ARRAY(0x9dcb1c30)

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JB RSS Feed

Pearl Izumi Men's Elite Tri Sleeveless Jersey
Pearl Izumi Men's Elite Tri Sleeveless Jersey

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and fit, a little snug in the armpits, and difficult pockets, December 29, 2012
Great quality. I will be running in it for a triathlon in February.

Top is made well and fit is great. The only issue with fit is that the bottom of the arm opening is tight against the side of my chest and I'm worried about chaffing. I'm 5'7", 160lbs with a muscular build (40 chest/30 waist) rather than a runners build - and I ordered a Medium.

The bottom seam on the armpit opening is big as well. It rubs against my arm with more vigorous movement. Again, this is likely because I have big arms for someone my size.

I'm thinking its not going to be a problem, but its something to be aware of. I will try to give an update in the future.
-------------------
UPDATE: The large seam and tight armhole haven't led to any chaffing. Its hardly noticeable during my runs and was great during my most recent 12km run. I have not taken it in the pool yet, and do not plan to.

New issues to be aware of: The top is a little longer than I'd lik in the back. This is of course to cover up the gab from traditionally short tri-shorts, but it makes the pockets further away from your reach. The other pocket-issue I have is that the flaps on top of the pockets make it a little difficult to get into during a run. Of course these flaps are great for minimizing water during the swim, but is a pain when I'm trying to grab a gel.

This is still my favorite tri-top for the money. I just plan on altering the pockets to make them have easier access.

TYR Men's Carbon Tri Short: Black/Red; MD
TYR Men's Carbon Tri Short: Black/Red; MD
Offered by TriSports
Price: $119.99
2 used & new from $83.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great short, Great fit, December 29, 2012
Great quality. I will be running in it for a triathlon in February but so far I've only been training (I'll update the review if I remember).

The only issue to note is that the legs are a little tight if you have big-meatier legs. I'm 5'8", 160lbs, with a 30inch waist . I ordered a Medium and it fits everywhere perfectly, except the legs which are a little too tight for my liking. I have thicker/more-muscular thighs than a typical runner which might be the problem.

The shorts have quality stitching and fabric, so they haven't stretched out from my legs. I'm hoping they'll adjust a little by race day (or that my legs will trim down a little).

-------------
UPDATE: After a bit of training in them, I've had no chaffing or uncomfortable squeezing from the tight thighs. They have stayed perfectly in place and have kept their form after several washes.

The only new issue I'm having is that the chamois tends to hold sweat. I didn't notice it until the end of my most recent 12km run, but I did notice it. I'm still thinking this will be my favorite pair of tri shorts.

1-to-1 Learning, Second Edition: Laptop Programs That Work
1-to-1 Learning, Second Edition: Laptop Programs That Work
by Pamela Livingston
Price: $30.41
33 used & new from $11.56

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good resource for teachers, April 12, 2011
I got hired to work at a 1-to-1 school and hoped that this would be the ultimate resource so that I would have an idea how to design my curriculum around a laptop program. Unfortunately, I was horribly mislead.

Chapters 1-8 are about 1-to-1 program design, implementation, and consideration. Maybe these chapter are useful for the IT rep or an administrator, but it doesn't help my classroom.

Chapter 9 is on current learning theories. If you know constructivism, then this chapter is nothing new. It waters down constructivist learning and applies laptops to the theory. Anyone who knows about constructive learning could easily piece the two together, so alas another unhelpful chapter.

Chapter 10 is about tablet PC's. So for most of us who have looked at this book as we venture into a 1-to-1 laptop school, the table PC chapter is not helpful. However, I found this chapter to be the most interesting and informative of any chapter I read (...however it was written by a different author).

Chapter 11 is the best chapter, but you could easily reach all the same conclusions in a 1 hour brainstorming session. This chapter finally gives some (but only a few) practical examples, and reminds you that laptops don't make up for poor curriculum.

Chapter 12 is on classroom management and proposes a whopping 3 strategies. And they all seem to deal with how to get your students to focus on you when you need their attention. Quite a shallow chapter for what most teachers would be worried about before entering a 1-to-1 school.

Chapter 13 is a model lesson. However it's not broad enough to work for me on a day to day basis. It's always easy for a new program to show a great single project-based lesson, but what about the other 189 days?

So overall, the book lacked comprehensive strategies for management, lesson design, and honestly provided no evidence that 1-to-1 learning is good for our students. I'm definitely a "new school" teacher that believes in big-time technology integration and constructivism, but this resource made absolutely no evidence-based arguments to support its objective. Its not that I disagree with the author, I just wanted to see some proof instead of some correlations that anyone who knows the definition of constructivism could draw.

Maybe the first few chapters would be good for an administrator, I can't judge that. However, if you're a teacher looking to learn how to adapt to a 1-to-1 laptop program, you're better served using the internet to search for model lessons and technology blogs. This book just isn't worth the time or money.