Profile for Wise Owl > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 41

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Wise Owl RSS Feed (North Carolina)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Assassin's Creed Unity - PlayStation 4
Assassin's Creed Unity - PlayStation 4
Price: $29.99
123 used & new from $24.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun While is Lasted, November 11, 2014
Update: So I haven't used the companion app and I beat the game without any more framerate issues, but I am not going to give any stars back because of a few reasons. One, because the story never took off, it was just an average sometimes boring story and for being set during the french revolution, I never felt like I was even a part of it. Two I am extremely frustrated that I cannot have access to about 75% of the Legendary armor. Not only do you have to pay lots of florins for these (which would be fine except) you have to unlock them by winning club competitions. Basically you create or join a club and that club competes with five other clubs and the one that wins gets an exclusive reward (one of the legendary armors, most likely random). This means you can't finalize your assassin with the armor that suits your playstyle. France is really not that big as I originally thought. It is maybe about the size of the Rome map. Anyway this game is fun and challenging on the harder missions(just make sure you always take out the snipers first), but I just find myself tiring of this game. Luckly there isn't a review embargo on Far Cry 4 so we can find out if at least Ubisoft can manage to make that game good. Don't get me wrong this game is fun, but I wouldn't pay full price for it and I find myself looking forward to next weeks releases for true greatness. I have high hopes for Ubisoft's Far Cry 4, but this one was a bit of letdown. I would place it in the same category as the first AC and AC3. Black Flag and the Ezio trilogy were far better.

Edit: I'm taking two stars off and I would like to apologize to the one and two star reviewers for calling them liers about the framerate problems because now after playing the game for ten hours I have finally encountered framerate issues myself and they aren't kidding this game becomes unplayable. I guess I just got lucky and was able to play it without problems for a good while. If the problem persists though and Ubisoft doesn't patch it soon I will deduct more stars, but there is no way they would leave it like this. I did notice that the framerate issues occurred almost instantly after I linked the companion app... I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Original Review:
1. The Graphics - Oh man this game is beautiful! The fabric on one of Arno's many outfits looks as real as the leather on my couch. I am constantly stopping to admire everything I see because stuff is just so detailed and many times some of these buildings or streets look so good I could swear I was looking at a photograph. Now the graphics are not always this good. The faces and hair are about the only weak point that these graphics have when compared to the ultra detailed clothes they wear, but most of the time this game really looks wonderful.

2. The France - This game is big, really big. It does feel like it was scaled 1:1 with the real Paris and not only are the buildings highly realistic for that time period, but they are also super detailed inside and out. That's right, a lot of the buildings can finally be entered and there are so many things constantly going on it truly feels like a living breathing France. I have only seen maybe a third of the overall France. Oh, and there is no sea exploration (that I know of). It's disappointing for me as I loved it in Black Flags.

3.The Gameplay - This is by far the biggest area of improvement. Free running takes as big a leap forward as AC3 did for the series. It is not always automatic as you decide when to parkour up and parkour down depending on the button and if you don't press either one then he just runs into things or won't jump off the building. This is the first time I have been able to quickly get down from somewhere without killing myself or destroying all of my health or doing so accidentally. I can also climb up some buildings diagonally now and this makes for such a better climbing experience. And the moves Arno makes when ascending or descending differ all the time. To jump down one time he might just simply hop down or another time he might jump onto another nearby wall and then backflip off of it onto the ground. Combat is perfect. The enemies are varied where some can be easily killed and others it can become a great one on one fight or a fight for your survival where your best chance is to run away. No longer can you dispatch an entire garrison of guards with the simple repetitive counter kill move. If you decide to fight a large number of enemies you will most likely die unless you have the right gear.

4.The Customization - Finally I can make my assassin look like how I want him to and I can pick different combinations to fit my play style. Right now I am going for the low health but super fast stealthy approach and when I switch back and forth between that and a high health with slow powerful weapons I can notice a big difference in how close I can get without being seen and how often a large group will flock to me after the bodies start dropping. With the stealthy gear a big group is difficult to beat, but less likely to occur whereas the loud but powerful gear will attract a lot of attention, but I can slaughter them with ease. My only complaint with the customization are the color options. I hope they will have some more later on because these color options suck and there are only 21 choices. I think they should add a way to pick each individual color instead a pre-chosen set of three.

