Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Profile for P. B. Sharp > Reviews

Browse

P. B. Sharp's Profile

Customer Reviews: 676

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

P. B. Sharp RSS Feed (NM)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Car Mount, Ipow Universal Cd Slot Magnetic Phone Car Mount Holder Cradle for Any Cellphone with Any Phone Case - Fits Iphone 6 Plus Samsung Galaxy Note Nexus Lg Nokia Moto One plus HTC All Smartphone
Offered by Good Assistant
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars WGW, June 22, 2015
Wow! Why have I not purchased one of these devices before? I have to plead ignorance of their existence. This is a terrific solution for me. I usually laid my phone on the center console where it would frequently slide off and onto the floor, or worse, down the side of the driver's or passenger's seat. This device also allows me to use my phone in a hands-free mode. I merely activate the on-phone speaker.

The unit comes disassembled to the level of its major components. It's very easy to assemble and seems to be made very well. You attach small rubber "gripper" pads that help to keep the unit from slipping out of the CD slot. The ball assembly allows for orientation of the phone in any position desired. By attaching one of the metal plates to your phone or phone case, the strong magnet of the base unit securely holds the phone in position. After you install the unit into the CD slot, you merely tighten the expander knob to increase tension in the slot. Very simple. The literature says it does not impair CD use. You would, of course, have to remove the unit to install the CD and then reinstall the phone holder. I have not tried this yet as I very rarely use my CD player. I tend to use my Sirius/XM radio instead.

I have a couple of nit picks, but they are really not directed at the unit itself, rather how it applies to use in my truck. I have a 2006 GMC pickup truck, and the CD player is up high in the center of the dashboard. When I shift from Park to Drive, I tend to hit the phone with my hand - sometimes knocking it off the magnetic base. The unit also blocks the view of the radio screen somewhat also. Again, these are not faults of the unit, but its use in my specific vehicle. Also, the expander knob is close to the CD player and is a little difficult to be able to turn easily. A circular knurled knob might be better. I saw another manufacturer's similar model on Amazon, and the knob was under the unit. I am going to try installing my unit upside down and see if that solves the problem. I merely followed the illustrations in the instructions.

All in all, I am very pleased with this device and am happy to have it. It is really handy. I highly recommend it to others.
Roger Meyer

KitchenAid KKFTR8CHWM Professional Series 8" Chef Knife, Ebony Black
KitchenAid KKFTR8CHWM Professional Series 8" Chef Knife, Ebony Black
Price: $118.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased!, June 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
.I am an old lady with thin wrists and wondered if a knife this large would be unwieldy. I decided to initiate the knife's maiden voyage by slicing through a pineapple. The knife cut the pineapple like butter and for ducks I tried thin, thin slices. Piece of cake. Chances are good I'll use my new Chef knife for everything.

The handle is not wood, but Micarta, which is a synthetic material manufactured from composites of paper, linen, canvas and fiberglass, amazingly. Micarta handles are especially strong, durable, and heat and cold resistant. So you can pop your Chef knife in your dishwasher or take it to the Antarctic next time you go.

The knife comes in a nice fitted box and a little manual is included which clues you into knife proper techniques.

The Vatican Prophecies: Investigating Supernatural Signs, Apparitions, and Miracles in the Modern Age
by John Thavis
Price: $21.16
69 used & new from $12.45

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating, lively glimpse of the Vatican in action, June 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
“The Vatican Prophecies” is a fascinating book about the inner workings of the Vatican, told with sharp jabs of humor but the lively text is not disrespectful. People across the board, adherents of any belief or none have their fetishes whether buying a guitar belonging to Elvis or a drop of John Paul II's blood sold on Ebay for $100.00 a pop. People like identifying with someone spectacular in some way perhaps gathering strength via osmosis. They love relics. In 2010 a shin bone supposedly belonging to Mary Magdalene and discovered in 1295 in France, went on a whirlwind tour of Midwestern churches, 36 of them in 31 days. Mary, as a reformed prostitute, has much relevance for the modern “multitasking sexually experienced woman” according to an ex call girl who was drawn to the relic encased in a glass reliquary as were many of her sisters.

