Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for PeteTechGuy > Reviews

Browse

PeteTechGuy's Profile

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

PeteTechGuy RSS Feed (Woodside, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
TFY Security Hand-Strap for Tablet PC - iPad (New iPad / iPad Mini & Mini 2 & Mini 3 / iPad Air / iPad Air 2 / iPad Pro 9.7") - Samsung Tablet Pcs - Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 and More
Offered by MyTradeWorld
Price: $11.20
3 used & new from $7.73

LapWorks iPad Air 2 Case with Soft Neoprene Handle with Stand - adjustable Velcro and 360 degree swiveling
Offered by LapWorks Inc
Price: $49.95
5 used & new from $29.75

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful combination of features, November 12, 2015
tremendously convenient .

Things I really like:
- The Kickstand works perfectly and is totally stable
- The Elastic band is very strong and just the right tension for me.
- The 360 degree angle adjustment is tremendously helpful in finding just the right position for holding the iPad with one hand.
- The fact the the strap/handle LOCKS, somewhat, into your chosen 360 rotational angle, when you pull out the kickstand, adds greatly to the utility
- The combination of these features seems to be unique and extremely complementary (not to be confused with complimentary)

Things I'd like to change
- I'd like to see an adjustable kick stand LENGTH making the angle of the iPad, when using the stand, more adjustable, and capable of achieving a position closer to vertical in portrait mode.
- I'd like to see this case be much lighter, but I wouldn't sacrifice any of its features to get there.

iPad Air 2 Case, Balaji TPU Case with Hand Strap and Kickstand Compatible with Apple® iPad Air 2, White HST
Offered by ZizoValue®
Price: $9.37
2 used & new from $9.37

3.0 out of 5 stars It works well and is useful, but for my taste adds much more weight ..., November 12, 2015
It works well and is useful, but for my taste adds much more weight and bulk than I would want

Anker 40W 4-Port USB Wall Charger PowerPort 4, Multi-Port USB Charger with Foldable Plug for iPhone SE / 6s / 6 / 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 / Pro, Samsung Galaxy S7 / S6, Note 5, LG G5 and More
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect wall charger, November 12, 2015
It's the first charger I've had that has consistently and perfectly charged all of my items, iPhone 6 plus, iPad Air 2, apple watch and a mophie case, all at the same time, using extra long cables. I'm truly impressed.

The extra portability with the fold up AC prongs is a very nice bonus.

Apple Watch Stand, Spigen [Charging Dock] Apple Watch Stand [S350] Premium TPU Compatible with Apple Watch Nightstand Mode [watchOS 2] for Apple Watch (2015) - S350 (SGP11584)
Offered by Spigen Inc
Price: $18.99
2 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The black S350. It works perfectly, a great conveneience, August 9, 2015
The S350 is a very simple dock that works exactly as I would want it to.

- It truly is one touch. I lay my watch on it with one hand and it naturally goes to the correct position. It really couldn't be easier to use.

- The hi tech pad on the bottom never slips on my polished wood night table, which is very good. I have not yet tried removing it and placing it elsewhere, and I'm not about to. :)

- The angle is perfect for me to look at the watch on my night table when I'm lying in bed. I'm still using watchOS-1 so the watch-face orientation is the same as it is when it's on my wrist. Which means: Unlike the photo, when the watch is on the dock and you're using watchOS1, the bottom of the watch face is pointing sideways not up/down. It's actually pointing towards my feet. When I'm lying in bed my head is also sideways, so the orientation is perfect, from my POV :)

- It really seems as though the material poses zero risk of scratching the watch

- Look wise, its fine. It's not something that adds any special bling, but it's extremely convenient, I'm very glad to have it, and you really can't argue with the price.

I definitely appreciate the new convenience of never having to touch the cable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2015 11:14 AM PDT

Amazon Fire TV Stick
Amazon Fire TV Stick
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars FireTV's support for Captive Portal is a very big deal when you need it, June 3, 2015
This review is from: Amazon Fire TV Stick (Electronics)
I own a Roku3, an AppleTV, and a FireTV Stick. Each has their advantages.

FireTV Stick:
IMO the best feature on this product is its support for captive portal login and authentication.

