Profile for J. M Tyler > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. M Tyler RSS Feed

Contraband
Contraband
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $11.19
251 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best rock albums in years, October 27, 2004
This review is from: Contraband (Audio CD)
I'll admit to bias right off...I am a huge Stone Temple Pilots fan. Also, I grew up in the 80s and I loved Guns N Roses. They weren't my favorite band, but I was a big fan, nonetheless.

If you are familiar with those two bands, you should have a good idea of what to expect here. In my opinion, this album is the perfect marriage of the heavy rock of Stone Temple Pilots and the guitar riffs of Guns N Roses.

It seems that since the early 80s, the plan of the music business has been to saturate the market with whatever is selling the most albums. As a result, by the end of the 80s, we had hundreds of bands on the radio playing blazing guitar solos until we couldn't take it anymore. The toned down "grunge rock" was just what we needed to get the taste out of our mouths. However, I feel that the guitar solo is something that rock fans have loved since at least the 60s and something that has been sorely missing in most of today's rock music.

Velvet Revolver fixes that, and it does it without sounding out of place in today's music. As much as I love the debut CD by Jet, the CD sounds like it belongs on record shelves 30 years ago. Velvet Revolver also doesn't sound like a parody of the 80s like the Darkness does.

In short, there isn't a lot of rock music that really gets me excited anymore. There are lots of great songs out there today, but too many of the bands seem interchangable and as a result disposable. Velvet Revolver has a great sound and seems to have great chemistry. I love almost all of the songs on Contraband. If this band stays together, I expect more great albums.

Best of Both Worlds
Best of Both Worlds
Price: $13.99
90 used & new from $4.16

1.0 out of 5 stars A compilation to make both die hard and casual fans mad, August 5, 2004
This review is from: Best of Both Worlds (Audio CD)
Any casual fan probably bought Best of: Vol. 1 a few years ago only to find that it was missing several of the great tracks played on the radio. The die hards bought that album for the 2 new rushed Roth tracks that were decent but did nothing to add to the original Van Halen legacy.

Move ahead 8 years and here we have another greatest hits album...odd seeing as the band has only released one album in that 8 years and NONE of the tracks from that album are represented here. Seems odd, too, since Gary Cherone was supposedly EVH's "musical soulmate" without which he vowed to spend the rest of his days playing trombone. It's a slap in the face to Gary not to at least include "Without You" here.

So anyway, basically what you have here is a band who claims to have written volumes of music in the past 6 years only to release a new hits package with only 3 new tracks. So answer me this, if you're doing this for the casual fans why not release a single disc "Best of Volume 2" with the new Hagar tracks and the rest of the radio tracks you included here? If you're doing this for the die hard fans why insult them by making them buy 2 CDs full of songs they already have for 3 new Hagar tracks that (just like the Roth tracks on BOV1) are decent but do nothing to add to the Van Hagar legacy? If you've written so much music in the past 6 years, why not give us a new album?

And finally, why the live tracks? They're from a live album that true Hagar fans bought years ago. They feature Hagar on vocals, but they're Roth songs. Wouldn't Hagar fans want to hear Hagar singing Hagar songs? Wouldn't Roth fans want to hear Roth singing Roth songs? So why these tracks? Makes no sense. If you had room for 3 more songs why not give us one of the many radio songs you left off the CD, ie. Mean Street, Atomic Punk, Ice Cream Man, Somebody Get Me a Doctor, Top Jimmy, Drop Dead Legs, Summer Nights, 5150, Cabo Wabo, (Don't Tell Me) What Love Can Do, Amsterdam, etc?

To make a long story short, lately Van Halen seems to be a band that cares nothing about their fans. Indeed, this CD is packed full of great music, but it is also packed with a lot of bad blood.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2012 10:32 PM PST