Men being men, centuries ago and the whole time since, saw the lucrative nature of relics. Several separate churches all claim to have the head of .John the Baptist, and slivers of the True Cross are probably numerous enough to sink a battleship. From teeth to bones to nail clippings relics are big business, especially since the advent of the Internet. Prophecies and miraculous apparitions, such as the face of Jesus Christ on a piece of toast grab the headlines in the computer age. Relics, apparitions and such can always claim a wide audience.

The Vatican is sort of on a razor's edge in judging what is authentic in a relic, a vision or whatever and what is bogus. Investigators have to tread carefully

There is always a special person in charge of exhuming future saints. A Saint's body ideally should not rot, although it may mummify. If the face looks too bad a thin veneer of wax can be applied. One can see the beautiful “face”of Saint Bernadette and also her waxen hands as she lies in a glass reliquary in .However, so many factors go into play around a buried body from the weather to previous embalming that the Vatican no longer requires a corpse be incorrupt as a prerequisite to sainthood. The current restorer of bodies is an art restorer. He is Nazzareno Gabrielli. His methods are very complicated but the saint will look good when he is finished.

The Virgin Mary is by far the most popular apparition. One cleric explains that the Virgin herself did not really appear in the grotto in Lourdes but being graced by God, Bernadette saw her there in her mind's eye. I suppose that is as good an explanation as any. Author Thavis discusses in detail the three most popular sites where the Virgin has cf appeared- Lourdes, Medjugorje and Fatima. The present Pope, Francis, dedicated his august position to the Madonna and it could be said that Mary is IN.

Perhaps the most interesting chapter in the book concerns the Shroud of Turin. Studied by some of the world's most imminent scientists, many being Jewish and therefore presumably don't let their religion get in their way, the Shroud refuses to give up its secret: how did the effigy of a crucified man get on the fourteen foot cloth? Not painted. Not photography. Not radiation from a thunderstorm. Did the unguents on the cloth interact with ammonia compounds excreted by the body as it started to decay? The Shroud was definitely wrapped around a crucified man. Carbon dating some years ago put the origin of the Shroud in Medieval times. But other researchers, testing threads from another area of the linen date the Shroud smack dab at the time of Jesus Christ. Author Thavis calls the Shroud a “world class mystery.”

Amazingly, the Vatican has very recently issued a formal approval of the International Association of Exorcists. Membership is exclusively given to priests officially licensed as exorcists by their bishop and that they have to work closely with medical and psychiatric experts. This situation appears to indicate that the Vatican believes in the devil and that Satan may inhabit unfortunate souls and the possessed may writhe, convulse, even levitate.

The highly orchestrated procedures in which the Vatican investigates miracles is covered by many examples, mostly concerning sudden and permanent complete recoveries from sickness. A famous example was the sudden cessation of a virulent cancer in a Hawaiian woman named Audrey Toguchi.
Numerous tumors had invaded her body but instead of submitting to chemotherapy, she prayed to Father Damien, who had administered to the lepers confined to an island in Hawaii and who eventually became a leper himself. Audrey had known Father Damien as a child and had a lock of his hair. Suddenly the aggressive tumors shrunk and finally disappeared. The Vatican learned of the medical “miracle” and the fact that Audrey had prayed to Father Damien. The priest was in line for sainthood. But a miracle attributed to him had to be proven. After extensive cross examination of Audrey Damien was declared a saint. There are many more examples given in the book, some more convincing than others. I couldn't help thinking of poor Saint Bernadette Soubirous who painfully died of bone tuberculosis at age thirty five. Why hadn't her faith cured her? Perhaps because she didn't want it to.

Thavis' book is respectful of the Catholic Church and the Vatican, but some of his observations are tongue-in-cheek. The text is lively, nuanced and is an excellent read no matter what your position is on apparitions, the supernatural, the unexplained, and you may scoff at some of the “explanations.” This is a lively read that will set you thinking one way or another
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2015 3:15 AM PDT

Zensah Copper Socks - Best Copper Running Socks - Comfortable Cushioned Athletic Sport Socks - Merino Wool Socks
Price: $13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Too pricey!, June 17, 2015
I got the Zensah Copper Running Socks because they contain copper. I have heard a lot about copper in athletic clothing recently and thought I’d give it a try. First, these socks are very well made and have a unique design. They are soft and very thick. In fact, the thickness is a drawback for me as I prefer a thinner sock. Unless you prefer thick socks or will be wearing them in cold weather I would not recommend these socks.