A Captive Portal is a WiFi login page that usually requires a web browser and something like your room number and your last name at the time you connect to that WiFi (at your hotel room, for example). When you connect to wifi, FireTV automatically provides a browser that you can navigate with the arrows on your remote. And you can enter the required info using an on screen keyboard. This is really something different from simply connecting to your home wifi using username and password. I used this FireTV feature at a hotel the first weekend I owned the device and it worked perfectly.

Neither Roku nor the Apple TV will do this (except with some fancy router trickery, such as MAC address spoofing). If you're planning to use your streaming device in hotels, the FireTV Stick or FireTV are pretty much your only choices. The captive portal is so valuable and unique that I felt compelled to give FireTV five stars despite some other negatives. (Note however, that despite this great feature, some hotels just do not have sufficient wifi bandwidth to support video streaming. This can be tested by streaming video via wifi using your notebook or tablet.) Another unique FireTV plus is the completely automated connection to your amazon account during setup, assuming you purchased FireTV by use of your account on the Amazon web site. Amazon has registered the device ID with your amazon username at the time of purchase or shipping, so you don't need to type your username or amazon password during FireTV setup. Impressively quick setup.

If you're planning on always leaving your media streamer set up and at home, I'd probably recommend either the Roku or (for apple users) The Apple TV . My complaints on the fireTV are a channel selection much more limited than Roku's, an interface that clearly favors a single content supplier (Amazon), requiring more clicks when accessing other channels such as Netflix, and a lack of Roku's universal search.

Roku3:
Roku has, by far, the best channel selection, a better interface than FireTV, IMO, and an excellent UNIVERSAL search, now controllable by voice. Roku's interface is, in my experience, the most enjoyable to use.

AppleTV:
Airplay streaming from ANY apple device is, of course, a big win for iphone, ipad, and Mac owners, like myself. In my experience Apple's airplay works very well and is very easy to use for any content from any apple device, even for guests in my home. I personally prefer Apple's interface over FIreTV's, but it's close. Another plus for AppleTV is that it's the only device which will buffer an entire movie or TV show, even with rentals. AppleTV DOES NOT DELAY the start of a movie in order to fill the buffer (it fills as you're watching), but once your buffer is full (which is very fast, and nicely shown), you can be sure you will not be interrupted by subsequent internet traffic. Full buffering only happens with iTunes video, but unfortunately not with third party apps like netflix. On the downside, like FireTV, Apple's channel selection is more limited than Roku's.

SONOS PLAYBAR TV Sound Bar/Wireless Streaming Music Speaker
SONOS PLAYBAR TV Sound Bar/Wireless Streaming Music Speaker
Price: $699.00
36 used & new from $561.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it: Here's a Dolby Digital Solution for ANY TV, May 28, 2013
I'm a long time fan of sonos, and this Playbar is a great addition. The sound is truly excellent and the full integration with my sonos system makes this soundbar unbeatable for me. I use it along with the Sonos Sub (which I didn't need, but which makes for a mind blowing combo with the playbar.)

Among the features I most appreciate are the following:

- Sonos' ability to automatically revert to TV audio whenever the TV is turned on.
- Enhanced Speech mode making TV dialog especially clear.
- Late Night mode for softening louder sound bursts.
- The ability to use my IR remote to control the volume, AND the great full featured sonos controller apps for iphone, ipad, osx, windows, android etc. (IMO the best remote control interface ever for internet radio and total music streaming)

- Access to all my iTunes tracks, playlists, albums, artists, automatically updated every night.
- Streaming of 100,000 radio stations, so easy to to find and use with the sonos controller apps
- Pandora, Rhapsody, Spotify, and just about any other music service you could want. (I'm using Pandora and Rhapsody)
- Streaming of custom web sites by use of any streaming URL. (I use these for my JazzRadio.com stations.)

IMO, these features make the Playbar a great choice for people new to Sonos, and an obvious one for those who already have sonos.

