Profile for hawthorne wood > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 278

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

hawthorne wood "hawthorne wood" RSS Feed (santa fe, new mexico)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Boston Girl: A Novel
The Boston Girl: A Novel
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars As bland as a bowl of vanilla pudding..., January 13, 2015
I have loved many of Anita Diamant's works, so I was particularly excited about this one. Adding to the excitement: I grew up a Jewish Boston Girl myself, years later than the protagonist, but also from an immigrant family, full of colorful characters. And therein lies the rub. See? I can throw cliches around as well as the narrator, because that's the thing about New England Jews...and Stephen King. We are steeped in verbal claptrap, "nice" kidding around, cute New England sayings and in this case Yiddishisms, platitudes and skim-the-surface humor meant to placate, punctuated by sighs and oi veys (at least she left out the latter). I loved my family as the narrator of this little bromide loves hers, but after twenty years at their knees I escaped, much to their surprise and consternation. Why? I got bored by the same old same old cute stories. As a child they were comforting (as is this sweet little book) but as an adult reader and writer I needed more nourishing fare and realized that only from a distance would I be able to grasp the true story, the one with "real" drama. Get the CD, read by Linda Lavin. If you're Jewish, her voice will crack you up.

Lovely, Dark, Deep: Stories
Lovely, Dark, Deep: Stories
by Joyce Carol Oates
Price: $19.70
105 used & new from $8.57

5.0 out of 5 stars How I love this writer, January 3, 2015
How I love this writer. This is some of her best, the most graceful, biting, sharp, charming, funny, horrible prose of her career, I believe (but then, I say that about every new JCO book). I particularly adored the story about Robert Frost: shocking!!!!!!! And "Patricide" could be about any of our great male novelists with their scandalous love lives and tormented families. Dear Joyce: just keep writing and I will keep reading late, late into the night...anyway, this one was as delicious as a lovely, dark, deep cup of cocoa!!!! I am your Devoted Fan!!!!!!

Waiting to Be Heard: A Memoir
Waiting to Be Heard: A Memoir
by Amanda Knox
Price: $19.30
261 used & new from $0.23

5.0 out of 5 stars There goes my Italian vacation..., November 24, 2013
I have wanted to see Italy my whole life. I've traveled, but never made it there. I'm an artist and I think I was savoring a future trip, when I could have several weeks to drink in everything I've dreamed of seeing in person. But absolutely - I will NOT go to Italy now. It's as much a boycott as any other reason on my part, after reading this terrifying and clear-sighted depiction of a young and (unfortunately) beautiful young woman's descent into Hell - or, as we know it now, the Italian (so-called) judicial system. Ugh. I am just so happy that Amanda is back at home with her family and obviously still the lovely person she always was. Congratulations to the author on a well-written and thoroughly convincing story of innocence lost...and found on these pages. P.S. As for the comment about Amanda using her nightmare tale to jump-start a writing career, all I could think of while reading it was: Good for her! She has reclaimed her dignity and her right to be a successful person with this creative project. I look forward to hearing more from her. As for the other comment by the reviewer who said "I would not want to be remembered for this." What should she do? Hide herself away instead of clearing her good name? From the reviews here it is obvious that she will be remembered with compassion and acceptance, and so many literate, serious voices responding in this way make it clear that she is, indeed, regarded as innocent of the false charges against her.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2013 2:42 PM PST

A Delicate Truth
A Delicate Truth
by John le Carré
289 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Clunk. Thud., July 18, 2013
This review is from: A Delicate Truth (Hardcover)
That's me dropping the book...I forget, because I fell asleep so many times reading just a few pages and each time I awoke I found the book on the floor. Listen, every book by a serious writer is a labor of love. Dickens said that true love is "always returned." Sadly, this book did not love the author back. It made my mouth pucker...as if I'd been sucking on lemons. I don't care what JLC's politics are, that didn't bother me particularly. All I care about is a well-written book with great characters. As in "The Perfect Spy." Or "Tinker, Tailor" et al. The guy is one of my favorite writers. So imagine my disappointment when, salivating, I began this book (which began well enough, by the way...good opening) and slowly found myself snoozing away, wondering whether continuing to read would be a good use of my time. Well, I didn't. Think so. There was something ickily sentimental going on here...sort of precious. I can't stand when I am thumped over the head with the characters' "nobility." In "The Perfect Spy" and other novels by this great writer one fell in love with hugely flawed, questionable characters. Yup, that's the problem here, pure and simple. I felt Kip was going to be one of those wonderful Le Carre people, but it was not to be. By the end, everyone was insufferably "good." Still, I soldiered on to the bitter end, which I was so relieved finally came.