5.The Story - I have heard people say this game has a weak story and I am only on sequence 6, but so far the story is better than AC3, but not as good as the Ezio trilogy. It's about on par with Black Flag for me which I enjoyed. Again I don't know if the ending will suck or it becomes lame, but so far it is good. Arno is easily a likeable character and probably my 3rd favorite right now. The whole french revolution is very interesting and to me it is always cool seeing historical figures in my game just like in previous creed games.

6. The Missions - It's mostly the same as previous games. If you are tired of that then you may not care for this game. I am not tired of it keep them coming! Side missions are great fun and I haven't done any co-op, but I did complete a co-op side mission by myself that provided a stupendously fun challenge that I enjoyed as much as if it where a good single player story mission. And I think I counted around ten (give or take a few) co-op missions like that.

7. The Multiplayer - This is the only part I can't really comment on as I mostly play for the single player aspect. Looks like it would work really well and be quite fun though if you know some people with headsets to communicate and form a strategy with.

All in all this is certainly not a terrible and broken game as some would have you believe. In fact, I give it 4 1/2 stars (5 on here to try and negate the one stars) because while it is not perfection or better than the Ezio trilogy, it is an awesome and incredibly fun game that I believe takes a solid step in the right direction for one of my favorite game series. If you don't like Assassin's Creed games then you won't like this one. I have played them all and I would say this one is on par with Black Flag in terms of enjoyment with a lot of improvements over that game.

SoundBot® SB510 HD Water Resistant Bluetooth 3.0 Shower Speaker, Handsfree Portable Speakerphone with Built-in Mic, 6hrs of playtime, Control Buttons and Dedicated Suction Cup for Showers, Bathroom, Pool, Boat, Car, Beach, & Outdoor Use, White
2 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An Almost Concert in My Shower, September 3, 2014
Many people probably think the ten to twenty minutes they spend in the shower is not enough time for them to worry about starting their day off right with some motivational shower tunes. There is nothing like "singing" along to Eye of The Tiger or We are The Champions to get you pumped up and ready for the day. Or if you're more of a classical music motivator that comes through just fine on this speaker as well.
Main Points

1. Good enough sound for the price. It has a little bass, mids are above average, and the highs are a little harsh but overall sounds good. The speaker is aimed at the shower wall and it's a mono speaker playing stereo sound.
2. The suction cup really sticks! If you put it on right that sucker is not coming off.
3. It has a great battery life. I usually take about a fifteen minute shower and it lasted me about thirty showers so great battery life. Now the only concern I have with this speaker is the insanely small and flimsy charging port. I'm afraid it is going to snap one of these times that I charge the thing. It charged just fine and remained intact, but I will update in the future if it ever breaks. I think they would have been better off with a micro usb charging point.
4. The connectivity works flawlessly. I connect my iPod Touch via Bluetooth in another room and I can control everything from inside the shower which is very important if you don't want to get your device wet. It has play/pause and forward/back buttons(also the volume up/down buttons by holding them down). To power on the device you just hold it down for three seconds and to power off you will hear two sounds, the second sound after 5 seconds means it is off.
5. Yes you can also take calls in the shower (why you would want to unless it's a girlfriend/boyfriend I wouldn't understand).

Overall it's a cheap, reliable, decent sounding speaker that can suction cup anywhere in the shower (maybe even on you if you wanna go crazy) and for the short amount of time you are in there you will wonder why you never put one in there before. If you want to spend more money or have a big enough shower with room to place the Photive Hydra then I would recommend that speaker. It is the waterproof brother of the Photive Cyren which sounds fantastic. Otherwise this cheap loudspeaker will provide you with exactly what you need to start your day off right.

