Industrial Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now Tikes
Profile for S. Swan > Reviews

S. Swan's Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Swan RSS Feed (Minneapolis, MN)

Amazon FreeTime Kid-Proof Case for Fire HD 7, Green
Amazon FreeTime Kid-Proof Case for Fire HD 7, Green
Price: $12.50
4 used & new from $11.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged case for young children, September 8, 2015
We've had this case for several months, and after many drops by a five year old and banging from a toddler, theKindle remains in perfect condition. Would recommend.

Smith Tea, Brahmin Assam & Ceylon, 15-Count
Smith Tea, Brahmin Assam & Ceylon, 15-Count
Offered by Etailz
Price: $11.72
34 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars and it has since become my favorite everyday morning tea, July 21, 2014
My first sampling of this black tea was at the Natural Products Expo in California a few years ago, and it has since become my favorite everyday morning tea. It is a masterly-crafted blend of teas from India and China, and is subtly more complex than your average breakfast blend. I prefer to brew mine for 4 minutes, and find it robust enough to add cream, and only slightly tannic (for less tannic/bitter, brew for 3.5 minutes).

I work in the natural products industry and first met Steven Smith when he was with Tazo. I find him to be incredibly passionate about tea, especially tea sourcing and quality. He has vast knowledge about all aspects related to tea, and he is generous in sharing that knowledge with others in a humble way. This blend clearly shows a sophistication that's developed from years of tea making.

Rainbow Light Prenatal 35 Plus Multi-Vitamin, 30 Count
Rainbow Light Prenatal 35 Plus Multi-Vitamin, 30 Count
Offered by shopme
Price: Click here to see our price
40 used & new from $9.32

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Prenatal, March 25, 2014
I've worked in the natural foods and supplement industry for over 15 years, and I absolutely love this prenatal.

The high amounts of B vitamins are perfect for addressing issues of low energy, fatigue, and stress that women--particularly those over 35--face in pregnancy. The capsule form is unique in a food-based prenatal, and appreciated. Capsules significantly reduce the vitamin smell (and nausea) that can come with tablets. They are also easy to swallow and quick to digest. 3 capsules daily is great for keeping energy consistent throughout the day because B vitamins are water-soluble, and thus eliminated in the urine quickly.

While Rainbow Light isn't normally my favorite brand, the Rainbow Light Embrace Prenatal has been my favorite multivitamin for my own (over age 35) pregnancy, and was the prenatal I was taking at conception. I've tried New Chapter, MegaFood, and pretty much every premium option available on the market, because the companies constantly send free samples to my office. This is still my favorite.

110 PCs Orbrium Toys Multi-Level Wooden Train Track Expansion Pack with Stackable Track Riser Stabilizers Generic Fits Thomas Brio Chuggington Set
Price: $52.49
2 used & new from $52.49

3.0 out of 5 stars A complete set, but the track quality is poor, December 2, 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This expansion pack has all the essential pieces to create a large variety of different train layouts. The large quantity of 3.5 inch curved pieces is particularly helpful when working on a train table with limited space, and the combination of ascending track, support blocks, and male-to-male and female-to-female adapters makes this expansion truly unique from others I've seen.

While I don't regret purchasing the set for my 2-year-old son, I must say that I am disappointed in the track quality. I'm not a Thomas-purist by any means, but this set of track is the POOREST quality track in our set (including Thomas, Brio, Melissa and Doug, and Maxim). Some pieces had significant "chunks" missing, there was inconsistency in the wood coloring, and many of the the female cut-outs in particular had jagged splinters of wood around the edges. I had to hand-sand about 25% of the track before allowing my son to play with the set. I've NEVER had to do that before with any other brand track!

Quality issues aside, the orange plastic bridge supports have provided hours of play for my son. I don't normally purchase plastic toys for him, so I suppose it only makes sense that those would be his favorite part of the set. He stacks them high on top of each other and fills them with other toys, such as matchbox cars, small blocks, and even Suretrack connectors. He enjoys this activity greatly.

My overall advice:
If you are looking for an inexpensive, all-inclusive set that gives you many fun options right out of the box, then this would be a great starter set. Most kids could care less about quality until they're much older. If YOU care about track craftsmanship or would like to keep your set as an heirloom for extended family or grandchildren, then I'd suggest starting with a smaller, higher-quality set, and expand it slowly through small, meaningful gifts over time. It becomes exciting for the child to get a new and special piece, allows them to learn about constructing layouts at a gradual pace, and it also gives relatives ideas for gifts that they know for sure the child will cherish.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2012 4:51 PM PST

ASICS Women's GEL-1160 Running Shoe
ASICS Women's GEL-1160 Running Shoe

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite running shoe!, March 16, 2011
I've owned a version of this shoe for five years. Every year, the model number increases by 10. For example, my first shoe in this series was the Asics GEL-1110. The 1160 is very similar to my original model, and all of the things that I love about the 1110, 1130, and 1140, I love in the 1160.

First, and most important to me, is this shoe is incredibly lightweight and flexible, while still having adequate support for short and medium length runs (I don't generally run more than 6 miles). I never feel as if my shoe is weighing me down. It is primarily covered with mesh, which is nice if your feet sweat a lot or you happen to run through puddles.

