Profile for Dalyn J. Weller > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 51

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dalyn J. Weller "~Dalyn" RSS Feed (Port Orchard, WA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Nourished Kitchen: Farm-to-Table Recipes for the Traditional Foods Lifestyle Featuring Bone Broths, Fermented Vegetables, Grass-Fed Meats, Wholesome Fats, Raw Dairy, and Kombuchas
by Jennifer McGruther
Price: $16.76
69 used & new from $11.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrumptious Book, October 10, 2014
This a beautiful as well as practical book. In the spirit of Nourishing Traditions, my favorite, comes along this jewel with more recipes and practical how-to's.

Jennifer McGruther has created a masterpiece, a scrumptious book!

She covers all the basics in this farm cookbook from rendering tallow to cheeses and breads, syrups to shellfish she's got all bases covered in elegant style as well as an orderly fashion with chapters like: From the Larder, From the Orchard and From the Range.

If you want to utilize local foods, your farmer's markets and what you grow and raise yourself you're in luck.

This is so much more than a cookbook. Want to learn to make fermented foods? Milk kefir? Kombucha or water kefir? Well okay then. She's got you covered here and in so many other areas.

This is one I will proudly display and not put on a shelf. It will get plenty of use. The art of eating well is clearly illustrated and some basic information is laid out regarding things such as the myth of vegetarian fed chickens.

I not only recommend this book I highly suggest it.

*This book was given to me for free by the publisher in order to be able to write an unbiased written review.

A Very Fine House: A Mother's Story of Love, Faith, and Crystal Meth
A Very Fine House: A Mother's Story of Love, Faith, and Crystal Meth
by Barbara Cofer Stoefen
Price: $14.92
59 used & new from $9.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, September 29, 2014
A Very Fine House is a very fine read.

Just finished this and it was, for sure riveting.

From a Norman Rockwell picture perfect life to a parent's nightmare. From the family princess to a homeless drug addict.

But...from a comfortable life, to despair, anguish and strong faith. To freedom. What a story!

A gift to any parent of an addict, or anyone related in any way for that matter. I'd also add that it would be of special interest to those who love someone with a mental illness, personality disorder, or is otherwise sometimes a "handful". Worry, anxiety, betrayal- it all follows when you have someone in your life who is out of control.

Barb wrote this book in such a voice that I was there, if you know what I mean. She wrote honestly and openly and her pearls of wisdom are invaluable. I walked her journey with her as she told it and major life lessons unfolded. I highly suggest a visit to her site. She has kept the information, advice and resources coming. If the book offers hope the site will be of practical benefit. As a matter of fact follow this link and watch a video. This wonderful woman will even come and speak!

Although there were many painful moments it was a relief to see that Barb and her family actually received more than they lost by the end. The Lord came through when all hope seemed lost. Barb calls her Annie the hero and I'll agree but I'm nominating Barb for Mother of the Year!

Fantastic read. Helpful beyond what I imagined. Barb has a quick wit and sharp mind and serves us well by educating us and not merely relaying her experience but showing us the way to get through. Not only to survive but pick up the pieces and really live, no matter the outcome.

I highly recommend this book as a great and enthralling read- well-written, but also as a source of help and example of handling one of our culture's most difficult of situations for some families.

*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an unbiased written review.

Miss Me Juniors Wings Flap Pocket Skinny Jean, MK Blue, 29
Miss Me Juniors Wings Flap Pocket Skinny Jean, MK Blue, 29

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite skinny, September 4, 2014
Love the fit but they are a bit lower waisted than the boot cut jeans. They do however for much better than AE jeans

Simple Thai Food: Classic Recipes from the Thai Home Kitchen
Simple Thai Food: Classic Recipes from the Thai Home Kitchen
by Leela Punyaratabandhu
Price: $17.99
70 used & new from $13.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Photos, September 3, 2014
So, I don't eat Thai food often. Simply because it's not readily available where I live. I do, however, love it. It seems too complicated to make, and the ingredients too hard to obtain. This book made it reasonable. Whew!

