Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Two kids mom > Reviews

Browse

Two kids mom's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1100
Top Reviewer Ranking: 237

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Two kids mom "scienceteachermom" RSS Feed (NM United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Happy Belly Whole California Almonds, 48 Ounce
Happy Belly Whole California Almonds, 48 Ounce
Price: $22.09

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality almonds. Plain they are a bit bland for eating straight, but are excellent in recipes., July 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These almonds are very high quality, and are all completely whole, no broken pieces. However, for eating out of hand they are rather bland. If you plan on using them for cooking they are excellent. We used about a third of the bag to make cinnamon almonds in the crockpot (google it) and they were fantastic.

However, when we were sent this for review we were not given the price for which they will be sold, so I can not speak to the value until the price is posted.

remodeez Footwear Deodorizer: Charcoal Odor and Moisture Remover, Green (2 Pack)
Price: $9.99
3 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient and work but expensive. Cheaper to make own. Sun is not going to "recharge" them unless it is going supernova., July 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Yes activated charcoal works, it basically has many, many pores, creating a large surface area for interaction. This is activated charcoal in a handy bag that does not leak much dust. They are handy, and they do work but I have some issues with how they are marketed here.
I use activated charcoal in my fridge (in a container with a bit of netting on it) and in shoes (poured into in old socks). Both work well, but it is more work to create than these devices and carbon dust can leak out a bit. That said, I can buy a HUGE amount of activated charcoal intended for aquarium use at a fraction of the cost. These weigh about 3oz (85g) (including the fabric part) and I buy activated carbon (same thing) for under fifteen dollars for 40 oz (1134g).

I did some research in my university on if activated charcoal can be “recharged” as this product states that sunlight will “recharge” the charcoal. Most of the research was on air purification systems and water treatment systems and the discussion revolved around reusing filters. Interestingly I found temperatures ranging from 250C to 780C to pyrolyze (basically off gas the absorbed gasses). That’s 482F to 1430F, not temperatures that leaving it out in the sun is going to provide (if the sun is proving this sort of heat, your last concern will be smelly shoes). Nor could I find anything that stated that activated carbon made from coconut shells had a larger surface area than other sources. If the creators have data or research showing otherwise, please provide it and I will update my review.

I used them in a pair of teenagers shoes and they work. So does an old sock filled with activated carbon (although it can leak a bit of the carbon into the shoe, if you are less lazy than I am, sew some out of fabric with a tight weave)

In short they work, they are more convenient and a bit less messy but a lot more expensive. “Recharging” via the sun is a doubtful proposition.
I took a photo with a soda can so you can see the size.
Comment Comment | Permalink

adidas Performance Women's Techfit Short Tights (3"), Medium, Black/Medium Silver
Price: $18.75
6 used & new from $15.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Size medium for 5ft 6in 135lb athlete fits well. Nice length for multiple uses., July 3, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Medium fits a 5ft 6 inch, 135lb woman with muscular legs from sports.

The only silver on the “black and silver” is the logo. Completely opaque, even when stretching. At around twenty dollars (or just a little more) these are a good quality for the price.

Seams lay flat. If you are looking for sliders to wear under soccer/basketball shorts or as volleyball shorts these will work well, the Climalite fabric breathes well. Also good length for modesty under shorter skirts or dresses, although not for skin tight dresses (you will see the seams in the shorts).

I do suggest you drip dry these, the material lasts longer if not sent through the dryer all the time.

The Manga Guide to Regression Analysis
The Manga Guide to Regression Analysis
by Shin Takahashi
Price: $16.80
62 used & new from $11.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much math for initially learning regression concepts, and the format detracts from learning the math for advanced students., June 29, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I teach statistics at the university level, both introductory and honors level, and often use cartoons in my teaching (both in the form of Cartoon Guide and other cartoons I have collected over the years) and I find this book somewhat puzzling. It is too hard core math for an introduction, and presented in too scattered a manner for advanced students.

Strangely, there is a review at the beginning where the basics of some algebra (like exponent rules) are covered, if a student does not remember this, they will never be able to follow the rest of the math so I do not see the point of this review. The audience for this book would see to me to be very narrow, those with a previously really strong grasp of math, who want a very mathematical explanation of regression and who like manga.

