Profile for Michael G. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael G. "pigpen81" RSS Feed (San Diego)

Zumba Fitness Core - Nintendo Wii
Zumba Fitness Core - Nintendo Wii
Price: Click here to see our price
48 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Zumba Joyously Returns with a Focus on Your Core, October 16, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Note: I purchased Zumba Core for use with my middle school physical education classes. We use a ceiling projector so everyone (as many as 46) can follow along.

The 3rd Zumba in the last three years follows right along with the first two with some improvements. The workout program now has 40 tracks covering many styles of dance.

For my classes today, I set up a custom workout with 8 songs that took around 35 minutes:

1. Sugar Plum fairy (Warm-up) - Terrific rendition of the famous nutcracker song that threw in lots of ballet. My students were surprised at first, but actually loved it. Great choreography!

2. Vamos a La Pista - Excellent latin style dance with good choreopgraphy.

3. Kazachok in Habana - A russian style dance with a little salsa mixed in. Again, students were surprised with it, but with lots of clapping, they liked it.

4. Roll Wid Di Don - Raggaeton style from the artist who sung Temperature. My students liked this one as well.

5. La Bomba - Latin style, good choreography with excellent core moves.

6. Quiebra - TERRIFIC song and probably the most intense cardio and core workout in Zumba history. This one will make you sweat!

7. Nyana - Electronic music that has easy to follow aerobic style moves. Well liked but most suited as a warm-up.

8. Jammin (cool down) - My students absolutely LOVED cooling down to Bob Marley's Jammin. Lots of stretches!

Some minor complaints:

1. I miss the first Zumba where the dancers were in "shadow form" It makes me a tad uncomfortable with some of the Zumba dancers from 2 and 3 wearing bikini tops. I like the tank tops much better.

2. A few routines I scanned before my first class had a lot of hip gyrations. Won't play those with middle school students :)

My students earned badges after completing the workouts but I am not sure what they do besides unlocking videos.

I really like the custom workouts...wish Just Dance 4 had that feature.

There are a terrific amount of variety of styles from belly dances, bollywood, an Arabian dance and also the song "Jump, Jive and Wail and Dancing with Myself (cover of Billy idol)

There are also a few warm-up and cool down songs.

Great job Zumba and Majesco. You have made another terrific workout program!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2013 5:32 PM PDT

Just Dance 4 - Nintendo Wii
Just Dance 4 - Nintendo Wii
Offered by Retro Games 4 U
Price: $18.00
100 used & new from $12.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow....the best in the Just Dance series yet, October 9, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Note: I only play Just Dance 4 with my middle school physical education classes. 4 play and the rest follow along as we use a ceiling projector.

Today I had 5 classes play Just Dance 4 for the first time. We played the "Just Sweat" mode using the 25 minute option using the cardio-boxing style workout.

It was TERRIFIC!

It started with a 2 minute warm-up to a gentleman that sounded like the karate instructor from Exerbeat. My students were all engaged with the various movements.

After the warm-up, the game would randomly pick a song. They were all fantastic but the student's faves were Skrillex (off the charts choreography), Mr. Saxobeat, Good Feeling, Moves Like Jagger and the J-Lo song.

After each song, another 2 minute program with cardio boxing, kickboxing and other aerobic style movements were done, all engaging. The actual program usually took 28 minutes with around 5 songs interspersed between the workouts. It even ended with a 2 minute cool down with good stretches. Ubisoft could make a separate game just using the workout segments, it is that good.

Between the 5 classes, we made it to Level 9 and unlocked various goodies such as a song (Umbrella), new avatars, game modes, 60's just sweat workout, etc.

I wish I could post a short video I took of my 38 sixth graders singing loudly and dancing to "Good Feeling", it was awesome!

A couple of classes also performed the quartet of "Instanbul" and many already loved it because our social studies teacher plays that song when they study ancient civilizations. To cool......and a great follow up to last years fav, "Night Boat to Cairo"

Great job Ubisoft!!!!!!!!

Small nitpick, I wish I could make a custom playlist for the just sweat workouts.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2013 2:50 PM PDT

7 Folds of Winter: A YA+ Epic Fantasy Adventure (The Mad God Series)
7 Folds of Winter: A YA+ Epic Fantasy Adventure (The Mad God Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Epic Fantasy!, August 14, 2012
Wow! 7 Folds of Winter is a fantastic read full of action, adventure and mystery. All the individual stories were integrated so well. This is in my Top 3 of Epic Fantasy for the kindle. Besides a few grammatical errors, major kudos to the author!

The Sentient Fire (The Seven Signs)
The Sentient Fire (The Seven Signs)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sentient Fire is a Terrififc Read, May 28, 2012
While a long book, I was thoroughly entranced in the world created by D.W. Hawkins. Dormael and Djenn are two fantastic heroes that are good people trying to do what is right. The villains are also well done. I wished them dead for their atrocities as soon as possible.

I look forward to the sequel. If you like fantasy in the vain of The Belgariad or the Wheel of Time series, then this is a must read

Scriber
Scriber
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Scribers is an amazing journey no one should miss!, May 20, 2012
This review is from: Scriber (Kindle Edition)
Ben Dobsen, you made a 40 year old man cry. What a terrific story you crafted. The characters were well developed and your words described a wonderful picture in my mind. You also created the best heroine I have ever had the pleasure to read. No fan of fantasy novels should miss this story. One of the best I have ever read. Thank you!!!