The recipes are lovely and like all cookbooks, there are a sprinkling in it that don't appeal to me, but on the whole, majority wins for deliciousness. The full color, glossy photos are a treat for the eyes. Being visual, I almost never even bother with a cookbook without them.

Just being honest.

I adore the visual beauty of this book- the Thai language at the top of each recipe adds interest.

There's a helpful glossary in the back.

There's also a section that teaches you some Thai basics like seasoning blends, sauces, pastes, etc.

This book is useable and it's so lovely I think it's a great gift idea.

*I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for an unbiased written review*

Where the Wind Leads: A Refugee Family's Miraculous Story of Loss, Rescue, and Redemption
by Vinh Chung
Price: $17.33
65 used & new from $12.19

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book Worth Reading, August 1, 2014
I had a revelation that shook me. When I was a kid, I had such a great opportunity to show love to the Vietnamese "boat people" and I missed it! I only had my own little bitty love, not the never-failing love of Jesus. Not yet. I grew up in a series of very poor neighborhoods and I remember the new surge of refugees coming to live among us. There is either love, or fear. We all chose fear. We were warned by the adults to keep our pets close, the Vietnamese would eat them! We had to stay away, so we didn't catch any diseases they might have brought. Foolish. Senseless. It grieves me now, and what I wouldn't give to go back to 5th and 6th grade and befriend the sweet, skinny, befuddled new kid at school. That young Vietnamese boy had not a friend in the world that I could see.

It shames me now. What I wouldn't give to go back and be kind. Love them and help ease their transition into American life.

They were poorer than us, and that made a mark. Their houses smelled funny, and were crammed to the rafters with their relatives. They were so different from us. If only I'd have known the dangers that kid survived to get to Mr. Deacon's classroom. The deprivation he had experienced that put our poverty into the "living in luxury" category.

To think what I missed; could have learned and turned from. To think what I could have given!

There's a line on page 234 in the first paragraph that says" Prejudice begins with ignorance, and whenever one culture first meets another, there is ignorance."

So true.

This book; it's a memoir and it hits home to me because I lived among these people and didn't know a thing about them. They were strong because they had to be. They were sharing and they were a people who thrived in community.

Part of their community- the biggest piece really, was Church. They came to know Jesus on the journey through some supernatural events, even though they didn't know who Jesus is.

On page 247-248 are these words:

"For us, the Vietnamese church in Fort Smith was a community where people with similar problems and needs could come together and help one another; it was a place of learning and spiritual growth; and it was where we learned to serve others and to give back. We were a poor refugee family "fresh off the boat" in America, but we felt blessed to be here and believed we had a responsibility to give back, and the more we gave the more we received. That's a mistake often made in America: we spend our lives seeking to be served, instead of seeking to serve others, and the more we receive, the less we seem to have."

I'm letting you know this book is worth reading because these people's story is worth being told. I had a hard time putting it down. Vinh Chung and Tim Downs did a fabulous job of telling this story. You will be richer for reading it, and maybe more compassionate and generous?
*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an unbiased review

Modern Pioneering: More Than 150 Recipes, Projects, and Skills for a Self-Sufficient Life
by Pellegrini, Georgia
Price: $17.67
61 used & new from $13.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Something Fresh, June 21, 2014
There are a lot of homesteady-type books out there but this one was a bit different. More modern. There are so artisan recipes that look more appealing than some of the more standard self-reliance type books. The volume itself is very well organized and easy to use with step-by-step directions, many of them including nice, glossy photography.

I definitely recommend this book to newbies as well as old hats like me who like something fresh now and again. This book covers the basics and is pleasing to the eye. I could only wish it covered raising animals but it doesn't. Gardening, food, crafts, everything an urban farm girl could wish for and then some. For us agrarian dwellers who keep critters it still has offerings. The recipes especially.

I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an unbiased written online review.