It also has great traction for paved surfaces, and holds up surprisingly well in rougher terrain too. I've actually chosen this shoe over my hiking boots for a few backpacking trips that involved extended walking through streams and rivers or day hikes up peaks that increase altitude quickly such as Mount Shasta, CA and Harney Peak in the Black Hills. The mesh allows the shoe to drain water quickly, and the lightness of the materials are nice when every step of a hike is uphill.

While this shoe isn't great for people that demand lots of gel support or correction from severe pronation, it's a great choice for runners like me that have average arches and neutral to slight pronation. I find the shoe comfortable and a great price for a well-designed running shoe.

Vulli Sophie giraffe in Natural Rubber
Vulli Sophie giraffe in Natural Rubber
Price: $19.99
27 used & new from $16.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another positive review, January 8, 2011
I thought this was an over-priced teether, but my friends swore it is worth it....and turns out, it is. My son loves to hold and chew on Sophie. It is the perfect size, weight, texture, and it's easy for him to hold on to. I'm sure he'll play with the giraffe for years to come. This was a great gift!

Belkin F4U006-RED 4 Port Travel USB Hub in Red
Belkin F4U006-RED 4 Port Travel USB Hub in Red
Offered by Appertronics
Price: $10.00
5 used & new from $7.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, but poor design., January 22, 2010
The Belkin F4U006 4 Port Travel USB Hub does work. I used 3 ports for a USB jump drive, media card reader, wireless mouse, and the last port connected my Macbook Pro to an external monitor. All worked properly.

The hub has a few design flaws, however. The cable that plugs into the laptop is at a 90 degree angle from the USB connection, which limits the port I can use to plug it into on my laptop (otherwise the cable blocks my computer's other USB port or the DisplayPort). This then forces the hub to be positioned upside down, showing the product ID number, a screw, Made in China, etc., which is not visually appealing.

In addition to the poor design from the cable angle, the metallic red color pictured was not accurate. It is more of a metallic cranberry color, which makes a difference to me because it doesn't match my metallic red phone. I have professional monitor calibration hardware, so I know my monitor is correctly viewing the photo provided by Amazon.

I still give the product 3 stars because it works, and I will probably use it, but if I had another chance to purchase a product, I would buy the Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub F5U407 instead.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2012 10:32 PM PDT

Ensign Peak Insulated Cooler Bag
Ensign Peak Insulated Cooler Bag

3.0 out of 5 stars Red Color is Actually Maroon, October 13, 2009
I ordered this lunchbox in red, but the color I received was actually a dark maroon.

Other than color, the lunchbox is great. It's easy to clean, made of durable material, and it's large. For example, it can hold 2 small tupperware containers for soup and sandwich, a yogurt, bags of carrots, celery, nuts, and a small apple. The extra pocket is nice for holding napkins, silverware, and condiment packets.

Unfortunately, my boyfriend will be the primary user of the lunchbox, because the maroon color does not look good with my red coat.

Logitech Classic Keyboard 200 USB
Logitech Classic Keyboard 200 USB
16 used & new from $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Adequate Replacement for Apple Keyboard, October 12, 2009
I am quite pleased with this keyboard purchase. My former Apple keyboard malfunctioned after light cleaning with a damp cloth, and I decided the Logitech Classic Keyboard 200 USB would be a cheaper and safer alternative, considering I frequently eat and drink at the computer.

The overall design of the Classic Keyboard is minimal and sleek, and the matte/shiny black combo looks nice with the LaCie 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive, Designed by Neil Poulton 301304U, and my Marantz reciever. I'm a bit snobby about how my gear looks, and I was relieved that this inexpensive keyboard doesn't look cheap.

As for functionality, I'm mostly satisfied. Taking the advise of another reviewer, I immediately downloaded the Logitech Control Center for Macintosh ([...]) for keyboard shortcut functionality, and the driver worked perfectly. Besides gaining functionality over basic command functions, the F9-12 keys worked to access Expose and the Dashboard. There are some glitches (such as Shift-Command-Delete opening a box to Clear Private Data instead of Emptying the Trash), and all Option shortcuts are lost, but I rarely use those shortcuts anyway.

After reading other reviews, I was initially concerned about the unique placement of the middle patch keys (delete, insert, home, end), but I actually like the new arrangement better. The Delete key is closer to Enter, and easier to reach. The lower placement of the arrow keys, however, is inconvenient and will take some adjustment. All of the keys are placed closer together than I'm used to, but I have small fingers and appreciate this.

I only have 2 negatives: the keys are somewhat loud when typing, and I miss the volume control keys from my Apple.

Calvin Klein Women's Perfectly Fit T-Shirt Bra #F2540
Calvin Klein Women's Perfectly Fit T-Shirt Bra #F2540

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Bra for A Cup, September 5, 2009
I've been wearing this bra for 2 years now, and it is the best fit for an A cup size that I've found. It gives great support, and the light padding shapes the breasts well under any top, blouse, t-shirt, or sweater that I wear--without looking like I'm wearing a ridiculously padded bra (like most A cup bras). The underwire has kept its shape over time without warping, which says a lot for the bra considering my usual place for it is on the floor in my bedroom! I highly recommend this bra. I bought both light and dark colors so I can wear it almost every day.