a few years ago to get away from the general pain in the ass that is Windows OS. Things crashing. Programs not responding. I wanted a laptop that I could boot up and be surfing the web within a minute. So I buy Civ V, download STEAM like a good little idiot, and wa-la. I now am the proud owner of a crappy PC. Boot up takes forever. When my home screen pops up, guess what is automatically *trying* to run? Good ol' STEAM. So I force quit STEAM (cuz regular quit won't work, of course), and click on Safari. 4-5 minutes later and I've made it to my facebook profile page. I quit Safari and guess what's running again? STEAM!!! Seriously. This DRM BS has ruined one of my favorite franchises.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Xbox 360
XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Xbox 360
Offered by NYC Electronics
Price: $10.49
129 used & new from $2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars So frikkin' addicting!!!, October 17, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I never played the original XCOM, but picked it up since I'm a fan of Firaxis. I am so glad I did. This is one of the most addictive games I've played in quite a while. It's right up there with Minecraft/Sid Meier's Pirates/CivRev... I'm only taking the time to write this quickly before going to sleep since it's 2:00 a.m. now (can't remember the last time I was up this late). I highly recommend it to anyone who is on the fence like I was. It was between this and Dishonored and I'm pretty confident I made the right choice (I'll pick up Dishonored after the holiday craziness passes). For those who are wondering, there is a slight learning curve involved but I'm surprised at how quickly I was able to pick up on everything. Finally, do like GI recommends and name all of your soldiers after friends and/or celebrities (females named after sci-fi actresses is fun). It really adds another layer of enjoyment to the game.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2012 11:23 AM PDT

GoldenEye 007: Reloaded
GoldenEye 007: Reloaded
Offered by drum_video_games
Price: $35.30
42 used & new from $11.49

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY this shameless cash-in!!!, December 4, 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I'm an old school gamer who has dreamt of a truly updated N64 Goldeneye 007 for years. I think the key point in understanding why this will never be is licensing issues. The Bond license was briefly awarded to Rare when Goldeneye originally came out. With that game's tremendous success, EA took over (or out-bid) Rare for the license. They then proceeded to milk the franchise, releasing several crappy to mediocre games in the years following Goldeneye. EA got rid of the license once the tit was dry, and in stepped equally abysmal "video-games-equal-cash" mega-corporation Activision. Board meetings took place and executives who have never gamed in their lives came up with a new way of taking your hard earned greenbacks. By "re-releasing" a new, "super-awesome" game with Goldeneye pasted on the cover, Activision had found a way of re-invigorating the dead franchise. By playing on our fond memories of former greatness, they tried to find a way back into our wallets. The only problem is that they don't care one bit about producing a quality product or doing the original justice. It's only about making money. By buying into the hype, by biting off on what you hope this is going to be, you are playing the fool. The only thing (and the best thing) you can do is NOT buy these crappy Bond games in hopes that Activision will sell off the license. Maybe it's devalued so much by now that Rare could pick it up again. And then we would be in gaming heaven.

In the Shadow of the Moon [Blu-ray]
In the Shadow of the Moon [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Buzz Aldrin
Offered by too many secrets
Price: $146.69
6 used & new from $92.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best documentaries I've ever seen., November 20, 2011
Nearly 50 years later, it's easy to forget or downplay the significance of early space flight. If you were there or not (I was not), this film does just an incredible job of captivating its watcher with the marvel of such a feat. Beyond the summit of Everest, beyond the construction of the pyramids, this film represents the epitome of humankind. In a time when nothing seems certain, when our country seems to have fallen from grace, this film serves as an excellent reminder of what made the United States what it is today. I watched it today and I was proud to be an American. The film has an excellent format that summarizes the Apollo space flights into a 1:40 minute movie. Not every detail was hit upon, but overall it does a great job. I was most impressed by the humanizing of the experience through the astronauts. Hearing heartfelt, first-hand accounts of what it was like to be there, the thoughts and emotions, is both mesmerizing and confounding. I couldn't imagine what such an event would be like, how it would change you. As a professional pilot and an amateur astronomer, I was so glad to hear my thoughts reaffirmed towards the end of the film. We live in the Garden of Eden. I don't care if you buy into that mentality or not, it's just how I feel after studying the universe for several years. In my opinion, this is a mandatory watch. Young or old, it will make you appreciate just what our country did and what we are capable of as human beings.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Price: $14.99
300 used & new from $7.90

5.0 out of 5 stars It has a much better flow than Oblivion, November 17, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I picked up Oblivion back in 2007 not knowing quite what to expect. It was my first Elder Scrolls game, and although I had heard that the series was very time-intensive, I was quickly overwhelmed at the sheer number of possibilities. As a completionist, I quickly got nowhere and gave up on the game after only around a dozen hours of gameplay. For those who are in the same boat and are considering Skyrim, I would recommend giving the series another chance. I've approached the game differently this time around, trying my best to negate the effects of my ADD. With a more focused approach I've been able get into and appreciate this game. The sheer scale of everything is, once again, daunting. However, with objectives fairly clearly laid out, I've had a much easier time navigating the landscape. There are numerous memorable experiences. Namely dragon attacks, which are awesome when you're in a group, then terrifying when you're alone. Everything is customizable. Everything is explorable. That mountain you've walked by 20 times? There's a cave entrance above you on some path that you never saw. The dungeon crawling is varied enough so that I haven't gotten bored yet. I've stumbled into enormous compounds on side-quests (picking up necessary story-related items unintentionally... BTW, if it looks important, it is!!!), and happily discovered shorter jaunts on what I expected to be grueling, multi-hour long quests. The game so far has provided many surprises, all of them good. It isn't quite as polished as, say, Red Dead Redemption (which I am constantly reminded of for some reason), but the scale and scope of the game make some buginess acceptable. If you're into RPGs even somewhat, I would recommend giving this incredible game a try.

X-Men: First Class
X-Men: First Class
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A close second to X2 for best X-men movie ever!, November 17, 2011
After waiting the better part of a decade for a decent X-men movie, I'm very glad to see this series return to grace. Providing several memorable action sequences and characters that I (surprisingly) actually like, X-men First Class is my top contender for best movie of 2011. I really enjoyed how the movie fleshes out the characters that we're used to seeing at older ages. The plot also incorporates very well to the time in which it takes place. I would highly recommend this one to any action/X-men fan. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Xbox 360
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Xbox 360
Offered by Insane Web Deals...Simply the Best Deals on the Web!
Price: $19.75
656 used & new from $3.35

2.0 out of 5 stars Even the fanboys can't decry this turd..., November 10, 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
You've probably read it by now. This game feels more like an expansion pack than a true sequel. I wouldn't be upset about it if it was a half-way decent "expansion pack," but I can't remember the last time I played a more generic shooter. The levels are non-descript, packed with debris and garbage that is always in your way. The maps are too big for Modern Warfare, so expect to run for a couple of minutes before you see an enemy. And then you'll probably just get shot in the back by that enemy. I picked this up on release day, excited for what might be. IMHO, it's a huge step backwards. Black Ops was so much better designed, balanced, and FUN. This game is none of those.

*EDIT 12/7/11*
After putting over 20 hours into this game I think I've nailed this one on the head. This game is the Wal-Mart of first-person shooters. It's so corporate, so drab, so cheap, so dull. It has zero personality. I'm never excited when I play a game. I'm never excited when I win a game. I know what to expect around every corner. The same old thing. I really miss Black Ops.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2011 10:35 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3