A SOLUTION for DOLBY DIGITAL WITH PLAYBAR and ANY TV

Some folks have had issues in getting Dolby Digital from their TV optical out. Some older TV's have no optical out or no sound from their optical out when using HDMI, and some other TVs send only stereo to the optical out. See this sonos link for a list of TVs and their level of compatibility with the Playbar:

sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1931/~/television-compatibility-with-the-playbar

A very simple, fairly inexpensive solution to all of these audio problems, and one which has been working extremely well for me, is an HDMI Audio extractor, sometimes called a de-embedder, combined (if you have more than one source) with a simple hdmi switch. (An audio extractor is around $40. Monoprice has a 4x1 hdmi switch for $24 OR an 8x1 switch for $79, and Amazon has some good hdmi switches as well)

This solution is ideal for folks like myself, who are already using an HDMI switch, or for those using only a single source (in either of these cases you'd only need to buy the $40 audio extractor). But even if you'd have to buy an HDMI switch, this approach has some advantages over plugging all of your hdmi cables into the TV or using an integrated hdmi/optical switch:

- You need to run only 1 cable (just an hdmi cable) from your equipment location to the TV location. (eg. you can keep the hdmi switch near all of your sources, route its output hdmi cable, under the floor and behind walls, to the tv, and insert the audio extractor right by the TV and playbar. Giving you a very short convenient run for the optical audio cable.)
- Using a standalone HDMI switch, rather than TV switching, makes it much easier to add more sources in the future, eliminating difficult routing for the additional cables.
- An integrated hdmi/toslink switch will not work for sources with no digital out, such as a Roku3. This approach will.

The audio extractor I'm using is this one:

J-Tech Digital Premium Quality HDMI to HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + 3.5mm Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter .

B00BIQER0E

You just plug your switcher's (or single source) HDMI output cable into this device's HDMI input instead of the TV. Connect a second HDMI cable from the HDMI output of this device to your TV's HDMI input. Connect the optical output of this device to the Playbar. Press the button to choose Digital Out and you're done.

I'm automatically getting dolby digital whenever my source has dolby digital, and stereo whenever my source has stereo. My picture quality and audio are excellent, and video audio sync is perfect. No problems of any kind. It's working well with my Roku 3, Apple TV, 2 Tivos, and a Sony BluRay DVD Player.

(Note however that, as with every other device I've seen, this unit does not convert dolby digital plus or DTS to either vanilla DD or to stereo for the digital out. If you're getting DD+ or DTS you'd have to switch that off at the source. An example of this is Netflix whose surround sound is DD+ on Roku. Because of that, I have Roku set up to give me stereo from Netflix and DD 5.1 from Amazon. Sonos is said to be working on Playbar DTS support.)

I'd seen a couple of suggestions for similar extractors but I had been unable to find reports from anyone who's USED one with the Playbar. So, if that has been holding you back, I hope this helps.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2013 5:38 PM PDT

J-Tech Digital ® Premium Quality 1080P HDMI To HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter (Support Apple TV 4 Gen)
Offered by J-Tech Digital, Inc
Price: $29.99
5 used & new from $27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Beautifully with the Sonos Playbar, May 26, 2013
I'm using this device to get TV Audio to my SONOS PLAYBAR, and my review focuses on this application.

Many folks have written about problems in getting Dolby Digital or ANY sound from their TV when connecting the TV's optical out to the PLAYBAR. Some TV's have no optical out, some have no sound from their optical out when using an HDMI source, and some others send only stereo to the optical out. See this link for a list of TVs and their level of Playbar compatibility:

A very simple, fairly inexpensive solution to such problems when setting up a Playbar, and one which has been working extremely well for me, is this J-Tech HDMI Audio extractor combined with a vanilla hdmi switch. (monoprice has a 4x1 hdmi switch for $24 OR an 8x1 switch for $79, and amazon has some good alternatives as well),

Note that this solution will work even for TVs which are said to be incompatible at the Sonos link above, including those for which Sonos says there's no workaround. My TV is one of those. It's a pioneer elite, and I've yet to find one I'd want to replace it with. But my Sonos, Elite and JTech are working perfectly together, since an HDMI audio extractor (such as this JTech) completely eliminates the need for the TV's digital audio output port.

