Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Biz Markie > Reviews

Browse

Biz Markie's Profile

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Biz Markie RSS Feed (Tennessee)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Pickle Pebbles PLUS - Glass Fermentation Weights - WIDE MOUTH - 4 Pack
Pickle Pebbles PLUS - Glass Fermentation Weights - WIDE MOUTH - 4 Pack
Offered by Genuine Essentials
Price: $29.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as Advertised, June 26, 2016
Was thrilled to find food-safe, glass weights at an affordable price. My only complaint is that they're quite thick...thicker than I expected. So they take up a fair amount of room in the jar. However, obviously this allows them to have sufficient weight to do their job, and it's not really that big of a deal.
Bottom line - you can't go wrong with these weights.

ABN Toyota / Lexus 6 - 8 Cylinder Oil Filter Wrench
ABN Toyota / Lexus 6 - 8 Cylinder Oil Filter Wrench
Offered by Tool Deals
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Steer Clear of this, June 26, 2016
Buyer beware. Made of very soft metal. I placed it on my 2014 Sienna and attempted to unscrew the filter, which would not budge due to being installed tightly by dealership. I could NOT get the tool off the car because the soft metal conformed to the vehicle. I had to bang it with a hammer over and over, on opposite sides, to get the stupid thing off. The hammer easily dented and chipped the cheap alloy. I have since returned it.

Parafilm® Grafting Tape (Genuine by Parafilm®) 90' Roll Clear (1/2" - Half Inch)
Offered by fanzhut
Price: $2.80

5.0 out of 5 stars First time grafting and the film worked great, just as expected, June 26, 2016
First time grafting and the film worked great, just as expected. A few of my grafts took, which I was really excited about, being a novice. Highly recommend this product for no frills grafting.

Kraut Kaps© 3 Pack - Platinum
Kraut Kaps© 3 Pack - Platinum
Offered by A through Z Deals LLC
Price: $26.15
5 used & new from $22.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, Great Price, June 26, 2016
This review is from: Kraut Kaps© 3 Pack - Platinum
Excellent quality - slightly better than same product i've purchased before on eBay. Definitely recommend - no complaints whatsoever.

Bicycle Thieves
Bicycle Thieves
DVD
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not too shabby..., April 19, 2016
This review is from: Bicycle Thieves (Amazon Video)
I'm not a film critic or even a movie buff. I just like movies that I like.
This one was good but not great. Beautiful scenery, poignant images of the indigent. Good acting from the lead. Bruno, the son, was a treat to watch and intriguing to look at. Story was suspenseful but the ending was a let down.

The Wrong Man
The Wrong Man
DVD
Price: $2.00

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE!, May 5, 2015
This review is from: The Wrong Man (Amazon Video)
This is one of the most boring, plodding, horrible movies I've ever seen - if not THE most.

Epica Homemade Organic "Set and Go" Electric Yogurt Maker with Seven, 6 oz. Dishwasher-Safe Glass Jars and Lids
Offered by Perella's
Price: $25.95
2 used & new from $20.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, May 5, 2015
Our first yogurt maker, and it has worked well so far. My only hesitation is that it seems to get warmer than 110, especially the jar in the center position. I don't think this is necessarily the fault of the maker, I think it's just par for the course in these style machines. It seems reasonably solidly built.
I opted for this machine over the Eurocuisine because of the easier-to-clean rounded jars. So far I have been pleased with this machine and would definitely recommend it to anyone. We've not had any failed batches after months of use.

Family Ties: Season 6
Family Ties: Season 6
DVD ~ Meredith Baxter
Price: $11.31
21 used & new from $10.37

3.0 out of 5 stars TV Guardian users beware, January 13, 2014
This review is from: Family Ties: Season 6 (DVD)
I think we all know this is a great show. In my opinion, this is one of the better seasons as well, containing probably my all-time favorite episode "The Play's the Thing." Unfortunately for my family, there are quite a few "zingers" in this season when it comes to profanity. (Yes I realize everyone has their own definition of profanity and some folks couldn't care less.)