I expected a more conceptual approach. This is hard core math framed with manga. I would still be ok with this, adding any sort of humor generally is useful for students, but the explanations are often unnecessary to an initial understanding of regression (logs and differential equations and some intro to the fundamental theory of calculus) and even worse, really unclear, partially because you are trying to follow equations that have been written into panels so they go from left to right rather than being from top to bottom (where it is easier to compare one equation to the next and to see what has changed). I find it strange for example, that when introducing the regression equation y=ax+b that it is not pointed out that this is the general equation of a line, usually learned as y=mx+b and explaining that the slope is “m” or “a” and the y intercept is b. I usually tell my
students that it is annoying that stat uses “a” and math uses “m” for slope, but everything they learned about lines applies here as well. Since the book has a review at the beginning, why isn't this pointed out when the equation is introduced?

My students who can handle this level of math will generally find this book annoying (too much extraneous reading that does not further comprehension) and my students who need statistics taught in more conceptual manner will be terrified by the math in this book and how it is presented.

Perhaps the introduction book to statistics is better, but I really cannot recommend this as a way to help students to learn regression.

360 Electrical 36000 Pro Heavy Duty 5 Outlet Hub with Hexacore, Black/Yellow
360 Electrical 36000 Pro Heavy Duty 5 Outlet Hub with Hexacore, Black/Yellow
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Meant to use with an extension cord, although you can plug it into wall if you fold up rubber flap., June 28, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is meant to be used on an extension cord, there is a small rubbery flap at the top of the plug. You can plug it into a wall by lifting that rubber flap up, but it is a tad more difficult. I took a photo of this flap and of the device next to a soda can for scale.
Pros:
You can plug in five devices, even with giant wall warts.
There are covers over the outlets, so those not in use will not get debris in them.
Light to see that it is getting power and has circuit breaker built in.
It is solid.

Cons:
Covers do not seal.
An on/off switch would really be great at this price point.

I am using this to plug in all the chargers for my battery powered tools. It works nicely for this, saves me a bit of space.
Comment Comment | Permalink

PNY Elite 32GB microSDHC Card with Adapter -UHS-I, U1, up to 85MB/Sec (P-SDU32U185EL-GE)
Price: $9.99
8 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars No write speed listed?! Will NOT work for full HD on an Canon Rebel T5i. Good value if you don't need really fast write speed., June 27, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This card is a good value, it is fast for the price and size (I have a “brand name” version with about the same write speed that cost twice as much). There was no write speed listed here, or on the manufactures website, which I find supremely annoying.

I will tell you it does NOT write fast enough to record Full HD video on a Canon T5i (1,920 x 1,080 (1080p) at 30 frames per second) in spite of the claim here on the website. Write speed is really, really important for using in a camera. It is less important when accessing information from the card (so for example using it on a phone for apps). It is fast enough to take photos or video on my Android phone, but it does not keep up with the Canon.

I will say that your speed may vary depending on the device you are using, some of the devices themselves cannot take advantage of the speed. It is overkill to be using this with a device that cannot read at these speeds.

Nevertheless, for simple storage this is a good value. Not good enough for really intense photography.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2016 1:14 PM PDT

Delsey Luggage Chatillon 28 Inch Trolley Duffel, Blue
Delsey Luggage Chatillon 28 Inch Trolley Duffel, Blue
Price: $118.99
13 used & new from $113.04

4.0 out of 5 stars 28 inch trolley does NOT have built in scale. Folds flat for storage, well made and light. Will tip when full and set upright., June 25, 2016
Dimensions and information.

The 28 inch duffel DOES NOT have the built in weight measurement. I found this confusing in the description, only the 25 and 29 inch spinner trolleys have the scale.

All measurement actually measured, not from the info provided by the manufacturer.

Height 14 inch X 13.5 inches wide x 27 inches long (there is some error here, as it is soft sided), with wheels it is 27.5 in tall making the total 55 linear inches which is 7 less than most carriers allow.

72 in tall handle when fully extended, has only one extension length.

Attached ID pocket with pull out access.

Weighs 5.lb 6.5oz empty and with the optional over arm carry strap.

Outside pocket 22in x 4.5 inches along the bottom of the suitcase above that a pocket 22 inches by 5.5 inches deep. I think the bottom ones is meant for an umbrella.

Inside pocket 22in x 10.5 (flat pocket)

Pros:
The arm carry strap is nice, if you need to haul it up stairs.

Wheels roll nicely, big enough for cobblestones.

Light for size, which means you get to bring more junk.

I like the duffel approach, it’s easier to fit into tight places in the car. I use packing cubes with mine because of the fact that you only have one large space.

Well made, nice zippers which work smoothly.

Easy to store since you can flatten it out, if you have a small storage space for luggage this is a big plus. Also easy to stash someplace when you arrive. I see this as one of it’s biggest positives, if you are living in a dorm room or small apartment but need a fairly big suitcase this one is easy to stuff in a closet when you get there.

