Profile for J. Smith > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 39

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Smith RSS Feed (Chicago)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Wireless Glasses Kit (942-11431-0007-001)
Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Wireless Glasses Kit (942-11431-0007-001)
Offered by Dave Parkers
Price: $160.00
17 used & new from $139.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning for people with colorblindness., March 4, 2015
The kit is nice and nothing wrong with it, well made ect. Just wanted to post a comment about this and colorblindness, as I could not find much info on the interwebs about the topic. I have not been able to see 3D clearly due to my colorblindness (red/green). This newer tech I heard that it should be just fine. This was not in my case. The images seem blurry, I would see the dual layer even with the glasses on. I would also get a headache quite rapidly once they were on my head for 10 minutes. It may just be my eyes, but just be warned if you are colorblind and considering this product.

Q Up - Tonearm Lifter
Q Up - Tonearm Lifter
Offered by Quantum Wireless
Price: $59.99
17 used & new from $54.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to, only thing out there like it. Cheap plastic., February 6, 2015
This does exactly what it is supposed to do and is a nice addition to my
Rega RP1 when I'm away from my turntable and unable to quickly lift the tone arm. It is the only thing out there of it's kind as far as I know. However, it feels so insanely cheap. At $60 bucks I think a little better quality of plastic could be used. I'd still buy it again given the fact there is no competition for this device. I think a more suitable and honest price would be around $30.

Extraterrestrial
Extraterrestrial
DVD

3.0 out of 5 stars The ending makes up for the beginning., October 20, 2014
If you are a fan on the genre, you will probably like it. The end is what brought the score up for me. Most if it just seemed like the usual.... No spoilers, but if you love alien sci fi and been around a few years, you'll get a real kick out of the ending.

Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Body Wash, 12 Fluid Ounces (Pack of 3)
Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Body Wash, 12 Fluid Ounces (Pack of 3)
Price: $23.97
5 used & new from $16.97

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best body wash out there., September 29, 2014
Really great body wash, Really! Smells great and feels great washing with it. I have tried just about every body wash out there and this one is truly different. Rinses off really nicely. It doesn't feel like your body has been stripped of all moisture like others. This may seem silly, but what I have noticed about this: using other body washes, if you unload a bunch of soap on the scrunchy sponge thingie and only use it for 5 seconds and hang it up, the next time you use it there is absolutely no soap left on the sponge. Where does it go? When you hang the sponge up with the Burt's, the next time I use it, there is still lather and soap left on the sponge.

After the Dark
After the Dark
DVD ~ James D'Arcy
Price: $11.99
42 used & new from $4.48

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm like... all philosophical and stuff now., September 26, 2014
This review is from: After the Dark (DVD)
Wow, what a stinker! There are no adjectives in the entire universe that can perfectly convey how bad this movie is. I'm pretty patient with movies, even bad ones. This one really annoyed and bored the livin' crap out of me. So bad it made me angry. It did prove to me that there is no God. How can a loving and caring God allow a movie like this to be made? If you have ever had a root canal while having bad acid reflux and a hernia, then you have a small taste of what it is like watching this film.

The Girl Next Door
The Girl Next Door
DVD ~ William Atherton
Price: $6.26
41 used & new from $3.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good movie, but a "One time watch", September 25, 2014
This review is from: The Girl Next Door (DVD)
I have been on a mission to watch "the most disturbing movies of all time". This one comes in at 2nd place right behind Funny Games (1997) in my quest. Many of the movies I have watched that were ranked on the interwebs are mostly over the top gore or just downright poorly done. So poorly done, that it is hard to take seriously. The Girl Next Door does not fall into either of those categories. It is filmed, acted, and told very well. It is a "Good Movie" but a hard watch.
What is so sad, is extreme child abuse happens often. More often that we think or know. We only hear the 30 second spot on the news about child abuse so they can move on to who Kim Kardashian is in bed with or overblown partisan politics.
What kept pounding a nail in my brain is that this stuff really happens, which truly makes it all that much more disturbing. Watching it acted out was tough to stomach. I even felt bad watching it, like the main character, but it keeps your attention to find closure.
I do have a strong stomach, due to my movie quest. I have already seen "the worst of the worst" but this one for me ranks higher. I would say sadistic movies are definitely my breaking point to be considered disturbing. More than watching silly senseless gore.
As for any child abusers/molesters that may be reading this: I hope you enjoy Hell.

Suspiria (Two-Disc Special Edition)
Suspiria (Two-Disc Special Edition)
DVD ~ Jessica Harper
Price: $11.71
29 used & new from $9.68

5.0 out of 5 stars 2014 and this is my first time???!!!!! Instantly one of my favs., September 15, 2014
Like most westerners, I have seen an abundance of films. I'm a gen x'er whose joints are now starting to ache, walking through the mediocrities of life not wanting to get too worked up about anything. That being said, I was never into horror movies growing up. So it was never a genre I sought out. The ones I did see never scared me and I just kind of found them silly. So I didn't watch too many. Here in my early 40s, I have had an itching to catch up on all those horror movies I robbed my childhood and young adulthood of. I have watched a boat load of horror. I always thought they would be cheesy, obligatory nude shots, and senseless gore. As it turns out, I was completely right!! They are good for a chuckle and I really have yet to be scared from a horror movie.
Being a late bloomer, I guess I can attest that to the reason I never heard of this film till 2014. I was surfing the interwebs as we all do. Searching for lists of "the best horror films of all time". A couple lists I found mentioned this one, usually towards the bottom below the Halloweens, Friday the 13ths and the rest of the usual suspects. So I walked into this not expecting any different reaction than any of the other horror movies I have watched. What happened, however is something completely different. I wouldn't say I was scared watching this per-say. The acting was good, the story was ok. The real candy is atmosphere Argento created. I was absolutely blown away. The music, colors, sets, shadows, camera angles created an atmosphere I have never ever experienced. I found it absolutely mesmerizing. It's not "trippy" or psychedelic. I think it transcends those descriptions into a world and style of it's own. Even though it's considered horror, I think it is one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. It just floors me that I saw something "new" from something I should have seen sooner. Who knows, maybe I saw it when I was supposed to see it. Truly a masterpiece.

