Profile for Laurie Bostwick > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 49

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Laurie Bostwick RSS Feed (TN)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Figure It Out! Human Proportions: Draw the Head and Figure Right Every Time (Christopher Hart Figure It Out!)
by Christopher Hart
Price: $12.90
55 used & new from $11.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Helpful!, October 9, 2014
This is another great book by Christopher Hart! I cannot express how helpful this book, as well as his others, have been to me. This book doesn't just show you picture of how to do it. It explains why. He doesn't go over your head in description, but rather makes it easy enough for anyone to understand. He shows everything from why the head is shaped the way it is and how to draw it, to drawing people in different poses.
Every time I look at this book, my drawings are better and better. They don't just give you references to look at. It gives you lasting knowledge of how and why to draw it the correct way. I know more now from reading this book than I've learned from a year of studying anatomy and using references.
I cannot recommend this book enough! If you are looking to buy this, I would also suggest purchasing Figure It Out!, the first edition. It's a GREAT overview of the human body and how to break it up when drawing!

My Beloved and My Friend: How To Be Married To Your Best Friend Without Changing Spouses
by Melanie Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Married? Planning to be? Get this book!, February 25, 2014
I've been married for 23+ years and consider our marriage to be quite strong. Reading this book has only served to reinforce what we know to be true. It IS possible to be married to your best friend.

There is a lot of "meat" in this book. I highly recommend it!

Growing Your Blog While Managing Your Home | The Ultimate Guide For Christian Mommy Bloggers
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thinking about blogging? Get this book!, January 14, 2014
If you want to do something well, you should learn from the best, right? Well, an e-book authored on growing your blog written by a woman who makes a 5 figure salary through blogging would be the best, in my opinion! Not only is she a blogger, she's a wife, Mama, and Christian. All of those roles are important and none should be ignored for the other.

With a gentle but solid teaching method, Jacinda gives step by step instructions on how to actually be profitable in this blogging thing, but only after helping you sort out your priorities.

LOVE this one!

FaithLeaps: The Christian Mom's Guide to Starting a Virtual Assistant Business
FaithLeaps: The Christian Mom's Guide to Starting a Virtual Assistant Business
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book on getting started with your virtual assistant business!, December 6, 2013
Recently, I've delved into the world of Virtual Assisting. The first question I had was "How do I charge for my services?" Thankfully, the person I was VA'ing for was an honest person and shared what she had been paying her previous VA. She paid me a good wage. It was a great introduction to being a VA.

I see the huge potential in this VA world. It can be intimidating to know how to get started, where to find work, how much to charge, how to maintain a balance between real life and online work, and keeping it all going. Alyssa takes you step by step through her own navigation of these waters.

There are links scattered throughout to check out and add to your learning. Alyssa is very transparent, a quality I truly appreciate. She shares what has worked for her and what has not. This is a not a how-to book simply filled with fluff, there is much "meat" to this book.

From finding your own niche, to setting office hours, to budgeting, to time management; it's all covered in this book!

Alyssa's heart is for helping others. That is apparent in every chapter. She has an easy-to-read writing style. There is much information packed into this book.

My Horse
My Horse
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing game!, September 3, 2013
This review is from: My Horse (App)
So realistic and fun! If you can't have a horse, this is a great option! From feeding and grooming to racing and training, this is sure to satisfy your horse care craving! I definitely recommend this game to everyone. And with Amazon's awesomely cheap price, it's so easy to play. I will definitely continue playing this game, and I hope you do to!

Pinteresting - Pinterest Strategies for Brands and Bloggers
Pinteresting - Pinterest Strategies for Brands and Bloggers
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Pinterest? Curious about Pinterest? GET THIS BOOK!, April 28, 2013
Like most folks, I didn't get the whole Pinterest "thing" for some time. Once I finally "got it", I was hooked. I love the platform and ability to organize so easily. I used Pinterest to organize my bookmarked items, keep a record of things I'd like to try, and other such things. I only used it for personal use.

Then I read Pinteresting. I now see the incredible boost Pinterest can be to my blogging and websites. I have gone from thinking it was a neat idea for organization to just scratching the surface for it what it can do for me professionally.

Tabitha writes in a very easy to read style that I really appreciate. While it's not a huge book, it's chock-full of tips and information, so plan to take your time reading it. I did a quick read first, and am now reading it again at a slower pace. I'm taking notes as I go. I firmly believe the the information Tabitha shares in this gem of a book will further my goals in business.

I can't believe she's offering all of this information for such a low price. Truly, it is MORE than worth the tiny amount you'll invest in purchasing it. Get this book!

Everyday Matters Bible for Women: New Living Translation, Practical Encouragement to Make Every Day Matter
by LLC Hendrickson Publishers Marketing
Price: $23.98
64 used & new from $20.95

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this Bible!, February 7, 2013
I've been looking at new Bibles for awhile now. I wanted something geared to me, as a woman, a wife, and a Mama. Most that I had looked at neglected at least one facet of my life. Or, they were flimsy-looking. Or, they were paperback and I don't care for paperback Bibles. I just couldn't find "THE" Bible for me.

