Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Profile for John Carroll > Reviews

Browse

John Carroll's Profile

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John Carroll RSS Feed (Alpharetta, GA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sex, Drugs, Ratt & Roll: My Life in Rock
Sex, Drugs, Ratt & Roll: My Life in Rock
by Sam Benjamin
52 used & new from $4.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read for Ratt fans but disturbing, May 23, 2013
Ratt is one of my favorite bands so I read this book pretty quickly. The first half of the book was actually quite fun. Found myself reliving the days of my youth listening to the killer hooks that this band wrote and watching the fun videos that they made. Good stories about meeting David Lee Roth and Eddie VH and touring with Ozzy. Was also very impressed with the work ethic that Pearcy had as a young lad. He was determined as hell to reach his dream of rock stardom and he did it pretty quickly. The second half of the book kind of disturbed me. Pearcy is a good songwriter with a distinctive voice(that will always remind me of Alice Cooper) BUT he obviously really lost his moral compass. It's one thing to be taking drugs and banging groupies daily when you're in your 20's but it's really kind of pathetic to still be doing it well into your 30's and 40's. I had no idea he had developed a Heroin addiction in the 2000's and was very much in it's grip when they were making Infestation(one hell of a good record). If the book does anything it describes just how evil that drug is. Pearcy has told it pretty honestly here. It does seem that the birth of his daughter helped him get his soul back. I hope the guy can keep it together because Ratt has brought me and a bunch of other folks a lot of joy over the last 30 years and that's the way I want to remember it.

Hot Wire
Hot Wire
31 used & new from $2.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Kick Ass Rock, October 8, 2009
This review is from: Hot Wire (Audio CD)
"Right through my spine
Gonna blow my mind
Rock & Roll overdose
Rock & Roll overdose...." Hell yes.. this rockin album marked the end of an era. The end of Les Pauls cranked up thru Marshall stacks with harp and reverb touches(because they add swagger). Radio taste would soon change and the Seattle bands would dominate(but not very long in retrospect). Girl Money, Bump the La La, Same Jane....this is the stuff of mindless loud god damn rockin good times. Eighteen year old album and still sounds fresh to me. The boys in Kix were the guys that smoked pot, drank beer and played their guitars for hours on end in their basement and the result was the kind of rock that kicked you in the gut. Unfortunately, this kind of music is a lost art.

She's The One
She's The One
Offered by Bridge_Media
Price: $9.89
210 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Starting to ramble on and on, September 8, 2009
This review is from: She's The One (Audio CD)
I like this record because the song Hope You Never describes exactly what is going on in my life. "I hope you never give a damn, hope you never loose your perspective, I hope you never fall in love with...somebody like you" The song reinforces the pain but also brings comfort because I know that Tom felt exactly like I did at one time. You really can't ask more from a song. The record also turned me on to Lucinda Williams with his cover of Change the Locks- a song with brilliant lyrics. Beck's Asshole is also a wonderful song. There are a few lighter songs(mood wise) like California and Zero From Outer Space but for the most part this is a very serious record. This is a record about heartbreak. This is music that brings me sadness and comfort. I'm so glad I recently rediscovered it.

Dan Baird & Homemade Sin
Dan Baird & Homemade Sin
7 used & new from $21.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Southern Fried Goodness, September 2, 2008
"I'm in love with this road, I'm in love with this car, I'm love with this radio station playin me some CCR". Damn, I'm love with this song(Two for Tuesday)- track 3 on Bairds new record. There's no effort to do anything modern or fashionable here. This is Bairds' crackly voice/guitar, Warner Hodges(Jason & The Scorchers) beautifully rude guitar, Mauro Magellan(Ga Satellites) steady drumming, and Keith Christopher(Yahoos) in the pocket bass playing laying down bar room rock and roll. Basically, the same kind of stuff that Baird's has been doing for the last 25 years. I like the fact that it sounds like a band recording in a room at the same time. It doesn't sound like the usual pro tools special. You've also got a variety of moods- the melancholy sound of Crooked Smile and Lazy Monday would of fit in on Salvation and Sin. Runnin, Outta Time(listen to the lyrics on this one) with it's B3 touches in the background sounds almost gospel like. Well Enough Alone,with it's snaky guitar riff, sounds like something off the second GA Satellites record. Hellizapoppin is the best song that Jerry Lee Lewis never wrote. Keep on bangin on that old Telecaster Dan Baird- it's a glorious racket.

Born Again
Born Again
22 used & new from $8.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Alive and Well, October 18, 2007
This review is from: Born Again (Audio CD)
This band was one of the biggest punching bags for the rock critics back in the late 80's..some of it deserved(white leather outfits in the video for Heaven comes to mind). But, while those rock critics are now selling insurance the cats in Warrant(sans Jani Lane who is doing god knows what) are cranking out melodic heavy southern california rock. They also aren't trying to "fit in" with any trend. They are clearly comfortable in their 40's something skin and are just playing what they know. Dirty Jack has a throbbing groove that would have been a hit 20 years ago. Bourbon County Line starts off with a monster riff which reminds me of how great it is to have Joey Allen back in the fold. You might not recognize him as he's half bald(it happens folks) and wears glasses, but this cat wails throughout(check out the solos in Angels, Down in Diamonds, & Roller Coaster). Jamie St James(x Black N Blue) sings just fine. His voice isn't quite as emotive as Lanes' but it is tuneful and he gives off a vibe of confidence and positivity that fits right in. He also wrote the best song on the record- Roxy. This is the classic 70's/80's style sleaze rock track that makes Warrant a fun band to listen to. I'm glad these guys have stuck it out. They may not make platinum albums any more but there are still a lot of folks out there like myself that appreciate how good this music can make you feel.

