Profile for Magda S. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 118

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Magda S. RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Replesta NX Vitamin Supplement, 8 Count
Replesta NX Vitamin Supplement, 8 Count
Offered by The Healthy Habit - Vitamins, Books & More
Price: $21.50
9 used & new from $19.71

5.0 out of 5 stars It works amazingly well, March 25, 2015
If you have an issue with Vitamin D levels or just don't like taking supplements every day, this is for you. I had insanely low D levels a couple of years ago and started taking this in the winter. It works amazingly well and I love that it only needs to be taken once a week.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
by Marie Kondō
Price: $10.19
118 used & new from $8.10

2.0 out of 5 stars What a silly book!, March 25, 2015
What a silly book. I can't believe it's such a big best seller. The incessant use of the word "tidying" (not even "tidying up") is annoying, and as other negative reviews stated, it gets repetitive; a long article would have been sufficient. Instead of being helpful about organizing one's papers, she suggests just throwing most of them away. Depending on how you make a living, or if you're self-employed, we can't all do that. Or shouldn't.

The idea of organizing by category rather than by room is intriguing, and for that I give it two stars. But I'm glad I borrowed it from the library, I would have felt foolish had I bought it.

Click Millionaires: Work Less, Live More with an Internet Business You Love
Click Millionaires: Work Less, Live More with an Internet Business You Love
by Scott C. Fox
Price: $14.50
55 used & new from $9.50

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't get all the 5-Star reviews. The guy ..., March 25, 2015
I don't get all the 5-Star reviews. The guy must have a lot of friends! If you want a basic guide to how to start a web site or blog, do social media, etc. it's decent enough. But how to become a "click millionaire" let alone a "thousandaire"? Very little information or examples.

Begin Again
Begin Again
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A fair to middling film, March 16, 2015
This review is from: Begin Again (Amazon Instant Video)
This was just OK. I didn't enjoy Keira Knightly's wispy voice, and the plot was implausible when it wasn't completely predictable. I really liked the rock star boyfriend's voice, however. Not much to say other than I'm surprised by all the 5-star reviews. It's a middling film and very watchable, but not that stellar!

Le Week-End [HD]
Le Week-End [HD]
Price: $14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars I just couldn't stick with it. Watching paint dry with dull characters., March 12, 2015
I just couldn't stick with it. Watching paint dry with dull characters. It's a shame, as Paris is a favorite place ...

Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned"
Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned"
by Lena Dunham
Price: $16.80
174 used & new from $11.87

1.0 out of 5 stars How far our culture has fallen ..., November 15, 2014
Due to all the publicity and controversy, I sat down and read most of this lightweight book in a bookstore. All I can say is, how sad that our culture has fallen so low as to worship a "girl" like this. Twenty-eight? Big deal. Carson McCullers wrote The Heart is a Lonely Hunter at age 23; Mary Shelly wrote Frankenstein at 19; and the Brontë sisters wrote their epic masterworks before age 30. If you want to read about annoying narcissists, but in much richer and insightful English, read Wuthering Heights.

Most people's initial sexual feelings and experiences are confusing, and sometimes awkward. Lena throws "creepy" into the mix and makes it seem like everyone should be interested in hers. She courts controversy by getting naked a lot on her annoying and creepy show, Girls, and then feels like she has to justify it.

Bottom line, this is a lightweight thinker, a mediocre writer, and a pretty terrible book. If you're curious, do what I did and read it in a bookstore. You'll save money and aggravation.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2015 3:08 PM PST

Girls: Season 2
Girls: Season 2
Price: $18.99

1.0 out of 5 stars The so-called brilliant "writing" devolved to sophomoric, September 29, 2014
Since Girls is such a cultural phenomenon, I decided to give it a try. Season 1 was offbeat and fairly entertaining. I got hooked on it despite not loving the characters, which is probably one of the points. But to me, season 2 is a disaster! I got through 4 episodes and had enough. All the characters seem a bit creepier, and the situations unrealistic and sometimes disturbing. The one with the cocaine and mesh shirt and the junkie ... just ugh! Enough! The so-called brilliant "writing" devolved to sophomoric, too.

Your Symptoms Are Real: What to Do When Your Doctor Says Nothing Is Wrong
Your Symptoms Are Real: What to Do When Your Doctor Says Nothing Is Wrong
by Benjamin H. Natelson
Price: $27.14
63 used & new from $0.14

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine exploration of chronic fatigue, August 27, 2014
A fine exploration of chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, and their relationship to depression and other co-morbid conditions, by a noted practitioner who is knowledgable and compassionate. Well written, and gives many paths to follow.

Still Life with Bread Crumbs: A Novel
Still Life with Bread Crumbs: A Novel
by Anna Quindlen
Price: $19.18
336 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars UGH!!, August 27, 2014
I'm so grateful that I borrowed this from the library, otherwise, I'd be kicking myself. It's the old "privileged white woman experiences a downfall and then rediscovers herself" trope, which was perfected by talented novelists like Edith Wharton (The House of Mirth, minus the rediscovery) and others, and has been devolving into cliché ever since.

The writing is pedestrian, the plot, such as it were, hard to follow, the characters are stereotypes. I can't stand it when noted authors churn out drivel and it winds up on the bestseller list due merely to name recognition. I scratched and clawed my way to about a third of the book on the recommendation of a friend, but life is too short and there are too many other good books to read.

Tim's Vermeer
Tim's Vermeer

2.0 out of 5 stars Watching paint dry -- literally!, July 26, 2014
It started with an interesting premise, but quickly deteriorated. This film could have been quite fascinating if it had woven in more background about Vermeer and other artists of that era. Instead, it focused on the technical aspects of how Vermeer paintings might have been created. That artists of that age used the camera obscura and other such tools is something I learned in Art History 101 back in the 1970s. They had their tools, we have ours; big deal.

Instead, most of the last part of this short film was dedicated to watching Tim apply tiny brushstrokes to his canvas and blather on about how bored he was with the process. Really? No one forced him to do this experiment; it was his own idea. I fought the urge to take a nap.

I really don't get the hype and high praise. This is not a well done documentary. Also, Penn and Teller, who are involved with this film, aren't the most credible guys on earth.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2014 11:14 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12