Profile for Bill Oterson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 624

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bill Oterson RSS Feed (L.I., about 60 miles, or so, east of Manhattan.)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
All-Clad Textiles Reversible Fast-Drying Mat, 16-Inch x 28-Inch, Pewter
All-Clad Textiles Reversible Fast-Drying Mat, 16-Inch x 28-Inch, Pewter
Price: $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a Good Job., April 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This "All Clad Reversible Fast-Drying Mat", arrived with the morning mail and got immediate use as the family was over for Saturday brunch. That always results in lots of dishes, pots, utensils, etc. for clean-up afterward. And there are always more than the dishwasher can hold. Besides some things that require hand washing, too.

It's been my custom in the past, in order to avoid chipping, to place a towel on the counter top to accommodate spill over items but this drying mat is so much easier to use, and does a better job, anyway.

Look closely at the photo and you'll notice a plate that had been chipped prior to using this mat. Notice, too, the mat is of a convenient size and fits exactly where it is needed.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Google Nexus9 - Hideaway with Stand - Ruggedized - Black - Black
Google Nexus9 - Hideaway with Stand - Ruggedized - Black - Black
Price: $50.40
4 used & new from $49.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Protection, April 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Considering the cost of repairing or replacing the Google Nexus this "Hard Candy Case" provides about as much protection as you could hope for. It's a good fit but the trade-off is increased bulk and quite a bit of additional weight.

I found the case was easy to install, not at all like the Otterbox defender I've got for the Apple, and it's functional, too; I'm out in the field a lot for photography where accidents happen, a lot. This case is insurance for the unexpected. I've little use for the 'hideaway/stand', though.

Having said all the above, why is everything 'electronic' associated so pricey.

Abbot & Main Mens Zip Up Hoodie
Abbot & Main Mens Zip Up Hoodie
Price: $29.99 - $36.16

5.0 out of 5 stars What's Not To Like., April 22, 2015
Hey, this "Zip Up Hoodie", from Abbot & Main is light weight, put together nicely and It's stylish. I'm just a little more than a strict medium but it fits just right and it's comfortable, too, with pockets. And, if you look around, you may find it somewhat less than advertised, as I did at a big box store.

Thule 834 Hull-A-Port Vertical Kayak Carrier
Thule 834 Hull-A-Port Vertical Kayak Carrier
Price: $149.95
55 used & new from $140.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Had One Fail., April 21, 2015
I've been using the Thule vertical Kayak carriers for quite a while without a problem. Though I prefer the older model "J" with a closed loop at each end which facilitated tying down. And these are, for all practical purposes, identical to the Yakima's.

I give kayak instructions and have had summer camps so my equipment gets a lot of use. I'm conservative though and tie the kayaks across one another, to the Thule rack, and both fore and aft .They're attached atop my Blazer on both sides of the vehicle and I have never had one fail on me. Just have to secure them and the kayaks correctly; no slipping or sliding either.

However, I only remove them from the vehicle when I intend replacing them - weather will rot the rubber and eventually the metal rusts through - but I prefer not taking them down and putting them up; might consider a fold down next time, though, so I don't have to worry about height.

Datacolor S5P100 Spyder5PRO
Datacolor S5P100 Spyder5PRO
Price: $189.00
10 used & new from $189.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Considerable Improvement Observed after Calibration, April 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not an expert at calibrating monitors - I'm a photographer, not a technician - but I've 3 monitors: two for desktop and a laptop; And I had never been happy with my manual calibrations as all too often my prints were a bit different than what my monitor displayed so I've opted to try Spyder from Datacolor.

I've had both the 'Express' and the 'Pro' versions and can provide a comparison: Using the Spyder5Express enabled better display to printer results as the brightness had improved but I find the Spyder5pro to have exceeded that both in resultant black and white and, also, color photos. Physically both devices are identical and the difference between them is in the software download which is very quick and without difficulty; Calibration with the 'Pro' is more exacting but takes only a bit longer.