Regarding the inclusion of copper in the materials I honestly do not know if it makes a difference. I suppose the scientific purpose is to reduce or eliminate odor-causing bacteria and fungi. I did not notice any difference between “regular” socks and these so I cannot attest to any claims of antimicrobial properties unless analyzed microscopically. They smell fine, though.

Overall, these socks are very comfortable if you are only wearing them without shoes. With shoes they just feel too bulky. I also feel they are a bit pricey and the features and benefits of these socks do not justify the price.

--Matt Meyer

SKINA 3 in 1 Detachable LENS for Mobile Phone & Digital Camera (180 degree fish-eye lens, wide + Macro Lens)
Offered by customer comes
Price: $2.93
9 used & new from $0.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice set, especially the macro!, June 11, 2015
I have always wanted macro lens capability for my cell phone camera. With the Skina 3-in-1 lens set you will get a macro plus wide and fisheye lenses. I tested these lenses on a Samsung Galaxy S5 which has one of the best cameras in the industry.

The set comes with the aforementioned lenses with lens covers, a clip-on adapter which both holds the lens and clips onto the phone, and a convenient soft polishing cloth carrying pouch. The wide and macro lenses are screwed together and it took some effort to unscrew them.

The wide lens was ok. Nothing stands out as the standard lens in the phone has a nice wide angle. The fisheye lens was a blast and can take a picture of the whole room. It also produced a much better effect than the fisheye feature included in the phone’s effects suite. The macro lens was exceptional and allowed me to take pictures closer than ever to the subjects. I will be using this lens the most in the future and am very pleased with the results.

Overall, this product is of good quality and is a decent value for the cost. The macro lens specifically accomplishes extreme closeups of objects not possible with standard cell phone lenses.

-- Matt Meyer

Viva Labs TRIPLE STRENGTH Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM, GUARANTEED Joint Agony Relief, 240 Capsules
Price: $39.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great hope for the future, June 7, 2015
There is a great deal of information in the literature about glucosamine and chondroitin combination supplements. Both compounds are part of cartilage, which forms a cushion between bones of a joint. As you age the cushions erode and the result is skeletal pain virtually everywhere- osteoarthritis. Both glucosamine and chondroitin are part of normal cartilage. MSM is a sulphur compound which aids in to the efficacy of glucosamine and chondroitin and the three compounds work synergistically together.

That having been said, I am a good guinea pig being both very old (85) and very arthritic. I am also aware that if the mind decides a supplement is going to work-any supplement- the mind affects the cure, not the supplement. That is why in some cases, test people taking a placebo have just as good a result as the people taking the supplement. However, the Mayo Clinic researchers gave a glucosamine sulphate supplement a grade of “B” meaning that there is good scientific evidence for its ability to lessen the pain in the knee. They specify that positive results were only obtained for the knee.

Glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM are a combination that is for many effective in treating osteoarthritis, muscle damage caused by exercise, and other inflammatory joint disorders. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence for osteoarthritis relief, but until more scientific information is available, the thing to do, especially if you're elderly, is take and trust the Viva Lab's glososamine-chondroitin- MSM combo, and if you're young get on the bandwagon and start taking it, too. This supplement is guaranteed to help your achy bones.

I have only been taking this glucosamine combo for two days but will report back later on how my osteoarthritis situation fares when confronted with this supplement.. I will add a fifth star when I get frisky.

Viva Labs - The BEST Tasting Organic Raw Cacao Nibs, 1 lb Bag
Viva Labs - The BEST Tasting Organic Raw Cacao Nibs, 1 lb Bag
Price: $21.95

5.0 out of 5 stars "Food of the gods", June 3, 2015
These bits and pieces of the cacao bean are totally unrefined. The genus for cacao is Theobroma derived from Greek “food of the gods.” Cacao is the richest antioxidant food in the world. Many of the antioxidants present in cacao are flavonoids. Like all antioxidants, these flavonoids act to prevent free radical damage. They are watch dogs protecting us from cancer and other devastating diseases. They also contain anti-aging properties.