I'm also new to the NLT version of the Bible as I've always been a KJV kinda gal. I shied away from any other translation because I wasn't sure of them.

Well, let me tell you about the Everyday Matters for Women Bible that I now have in my hot little hands!

I have to say that I have heard of the "spiritual practices" that one should keep, but had never really studied them. I also did not realize that there were 24 of them! This one aspect of this Bible stood out to me the greatest. Each one has its own icon to follow and see the theme of the article. There are over 300 articles written by 140 different well-known Christian writers that are shared in 4 different ways:

Everyday Matters two-page articles emphasize a particular topic from the scripture passage or spiritual practice.
Everyday Profiles highlight stories about 25 key women in the Bible.
Everyday Reflections focus on practical application of God's Word in daily life. (my favorite part!)
Everyday Questions and Answers covers some of the most important questions of faith.

Here are just a few of the 24 spiritual practices covered:

Simplicity
Stewardship
Submission
Worship

It's color-coded throughout. Better than that, it just draws you in. As a woman, I'm drawn to pretty things. This Bible is definitely a pretty thing. But, it's not just skin deep. The "meat" of this Bible keeps you lingering awhile longer. I like to use this Bible as both a pleasure reading Bible and a study Bible. I sometimes will read just the articles from others, which leads me to another section, and on and on. Or I will hone in on one subject and can stay right there learning.

The only three changes I would make to this Bible is to make the book titles in a darker color to make seeing them easier, make the pages a bit thicker so that I can highlight and write in the margins, and maybe have it be in KJV (sorry, I feel more comfortable with what I know!)

**As a member of the CWA Review Team, I was given a copy of the Everyday Matters for Women Bible for free in exchange for my honest opinion**

Helping Hands at Home
Helping Hands at Home
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great e-book and can't beat the price!, January 31, 2013
My children are a bit older, so the information contained in this e-book didn't completely hit home for me. However, that's just because as I said, my children are all over the age of 10. They have been doing chores for many years. We have a pretty good system down.

But! As usual, Lorrie gives great practical advice. She reminds us that it is necessary for us to actually TEACH our children HOW to clean. I love that she focused a great deal of attention on completely cleaning the kitchen and bathroom. I don't know about you, but those are two rooms that are cleaned DAILY around here!

There are lists included that are simple to follow. But, I think what I liked best of all was the encouragement for Mamas. I think that's what Lorrie does best. She's an awesome exhorter!

And, please, for only $.99, you can't beat the price of this little beauty! Get it for yourself as a refresher, gift it to a new Mama, or gift it to a friend who is struggling. You won't be sorry you did!

Ichoose2 Love My Life
Ichoose2 Love My Life
by Kelly Thorne Gore
Price: $14.97
41 used & new from $0.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book to begin your new year!, January 3, 2013
This review is from: Ichoose2 Love My Life (Paperback)
I choose.
Two little words. But, think of the impact they have.
What are you choosing?

This book has 52 chapters, one per week, each filled with encouragement and a challenge. Following the book for a year will dramatically improve your life. Choices such as iChoose2 be content, iChoose2 be authentic, iChoose2 take a risk. On and on. Great stuff. And easily done.

You will not regret getting this book and putting the information contained within its pages into action!

Yelling:  The Cause, The Casualty, The Cure
Yelling: The Cause, The Casualty, The Cure
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A parenting must-have!, July 21, 2012
Yelling.

Just the word sounds horrible, doesn't it? Yelling implies harsh words delivered in a harsh manner.
Mrs. Lorrie Flem has such a gentle way of holding your hand and talking to you through her written words....talking to you as a concerned friend. She pulls no punches and does not sugar-coat the truth.

She also is sure to include Biblical references for what she "preaches". It's always right on. Yelling: The Cause, The Casualty, and the Cure is no different. Like a concerned friend who has been there, Mrs. Flem gives you gentle advice to stop the yelling. I don't think any of us wants to yell at our children. I know I sure don't. But, it happens. Sometimes more than we care to admit. So, how do you make it stop???

This e-book is an absolute treasure. It's filled with helpful ideas, ways to head off the triggers of yelling, Scriptures to encourage you not to yell, as well as "from the trenches" advice. I have read many parenting books over the years. This particular one needs to be on every shelf in America. It's far too easy to resort to yelling to get your point across to your child. But, that doesn't really get the point you want to make across. It sends the wrong message and causes a rift between you and your child and does not get done what you originally set out to do. Yes, it steps on your toes. But, that's the point. If you weren't guilty of the yelling, it wouldn't bother you, now would it??

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you," Ephesians 4:29-32.

There is a nice, simple printable list at the end of the e-book to use as a reminder. I have it printed and hanging in two places in my home.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5