I suspect, however, I've reached the limits of the monitor I'm using and it's due for an upgrade. And it's difficult to provide a realistic rating as I've only done the initial calibration. I can't say that the adjustment will hold, if there will be significant changes after a month or what the longevity of the Spyder5pro will be. However, I'm very pleased at the moment.

Command Decor Damage-Free Wall Tiles, White Frame, 7.5 x 7.5-Inches Window plus Riser, 3-Pack
Price: $66.67

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Method to Display Photos and Art., April 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As I'm a photographer with interests for hanging my photography I agreed to review the "Damage-Free Wall Tiles", from Command Decor. I received a set of 3, plastic tiles, for hanging, two of which had neutral designs (I expect there will be many designs to choose from) and one with a solid black enabling a photo or art display (assuming they'll be choices of different sizes).

The entire process of hanging these tiles is very easy and takes but a few minutes. Each tile has 3 pieces: one for adhering holder to wall (pull off the adhesive covering, place it on the wall, The holder itself aligns easily as it has an embedded level, and, it presses into the back of the adhesive. And the tile attaches quickly and easily into the holder (It even has a tiny magnet in it). Voila! You're done. And to test for the "damage-free" claim, I removed the tiles and the adhesive from the wall and there was no leftover residue or any damage.

I've included photos for visualizing the process: the adhesive strip, the holder on top of it (tiny magnet at center) and the completion. Again, it just couldn't be easier. One item of note, though: when placing a tile diagonally another level will be required.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War
Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War
by P. W. Singer
Price: $18.05
24 used & new from $15.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Darn Good, April 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Just finished reading "Ghost Fleet", by P.W. Singer and August Cole and did enjoy reading the story. But not being a fast reader I often get to read about it from the perspective of others before I get to give my review.

This is science fiction about a next world war and how it might be conducted and without some of the info dumping I'd have given this book 5 stars. Being ex-navy, and air force, involved with communications and electronics, I was comfortable with many of the expressions used and scenes described by the authors. However, it took a while for interest to develop. Once there, though, the pace and action of the story picked up significantly. Seems, in the future, women have advanced in the chain of command, have a lot more say and are very much involved with the military, from weapons developing to waging war, and that, alone, added significantly to the story.

The story moves nicely from beginning to end and I felt the characters believable and nicely developed, both protagonists and antagonists, and their relation to one another honest and real, But every story worth reading needs a good ending and the one provided by these authors is a slam dunk and done very nicely, too.

Datacolor S5X100 Spyder5EXPRESS
Datacolor S5X100 Spyder5EXPRESS
Offered by Genesis-Technologies
Price: $129.00
15 used & new from $117.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked Great on 3 Monitors, April 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Just received the "Datacolor Spyder5express", from Datacolor, downloaded the software, off the net, without any difficulty and quick, too; registered and started calibrating 2 desktop monitors and a laptop.

The calibration for each monitor went without a hitch and in very little time; just a few minutes for each monitor. Without exception all my monitors were brightness high which I was aware of and was causing havoc with my in house printing.

Very happy with the results.

DII 100-Percent Polyester Wrinkle Resistant Wide Tablecloth, 70 by 84-Inch, Light Blue, Seats 6 to 8 People
Price: $20.99

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for everyday, size varies slightly., April 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This "Polyester" table cloth from DII is excellent for everyday, or outdoor use: BBQ, party, etc. It's a very nice color, in my opinion, close to sky blue. And as it is polyester it should clean up nicely with normal wash and dry; It did after I washed & dried it.

The actual measurements of the item I received are 83.5 x 70.5 inches with a 1/2 inch hem all around. The stitching is good with no loose threads. However, on this cloth I received there are a couple short, pulled, threads on the face. Considering the price and utility I would rate it 3.5 stars if not for the pulled threads.

StarTech.com PYO2SATA 6in SATA Power Y Splitter Cable Adapter - M/F
StarTech.com PYO2SATA 6in SATA Power Y Splitter Cable Adapter - M/F
Price: $2.99
59 used & new from $1.48

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works, and that's what matters., April 13, 2015
No problem with this cable from StarTech. Used it to install an additional hard drive in my PC.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20