Profile for Dean! > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 298

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dean! RSS Feed (Dallas, TX)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
LifeProof iPhone 6 Case - Nuud Series - Night Dive Blue (Dark Gray/Dark Blue )
LifeProof iPhone 6 Case - Nuud Series - Night Dive Blue (Dark Gray/Dark Blue )
Price: $80.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-thought out case that works with TouchID, uses your original glass screen display and is still waterproof!, May 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This case is the first time I've seen a shockproof, dustproof, and waterproof case that still used your original glass! This means this case creates a waterproof seal without having to fully enclose your phone's screen with plastic, etc! This is VERY important for all iPhone6 users that use the fingerprint TouchID - brilliant! (I have read other reviews of other brands of losing their TouchID functionality or sensitivity)

Your iPhone6 will be using the original/beautiful glass screen display you already love. I actually have a tempered-glass protector on top of mine - this case works great on top of that.

The fit is excellent and the durability/ruggedness looks good. This will add to the size the same way an Otterbox would, so do you value size and slimness or total protection more?

Volume, power buttons work great. The "Ring Silencer/Ringer On" switch above the volume buttons does take a bit more effort and no tactile click, you just have to look at the screen to see that the Ringer is being turned on or off.

The charger port is of course covered by a door and my factory charger cable plugs in very easily. (Have read other reviews of other brands where the ruggedness of the case affects the ability to reach the charger port, not in this case)

The headphone port is well thought-out, it is a rubber screw that protects it. On top of that, they provide a screw-in headphone adapter so you could have this plugged into headphones/speaker and the phone at least will still be waterproof. Well-played, LifeProof!

So if you want something waterproof, but still want to use your original glass screen display (without having to enclose it in a plastic layer that could affect your TouchID) then THIS is the case to get!

Win Jr LTE -Grey
Win Jr LTE -Grey
Price: $99.00

4.0 out of 5 stars $99, unlocked, dual-sim, expandable MicroSD storage and LTE - great business/traveler phone!, May 14, 2015
This review is from: Win Jr LTE -Grey (Unlocked Phone)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been debating back and forth on 3-Stars or 4-Stars and am confident that this is a genuine 4-Star device once I considered ALL factors on what it offers and considered the apples to Apple comparison (pun intended ;--P ).

I want to set the expectation that I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 and iPhone 6 for comparison, so using this phone is a step-back, BUT don't forget this is relatively inexpensive ($99 at the time of this writing) AND it is already unlocked AND it is LTE and it is DUAL SIM!

Our family already recently travelled overseas, but this would have been THE phone to have. I could switch my SIM to this for all of US-based airports and flight connections, sync up all of my Microsoft Account and Facebook contacts, emails, etc and then get an international SIM for whatever worked in our overseas destination. Honestly, Windows Phone tie-in with Facebook/MSFT Account (and of course iTune/iCloud) makes all of this really easy to go from my everyday phone to a travel-phone and be happy to use it for a few weeks.

Immediate Observations:
====================
1. Display is 480x854pixels and quite noticeable. The Nokia 1020 is like 1080p and I believe iPhone6 is really close to that. The BLU Win Jr is 217PPI and the 1020 is 334PPI and the iPhone6 is 326PPI. What this means is how grainy appearing the display is that you look at every single day. Viewing various photos on all 3 phones and video, the BLU Win Jr is a distant 3rd. BUT, consider the price and 4-stars means "I like it!"

2. The wife's iPhone6 was over $600!!! Incredible! Laptops are cheaper than that. Sure you can get it for "$300" with a 2 year contract commitment, but you're stuck with that carrier for 2 years and cannot get a new device unless you break the contract and pay extra anyways. The Nokia Lumia 1020 was ~$400. THIS BLU Win Jr with LTE is $99 (at the time of this writing) and it is already unlocked.

3. Expandable MicroSD storage for the win (the BLU Win)! As you may know, the iPhone and the Nokia Lumia 1020 do NOT have expandable storage! This simple $99 BLU Win Jr has expandable MicroSD storage! 1/4 to 1/6 the price of flagship phones.

4. Performance is a little laggy/sluggish/jerky (like when scrolling) on the BLU Win Jr, probably because it only has 512mb ram, even though it has a Qualcomm Snapdragon quad-core 64bit processor. Not terrible, but not as smooth as any iPhone or Nokia Lumia. BUT remember, this is not a flagship phone, this is a $99 dual-sim phone.

5. DUAL-SIMs - another BLU Win! Obviously iPhone and Nokia Lumia currently do not have dual-sim functionality. If you never travel overseas or you can use your personal phone at work, then you probably don't care. But if you have to carry a work phone AND you want your own phone, dual-sim is the way to go. And don't forget it supports 2G/3G/LTE, which is basically every carrier I know (in the US). Using it is very, very slick, from choosing a "1" or "2" when sending text messages or placing phone calls depending on which number or sim card you want to use!

