Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Halloween
Profile for David The Technically Inclined > Reviews

David The Techni...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David The Technically Inclined RSS Feed (New York, NY)

Taylor Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer
Taylor Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer
Offered by therapyourself
Price: $16.96
18 used & new from $13.06

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea -- works really badly, July 15, 2012
Ditto to what everyone else says. Double ditto. I can't believe I bought this at a store and spent the full MSRP of about $20 on it. Also got the one that is not wireless (the 1522), on which the display is going after less than a year.
But this one -- the wire to the outside probe stopped working after a few months. Monitor said "LINE" for outdoor temp. Called, got a nice person who told me the wire was broken and sent me a new one.
STILL -- the remote unit that has the wire/probe attached and sends the wireless signals -- really made badly and just STOPS WORKING AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!! To check the batteries or change the channel (1,2 or 3) or to press the RESET or TX (transmit) button you have to remove 4 tiny phillips head screws -- impossible! Then it stops transmitting and maybe starts again. Now, less than a year later, it's just dead. Very poorly made.
For just $10 I'd say, OK, you get what you pay for. For the Amazon $15 price -- not worth it. For the $21 I spent -- definitely a waste. Just the TIME spent trying to get it up and running over and over has been worth 10 times what it cost. I just wrote to them. They should refund me, I hope, or replace it with a better model. It's a good company that's been making good measurement equipment for many years, but their lower end products seem to be procured from someone's garage in another country.
DO NOT waste your time or money on this. Get a good one.

Bayco NSP-1136 Night Stick Flashlight, Soft Touch
Bayco NSP-1136 Night Stick Flashlight, Soft Touch
Price: $20.52
20 used & new from $15.51

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST FLASHLIGHT COMPANY AROUND, June 3, 2012
Got one of these at a Rite Aid store that had one on the shelf by accident -- they do not carry it! Fantastic flashlight, made with the best LEDs. Two of these, turned on in both directions (the side and the end) will fully illuminate an entire room for several hours during a power failure. Couldn't find another at other stores. Looked up the company. They specialize in those huge lights that illuminate highway construction sites so the millions of dollars worth of heavy equipment doesn't get stolen at night. They know their stuff. But I couldn't find another store with the flashlights. (They make many models -- the rechargeable one is great for the car.) Contacted the company via their web site for help, told them how great this product is, and received a package from a vice president containing a personal letter with links for buying them, and a free extra flashlight as their token of appreciation. I probably have 4 of the black ones, one of the yellows and the larger, rechargeable model (recharges in both home and car outlets). As a flashlight freak, I fully endorse this as the best all-around flashlight. Easy to carry, light, very durable, incredibly efficient LEDs that put out LOTS of light and draw minimal current. Have not replaced any of the batteries yet.
I could not recommend it more highly.

Me Talk Pretty One Day
Me Talk Pretty One Day
by David Sedaris
Price: $10.43
1091 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars IF IT'S BY DAVID SEDARIS, YOU'LL LIKE IT., June 3, 2012
This review is from: Me Talk Pretty One Day (Paperback)
What is there to say? If you like David Sedaris, you'll like this book. I first discovered him many moons ago, the first time he read "Santa Land Diaries" on public radio's "This American Life". When it was re-broadcast I recorded it, and I still have that cassette tape. Played that for my daughter, who then read the story. She knows it by heart. I even photocopied that story from the book "Barrel Fever" and used it in a high school English class I was teaching.
When I recently noticed that "Me Talk Pretty One Day" is the only Sedaris book we do not own, so I got a paperback on Amazon, then noticed a hard cover 1st edition that had been in my "save for later" basket and immediately got that as well at its original, much lower price, which had been saved in my basket. (Discovered on arrival that the book itself is 1st edition, but the dust cover is new -- but it doesn't matter, as I'm not a "collector". Both are in mint condition. This was in great condition too.)
This is not the only Sedaris book of which we have two copies, either on purpose or by accident. They're worth having, giving, lending.
Then, after buying this one and looking it over briefly, I realized I had read it before. Must have taken it out of the library many years ago. But it's just as good now as before. Maybe better.
Hey, what else is there to say? If you like David Sedaris' stories and essays you will enjoy this book. 20 years ago, listening to audio tapes of a different one in the car (Sedaris reading, of course), during one story we had to pull over to the side of the road because I was laughing so hard. Seriously.
I encourage all who read this review (what a ridiculous thing to write -- a REVIEW!) to buy this and his other books as well. You will love them.
And I hope his father, Lou, is reading this, as he calculates the grains of sand on the beach with a stick and many equations. (Inside joke -- you have to read the book.)

Offered by High Plains Prospectors
Price: $13.49

5.0 out of 5 stars We'll never lose those little things again, July 5, 2011
Not much to say except it telescopes out to a good length, it's physically very strong (won't bend unless you really abuse it) and picks up heavy things with ease, the handle has a very comfortable, maneuverable grip, and it closes up to a very small size for storage. Just keep it FAR from your credit cards and hard drive!

EatSmart Digital Bathroom Scale w/ Extra Large Backlit 3.5" Display and "Step-On" Technology, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Best digital bathroom scale I've seen, July 5, 2011
We had an old, early digital Health-O-Meter for almost 10 years. Very nice, but no way to replace the battery. My original Health-O-Meter, a large, cast iron, 80-year-old original with nothing but solid metal and levers -- no springs at all -- is still in use and the standard of accuracy. Even the people at the company told me there's nothing like it. It would cost hundreds to produce one like it. Still, some people here like something smaller and lighter, but want accuracy. This EatSmart Digital scale is great. It has FOUR weight sensors, one in each of the feet, and an electronic system that won't give you a readout until they've stabilized. It re-calibrates and zeros automatically when moved, detecting the difference from the previous horizontal position. The 3.5" display is wonderfully visible. It is very attractive. It reads the exact same weight as my 80-year-old, irreplaceable, professional quality standard of accuracy, and replacing the batteries will be a breeze, when this is needed, which probably won't be for several years. Highly recommended.

Clarks Men's Bushacre 2 Boot,Sand Suede,8.5 M US
Clarks Men's Bushacre 2 Boot,Sand Suede,8.5 M US
Price: $80.40
6 used & new from $77.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Only difference is the sole, April 17, 2011
The only difference between this and the standard Clark's Desert boot is the slight difference in the choice of colors and the fact that this has a synthetic sole (and a very durable one) rather than the natural crepe sole. I sprayed waterproofing silicone on it before the winter (the dirtiest, messiest NYC winter in my 50-year memory), and this did not change the color at all, but at the end of the winter the boots were completely unscathed by the snow and ice the city failed to clear (little kids were trying to help the city's snow-plows!). No slipping or sliding, no water ever touched my socks, my feet were warmer than one would expect, and they cleaned off easily. The laces started giving out after all that heavy use, but for $2 they're easily replaced.
The other on-line shoe place has all the models, and I have 2 of those other Clark's Desert Boots as well.
If it's a Clark's Desert Boot, I'd say you can't go wrong.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2012 2:16 PM PST