Profile for Emma > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 91

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Emma RSS Feed (Milltown, NJ)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Lifetime 1221 Pro Court Height-Adjustable Portable Basketball System with Backboard
Price: $99.00
15 used & new from $89.74

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful instructions, September 23, 2012
My review is for the set up. I'll have to get back to you on durability as this took all afternoon to set up. The assembly manual is AWFUL. They go to great lengths to label all the parts in the manual...and stamp different numbers/letters on the actual pieces so what is the point? Two bolts and two washers are not even the right size. The assembly book is all pictures, very few are helpful, and no words. The tube inside tube packing tacked on twenty extra minutes for assembly. I realize this is a cheaper model but a gas tank type cap would have made sand pouring a whole lot faster. I have never had such a mess with assembly and have assembled far more complicated things. If you really don't like a kid's parents by all means give this as a gift.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2012 6:33 AM PDT

BONEShieldz Knee/Wrist/Elbow Guard Cruiser Tri Pack, Youth
BONEShieldz Knee/Wrist/Elbow Guard Cruiser Tri Pack, Youth

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, December 15, 2011
The Boneshieldz set was reasonably priced, promptly delivered, and of good quality. I searched everywhere for all three items of protective gear. No one had a set like this so I was thrilled to get it for a good price and then to see the high quality.

Disney Kids' D827S401 Tinker Bell Time Teacher Pink Strap Watch
Disney Kids' D827S401 Tinker Bell Time Teacher Pink Strap Watch

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after minimal use, November 3, 2010
The winder fell off. Too expensve of a repair considering the cost of the watch says the jeweler. I am disappointed!

Rubbing Plates (RYL5843) Category: Crayons
Rubbing Plates (RYL5843) Category: Crayons
Offered by Wizard of Math
Price: $11.81
14 used & new from $7.86

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Item, August 14, 2009
Picture is of sea creature theme. Bug Thene is in description and what was shipped.

Fighting for Tony
Fighting for Tony
by Mary Callahan
72 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Honestly by the other review I am wondering what you read, July 18, 2007
This review is from: Fighting for Tony (Paperback)
Did she slap the kid one time that I read in the book...yes. Was it wrong...yes. Should they have worked on a better marrriage and environment for the kids...yes. Should their kids be taken away because they could not afford to live in a better neighborhood...no. The saying "People in glass houses should not throw stones" comes to mind. It is always the self-righteous who fall the hardest.

This book explores through a very human story the nature of autism and its destructiveness. I only wish more folks knew of it. It reminds us of the importance of at least ruling in or out allergies and the need for biomedical and/or dietary intervention to assist in recovery, be it full or partial, and hope, be it full or partial, for a group of children that society, and sadly, often doctors, don't really understand and refrain from helping...not so much from a place of spite as a place of fear. Whether the autism or the root cause of ut in Tony's case affects you and yours, his story is likely relevant, moreso some 20 years after it was written. I just wish there was a sequel.

Flotsam
Flotsam
by David Wiesner
Price: $14.66
163 used & new from $1.04

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have, March 27, 2007
This review is from: Flotsam (Hardcover)
This book was a gift to my son to help me help him with his speech delay. It has done that and more. My daughter loves to hear the story over and over and asks everyone to tell it so she hears new versions. It is great for family time and is the one book that there are no fights over my lap with. Warning: You must tell your preschoolers that the camera in the book is special and that the cameras we have at home will break. We found that out the hard way. I am thinking of giving this as a gift to 5 year olds with a disposable underwater camera.

Twist: Yoga Poems
Twist: Yoga Poems
by Janet S. Wong
Price: $14.86
54 used & new from $0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, March 13, 2007
This review is from: Twist: Yoga Poems (Hardcover)
The librarian read this at story time and the kids loved it. Not every position can be done by all ages but it is sure fun to try. Plus, The book is broken up nicely, poem by poem, position, by position which makes it easy to do. I highly recommend this!