6. Real Hands-free Text Messaging - this is really just a Windows Phone 8.1 WIN. Absolutely blows Siri away and the Wife was shocked that Siri didn't do this well. When I get a new text message on the BLU Win Jr, it will AUTO-NOTIFY me with "You received a new text message from John Doe, would you like me to read it or ignore it?" THEN, I can speak my reply and it will review it and ask if I want to add-more or start over or cancel it. Also, each section that I dictate, I can re-record, without having to redo the entire message.
Surprisingly - Siri doesn't do this, you have to hope your car's built-in bluetooth "hears" the text message notification chime. And IF you do hear it, you have to fumble around for your home button to launch Siri and once you launch Siri, you have to then tell her, "Siri, read me my text messages". That's not hands-free! (Note: I said car's built-in bluetooth, most 3rd party car bluetooth add-ons like from Jabra or Parrot, etc, you can press a single button to activate Siri, but for some reason, most cars that don't have Apple CarPlay or Apples EyesFree will not activate Siri, you have to physically find your phone or buy a bluetooth Siri button)
I know Android does this with apps; we haven't found an iOS app that allows this.
Furthermore, Windows Phone 8.1 will probably work with ANY car bluetooth system new or old, because... we can dial "Cortana" as a phone contact and it will launch Cortana! My 2009 car's phone button doesn't activate Siri or Cortana, BUT I can simply just dial/call Cortana and Cortana is activated. Siri doesn't offer this yet and you have to jailbreak your phone to get a 3rd party app that does this. I presume Android just uses "Hey Google" but likely drains the battery.

7. The camera appears a bit grainy/washed, but again the screen resolution is far below that of the iPhone6 and Nokia Lumia 1020. But this is like comparing a Kia to a Mercedes and BMW. The BLU Win Jr is 5mp and the iPhone6 is 8mp and the 1020 is a whopping 40mp! But it is really not about megapixels, as the iPhone6 probably has the best phone camera in terms of quality and speed compared to any phone out there. (The 1020 is great, but it takes 2-3 seconds to process each picture, the iPhone6 can rapid-fire shot after shot with very high quality)

8. App Gap, there's no denying iOS and Android app availability and marketshare (99%). But for any business-user that drives a lot for work or has a long commute and doesn't need a big app selection, Windows Phone 8.1 is worth it for purely the fuller-featured Outlook integration, Reminders behaviors, Exchange Contact and Calendar integration, Skype business meeting integration (ie. watch Skype/Lync desktop sharing from your phone!) and above-all, amazing and true hands-free text messaging abilities (compared to Siri).

Overall, you get what you pay for and you get A LOT here. At $99 compared to $400-$600 phones of course this is not a flagship phone, but $99 gets you LTE, unlocked, dual-sim AND expandable micro-sd. Great phone for a frequent international traveler or a current 2-phones business person that wants to consolidate. If you try Cortana's *truly* hands-free text messaging functionality in your car, I don't see how a business-minded road traveler could want anything else.

TEKTON 28301 Everybit Tech Rescue Kit for Electronics, Phones and Precision Devices, 45 Piece
Price: $24.99
4 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This kit will pay for itself the first time you use it!, May 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a thorough and well thought out kit that contains many hard to find bits like security bits and penta lobe bits.

Overall, I find this to be a good bargain because it generally has everything you need. I fix various electronic gadgets from time to time and have, for example purchased the security bits separately, plus shipping and it all adds up.

I also use a plastic knife to open some parts and having this professional kit with the correct spludger tools, etc is nice, especially the carrying case, versus my plastic zip lock bag I use today.

I've repaired a few phones thus far for myself and friends and a kit like this will easily pay for itself the first time you use it! (Search Amazon for whatever phone glass screens you may need and make sure it is highly rated, I've had excellent luck so far.)

ullu Case for iPhone 6 - Retail Packaging - Mud Slide/Brown/Mud Slide Brown
ullu Case for iPhone 6 - Retail Packaging - Mud Slide/Brown/Mud Slide Brown
Price: $55.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great feel of leather that lives up to the beauty of a naked iPhone 6, April 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great-fitting (and genuine leather smelling) case with the great feel of leather.

The iPhone 6 is an expensive item and sure you can get any number of silicone or plastic type covers, but then you have this gel-feel or plastic feeling case for a beautiful phone. Well, you have to make compromises if you want your iPhone to last and this is a nice solution.

Truly the great feel of leather, plus a slightly raised surface for the screen, with a plastic screen protector included (though it IS plastic and not tempered glass, which I purchased outside of this).

Hard to give less than 5 stars for a case that met all my criteria - a great look and feel that lives up to the beauty of a naked iPhone 6.

LUXOR TREASURES Super Soft Light Weight,100% Brushed Microfiber, Wrinkle Resistant, Queen 4-Piece White Sheet Set with White Floral Lace Embroidery Pillowcases in Gift Box
Price: $36.58
2 used & new from $34.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of everything - breathable, cool, wrinkle resistant and super soft!, April 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Microfiber sheets where have you been all my life?

As a bachelor I had both flannel (super soft!) and silk sheets (super cool) and was very happy with them. When I got married, those things had to go along with any of my olive-green furniture. :--)

Needless to say, many bed sets later of varying high (and expensive) thread counts and the introduction of this thing called a duvet cover and a bed skirt, I'm simply a different man. :--)

Sure, the Egyptian cotton 1000 thread count sheets were super wrinkled, yet soft, but that was my new life.