This solution is ideal for folks, like myself, who are already using an HDMI switch or an hdmi switching AV Receiver (in these cases you'd only need to buy this J-Tech extractor), but even if you have to buy an HMDI switch, this approach has some advantages over an integrated hdmi/optical switch: It works for sources that have no digital audio output ports (ie, for sources that send audio only thru their hdmi ports, such as the Roku3); It's easier to find a switch handling ANY number of sources or matrix switching; It's less expensive; And you need to run only 1 cable (just an hdmi cable) from your equipment location to the TV location. Also note that, using a standalone switch, rather than TV switching, makes it much easier to add more sources at any time in the future, especially when you have cables behind walls or under the floor, or when you want to add more sources than the TV can handle.

Here's how you set it up:
- Plug your switcher's HDMI-out cable into the JTech's HDMI-in port (instead of the TV).
- Connect a second HDMI cable from the JTech's HDMI-out to your TV's HMDI-in.
- Connect the JTech's optical out to the Playbar.
- Choose Digital Out on the JTech and you're done.

(You'd locate the JTech near the TV and Playbar, avoiding the need to run the optical cable from the switch, or equipment location, to the tv location)

I'm getting dolby digital whenever my source has dolby digital, and stereo whenever my source has stereo. My picture quality and audio are excellent, and video audio sync is perfect. No problems of any kind.

(Note however that, as with every other device I've seen, this unit does not convert dolby digital plus to either vanilla DD or to stereo for the digital out. If you're getting DD+ you'd have to switch that off at the source. An example of this is Netflix whose surround sound is DD+ on Roku. Because of that, I have Roku set up to give me stereo from Netflix and DD 5.1 from Amazon. )

Hope this helps
Comment Comments (19) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2015 11:21 AM PDT

ZOX Breath Fresheners
ZOX Breath Fresheners

4.0 out of 5 stars They work, June 7, 2012
This review is from: ZOX Breath Fresheners
This one of very things I've found that work reliably. I've been told that it works for me, and I've seen it work on others instantly. The taste is very mild IMO. Its a life saver. No pun intended.

On the downside, It's not nearly as long lasting for me as the 12 hour SmartMouth mouthwash, but I continue to carry these and use them on occasion.

New Trent AirGrip Case, IMP1100, 11000mAh with iPad Leather Case compatible with "The New iPad", iPad 2, iPhone 4S 4, iPhone 3G 3GS, iPod Touch (1G 2G 3G 4G 5G), Motorola Droid , HTC Android Phones, Blackberry (curve, bold, tour, storm), Nintendo, Gameboy, and more

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent solution, September 3, 2011
I'm extremely happy with this AirGrip battery case

BATTERY PERFORMANCE

I've been getting about 22 hrs of continuous WIFI web usage from the combination of the AirGrip and the iPad's internal battery. It works best to keep the AirGrip turned off until the iPad's low, at which point, it will charge the ipad while in use. Where have we ever seen a computer and case, at under 3 lbs (I've weighed it), with 22 hrs of serious wifi usage!

CASE DESIGN

This design totally works for me. It's very comfortable on my lap, on a table or in bed. I can get every angle I need, (regardless of whether I'm sitting, reclining, or standing), including one where the case is folded fully behind, and the iPad functions purely as a hand held tablet.

Note that the battery itself is a flat pad, about an inch shorter than the iPad in each dimension. It has it's own pocket inside the case, and can be simply popped out when you don't need it. (The battery can be charged while in or out of the case). The AirGrip works just as well with the battery out (the battery pocket flattens out), giving you an attractive, highly functional, yet lighter case: similar to the Mophie Workpad, but made out of real leather.

The AirGrip holds my iPad 2 perfectly. They must have changed the design somewhat, given that (1) it's now a properly snug fit and (2) there are leather+elastic bands holding the two interior iPad corners and a leather flap holding the exterior iPad edge, with no way for the for the iPad to slip out.

A FEW NIT PICKS

They do not include an iPad cable, and the length and white color of the cable that comes with the iPad is less than ideal here. I purchased an 8" black iPad cable from another supplier. It would be nice if such a cable shipped with the case. (but, of course, at $69 this product is a steal without the cable). What I'd really love, is to find a black 8" iPad USB cable with right angle connectors at each end. Also, I'd prefer it if the included battery charging cable were longer and used standard connectors at both ends.

IDEALPOINT

I purchased this on Amazon through IdealPoint, and have had occasion to call them. They've been excellent to deal with.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3