Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 45

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (Raleigh-ish, NC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Allegra K Ladies Scoop Neck Stretchy Long Sleeve Knitted Winter Sweater Black Large
Offered by uxcell
Price: $12.60
4 used & new from $12.60

2.0 out of 5 stars US size is WAY off - FAR too small, January 2, 2014
So, I'm usually a medium in tops - a large if they're supposed to be tighter fitting (I have broad shoulders). I'm about 5'8" and a size 6 in jeans. Ok, now look at that picture up there. So nice! Lovely, drapy sweater. Looks comfy and elegant at the same time, doesn't it? I ordered the US size large. I thought it might be shorter on me than on the model, but I was not prepared for it to look like a children's size large. I think that model must be about 4 feet tall and weigh about 60 pounds, and that's if she's wearing the size large. If she's wearing the small size I think she might be a Polly Pocket doll. Oh, I also wasn't prepared for the yarn to look like black dental floss held together by a strand of hair. Did I expect designer quality for the price? Oh, heavens, no. I would have thought it might be marginally wearable, though. Poor quality, poor size labeling - beware.

BIC Cristal For Her Ball Pen, 1.0mm, Black, 16ct (MSLP16-Blk)
BIC Cristal For Her Ball Pen, 1.0mm, Black, 16ct (MSLP16-Blk)
Price: $7.81
2 used & new from $7.81

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dream of a Simple Woman, August 29, 2012
"B... I... C?" Esther shook her head in consternation. "I can make nothing of it. Wherever did you get such a thing?"

"It was bequeathed upon me by my uncle," Jane responded with a sigh. "He might have left me something useful. A little money is always proper."

"Indeed, and only a small amount increases a lady's worth so that she may increase it further with but a little effort, yes?"

The girls giggled merrily together, but Jane felt truly slighted. With no daughters of his own, only one living son, her uncle might have ensured the prosperity of Jane and her sister with no trouble at all to her cousin. Only a small pension would have made either of them quite popular in Bath, but it would seem that her uncle - her favorite uncle - had not returned the sentiment.

The locket, her sole inheritance, was an unusual bit of artistry to say the least. Large, heavy, and without any grace of shape or style she knew that it would lie unworn at the bottom of some chest or other as, indeed, would her heart. Her uncle's affection had been her only cause for hope in a world where a woman must marry to ensure her livelihood, but without a little money of her own what man would want her when every day there was a Miss Smith or a Miss Price with five-thousand pounds who would eagerly accept any man with ten-thousand?

Jane ran her fingers over the ugly, asymmetrical design that was etched into the back of the thing. It seemed to represent a river or a rambling road, and at the very end of the meandering line was a tiny sapphire. The front was inlaid with strips of ivory that formed the letters B.I.C. She wondered how much it might be worth. Was it even made of real gold or only washed? No, she could not sell it. Even if the old man had discovered in the late hours of his life that he could spare not a farthing for his dear nieces Jane could not hate him so much as to sell his only bequeathing for a little spending money. She recalled how he had listened calmly, even respectfully, to the hopes she had told to no one, her hopes of writing, how deeply he seemed to feel her frustration as though it were his own, and knew she could not put away from her the only keepsake she had of him.

"Your mother mentioned that you will all be visiting Richard soon, didn't she?" Esther had all but forgotten about the locket and sat thumbing through Jane's copy of The Rambler. This was her way; Esther was quick to take interest in something, and just as quickly taken away by something else. "Yes, and I don't know if I can keep my countenance, knowing as I do that he might do for us so much more than he is likely to do." Esther put down her book and sat beside Jane wrapping a comforting arm about her friend's shoulders. "You must not expect such things in life. You are apt to be often disappointed, you know."

"Come with me, Esther. Do you think your parents can spare you?" Esther was somewhat surprised. "Why, Jane, I have never had the pleasure of meeting your dear cousin. Do you think it right that I should impose upon you all after the death of your uncle? This is, after all, a consolatory visit."