My lower rating is due to the inexplicable decision of Paramount to remove Closed Captioning from this season (and season 7 by the way). This is bad news for TV-G users because without the Closed Captioning data, the device cannot function.

Seasons 1-5 all contain Closed Captioning programming, so not sure why it was removed now. I contacted Paramount and after dodging my questions, they unapologetically admitted CC was removed and offered no explanation.

Just a heads-up for TV-G users.

The Art of Fermentation: An In-Depth Exploration of Essential Concepts and Processes from around the World
by Sandor Katz
Price: $27.55
121 used & new from $20.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Not at all what I expected or hoped for, March 11, 2013
Disappointed in this book for the most part. I was expecting a how-to book, suitable for novices, with detailed instructions and recipes. That's not what this book is.

It seems to be an attempted compendium of every fermented food in the world. So each food/beverage only gets a little bit of attention and any instructions must be teased-out of the narrative-style text. Major pieces of information are just left out. Should the container be covered or uncovered? etc.

So perhaps if you are experienced in fermenting stuff this book might be a nice supplement.
Giving it at least 3 stars because I was able to glean some information out of it, including successfully starting some Kombucha from scratch and making simple grain ferments.
Perhaps Sandor's earlier "Wild Fermentation" is more what I need.

How to Make Bread
How to Make Bread
by Emmanuel Hadjiandreou
Price: $18.59
69 used & new from $10.52

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool recipes - Not for Beginners, March 2, 2013
This review is from: How to Make Bread (Hardcover)
I've been baking for about 2 years, starting as a complete novice. I've learned most of what I know from Bread Baker's Apprentice and Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads. As such, you will tell that I am inevitably comparing this book to those books.
I bought How to Make Bread based on Breadtopia's recommendation. I was particularly interested in the purported large/good Sourdough section.
I've made 3 recipes from How to Make Bread, so this is somewhat of a preliminary review. Here are my thoughts:

PROS:
- Lots of recipes
- Wide variety of recipes (basic, sourdough, gluten-free, soda breads, pastries)
- beautiful pictures and layout
- fun, international flavor to the book and recipes
- not terribly expensive
- pseudo-no-knead methodology is fun and seems to work well
- sourdough recipes are simple, one-build, using a 100% hydration barm

CONS:
- I would not recommend this book for novices. Get BBA if you are a total beginner. How to Make Bread has extremely limited instructional information, especially as regards to "sourdough" culturing. Most of the book is just recipes.
- Weights are all in Grams (could be an issue for some, but most scales have a metric mode)
- No baker's percentages are given
- No information about total prep time for the recipe (a very nice feature of Reinhart's books)
- Total weight of the recipe is not given. Just phrases like "one large loaf". You can add it up, obviously, but it's really nice to see at a glance the weight of the recipe (and in imperial units, at that). Granted in the beginning he says that "large" is 900g and "small" is 500, but that doesn't apply to all recipes.
- No "qualitative" information is given about how the dough should feel. Hydration is always a variable thing, so if you've never made a recipe before, it helps to have descriptors of how the dough should feel. For example, I'd never made croissants before. Emmanuel's recipe just gives one water measurement and no information on whether the dough should be firm or supple, tacky or dry.
- all recipes are written for hand mixing

There are other things I found initially off-putting such as references to flours and such that are not readily available in the U.S. and the reliance on Active or Cake yeast (as confessed above, when using commercial yeast I am used to Reinhart's employ of Instant yeast). Also some questionable information such as the assertion that Spelt and Farro are the same.
Perhaps I'm nit-picking on some of this stuff, so take this with a grain of salt.

Overall I think this book makes a good addition to an intermediate or advanced baker's library. I definitely like the unique recipes (e.g. Fig, Walnut and Anise Sourdough) and the beautiful pictures. The Hazelnut Currant Sourdough will be one of my staple recipes from now on.
For me, however, this isn't a book that I feel helps me get to a new level of baking as I'd hoped. It mostly just gives me some cool recipes.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2015 4:20 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3