Enter these brushed microfiber bed sheets that are wrinkle resistant and just as soft as my old flannel bed sheets, I am quite impressed and amazed.

These microfiber sheets are definitely breathable and cool, super soft, and definitely wrinkle resistant. Basically the best of everything and I never knew these types of sheets existed. Happy customer and will be getting more for the guest room, too.

Grand Down All Season Down Alternative Comforter with 1cm Stripes, Full/Queen, White
Price: $58.79
4 used & new from $56.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to its description in every way, April 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This comforter is as described - Down-Alternative has not triggered any of my allergies, not too heavy and not too thin (truly All-Season) and so far, the "filling" doesn't seem to end up at one end of the comforter. (I presume because it is stitched in squares such that the "filling" can't move beyond one square anyways.)

I like the fact that it seems to stay planted on the bed for some reason and is not prone to sliding off, an added plus.

I give 4 stars because it looks very, very basic, almost hospital-basic. In fact, we'll probably be putting a duvet cover over this because this looks like we just took it out of the bag and didn't both putting a cover over it. (This comforter is meant to be used as-is, no duvet cover necessary, unless you are picky like us!)

Philips AVENT DECT Baby Monitor
Philips AVENT DECT Baby Monitor
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $35.16

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful! It's cordless, but it does NOT use rechargeable batteries! Be prepared to change batteries every 2 weeks., April 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For my job, I work from home and DECT is the only way to go for pure interference-free usage that won't affect your home WIFI or home Internet service like other baby monitors. I can definitely attest that DECT doesn't affect WIFI. Most of the other non-DECT monitors out there, like from Summer or Motorola or Lorex, etc transmit at 2.4ghz which is the same as 2.4ghz WIFI. DECT transmits at 2.1 or 2.3 or so.

If you have a non-DECT monitor and wireless Internet, turn both on and check your Internet speed. Turn off the non-DECT monitor and check your Internet speed again. I've seen 40-70% differences in Internet speed from interference from non-DECT monitors. Repeat the test with a Philips Avent DECT monitor and you'll see Internet speed is not affected.

That being said, I can only give THIS model 3 stars. We have an older Philips Avent DECT monitor that is excellent and truly cordless and rechargeable. THIS model takes non-rechargeable AA batteries or a power adapter. That's just silly, Philips! If you want this to be portable, you'll be changing out AA batteries every 2 weeks! I have no clue why Philips would not have made this like their older models, cordless, with a built in rechargeable battery. Our older model is almost 3 years old, we've used it every single day and only have to charge it every 2 weeks, but again, it has a rechargeable battery.

Because they took a step backwards with non-rechargeable cordless batteries, 3 stars is fair here.

SmartyPants Gummy Vitamins Adult Multivitamins Plus Omega 3's Plus Vitamin D Diet Supplement Gummies, 180 Count
Price: $29.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Barrel of laughs each time we take this!, April 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We chose this because this is the only brand that our children would eat. Of course they are using the KIDS version and we decided to try this ADULTS version. Well, little did we know that the serving size each day is 6 of these. Now the wife and I don't mind sweets, but having to consume 6 of these every day, we just really dread it, it is like stuffing your mouth full of candy each evening.

We --- the kids and us, take our vitamins after dinner as part of our routine. The kids love the kids version because, well, kids love candy and think of it as an after-dinner treat. It's a running joke between the wife and I having to consume 6 of these, it is really a lot even for adults. Doesn't taste bad, just a lot to consume that we laugh everytime. This is the first and last purchase of these for us... (but we'll still get the KIDS version for the kids).

Lifeproof Fre Case for iPad mini 3 - Avalanche (White/Cool Gray)
Lifeproof Fre Case for iPad mini 3 - Avalanche (White/Cool Gray)
Price: $89.99
2 used & new from $54.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Great overall and can add a keyboard stand accessory later, March 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Great case overall. Upon unpackaging it even tells you to first try the paper towel test for 30 minutes, which of course it passed, Before you get with your iPad first, heh.

I am giving it 5 stars compared to other cases because it gives you the option to add a keyboard stand, sure you have to buy this accessory from them, but at least we even get that option for a true, one case works for everyone type case, versus having to compromise (on not having a keyboard stand).

Cetaphil Baby Ultra Moisturizing Wash with Organic Calendula, 7.8 Ounce
Cetaphil Baby Ultra Moisturizing Wash with Organic Calendula, 7.8 Ounce
Price: $5.09
3 used & new from $5.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Hypoallergenic but not fragrance free, but no issues for our daughter with eczema, March 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We are using this with an 18-month old and a 3.5 year old and are happy with it and no complaints, hence the 5 stars.

Our daughter does have Eczema but this hypo-allergenic moisturizing wash does not irritate or cause any issues for her at all.

We also like the smell (though it still says it is hypo-allergenic), so it is not fragrance free - but we are okay with that. We've noticed no issues as a result of the fragrance.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20