"Oh, I don't know," Jane smiled, "you are practically another sister to me, and it has been two months since he passed. And Richard is unmarried, you know. Perhaps you can improve your own situation." Again they giggled together in girlish glee. "Besides, I'm sure you will keep my spirits up admirably. I will have such need of you!"

Jane's pleas were at last favorably answered and they all set out to see what, in his letters, Richard had called "a surprise long in coming." The entire family set out with their guest on a beautiful spring afternoon for _____shire. He and his father had removed to their new location as the latter's health had begun to wane. No one quite knew why since there were none of the benefits of Bath or Lyme, and no society at all. Jane, however, was certain that the country solitude was just what her uncle would have yearned for as his life drew to a close.

"But this cannot possibly be the right address!" They had been collected from the post by Richard's own carriage. As they drove further and further into the country the number of cottages and smaller houses had diminished to nothing at all leaving Jane to wonder if they would find their cousin living beneath a lean-to in an open field. Now they had passed through the deep shade of a canopied lane and upon a wide lawn, obscured only slightly by scattered elm and oak, there rose into the sky a great stone structure. It must be ancient, the stone dark and adorned with patches of lichen, but was quite grand. No one spoke to correct her manners, though Jane's father turned to her with a quizzical look that she could only answer with a graceful shrug.

"My family arrives at long last!" Richard's manner was boisterous and kind, as usual, and it put Jane immediately at ease. For the moment she forgot her mysterious locket under the warmth of her cousin's smiles and jests. "And have you brought us all this way to boast?" She often teased Richard this way. Having been children together theirs was a relationship as close as any brother and sister could be. "Ah, will Jane take me to task for not mentioning it sooner?" He took her by the hand to pull her ear closer and dropped his voice to a whisper. It is a great mystery, I promise you, and could not be spoken of with safety until this very day. I will explain over supper." Jane covered her heart in mock distress. "I think you'd better! How rude to shock your family by acquiring a castle!" Richard chuckled, but changed the subject. "Your friend is quite lovely. How is it that we've never been introduced?"

Again Richard impressed with the quality of the meal he offered them. "I had no idea my uncle was as successful as all this!" Richard lowered his glass and smiled. "Yes, I did promise to explain, didn't I?" He cast a sideways smile at Jane. "Depend upon Jane to cut right to the heart of things."

"Well, you all know that when my father married my mother she was cast down, deprived of her inheritance and unrecognized by her father, the baronet, for her choice of husband. As my father was a successful solicitor they never lacked for anything, but mother was always hurt by the continued rejection of her family. Of course, even though we had all the necessities of life the wife of a solicitor lacks certain luxuries to which the daughter of a baronet would be accustomed. Her father would not be moved, however, and throughout her life she was never again acknowledged by word or deed.
The time came, however, when he saw that his chance of a son had passed. With three daughters, only one with a son of her own, he knew that his title would pass beyond his lineage forever to the nearest male relative in the direct family line. It was in this state of distress that he learned of me and reached out to my father, my dear mother having been long dead, in order to make amends. I could not be given his title, but I could be given some of his property. The entail was set in such a way that his cousin's son must inherit the property that accompanies his title, but this old place was an acquisition he made quite independently and this he left to me. He also doubled the amount of my mother's inheritance and that, too, he gave to me.
He passed away three years ago and from that time my father and I have lived here. If neither of us has said anything until now it was because we feared, perhaps superstitiously, that some ill fate would rip it from us. Perhaps the cousin would appear and claim it or some other trouble might arise from another quarter. And yet here we are, three years in possession of the old place and not a stirring of dissent."

"How exceptional!" "Marvelous!" "What luck!" All thought it a great thing, but Jane could not now keep her mind from the locket, the meager thing that had been her lot when her uncle and cousin had been blessed so unexpectedly.
"And what is it called?" Jane's smile was not quite genuine, though she did try.
"What is what called?"
"This place, of course. All of these grand places have names."