Antichrist
Antichrist
DVD
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars A steaming pile for conversations at the coffee house., September 15, 2014
This review is from: Antichrist (Amazon Instant Video)
I always considered myself at least somewhat intellectual, definitely not stupid. I have always enjoyed film, whether it be silly Hollywood blockbusters, twisted thrillers, clever sci-fi, a touching indie, a mesmerizing art-house, or cheesey horror movies. I have enjoyed many "so-called intellectual" movies with all kinds of symbolism and the search for answers of the nuclear existential man. You know, all that "high brow" stuff that makes us feel important because we watched a movie.
I have been on a mission of late, to view "the most disturbing films of all time". This title was mentioned many times in my search. So, I had to watch it! This was not disturbing, but laughable. It was like watching a really bad B-Movie that was filmed with A-Movie equipment. Sure, it had some nice cinematography, but really? Was there that much fantastic cinematography to make up for the boredom of the story? Sure, the shots with the son and the window, and the tree thing was neat. If I would have known better, I could have saved a lot of time and watched those two segments and said "yep, that's perdy".
The acting was fine, Defoe rarely disappoints, and this film was no different with his performance. I can not excuse any of it's few attributes with the downright slow, senseless, boring story, and tempo. Taking us to the last 10 minutes of the film of over the top torture and violence. "Von Trier was breaking boundaries!!" Ejaculating blood? Seen it, watch the ending of Nekromantik. A three second clip of full non simulated sex? Who cares, how important was that to the story? That I had to make sure I saw a penis enter a vagina to make sure I understood they were having intercourse? For shock value? Shock? That is so sophomoric, anyone could come up with the idea of putting non simulated sex into a movie for shock value. That is one of the most taboo subjects in mainstream movies. That idea of utilizing it doesn't take a genius.
Then the "cutting edge" torture scene. Just way over the top and done so in a way it just came off as pretentious and cheesy. This whole film comes off as a pretentious steaming pile of schlock.
"A Serbian Film" was shocking. Far more entertaining, and well shot. With an atmosphere to it where you didn't want to take a nap. You want disturbing? Watch "Funny Games" from 1997, and you'll see that you don't need gore and graphic torture to chill you to the bone.
I just don't understand how these A-List actors are waiting in line to be signed up to get paid $1.50 an hour just to have the honor of being in one of Von Trier's films.
I really don't rant about movies, I rarely write bad reviews, but I felt insulted by this movie. Maybe I'm getting too old. Maybe I'm eating too many GMOs and it's killing my brain cells for deep thought. What I do know is that Von Trier is no where close in the ranks of Kubrick, Tarantino, Hitchcock, Argento, Gilliam, Jarmusch, Scorsese, Cohen, or Lynch.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2014 5:19 PM PST

Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer
Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer
Price: $5.49
33 used & new from $0.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Twas the night before...., September 1, 2014
'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the kitchen,
I was making a fruit tray that was totally bitchin'
The bananas were all hung from hooks with care
So they would not spoil early and unable to share.
The oranges were halved and the strawberries hulled.
The cherries were washed and their stems pulled.
And peaches were peeled, seeded, and quartered.
I grabbed the bananas and thought my plans were thwarted!
“How will I prepare these bananas” I asked in vain.
I didn't think preparing them would be such a pain!
My wife stormed in and said “whats the matter?”
I said “don’t bother me now with your senseless clatter!”
I stopped and said sorry and started to slouch.
It was Christmas Eve and I didn't want to sleep on the couch.
I said “honey, I need to cut these bananas, do you have any advice?”
She smiled at me and said “I got just the thing that makes the perfect slice!”
I was relieved, grateful, and excited!
Oh how my guests will be gleefully delighted!
She handed me the contraption, I knew what just to do!
It sliced the bananas perfectly, nothing askew!
I hugged my wife and said “you were always the wiser”
She saved Christmas with the Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer!

Tom's of Maine Natural Original Deodorant Stick Unscented -- 2.25 oz
Tom's of Maine Natural Original Deodorant Stick Unscented -- 2.25 oz
Offered by AmericanWholesale
Price: $4.83
22 used & new from $4.25

3.0 out of 5 stars Mildly disappointed., July 21, 2014
I purchased 3 of these on sale. Like many people, I have changed my eating habits and health care to a more natural and organic route. When purchasing this, I knew it would not last as long as the anti antiperspirants I have used my whole life. I have been fortunate that I am not a stinky person, even though I sweat a lot on a hot day or when working. It said long lasting, so I though it might be decent. Unfortunately, it only lasts about 2 hours for me, so I apply it often. I don't want to be harsh on them , because I do appreciate their idea of less chemicals and no animal testing in their products. It's still a good product, but know it might not last too long. I also purchased one of those crystal deodorants expecting the same results, but it has been amazing, lasting about 12 hours and no odor at all, they are not scented (if that is important to you).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4