Laid Back [Remastered]
Laid Back [Remastered]
Price: $4.99
129 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Soulful Masterpiece, October 18, 2007
This review is from: Laid Back [Remastered] (Audio CD)
Some old bed I hope to be sharing.....sung like somebody who has seen too much and is letting it all flow out. Midnight Rider starts this record off with a sultry doeful groove that weaves thru the entire album. This is Gregg Allman singing for the down and out and it is one of the cool things that music like this actually makes you feel happy. I find my head constantly bobbing up and down as I listen to songs like Queen of Hearts and All My Friends. This is church music for rock and roll sinners...the kind of folks that drink too much but in the end have a good heart. The band is stellar- check out the 3/4 jazz riffing in Queen of Hearts. Please Call Home is as soulful as it gets brother- a man singing from his gut to a lover on her way out with nice guitar touches and gospel background vocals accentuating the sadness of the plea. The cover version of the Jackson Browne penned These Days captures the wistfullness of the lyrics perfectly especially as Gregg sings don't confront me with my failures I'm aware of them. Allman is as good a soul singer as this country has ever produced and this album is a masterpiece.

There I Said It!
There I Said It!
29 used & new from $7.54

5.0 out of 5 stars A Songwriter's Journey, March 8, 2007
This review is from: There I Said It! (Audio CD)
The thing I like the best about this album is that it ebbs and flows with an edgy sense of doom at any minute. Kind of like life. "I worry often. I live in terror of what life may have in store"(Nice Day). I hear what you're saying Womack and I'm glad you've got the guts to lay it on the line. A Cockroach After the Bomb rants and rocks and just keeps spewing out confessional truths until there's nothing left to say except "I'll go to my grave knowing I took me a chance". Damn straight Womack- you did take a chance. You could of given up a few years ago when things went black, but you found strength in your family, God, and music. The skinny white boy can still lay down a groove too- check out Flourescent Light Blues(nice guitar solo). Good production by John Deaderick. Well mixed record with fine backing musicians who only play to complement the messages in the songs. Rock on TW.

Van Halen II
Van Halen II
Offered by KWIX
Price: $8.53
101 used & new from $0.16

5.0 out of 5 stars The Kings, August 11, 2005
This review is from: Van Halen II (Audio CD)
In 1979 when this record was made, Van Halen was the hottest up and coming band on the planet. They had toured with Sabbath and Journey and word was spreading quick that This was the band to see and hear. This record starts off oddly with two melodic pop songs, a smoldering version of You're No Good and the good time bliss of Dance The Night Away. Then, the mood changes drastically- Somebody Get Me A Doctor starts off like a Kiss song and then kicks into a classic Eddie Riff. Roth screaming nonsensical lyrics that are freakin perfect. This song is Van Halen nirvana. Party keeps rocking along with Bottoms UP! and Outta Love Again- nothing amazing here, but solid songs with Roth and Edward wailing away. Track 6- Light Up The Sky is the real gem on this record- mean guitar riff with lots of mood and subtle volume changes. This song showed that these cats were way beyond rock and roll party animals. Behind the booze and egos was an incredibly tight and talented band. Name a band in 2005 that can write a riff as hot as D.O.A. They don't make bands like this anymore. Aint no Pro Tools used on this one either. Made in 6 days. I love this record.

Esp
Esp
3 used & new from $24.24

5.0 out of 5 stars 70's Hard Rock Bliss, May 21, 2005
This review is from: Esp (Audio CD)
If you were a teenager in the 70's, this is the stuff they played on the radio- Nazareth, The Who, Aerosmith, Deep Purple, Johnny Winter, Humble Pie, Sweet, Hendrix. O'kay, they didn't play Montrose, but if you were a musician you sure as hell listened to that band. This is four road tested hard rockers playing what inspired them to be musicians in the first place. Every song is sung with passion and played tight as hell. I had no idea Eric Singer was such a good singer. His vocals on Teenage Nervous Breakdown and Set Me Free hit the spot. Karl Cochran(Ace Frehley Band) has got a husky voice that is perfect for Johnny Winter's Still Alive and Well. He also does a fine job on that nutty Kiss song Goin Blind. As stupid as Kiss could be, you gotta hand it to them they wrote some classic riffs back in the 70's. Former Kiss guitarist Bruce Kulick flashes his formidable chops throughout- check out his smokin solo on Hendrix's Changes. John Corabi is a true blue rock and roller that sings his ass off on Free Ride, Never Before and S.O.S. This album is just a pleasure. Made for the love of music and no other reason. I hope there is more to come from these guys.

Siogo
Siogo
7 used & new from $23.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Rock Solid Arena Rock, February 1, 2005
This review is from: Siogo (Audio CD)
After non stop touring with everybody and their grandmother for the last 8 years(including The Who, Journey, and The Scorpions), this band had reached a rather disappointing place in 1983. Anybody who saw them live knew that they were one hell of a hard rock outfit. But, with the advent of new wave and techno bands in the early 80's, the no frills sound of Blackfoot was so 1978 and outta here. SIOGO(yeh, we all know what it stands for) was one hell of an arena rock platter with tight hard rock melodic songs fashioned by honest bad ass southern rockers. Interesting though how this album doesn't sound southern at all(save the rave up Drivin Fool). There's a definite british influence on songs like Send Me An Angel, Crossfire, Run For Cover, etc. Me thinks Mr. Medlocke had listened to some Thin Lizzy and UFO. Excellent cover of Nazareth's Heart's Grown Cold with their own stamp on it. The beginning of Sail Away sounds like a long lost Eddie Van Halen riff. Drivin' Fool is redneck headbangin bliss. Every song is anchored by the talented Jakson Spires- one of the best rock drummers ever. Pick it up.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2012 7:30 AM PDT