"Oh," Richard took a sip of wine. The maids were bustling about removing empty plates and glasses. "Billingsly-Ingram Castle. There is a marvelous drawing of the whole place in the library along with some writings on its history. Shall I show you all?"
Oh yes, they said, he must. The library was as vast as must be expected in such a place with high windows that bathed the room in late afternoon sun. As the others wandered about seeing this thing and that Richard took Jane by the arm and pulled her aside. "The place is full of mystery, you know."
"Oh yes?"
"Yes, indeed. I wouldn't want to frighten the others, but I've even heard tales of it being haunted."
"Oh, you have not. What nonsense!"
"No, indeed. In fact, I must insist that you remain in your room after all have retired. I am responsible for your safety so long as you are under my roof, you know."
"How silly you are! You've been reading too many novels, I'm sure!" But he left her with a meaningful look and joined her father to admire the large drawing.

"Jane!" Esther drew up beside her and hissed loudly in her ear, clearly in a state of excitement. "Your cousin is quite handsome, isn't he?"
"I suppose so."
"Well, what do you think?"
"About what?"
"About... what's the matter with you? Billingsly-Ingram Castle?"
"Billingsly-Igram... B.I.C!" Her family all turned sharply at this outburst, but she smiled sheepishly and pretended to be interested in the volume Esther had chosen from her cousin's extensive collection. "B.I.C!" She whispered it this time and Esther nodded eagerly.

When all had retired for the evening Esther slipped into Jane's room. "Come now, let's see it. I know you brought it!" Indeed she had. In fact she had only just stuffed the cumbersome thing beneath the bed linens at the sound of Esther's approach. The little sapphire glimmered in the candlelight and Jane must admit that it, at least, was quite pretty.
"Jane?"
"Hm?"
"Do you know what I think?"
"What do you think?"
"Well, look here at this squiggly engraving. See how at some points the line dips deeper into the locket?"
"Yes."
"Well, what if those are stairs?"
"Yes... yes, I see. Then it's a map."
"I think so!"
"So then the sapphire would be..."
"The treasure at the end!"

Jane wondered if they had all been reading too many novels as she crept downstairs and into the library. Esther had remained behind in an attempt to be a convincing body beneath the linens were a member of her family to come in search of her. She looked at the locket and then at the great drawing in its massive frame upon the wall. She believed - it was the only thing that made sense if the locket were to be taken as a map of the place - that the path etched upon the thing must start at the front door. Carefully she made her way about the large, unfamiliar place, candle in one hand, locket in the other. Up stairs and down stairs she went, and her path seemed to conform exactly to the track laid out upon the locket. Only when she drew near to the point indicated by the sapphire was she brought up short, for here was a fireplace in a seemingly disused room. The furniture was draped in cloth and so much dust lay upon all that only with careful breathing could she keep from sneezing and possibly alerting some household staff to her presence.

Disappointed and frustrated Jane turned and slumped back against the stone of the fireplace. She felt the fireplace move slightly beneath her weight. Surely not...
The fireplace, when pushed, swung about on some invisible hinge and beyond it was a room, quite clean and free of dust. The wallpaper was clearly quite old. It was a brilliant blue that had not been in fashion since her grandmother was a girl, but it certainly explained why a sapphire had been chosen to mark its position. There was nothing in the room, nothing at all, save one tiny writing table in the exact center of the room and its companion chair. To this Jane was drawn and she placed upon it her candle and the locket. Since it was the only thing in the room she could not possibly leave without examining it further, so she opened the little drawer. Inside was a ream of fine paper, a lovely rectangular box, and on top of all was a letter sealed with wax. This she opened and read:

My dearest neice,

Perhaps it is unfair to engage in such intrigues as this, but I thought it both safe and secret, which are two qualities that must be preserved in this endeavor. The desk that stands before you belonged to my dear late wife and I now give it to you with the understanding that you will continue her work. You see, like you she was a writer before all else. It was for this reason, you see, that her family disowned and abandoned her. I was never a burden to her, though of course we must make some excuse for her father's behavior in a way that would not reveal all. Perhaps you will recognize her nom de plume. Have you yet opened the gilded box in the drawer? It contains her pens. She always said that they were magical, that they gave her a power that only a man may openly possess in this world. And yet they are the delicate pens that a lady would use. Even as I write I see her sitting at this desk, her hand flying across the page as her fancy became reality in the writing of it.
While she lived we created an imaginary person, a man, that she might be free to pursue her passion under his name. We created him as a hermit of strange personal habits who never came into town so I must act as his solicitor. This responsibility will be passed to Richard who will act as your shield should you accept this proposal.
There is one other proposal I would make on Richard's behalf. Richard and I have talked often of the matter and we both desire that you should marry him. If you will accept him this room and all that was hers will be yours. All that you have been denied will be given to you. I know that the locket must have been a crushing disappointment and I apologize now for the humbling effect it must have had upon you, though I know you to be a sensible girl; you will understand my meaning, I am sure.
If you mean to accept this proposal leave the letter open upon the desk and take with you the pens, her magical pens. By this sign Richard will know that he may speak to your father. If you refuse place the letter inside the drawer and leave the pens. The choice is yours, of course, but I hoped in this way to enrich your life more than any woman could hope.

Yours in life and death,

John L______
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2013 2:35 PM PDT

Primula Double Wall Glass Mug with Tea Bag Buddy
Primula Double Wall Glass Mug with Tea Bag Buddy
Price: $15.80
2 used & new from $15.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful design, December 1, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The mug is made from a very lightweight glass that is microwave safe and very comfortable to hold and drink from. It is larger than the average mug, allowing for more tea to be brewed at a time, which is fine since it won't get cold. The flexible lid holds in heat while also acting as a bag caddy and bag remover/squeezer. No scalded fingers, no drippy bags on the counter, no wet tags. This mug was designed by a tea drinker for sure. They thought of everything with this one! I see they also make an iced tea pitcher. Think I may have to have one of those as well!

2XL 2X-003W Groove Hanger Bud Wrecking Ball Headphones (Black,Green) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't understand the negatives here, November 14, 2011
After finding a pair of these on a clearance rack at a drug store I was very very happy. I have very small ears and it has been impossible to find a pair of headphones that fit me at all. I guess the poor fellow who hated them so much must have larger ears than mine and a very discriminating taste in sound quality. I usually listen on my computer while working, so luckily I have the option of adjusting the output. Long story short - I was sooo happy with them.

Unfortunately my cat chewed right through the cord. I was so upset! Tried several different brands (some high profile brands, too) with no results at all. I'd describe the sound difference, but alas none of the others will fit into my ear or around it long enough to make an assessment. I have combed the web to find a few different pairs of these so I always have a backup pair. Lunatic cat...

Pray
Pray
by John Prescott
3 used & new from $64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb storyteller, November 12, 2011
This review is from: Pray (Paperback)
Mr. Prescott is a superb storyteller with a wonderful grasp of what horror should be. His understanding of the darkness in the human soul makes this a thrilling read.

Hookers or Cake
Hookers or Cake
by Jade Bos
13 used & new from $10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars An historical triumph!, July 14, 2011
This review is from: Hookers or Cake (Paperback)
We all know of Patrick Henry's famous quote, "Give me liberty or give me death!" But not so well known was his cousin, Henry Patrick, who belonged to Overeaters Anonymous and subscribed to the belief that it is easier to ween oneself off one addiction by turning to another as a distraction. Appalled by OA's refusal to consider his theory as part of an alternate program he stood and gave a rousing speech to his fellow OA attendees, a speech that concluded with the more obscure line (some say his cousin would later borrow it to coin his own) "Give me hookers or give me cake!"

The only way this book could be more patriotic would be to mention Rush Limbaugh - and it does!

Base Brands 10-Ounce Reduce WaterWeek Bottle, Set of 5
Base Brands 10-Ounce Reduce WaterWeek Bottle, Set of 5

2.0 out of 5 stars Good bottles, but not for kids' lunchbox..., August 25, 2009
I agree with the review that states there is no plastic taste or smell. They are fairly good bottles for using around the house, but I would not use them in a lunchbox, as advertised, because they are quite leaky. The first time my daughter used one she lost half her juice and had a big mess to clean up because her lunchbox fell over on its side in her locker.