Vital Friends: The People You Can’t Afford to Live Without
Vital Friends: The People You Can’t Afford to Live Without
by Tom Rath
Price: $18.51
399 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Not disquieting at all, March 12, 2007
I disagree with the reviewer who liked the book but found it disquieting. Rath simply shows the value of friendships at work. The part the reviewer found disquieting was where Rath shows how the friendships can be used in productivity. He is not, in any way, fostering the idea that we become friends with someone because of what they can do for us at work. He is encouraging business leaders to create an environment where natural friendships are encouraged and showing them that such an environment will reward them as well because their happy and content employees will produce more and better work results and will not be out of work due to illness.

The Stardust Lounge: Stories from a Boy's Adolescence
The Stardust Lounge: Stories from a Boy's Adolescence
by Deborah Digges
Price: $11.45
75 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read BUT, December 20, 2006
This book was difficult to put down. I enjoyed the story. For that reason I gave it 5 stars.

Ms. Digges is a good writer and a good mother but I disagreed with many points made in this book. For one thing, should it really have taken all those therapists to figure out that this kid, whose only steady older male figure in life, went crazy after that male figure, his older brother, left for college? The kid obviously had abandonment issues. Why? Because his mother kept marrying unavailable men in jobs and/or lives that kept them away a lot. She seemed to like it because it allowed her to freely (a bit too freely) raise her boys. I raise this issue because the most helpful therapist said the past is irrelevant. Frankly, I think it was quite relevant. Ms. Digges, a rebel herself, a true child of the 60's, married a military guy. Why, because she wanted to escape her oppressive parents. Then, surprise, she has babies with that husband yet does not agree with him on parenting issues. They divorce and the boys, particularly the youngest child, are left holding the baggage she created for them. She then picks another unavailable guy and he ultimately leaves. All of this is relevant since, despite the fact that she raised two boys who ultimately made it, both appear to be nomads. Let's hope they learned through their own examination of the past to be prepared to be available and part of a team when they have kids, if they choose to have them.

The big solution for this kid is to teach him the value of fairness. Great, but honestly, that discussion at a younger age might have prevented a lot. For instance, could she not have introduced this concept when the whole family was busy destroying rented houses? Honestly, I pity their many landlords.

On the subject of fairness, she talks a lot about how society doesn't "get" her kid. I believe the traditional school path is not the best one for every kid, particularly this kid. With that said, she was a writer and professor with plenty of time on her hands to homeschool him. Was it fair to dump him on a school system in his condition?

She also seems to talk about how "poor" they were at times. Seriously, legitimately poor people do not eat take out as much as was referenced in this book. Poor people do not have her education. Poor people do not send their kids to (multiple) private schools. I realize citing limited funds paints a more pitiful story but self-imposed neediness is not pitiful.

She talks about people's views toward her as a single parent. Specifically, she says that people seem to revere single dads but dump on single moms. She's right. With that said, the dad in the story was interested and wanted to help. She admitted that she wanted to be the single mom with her boys. She did not want to be apart from them. Then, as unfair as people may be, when you choose the path, suck it up.

My view of this mom is that she did step up...later than I would have liked...but kudos to her for sticking by her son, especially when it seemed like it was the end of the road. She also gets kudos for taking in a foster son, who, by the way, gave her own troubled son the opportunity to be the big brother/dad he missed so much.

This is a good book. I think parents and people who work with children should read it. I don't believe it should be used as a guidebook by any means but there are important lessons in it, not the least of which, happy endings are possible.

As a mother of young children I want to believe prevention was critical here. As a mother who has encountered those times when I am shocked to learn that my kids have already decided my authority is limited, I pray I am right and that I can find the tools to prevent complete mutiny and worse. I am wise enough to never say never but I am well-planted enough in reality to say that troubled adolescent boys don't show up in your house without a history that explains at least some of it.

The Miraculous Tale of the Two Maries
The Miraculous Tale of the Two Maries
by Rosemary Wells
52 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story of heroines, October 15, 2006
I took this book out of the library. The illustration is beautiful and the story is captivating. It is the behind the scenes story of two saints told in a simple way that kids can easily understand. It reads like an adventure book. One small quibble is that because of the death component I'd wait until age 6 unless the kid has experienced death.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10