Cons:
There are two sort of stiff straps that can be snapped (with a little dexterity) to the sides of the duffel to keep it open while packing. I took a photo of one. I found these a bit awkward to use, since if you leave them snapped while packing, you then would either need to reach in around the clothes to unsnap them, or leave them snapped, and I am not sure if they would take the stress of having another heavy suitcase thrown on top of them.

Too big for carry on, and not the maximum size for checked luggage.

Will tip over when upright depending on how you pack it, as there are just two little plastic feet at the end with the wheels. If you pack it all the way full the case will tip easily when balanced upright especially if the weight is not concentrated toward the bottom of the suitcase.

No way to grab it from the bottom of the duffel. I have another similar one like this and the foot at the bottom is also molded into a handle, which means if the bottom is the part facing you (such as when packed in a car) you can grab it and pull it out.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Dockers Men's Pacific Washed Athletic-Fit Slim Tapered Pant, New British Khaki, 34x30
Price: $39.99
2 used & new from $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Waist fit is true to size, length runs short, get an inch or 2 longer than you usually wear if you want them to cover shoe top., June 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are a different sort of Khaki, less bulky but with some give to the fabric which makes them more comfortable. The fabric is softer and more flexible than regular khaki’s but because of the give can fit a little slimmer and still be comfortable.

True to fit at waist, I would go a little longer for the length, that seems to be a bit shorter than usual (not much, maybe an inch).
Washed and dried with no observable shrinkage. Nice deep pockets.

The cost is on the high side, but these are well made pants so that should be taken under consideration.

Night Therapy Memory Foam 4 Inch Pressure Relief Mattress Topper, Twin
Night Therapy Memory Foam 4 Inch Pressure Relief Mattress Topper, Twin
Offered by Sleep Revolution
Price: $213.98
2 used & new from $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It is 3.5 inches of foam not 4. Cover washes and dries well in machine. Works well for me over a very firm mattress., June 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This foam pad comes with a zippered cover that is cloth on top and a mesh along the bottom. I took the cover off to wash and dry it for testing, and it came through both fine. It was not too difficult to get back onto the foam either. However, because it has this cover the friction is reduced between the foam and the top of your mattress. You need to have sheets deep enough to cover both the foam (which is actually about 3.5 inches when fully expanded) and your mattress so that the sheet can hold it on. It does move a little when you turn over so it is important that your sheets can hold it in place.

Only very minimal smell which dissipated in 24 hours (I have a sensitive nose too). It took less time to expand than my old foam topper.

I would only use this (personal preference) with a firm mattress, as 3.5 inches of foam is a fair amount and I think it would be too squishy with a soft mattress. I think that everyone varies in terms of what they want in a bed. I want some give (it helps to keep my arm from falling asleep when I sleep on my side) but underneath that I want support for my back. Using a very firm mattress with a foam topper meets my needs.
I am taking a star off, because it says 4 inch topper and the foam is 3.5 inches, even after expanding for over a week. There is the cover, but I think it is unfair to market it as “4 inch pressure relief” when the pressure portion is 3.5 inches.

Zinus 14 Inch Elite SmartBase Mattress Foundation for Big & Tall Extra Strong Support/Platform Bed Frame/Box Spring Replacement/Sturdy/Quiet Noise Free/Non-Slip, Twin XL
Price: $99.00
2 used & new from $99.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Use as is with spring mattress. With foam mattress you probably want more support, we used pegboard and zip tied it to frame., June 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you are going to use this for a permanent bed I suggest you get this version, it is a lot more sturdy than the cheaper versions and yet it still folds in half for transport and taking up and down stairs. For use with guests who are not too large the cheaper and lighter version should suffice. Good for those who move a lot (college students etc) because it does not take up as much space to move. I got the Twin XL to accommodate taller people, most cots you buy are at most the length of a twin and often shorter.

If you are using it with a normal spring mattress you can use as is. If you are using a memory foam mattress you probably should put some sort of support over the top to deal with the unevenness. I saw some people use the box, the one we got the box was pretty dusty and beat up. We got a piece of pegboard cut to fit (cheap, has some holes for ventilation and the top of it is smooth so does not catch on the foam). You can even zip tie through the pegboard holes to hold it in place.

The storage underneath is great.

FedEx delivered this five days after the “expected” delivery date, so be aware of that if you are under a time crunch. Not going to dock the product for this, as it does not reflect on the quality.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20