Profile for Chuck Matthews > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chuck Matthews RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Oneida Molded DIY Dust Deputy Cyclone
Oneida Molded DIY Dust Deputy Cyclone
Offered by The Tool Nut
Price: $49.99
3 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Dust Deputy is the real deal, January 9, 2013
I am in the middle of a restoration project that requires cleaning rusty parts in a sand blasting cabinet. During the blasting process a lot of really fine dust is produced and handling that dust is a real chore. The blast cabinet has a dust collector on it but it only takes about 15 minutes for the filter bag to get totally "caked" with the fine dust from the blast media as it wears down. Once the bag is caked with dust, I have to stop what I'm doing, shut down everything, disassemble the vac, remove the bag, go outside to shake out the bag, come in, reassemble the vac and pick up where I left off. Total cleaning time is about 5 minutes for every 15 or so minutes of blasting. It's a real time waster and there had to be a better solution. Enter the Oneida Dust Deputy....

I installed my DD into the lid of a 30 gallon plastic drum to get past the top heavy and tippy five gallon bucket problem. Space isn't really an issue and it's not intended to be portable, so the larger size of the drum is no problem for me. It took about 30 minutes to get it all set up and then I had to try it out right away, even before the silicone I used had cured.

First off I did a real thorough cleaning of the vac/separator so it was as clean as I could get it. I then hooked up the hoses to the DD and grabbed a rusty spring hanger and headed to the blaster. I proceeded to blast away the rust and watched as the cabinet dust swirled around the inside of DD unit like a mini tornado. When I was through blasting the hanger, I shut off everything and popped the lid off of the drum and there was a good bit of dust on the bottom of the drum. I then took apart the vac/separator and it was totally empty!! I mean I couldn't see anything in there. When I wiped my finger across the side of the canister all there was was a little dust residue on my finger. WOW!!! Now for a real test.

I grabbed a whole bunch of other brackets and hardware and started blasting away. Total blast time was about 45 minutes which would have meant 2 or 3 filter cleanings of the caked vac bag if I didn't have the DD installed. When I finished, I again popped the lid off of the drum and there were several pounds of fine glass bead and rust dust in the bottom and once again the vac was empty. I'm totally blown away. This thing works like in the videos.

My total cost was about $90 once I consider the cost of my barrel but with the increased productivity and reduced hassle of bag cleaning, the little DD will "pay for itself" in just one weekend of work.

Wishes...
I wish they offered different sizes for different size hoses. The standard 2 1/4" shop vac hoses don't always fit perfectly, but regardless of that, this little piece of plastic that cost about $5.00 to make will make my life a whole lot easier. I'm sold.

Capresso 46405 464.05 Coffeeteam Gs 10-cup Digital Coffeemaker With Conical Burr Grinder Plus Two (2) Coffee Mugs

1.0 out of 5 stars Caution - Burrs not Accessible for Cleaning or Service, July 18, 2010
For some reason Capresso has decided to make all of their all-in-one grinder / brewers with the burr grinders locked away inside where they can not be cleaned, inspected and replaced when needed.

We own a different Capresso CoffeeTeam Grinder / Brewer that uses the same burr set up and finally found all of the hidden screws to remove to allow thorough cleaning of the grinder. The hardest part is figuring out how to dismantle their puzzle. Unfortunately Capresso has also decided to refuse to sell parts for the machine, except for items such as lids and carafes.

Recently our coffee seemed weak. I had just totally cleaned both burrs and everything was as clean as new. I found the problem to be dull burrs which slowed down the grind speed producing less coffee grounds and thus weak coffee. I replaced the burrs with a set from our Capresso 560 grinder and now we've got full strength coffee again.

The problem I now face is that Capresso REFUSES to sell the lower burr, the one that is the dullest. They consider this an internal part. I now have a useless $80 grinder that I sacrificed to save a $300 coffee maker.

I have called Capresso several times trying to find a way to buy a complete burr set and was appalled by the attitude, arrogance and rudeness of the people on the phone that got incensed when I did not happily accept their answer "We do not sell internal parts." They were not helpful at all and worse yet, did not seem to care. I don't think they do, at least not the people I could get in contact with.

No Title Available

We own this very same Capresso Grinder / Brewer and finally found all of the hidden screws to remove to allow thorough cleaning of the grinder. The hardest part is figuring out how to dismantle their puzzle. Unfortunately Capresso has also decided to refuse to sell parts for the machine, except for items such as lids and carafes.

The problem I now face is that Capresso REFUSES to sell the lower burr, the one that is the dullest. They consider this an internal part. I now have a useless $80 grinder that I sacrificed to save a $200 coffee maker.

Capresso CoffeeTeam Therm Coffee Machine w/grinder
Capresso CoffeeTeam Therm Coffee Machine w/grinder

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2010 2:17 PM PDT

Capresso 455 CoffeeTEAM Therm Stainless Coffeemaker/Burr Grinder Combination
Capresso 455 CoffeeTEAM Therm Stainless Coffeemaker/Burr Grinder Combination

Capresso, very disappointing to deal with.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2010 10:04 AM PDT

Capresso 464.05 CoffeeTeam GS 10-Cup Digital Coffeemaker with Conical Burr Grinder
Price: $189.99
33 used & new from $152.63

We own another Capresso Grinder / Brewer and finally found all of the hidden screws to remove to allow thorough cleaning of the grinder. The hardest part is figuring out how to dismantle their puzzle. Unfortunately Capresso has also decided to refuse to sell parts for the machine, except for items such as lids and carafes.

When the burrs dull, and they will with regular use, you can either send the unit in for their expensive service or throw it away and buy another one.

A quality grinder has replaceable burrs. Capresso grinders do not.

Capresso 465 CoffeeTeam TS 10-Cup Digital Coffeemaker with Conical Burr Grinder and Thermal Carafe
Price: $199.95
23 used & new from $165.00

A quality grinder has replaceable burrs. Capresso grinders do not.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2011 9:44 AM PST

Capresso Stainless Steel Finish Infinity Burr Grinder
Capresso Stainless Steel Finish Infinity Burr Grinder

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Grinder - Burrs Not Replaceable, July 18, 2010
All of Capresso's grinders are good grinders and do a great job, until the burrs dull, then you're out of luck.

Capresso refuses to sell anything but the upper burr ring. They will not sell the lower burr. When your burrs dull, you have no option but to throw the grinder away. Capresso may have a refurbed unit to sell you but their price is about what they go for new.

Just be warned that a normally replaceable part is not replaceable part on any of Capresso's burr grinders. The saddest part is that there is no reason to not sell the lower burr, except to force you to buy a new grinder.

Capresso 560 Infinity Conical Burr Grinder, Brushed Silver, 8.5-Ounce