Zumba Fitness 2 - Nintendo Wii
Zumba Fitness 2 - Nintendo Wii
Price: $28.18
69 used & new from $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Terrific Sequel That Makes You Sweat, November 15, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Myself and my middle school students used the original Zumba on the Kinect often for a good and fun workout. ( We have a ceiling projector and sound system hooked up to a Wii and Kinect so the whole class can follow along in their own space)

I am happy to say the sequel adds much to its predecessor.

The progress tracker is a huge improvement. My class could see they burned 230 calories after a 7 song set.

The custom playlist is my favorite addition. Being able to select the songs we want to exercise to is a huge benefit.

We only danced to 8 of the 32 songs but some were a huge hit with my students, especially the hip/hop and electronic tracks.

My only complaint and why I have left a star off is the attire of the dancers. I much preferred the original Kinect version in which the dancers were superimposed. The dancers on the new version show way to much skin and it makes me a little uncomfortable. I wish we could "clothe" the dancers :)

My middle schoolers were all smiles after doing a 7 song custom workout today. Many said how much they liked the choreography and the moves.

This is a terrific addition to the Wii workout library.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2011 3:16 AM PST

CoachDeck - Soccer Drills
CoachDeck - Soccer Drills
Offered by CoachDeck
Price: $19.95
2 used & new from $19.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Practice Drills - Case lacking., July 12, 2011
This review is from: CoachDeck - Soccer Drills (Misc.)
You will not be disappointed with the drills in the set. Very good quality and most of them are easy to set up and use.

The cards come in a cardboard holder, exactly like a deck of playing cards.

With the cost being $5 more the Fitdeck, and Fitdeck coming in a durable, plastic case, I feel Coachdeck is letting us down.

The case provided will get thrashed in my coaches bag.

Fit in Six - Nintendo Wii
Fit in Six - Nintendo Wii
Offered by Maximin
Price: $33.95
22 used & new from $10.48

4.0 out of 5 stars The most complete and intense workout on the Wii, April 9, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I have tried almost every exergaming program on the Wii and while Fit in Six isn't a game per se....it is a tremendous workout program.

I also believe there isn't a more comprehensive workout program. There are six main components of fitness but there are a vast amount of workout options that accompany the six.

99 different workouts varying from cardio dance, abs, upper arms, back sculpting, kickboxing, power punching, latin dance, fit for life, etc. etc. etc.

I am in decent shape and some of the workouts kicked my a**. If you are a beginner, don't sweat it as many workouts are geared to help you get started. The intensity of each workout is displayed in a "1", "2" and "3" for each of the 6 components of fitness.

I took off 1 star because I cannot find how many calories are expended in each workout. I wish this would have been included.

As far as the camera, it is not necessary in the least as all it does is give yourself visual feedback.

For those that like My Fitness Coach, EA Active, Gold's Gym Cardio and Golds Gym Dance, this program is a no brainer.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2012 11:43 AM PDT

Zumba Fitness - Kinect - Xbox 360
Zumba Fitness - Kinect - Xbox 360
Offered by Ocean Reef Electronics
Price: $13.50
96 used & new from $7.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Fun!, November 19, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
We purchased Zumba Fitness for my middle school's physical education Kinect. We have a ceiling projector/sound system and 40+ Geo-fitness mats for our students to have their own space. Today I was able to have my classes workout with Zumba Fitness.

We selected the 20 minute Zumba Fitness beginner class. (beginner level on profile)

I have to say that it is awesome. My students LOVED it.

As a game....it does not hold a candle to Dance Central (which we also have)....but as a fitness tool, it is exceptional. We have one student on the camera and the rest of our students following along behind.

The menu is a little clunky and I wish the sign in process was much smoother....but again....as a fitness program....it is terrific.

One other thing I really like about it is the appropriate dress for the onscreen characters....rather then the flimsy clothes of the woman on the cover and by almost all of the woman on workout DVD's. Very appropriate for school age children.

If you don't look at it as a game...but as a fitness tool then I think you will be happy.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2010 8:52 AM PST

Maximum Middle School Physical Education
Maximum Middle School Physical Education
by Mary Hirt
Price: $32.30
52 used & new from $8.74

5.0 out of 5 stars A Physical Education Masterpiece, June 26, 2008
I have collected over 60 books in my career as a physical educator and Maximum Physical Education is easily in my top 2 of all time. (John Hichwa's "Right Fielders are People Too" would be the other)

This book has given me a plethora of ideas and resources that I immediately implemented in my 8th grade physical education class.

Don't be alarmed if you are not a middle school physical education teacher. Most, if not all the acitivities, can be easily done and enjoyed by the 3-6 elementary students. I would also highly recommend this book to any recreation or summer program in need of fresh and exciting activity ideas.

The activities are well written, concise, easy to implement, and most of all, involve an huge amount of active FUN.

Beyond the acitivities, you will find strategies that will allow your students to get the most out of their physical education class.

MOOMBA!