Miss Me Juniors Floral Embroidered Flap Pocket Bootcut Jean, Medium Blue, 29
Miss Me Juniors Floral Embroidered Flap Pocket Bootcut Jean, Medium Blue, 29

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit, June 15, 2014
These jeans fit perfectly. They are low waisted but don't ride so low you need to keep pulling your sort down in the back to make sure you don't have underwear showing. It's hard to find jeans that fit this well and look this flattering. I love these! I have bought 3 pairs recently I like them so much.

Miss Me Juniors Embellished Paisley Embroidered Bootcut Jean, Medium Blue, 29
Miss Me Juniors Embellished Paisley Embroidered Bootcut Jean, Medium Blue, 29

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, June 9, 2014
love the fit! Love the look! These jeans are gorgeous! I love them. The wash is just right. Dressed down or up, they look great.

Face to Face with Jesus: A Former Muslim's Extraordinary Journey to Heaven and Encounter with the God of Love
by Samaa Habib
Price: $12.57
65 used & new from $4.88

5.0 out of 5 stars A Loving Wake-Up Call, June 9, 2014
Samaa's story reads like a chapter of the Book of Acts in the New Testament.

What she has to say, what her testimony cries out, is a wake-up call for Christians. God is alive- He is very active in our lives. He is loving, powerful and wants a super-natural lifestyle for His children.

I was enthralled and challenged by this book. Wake-up call indeed.

Growing up a devout muslim in a 3rd world Islamic country, Samaa wanted desperately to have a relationship with Allah. He wouldn't answer. In the midst of a civil war, near starvation, where just waiting for bread in the breadline could mean a chilling death, and going from wealth to poverty began to disillusion her. Muslim against muslim, doing unspeakable violence to each other, and as she battled to survive each day amidst the danger and fear, God intervened. He used a missionary living among the muslims of her country, teaching Tae Kwon Do classes for free to the public. An amazingly courageous man, he spoke openly about Jesus and shared the gospel at every class. He had a worship and prayer time, for which any muslim in that country could have killed him with the approval of the community. He gave Samaa a children's Bible, and then Jesus came to her in a dream. He loves the muslim people! And she reminds us of this.

Her life, completely, simply, profoundly given over to Christ, is an adventure. She survived persecution, even from her own family, who by the way did come to Christ. She never stopped sharing the gospel no matter the cost, which was frequently high.

She survived death.

Terrorists bombed her church. She was standing right next to a bomb that detonated and killed and injured many. She had a death experience, saw Jesus face to face, and came back to continue to share the gospel and encourage the church. Her recovery was long and painful, and she experienced persecution even from the muslim doctors and nurses while she lay near death. Still, she lovingly shared the gospel with them. Prayed for them. Such a contrast between her actions and what mine might be. Getting to know Samaa through the pages of her extremely well-written story has changed me.

The fact that my favorite author, Bodie Theone was the American writer who helped tell the tale is the cherry on top. I love this woman's writing and have had my faith increased over and over in her own books.

I don't want to give the story away here, there's too much to tell anyway, it's a book you read on the edge of your seat, turning page after page, long after you should be doing something else or sleeping.

Face To Face With Jesus is an education in the muslim culture, and in a simple, profound faith that walks in obedience. Seeing what it looks like close-up. Being refined by persecution and poverty is a blessing in disguise sometimes. This powerful testimony caused me to reevaluate everything. To a person who likes her comfort a tad too much, that could be hard. Except it wasn't. I am so excited to read about the reality of God's work in the present day that I find myself longing and praying for more Jesus. More of the Holy Spirit and so, so much less of me. I have read chapters of this book over and over.

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher for free in exchange for an unbiased written review.

Homedics HX-P23OBL HMDX Jam Blueberry Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
Homedics HX-P23OBL HMDX Jam Blueberry Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
Price: $24.95
65 used & new from $14.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Acts like it's a disposable, May 15, 2014
Works great...at first. Within about 6 months it won't hold a charge. We've bought about 4 of them and loved them the first fee months. One of them came not holding a charge though. I wouldn't buy one again. Sad, because it's a great idea and really good looking.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6