Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Profile for Peter V. Giansante > Reviews

Browse

Peter V. Giansante's Profile

Customer Reviews: 29

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Peter V. Giansante RSS Feed (Far Point Station)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Postitive Force: Overcoming Your Resistance to Success (Signet)
The Postitive Force: Overcoming Your Resistance to Success (Signet)
by Gary Emery
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
24 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Something valuable for everyone, April 20, 2016
I first read this book many years ago when I was struggling with some personal problems. It turned my life around. Now, years later, I'm reading it again as a refresher. It's like it's an entirely different book. All those years of experience have given me an entirely different perspective, and I'm finding even more value in the book than I did the first time.
No one can remember all the wisdom one has ever learned at once. Even if some of the truths in this book seem obvious now, they're easy to forget when you get caught up in the day to day hustle and bustle of life. It's great to have a source that reminds you of what you already knew, but don't always recall when you're in the thick of things. As I re-read this book, I find myself saying, "Oh yeah...that's right. How did I forget that?"
I don't think you have to be messed up to get great value from this book. The truths it contains are so fundamental that (as another reviewer correctly observed), there's something in here for everyone.

Ultrak Count-Up/Down Timer
Ultrak Count-Up/Down Timer
Price: $17.90
6 used & new from $17.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value in a sturdy timer, March 5, 2015
I've lost track of how many timers I went through before I found this one. It's the first one that hasn't broken after a couple of months of use. I've been using it for three years and it still works great.

One thing I absolutely need in a timer is a keypad that lets me enter exactly the time I want. Those timers that require you to push a button multiple times to step-enter the time you want are a nuisance. The keypad on this timer works great.

The clip on the back has a latch that locks it in place so the timer stands up at an angle on the desktop or countertop. The latch folds up if you want to clip the timer onto a pocket or belt. The clip also has a magnet that holds the timer on a magnetic surface. Finally, the top of the clip contains a hinged gizmo that swings up for hanging the timer on a hook or nail, and folds down into the clip when not in use.

Unlike other timers I've owned, this one is sturdy enough to survive a fall from my desktop. I dropped the timer once, and ever since then the lid covering the compartment for the AAA cell tends to fall off, but that was easy to fix with a piece of Scotch tape.

I have no trouble hearing the alarm if I'm in the same room, but it's difficult for me to hear when I'm in another room. However, that's due to my loss of high frequency sensitivity with age. My kids can hear it just fine from several rooms away. In any case, it's not a problem for me, because I usually have it right in front of me when I'm using it.

All in all, the Ultrak has proven to be the most durable and useful timer I've found, and it has all the features I want. I've bought some timers that cost less, and some that cost more, but for my money, this is the best one I've ever owned.

Deluxe Hammock Chair - Royal Blue
Deluxe Hammock Chair - Royal Blue
Offered by South Mission
Price: $29.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, August 12, 2014
This review is from: Deluxe Hammock Chair - Royal Blue
I bought this one for myself and another one for my daughter. Hers was for everyday use at her desk indoors, and mine was for occasional use outdoors on the covered patio. I took the chair down when I wasn't using it. I used it maybe 4 times. The first thing I noticed was that it lacked the adjustability of my original SkyChair, which I have been using daily for three years without a problem.The arm rests are sewn in place, so you can't adjust them. The materials (especially the ropes) are thinner and flimsier...definitely not as heavy-duty as the SkyChair

My daughter's chair broke (one of the ropes snapped) after several months of daily use, so I let her use mine. Within a few months, the ropes broke (again!). At that rate, three of these wouldn't even last as long as my one real SkyChair has lasted. This is 1/3 the price, but much less than 1/3 the quality of the original.

This is NOT a high-quality chair, especially when compared to the original SkyChair. Two of them broke within less than a year. If you want a chair that's going to last and not break and send you crashing down, don't waste your money on this thing.

And Another Thing... (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
And Another Thing... (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
by Eoin Colfer
140 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A very funny and engaging book, August 5, 2013
First let me say that I'm a huge Douglas Adams fan. But I did not read this book with any expectations that it would be even close to Adams' comedic genius. In short, I was very skeptical that it would be anywhere near as enjoyable as Mr. Adams' other marvelous books. To my great surprise and delight, I found "And Another Thing..." to be great fun. Once I got into it, I devoured it.

If you are a Hitchhiker's Guide purist and are expecting this to be a clone of the "trilogy", you probably need a reality check. I'm sorry Douglas Adams is gone, but he was a realist. I won't dishonor his spirit by griping that someone else isn't him. The question isn't whether Eoin Colfer is Douglas Adams; rather, the question is whether he can write a story that fits in the Hitchhiker's Guide universe --- one that has the same kind of zany cleverness, unpredictable surprises, and imaginative mirth...with a hefty helping of guffaws for good measure. For me, the answer is a resounding "Yes!"

Whether you like this book probably has a lot to do with what you expect. I didn't read it expecting deep insights into the human condition, or cosmic revelations, and I certainly didn't expect it to be Douglas Adams reincarnated. I read it hoping simply to be entertained, and it delivered. If you're open-minded enough to take this book on its own merits, you'll be rewarded with a very funny and engaging book.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works!, March 29, 2013
The stick lubed a brand new blade I used for cutting some aluminum angle. I'd expect a new blade to work well anyway, but with a quick application of the lube stick, the blade just zipped through the work, quickly and smoothly. Can't ask for more than that.

Cielo Norte
Cielo Norte

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten stars out of five, January 16, 2013
This review is from: Cielo Norte (MP3 Music)
Anyone who is familiar with Little Feat knows Bill Payne's superb work. The band has been a showcase for many fine musicians' work throughout the years, but through it all, the Little Feat songs that have impressed me as being the most melodic, the most musically interesting, and the most musically creative have been those written by Bill Payne.