Logitech K360 Wireless Keyboard - Coral Fan
Logitech K360 Wireless Keyboard - Coral Fan
Offered by zephyrrsu
Price: $34.50
27 used & new from $11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Typed Courtesy of this Keyboard, August 15, 2014
That's right every single letter and word on this review was created by this keyboard. There is absolutely nothing I dislike about this keyboard so I am just going to tell you everything I like about it.
Amazing battery life- I leave it turned on 24/7 and so far after a year and a few months I still haven't changed the batteries.
Small- I like relaxing with this keyboard so being smaller and lighter than the average keyboard is very nice. Good button size.
Long Distance- I can sit all the way across the room and type stuff up (like important documents)
Art- It is sleek and has a nifty design
Functional Buttons- On top it has the media play/pause and next/back along with volume up/down/mute. All of which I use frequently.
Cap Lock Light- May not seem like much, but my last keyboard didn't have that light and it was super annoying.
Quiet- Some keyboards are noisy. Not this one.
Lastly it works with the same receiver as my favorite Logitech mouse the M310

BlueRigger High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet 6.6 Feet (2m) - Supports 3D and Audio Return [Latest Version]
Offered by BlueRigger
Price: $14.95
6 used & new from $5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture and Sound 3 for 3, August 15, 2014
Well I have 3 of these wonderfully cheap HDMI cables and they all work exactly as they should. What more can a person ask for. I have been using them for about 6 months with no problems. If any of them stop working I will update this review.

AmazonBasics 16-Gauge Speaker Wire - 50 Feet
AmazonBasics 16-Gauge Speaker Wire - 50 Feet
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Speaker Wire (I can't think of a fancy title for this review), August 15, 2014
I used it to hook up my surround sound system and everything works and sounds wonderful. This is a great price to get exactly what I needed out of it with no issues whatsoever.

Hershey's Nuggets Chocolate Assortment, 38.5-Ounce Bag
Hershey's Nuggets Chocolate Assortment, 38.5-Ounce Bag
Price: $9.71
22 used & new from $5.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Dear Hershey, Thank You, August 15, 2014
They arrived on a hot summer day a little melty. Just meant I had to lick my fingers off as these are indeed finger licking delicious! The Almond and Dark Chocolate with Almonds are my favorite. The toffy is just okay and the classic milk chocolate is still a classic. I am not ashamed to say I got this party bag for a one man party. They are perfectly sized to stick one in the mouth and slowly suck on until the chocolate overwhelms you with it's melty goodness that covers every inch of your mouth with chocolate. Don't smile at anyway or they will know you have chocolate and ask you to share some and nobody wants to share chocolate no matter how good looking the other person may be.

Bear Naked Soft Baked Granola Cookies, Double Chocolate, 8.5-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars CHOCOLATE!!!, August 15, 2014
So much chocolaty goodness it just makes me melt into a state of chocolate bliss. Not enough cookies in a box even if they are on the larger side. Just never enough chocolate. Excuse me while I go sacrifice one of these cookies to the chocolate god (he lives in my stomach).

DB Link Double Shielded Competition Series CLY2MZ 2 Male To 1 Female RCA Y Adapter
Offered by Googol Shop
Price: $3.89
34 used & new from $0.71

5.0 out of 5 stars LFE Adapter, August 15, 2014
Used to make LFE in on my Subwoofer. Works flawlessly.

BitFenix BFF-BLF-12025B-RP Spectre 120mm LED Case Fan, Blue
BitFenix BFF-BLF-12025B-RP Spectre 120mm LED Case Fan, Blue
Price: $11.93
14 used & new from $8.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Whooshhhhh, August 15, 2014
Pushes a good amount of air and is super quiet. If you are looking for a quiet fan this is what you want for your PC as my PC's noise became almost non-existent after installing these. The LEDs are a little brighter than other LED fans I have used, but it gives off a nice blue light.

Gerber 31-000699 Bear Grylls Survival Series Fire Starter
Gerber 31-000699 Bear Grylls Survival Series Fire Starter
Price: $9.99
187 used & new from $9.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Me Man Make Fire, August 15, 2014
This fire starter is great. It is a little large if you want to carry it around in your pocket, but in a backpack, survival kit, car, or purse(ladies) it fits in perfectly. The main thing I enjoy about this product is knowing as long as I have it on me, were I to be thrust in a survival situation I would at least be able to successfully make fire. I went camping in the mountains recently and tested it out on a couple campfires. The first fire I had some cotton wipes and tearing them up to use as tender I was able to light my tinder on the first strike after removing some of the black covering. This thing lets off some impressive sparks which get hot and stay that way long enough to light the tinder. The second fire I used some more natural tinder and it took a couple extra strikes, but I got the fire lit. The whistle works decent and will annoy anyone who doesn't like a whistle alarm clock. My only complaint is that I can't whistle while lighting the fire.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5