Profile for Sketcha > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sketcha RSS Feed

Coby CX90BLK Digital Pocket AM/FM Radio, Black
Coby CX90BLK Digital Pocket AM/FM Radio, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Battery Life is Great! Don't believe the hype., December 13, 2012
Battery life is great! I believe those that are complaining about it are in error. The unit is very easy to accidentally turn on... IF... you fail to hit the "Lock" switch. I have Eneloops in mine and have gone weeks with a dozen workouts. I pulled the batts and tested 'em. Still a good half full. Back in and more workouts since.

*EDIT* 01/09/13
A dozen more 45 min. workouts on same batteries and still going. It's all about the lock feature, folks.

Cons:

1. Manual says that the presets should remain if you change batteries before they die and change them quickly. My one attempt at this was not successful.

2. Reception may not be great. Not all of the TVs in my gym come in. Perhaps it's the gym and not the radio. I haven't tried another radio, so I can't be sure. The unit seems to pull in plenty of other stations.

It's a solid digital radio at a great price.

Tasco Essentials 10x25 Compact Binocular (Black)
Tasco Essentials 10x25 Compact Binocular (Black)
Price: $12.47
45 used & new from $8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Tasco 8x21 are a much better pair of binoculars, September 18, 2012
Bought a pair of these from a big box outfit yesterday. Took 'em home and pit 'em against the legendary Tasco 8x21 set.

1. The 8x21s were much more pleasing to look through

2. The 8x21s are clear throughout. The 10x25s are barely clear in the center and terribly fuzzy and distorted beyond the center point.

3. Of course the 10x25s are higher powered, but I believe I could still make out a whisker more detail with the 8x21s.

4. Eye relief is similar on each, but since the outer edges of the 10x25s are distorted, they have, essentially less eye relief and thus the 8x21s have a wider field of vision

5. The 8x21s are more compact

6. My 8x21s are every bit as clear as my more expensive and much larger and heavier Barska Atlantic 8x32s. The only benefit to the larger pair is the larger field of vision

7. The Tasco 10x25s might be the worst pair of binoculars I have ever had the displeasure of peering through. I returned them within about an hour of purchase
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2012 1:13 PM PDT

MTM Shooting Range Box
MTM Shooting Range Box
Price: $39.96
17 used & new from $33.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Great... but my unit had a major, but easily fixable flaw., August 9, 2012
This review is from: MTM Shooting Range Box (Sports)
The box is exactly as it looks in the photos. I am very happy with mine... with one, minor caveat...

The large, plastic, outer snaps that hold the top tray to the bottom box arrived way too loose. They barely touched the latch, if at all. Not even worth considering trying to walk out the door with any hope of not spilling the contents every time.

So rather than try and send it back with the possibility of a replacement with the same problem, I instead got my MacGyver on and took a hair dryer to them. I heated them up and then bent and held them a bit until they cooled. This worked perfectly. Now the snaps require what I consider the right amount of force to close and they hold tight.

If this happens to you, there's your easy fix.

Because of this I can't give the unit 5 stars, but would have... had the unit arrived functioning properly.

BARSKA Blackhawk 20-60x60 Angled Spotting Scope with Tripod, Soft Carrying Case And Premium Hard Case
Price: $110.98
18 used & new from $95.95

5.0 out of 5 stars .30 Cal. Bullet at 200 Yards - No Problem, March 2, 2012
I used my new spotting scope to sight in my .30-06 rifle today. It was partly sunny, i.e. there was really plenty of light, so I can't comment on its low light performance.

.30 Caliber holes were easily distinguishable on a white, paper target at 200 yards. I would think 250 would also fly. 300 might be pushing it, but that would be pure speculation on my part.

I did not note much loss of clarity between 40 and 60x magnification. This might show up in lower light situations, perhaps. Of course the field of view and eye relief become tighter and tighter as you zoom in, but that's to be expected. I believe that both FOV and eye relief are noticeably better than the cheaper Simmons/Tasco versons of the Meade Travel View that I tested at Walmart. Sure I wasn't able to keep my eyeglasses on while looking through the Barska, but the Meade just about had my eyeball touching the glass.

The tripod is actually pretty stable for what it is. For this task, it was perfect. I felt no need to pull out my camera tripod. Only downside is its lack of a lateral tilt. This would have allowed me to remain seated between shots and checking the spotting scope, but the fact is, for sighting purposes, it's wise to let your barrel cool down between shots anyway. And what do you want for this kind of dough? Yes, the Meade does have a more adjustable tripod, but it was not as stable. And since my eyeball was right on top of the lens on the Meade, it was difficult to keep the thing from wobbling all over the place. Not so with Barska.

Hard case is great and there is a soft case included too.

I returned my "Shoot 'n See" targets on the way home today as they were not needed since new spotting scope made the holes at 200 yards. So there's $25 back in my pocket!

For just over a hundred bucks... I think this thing is a steal!

The Unnatural Aging of Cheese: From Partying to Parenthood - A Collection of Humorous Short Stories
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh Out Loud Funny!!!, December 9, 2011
How does he do it??? From the very first page, Steve begins to weave a clear, metaphorically enhanced visual that takes an otherwise pretty dang funny story and just makes it downright hilarious! It's best not to read this one in the library as this great collection of short stories will have you laughing out loud the whole way through. And in our, busy, borderline A.D.D. world, one can take a few minutes out of a day to grab this book, pick a chapter, enjoy a good belly laugh and get back to work.

I love this book! Can't wait for the sequel. Highly recommended!