SESSIONS of a Sex Surrogate (Sexual Healing Guides Book 5)
SESSIONS of a Sex Surrogate (Sexual Healing Guides Book 5)
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, Joanne Ferro!, July 5, 2013
Just wanted to offer my appreciation to the courageous Joanne Ferro for writing a fascinating,revealing, and honest book on a controversial subject. Her work in the field of male sexual dysfunction is so necessary for those who suffer. She is brave to bring her story - and the story of men suffering from the agony of sexual dysfunction - to light. I can see, just from this review site, that there are men who are probably so ashamed of their own sexual problems (and may be sexually addicted) that they associate the legitimate and necessary career of sexual surrogacy with prostitution. Well, perhaps, having read or known about her books, they will one day have a true understanding of their problems and find some relief with the help of sex therapists and the giving, humane sex surrogates who work with them. Bravo, Joanne! You are a hero to me!

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn
Price: $14.09
435 used & new from $2.05

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan., July 5, 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Hardcover)
Snarky and cynical throughout. Left me feeling awful. Unlikeable, nasty characters, lacks nobility. Do not recommend unless you enjoy being depressed.

All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes by
All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes by
by John Farris
2 used & new from $18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Scariest opening of any horror story, ever!, June 26, 2013
I don't care if the story becomes disjointed and doesn't live up to its opening scene. That scene alone was worth gold to me, as a writer. I have read it again and again in my lifetime. It's like a nightmare you never forget, and every time it comes to mind you get goosebumps. I vowed from the first reading of the book to try and make everything I wrote vivid and haunting.

Some of Your Blood
Some of Your Blood
by Theodore Sturgeon
20 used & new from $44.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Briiliantly unique, so rare., June 5, 2013
This review is from: Some of Your Blood (Paperback)
This book influenced me as a writer. I have just read it and find myself eager to make my own work as unique as possible. I'm writing a book about a psychopath and I want my readers to say "Wow!" just as I did throughout this strange and miraculous work of creepy, brilliant fiction. It was so horrifying that I found myself checking my doors more than once before going to sleep. It sort of gets under your skin. I have to ask myself why I'm so drawn to the dark side...

Dare Me: A Novel
Dare Me: A Novel
by Megan E. Abbott
86 used & new from $1.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb. Mean girls for real..., May 16, 2013
This review is from: Dare Me: A Novel (Hardcover)
Basically, this is a book about a girl gang - or as some of us know them - "cheerleaders." They're as tough as nails and nearly without mercy with everyone - and each other. There's even cheerleading (gang) jargon. They're "foxes,"and they know it. The book reads as driven, relentless and hard as these little biatches. For awhile I read it hoping to find out whodunnit, but as time went on I didn't care. The antics of these hotties was more than enough to keep me interested. Excellent writing!

She Matters: A Life in Friendships
She Matters: A Life in Friendships
by Susanna Sonnenberg
175 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo. A brave work of art and love., May 5, 2013
Best book of feminist writing I've come across since the eighties. She isn't afraid to deal with the "love affairs" that women have with their friends: the good, the bad and the ugly, often influenced by relationships with difficult mothers. We need each other so badly - but we are damaged with early childhood scars from other "girls interrupted" - our mothers. This leads to an impossible quest for the "perfect" mothers/nurturers in our friends, and dysfunctional, truncated relationships that can end as badly as any discordant love affairs with men. This is truly a brave work by a talented writer. I listened to her read her book on CD - fantastic. I loved her clear, "real" voice. Often, I wept, thinking of my own broken friendships from the past and some that are unraveling now. How to heal these broken, unspoken vows? The author tries her best to make sense of it all and is courageous in confronting friends about facing the issues between them. However, this is a problem so little spoken of that many women are still in denial about it, and often throw each other away on a spiteful whim, tragically severing bonds that could last and give comfort into old age, with a little more tolerance and open communication. "The love that dares not speak its name" - not just about homosexual love, but also the love between heterosexuals that runs up against walls yet to be defined. At least, until now. Susanna Sonnenberg has done so with this book, and for that we should all be grateful.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20