Coraline (Single-Disc Edition)[Anaglyph 3D]
Coraline (Single-Disc Edition)[Anaglyph 3D]
DVD ~ Dakota Fanning
101 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully frightening, June 4, 2009
Coraline is the tale of a young girl who isn't entirely happy with her home life. But after slipping through a secret door into another world much like her own she can't wait to get home again. Unfortunately her "other" mother isn't about to let that happen without a fight. Why does this "other" mother want Coraline so badly? For company? For dinner???

The plot isn't at all thin - it's a very effective adaptation of Neil Gaiman's novel, altered slightly for a more entertaining ride on the big screen. Henry Selick turns Neil Gaiman's fascinating novel into an incredible and creepy world full of odd characters. Neil Gaiman is this century's Hans Christian Andersen, creating new and fantastic ways to entertain children, and make parents want to revisit the shadowy world of fairy tales. My daughter has waited anxiously for the release of the dvd, but we may wait for a more elaborate release - want to make sure we get the 3D that made this one such a thrill in the theater!

Avatar: The Last Airbender-Into the Inferno - Nintendo DS
Avatar: The Last Airbender-Into the Inferno - Nintendo DS
Offered by Atomic Gaming
Price: $49.95
15 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent playing experience, April 25, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this for my daughter as a holiday present. Having been an Atari/Nintendo kid myself, and a gamer for life, I am used to games based on movies or TV series being somewhere between slightly and extremely lame. I am really glad to see that someone somewhere has started a new trend - making actual, playable, enjoyable games that are fantastic independent of the show or movie they're based upon. Into the Inferno is an excellent example of this new trend.

In this game you fight through the plot of the show, from the beginning of Book 3, episode 1 to Aang's final showdown with the Firelord. The main activity of the game is puzzle-solving using the various bending styles from the show - moving the characters through various areas to advance the plot. When I say puzzles I mean puzzles based on bending. For example: you are moving through caverns with Toph and Aang. You come to a large rock in your path, and slightly beyond it another large rock. With Toph you can gather rocks to get you over the first one, but there is nothing to climb onto to get over the second one. You will use Toph's earthbending to get onto the first and Aang's wind blast to blow both of them to the next rock. You will have played as all of the main characters by the end of the game. You usually play in pairs, like Toph & Aang, Aang & Katara, Zuko & Sokka, Zuko & Aang, etc. Each level has you solving puzzles to make your way to the end goal of the level, usually a prominent bad guy from the show. To defeat the bad guy you need to figure out what the trick is - how to combine the abilities of the two characters at your disposal to achieve the effect that will beat down your opponent. As you move through the different levels of the game Aang gains new bending styles, like in the show, and you learn to use them in combination with your other abilities and characters. Eventually you will face Ozai and use everything you have learned to defeat him. There are fun cut scenes between each level that advance the story, too.

I have loved playing this with my daughter. It is tons of fun, and I really enjoy using the bending styles from the show. The design is very well done. Actually I came here to buy one for myself - just thought I'd give my 2˘ first. ^_^
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2013 4:39 AM PST

The Little Bitty Snake = Chisana Chisana Hebi (English/Japanese Edition)
The Little Bitty Snake = Chisana Chisana Hebi (English/Japanese Edition)
by Jorma Rodieck
15 used & new from $4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for kids interested in learning Japanese, February 20, 2009
Ok, so obviously it's a children's book. I mean, aside from the fact that it's listed in the children's book section, the illustrations you can see right on the cover are an indication that this book is intended for very young readers. For its intended audience it is really great. My daughter (6 when we bought this book) is at the beginner's stage. She knows a little spoken Japanese and is working on her first steps into reading and writing kana. The great thing is that the story is written in english, romaji, and kana, all on the same page together. So no matter where you are focusing your efforts (written or spoken) you have the translation into and out of all three right there. It's very nicely done. I wish there were more like it available! A wonderful book for the young language student, and an addition to our library that I am glad we made.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5