Organic cacao can actually promote the release of hormones such as the endorphins and serotonin which improve mood and well-being. It boasts some 300 compounds including vitamins and minerals and trace elements and proteins and fat.

According to the Linus Pauling Institute, the flavonoids in cacao can block the oxidation of “bad” LDL cholesterol. In order to form plaque LDL cholesterol has to be oxidized. The blocking mechanism protects us from hardening of the arteries and other cardiovascular conditions and lowers the risk of heart disease. When the Linus Pauling Institute says something, it is wise to listen as they base all of their scientific observations on research. Pauling himself was the twentieth century's premier chemist.

We like our cacao nibs mixed into yogurt or fruit. Eaten right out of the bag they have a slightly bitter taste which can be overcome by pairing them with the natural sugars in fruit or including them in a trail mix.

DII Home Essentials Breathable Woven Paper Under the Bed or Closet Soft Storage, Chest Size, Damask, Set of 2
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft and malleable, great for blankets!, June 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These storage bags arrived and I thought they were going to be really flimsy. However when I opened them to use to store some winter blankets, I came to appreciate the material that was used. I don't think that my blankets are going to get that musty stored smell that some items get after being packed away.

These bags are just that - rectangular shaped bags, they are not rigid boxes, which I loved since I am stuffing them under my bed! They are made of a nice enough looking fabric/material that blends well with our light beige carpet. I'm glad I got these and I think the price is extremely reasonable for what you get, compared with what you would have to spend on similar items at another store.

--Victoria Franks

AT-A-GLANCE Weekly / Monthly Planner, Collection, Academic Year, 13 Months, July 2015-July 2016, 8.38 x 11 Inch Page Size (YP104A-07)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice clean layout but spiral a problem!, June 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
.This planner is very functional and offers several features that I really like (it's an academic year planner). There is space to keep my notes, contact information, as well as a clear pocket insert to store odds and ends throughout the year. I love the planner page design - it's simple and easy to use. You get your month at a glance (with space for notes) followed by the weekly planner which is no-nonsense and perfect for me to track my meetings/topics/agendas. I hate when planners are so 'busy' looking that it distracts from what you need to organize. This planner is not that way at all. My only complaint is the spiral! The cover (which is fairly heavy duty/sturdy) gets hung up on the spiral and my fear is that it is going to start coming apart and snagging on stuff. I personally hate spirals like this but we'll see if it stands the test of time!

--Victoria Franks

Viva Labs The Finest Organic Raw Chia Seeds, 1 Pound
Viva Labs The Finest Organic Raw Chia Seeds, 1 Pound
Price: $19.99
4 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Little power-houses!, June 2, 2015
A seed, any seed, is a little nutritional factory filled with nutrients for the embryo plant inside. The nutrient bank will vary from seed species to seed species and some are more valuable than others from the standpoint of human nutrition. Chia seeds are high on the list.

The small black seeds are harvested from Salvia hispanica, a flowering plant in the mint family that was well-known to the ancient Aztecs. Historians believe that Chia seeds were grown as a food crop, just as important as maize. The word “chia” comes from an ancient Aztec language and means “oily.”
Chia is one of the plant kingdom's richest sources of fatty acids composed of 60% omega-3s, specifically alpha-linolenic acid or ALA. Omega-3s can boost brain function, reduce high cholesterol levels and reduce inflammation.

Chia seeds are able to absorb liquid to twelve times their weight, forming a gel. When ground up and added to fruit juice, say, the concoction will fill you up so you are not only not hungry but you'll benefit from the seeds' storehouse of vitamins and minerals and the fatty acids will increase your energy. The Aztecs long ago knew what they were doing nutrition-wise and you'll never see a fat Aztec in their superb art.

We like the seeds sprinkled on to salad, especially a salad topped with blue cheese dressing to add a bit of crunchiness but they can be used in baking, and because of the gel they form, can even be used as an egg substitute. Chia seeds are a great addition to your nutritional stable- and oh, did we mention they are high in fiber, too?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20