Profile for momof2allergickids > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

"momof2allergickids" RSS Feed (Decatur, TX United States)

The Peanut Allergy Answer Book
The Peanut Allergy Answer Book
by Michael C. Young
89 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY! A comprehensive, easy to read book on PA!, June 3, 2001
This book is for those affected in some way or another by the peanut allergy, as well as for those who just want to "know what all the fuss is about". A definite must-read! If you, your child, or someone close to you has just been diagnosed with a peanut allergy and you want to know more, but don't know where to start...here's your answer. If your wondering why your child is no longer allowed to take peanut butter treats to school...this book will open your eyes to the world "the other mother" lives in.
The book is an easy read. The format is very reader-friendly and the vast array of information is presented in easily understood ways. With this book you can not only learn how and why a food allergy happens, but also how to prevent and treat possible reactions. You'll learn what it is in the peanut that is responsible for causing peanut allergies. You'll even learn some interesting facts on the peanut's product history, both as a delicious and useful (in many ways) product, and it's history in medicene, as a potentially deadly poison to those who are allergic to it.
I think the best thing about this book is that it covers more areas than the ones listed above. While those are all very important to cover, you can generally find that kind of information elsewhere. What you generally can't find are books discussing the emotional and pyschological aspects of a peanut allergy. Things like what to do if your child is being threatened with a peanut-butter and jelly sandwhich at school. And what about eating out and flying? How do you handle those with a peanut allergy? What are the latest developments in the research field? Is there any hope for a cure? All of THESE questions are answered as well.
This is an absolutely wonderful book, and I want to personally thank the author, Dr. Michael Young, for his efforts in getting this kind of information out. Not only to those of us in the peanut allergic community, but to the general public, as well. The need for a book such as this has been great for a long time. I, for one, am grateful that it's been filled!
It is my hope that this book will not only help many, many others who are dealing with the peanut allergy, but will also help to educate the general public and let them take a peek into our world. In doing so, maybe some of the preconceived notions that we, as mothers of severely peanut allergic children (mine is a delightful 2yo little boy), are "overprotective, hysterical, and paranoid", can be changed, taking at least a little of the stress involved with managing a peanut allergy off our shoulders.

What's to Eat? The Milk-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free Food Allergy Cookbook
What's to Eat? The Milk-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free Food Allergy Cookbook
by Linda Marienhoff Coss
Price: $14.07
92 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars AH! Real food again!!, May 29, 2001
I'm a mom of two kids with food allergies. Milk, Egg, and Nuts really only scratch the surface, but finding recipes for tasty meals without even these three is difficult. This cookbook has definently been worth the money I paid for it! There are some recipes that I won't be able to try due to the other allergies we are managing, but of the several that I have tried so far (and more planned!), ALL have been huge successes..including the two dishes I prepared for dinner tonight! Not only do the finished products taste, smell, and look wonderful, but most of the recipes require very little time in the kitchen. Since my children are both toddlers, this is a much welcomed bonus! My kids are the typical picky-eaters, as well, and they've begged for seconds and thirds of most everything I've cooked using this book. I find myself cooking out of this cookbook more and more. Every recipe I've tried has fueled my excitement about trying others found in this cookbook. I HIGHLY recommended this book for everyone, but especially those managing milk, egg, or nut allergies!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2010 6:06 AM PDT