Musical greatness is a tough thing to achieve, but in my experience (at least where bands are concerned), it almost always results from the combination of diverse styles and influences. The blues, rock, country, and even folk roots contributed by the other Little Feat members over the years are obvious. What Bill has consistently contributed is a unique, classical/jazz-oriented, compellingly rhythmic sense of melody that lifted Little Feat out of the realm of the merely good and into the great category.

On Cielo Norte, you experience those sublime elements of rhythm and melody, uncut by other influences. It's a tour de force of Bill's brilliantly accomplished keyboard skills, served up with his eminently tasteful touch of dynamics...you know--music that actually spans the range of dynamic levels from pianissimo to fortissimo. And did I mention melody? With Bill, it's always about the melody. In other words, it's real music. The rhythms in the upbeat tracks are moving; I always end up tapping my toes or drumming on the desk. The mellower tunes invoke major chillage, conveying a serenity that provides a welcome balm in the humdrum and humble of the daily grind. But when Bill gets down and rocks...well, you know. This is Little Feat's keyboardist, after all.

The album is "clean"; the audio quality is superb throughout, with transparent mixes, uncluttered by huge washes of distortion that obliterate the musical subtleties, with which the compositions are abundantly endowed. In plainer English, this is an album that sounds not just good, but great. Superb musicianship, great tunes, perfect mixes...it's all there. If you want something of transcendent quality, Cielo Norte is it.

Timberline 10181 Ti-Cut and trade Aluminum and Non-Ferrous TC Grind Thin Kerf Carbide Tipped Saw Blade
Price: $25.95
2 used & new from $24.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cuts at a great price, January 16, 2013
I needed to cut some aluminum angle for some custom parts I was designing and building. I needed clean, smooth cuts, and this Timberline blade did the job when I mounted it on my table saw. I used an Olson blade lubricant (wax) stick, also bought through Amazon. No galling, lumping, or sticking, and the blade comes out clean after every cut.

I don't know how well this blade would hold up under heavy use in a production environment, but for my purposes (occasional use in my home shop), it has performed perfectly.

Badge
Badge
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the real deal!, January 16, 2013
This review is from: Badge (MP3 Music)
I was immediately captivated by Badge when the song made its debut on Cream's Goodbye album in 1969--so much so that I played guitar and sang the song in my college rock band all those years ago. Hearing it again brings back a flood of memories. It's listed as the "Album Version". Apparently, there was a single version, but I'm not familiar with it; I've only ever heard the album version, and this is exactly that. It's one of my all-time favorite Cream songs, and if it's one of yours, grab a copy for yourself.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a 1994 Mazda B3000 pickup, January 16, 2013
It's always a bit of a gamble buying parts sight unseen, but this filler is a winner for my 1994 Mazda B3000 pickup with the extended cab and 6-foot pickup bed. The part includes the filler port mounting flange (the part where you insert the fuel nozzle when you refuel), and the three holes lined up just right with the existing holes in the body. The large diameter outside tube (which is part of the vapor recovery system) surrounds the smaller diameter inside tube, which is actually the filler that conveys the fuel into the tank. The unit comes complete with top and bottom hose clamps. The bottom clamp is attached to the filler so it can't fall off.

This was a replacement for the original filler, which had cracked and split in the outer tube at the point where it connects to the steel sleeve that slides into the top of the gas tank. That sleeve is a cylinder with a top flange -- like an inverted top hat, except that the top of the hat is missing. In the original sleeve design, the flange has a straight, flat edge, and it takes a huge effort to work the outside tube onto the sleeve with that sharp edge on the flange. Even if you manage to wrestle it on there, it's such a tight fit that you're really stretching the tube, and the sharp edge on the flange makes it likely that the outside tube will eventually stress out and split where it contacts the flange.

That's exactly what happened on my original filler. It's a lousy flange design on Mazda's part. First, it doesn't need to fit that tightly; it only needs to be airtight so the fuel vapor recovery system will work properly. Second, the tight fit and the sharp edge practically guarantee that the outside tube will split. Since the only way to replace the filler without a lift rack is to remove the pickup bed, I didn't want to go through all that work only to end up replacing the filler again because it cracked.

So, the fix was to take the sleeve and put it on an anvil (any hard steel surface will do) and carefully round the edge of the flange with a ball peen hammer. I emphasize CAREFULLY; it doesn't take much to round off the sharp edge of the flange, and you want to be sure to round it evenly to keep it in true round for a good fit with the outside tube. Rounding the edge of the flange reduces its diameter slightly, and gives it a much smoother surface, both of which make it much easier to slide the sleeve into the new filler.

None of that is a problem caused by this replacement filler, of course. It's a great fit and it looks like great construction with good quality materials. I expect my truck to die before this filler tube does.

Magical Healing Mantra Om Mani
Magical Healing Mantra Om Mani

5.0 out of 5 stars Om Mani Padme Hum, January 16, 2013
I downloaded the Om Mani Padme Hum track from this album. I don't know about any of the other tracks, but I really like that one. It's a meditation, which means that it's essentially the same thing repeated over and over, so don't be expecting great musical innovation...or even anything that's especially exciting or attention-grabbing. But that's the whole point of meditation music; it's not supposed to knock you out. It's supposed to be relaxing. This particular track has a nice combination of oriental instruments: wood flute (or maybe it's bamboo), plus ehru (chinese violin), and a plucked instrument that sounds like a pipa or a ruan (Chinese lute), accompanied by a male + female chorus singing in unison, an octave apart. Pretty cool.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3