Profile for For What It's Worth... > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 442

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

For What It's Worth... RSS Feed (NH)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Magpies
The Magpies
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But..., August 9, 2014
This review is from: The Magpies (Kindle Edition)
Written from Jamie's POV, he tells of his and Kirstie's excitement as they move into their newly-purchased apartment - their dream home for this period in their young lives. They celebrate by having a party and inviting friends and also their new neighbors not only as a way of getting to know them but also to avoid alienating them with a shindig which most likely could become somewhat noisy.

Odd happenings, probably pranks, occur from the get go leaving Jamie and Kirsty analyzing who the perpetrator could be. These "pranks" spiral out of control quickly into dangerous and sinister territory. Jamie is certain his happy life will soon come crashing down on him.

"Magpies" is a good but less than tight psychological thriller. There was too much information in parts including foods ordered and detailed frequent sexual encounters. Some of it verged on filler adding unnecessarily to the book's length. Parts didn't flow well. It has a terrific premise, however so much more could have been done with it. While at one point, I was all but rubbing my hands together gleefully in anticipation, I was quite disappointed by the part directly before the epilogue; It lacked imagination. I wanted something much more explosive and retaliatory. I mean, this couple put up with so much from nasty neighbors, it was time for a little fun of their own.

Other parts didn't fit such as Paul's actions, reactions, and behaviors. There was at least one more area that I remember wondering about but which eludes me now. And yes, I read the author's note at book's end. Still I felt it was lacking.

Crimes of Memory (A Detective Jackson Mystery)
Crimes of Memory (A Detective Jackson Mystery)
Price: $4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Downhill, August 4, 2014
This was the only one in the series I didn't care for. Since the introduction in the last book of FBI agent Carla Rivers, I think the series started deteriorating. Detective Jackson is no longer the main character. This one had too many POV's including a secondary FBI agent. I'm really glad a relationship wasn't initiated between two of the characters because that would have been seriously awkward!

Hidden
Hidden
Price: $4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't Do It..., August 4, 2014
This review is from: Hidden (Kindle Edition)
Stopped at 20%. There was nothing I liked about it and I think 20% of a book is far enough along to know whether it's worth it; I didn't think this one was. The narration of Claire's character had a grating lilt at the end of every sentence. I didn't care about any of the characters. Tish seems happily married but lets out a scream and throws up when she discovers that her coworker was killed. That's a bit overreactive and the scream was definitely inappropriate. The reader should be the one throwing up but I won't waste my time.

Misfit Shine - Activity and Sleep Monitor
Misfit Shine - Activity and Sleep Monitor
Offered by Just Right
Price: $84.99
26 used & new from $49.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Shine, July 17, 2014
I actually tried two of these. They seemed to work for a time with syncing quirks often causing me to try and try again to sync, even with the device sitting on top of my iPhone. My husband and I hiked a 55-minute trail through the woods in the evening and I was excited to see all the steps I had just walked. Got in the vehicle and when it finally synced, it wouldn't register any of the steps I had just taken. In fact, it didn't register any of the steps I had taken since about 7 a.m. Bummer! This wasn't the only time this happened. I tried wearing it in different locations but had the same problem at times. This thing is an attractive device and I really wanted it to work for me. I returned it for something less attractive but one that actually works and on which I am able to see the steps on the device before syncing. And that's my opinion... (Mine was the sea glass color.)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2014 5:41 AM PDT

The Deepest Secret: A Novel
The Deepest Secret: A Novel
by Carla Buckley
Price: $34.48
15 used & new from $0.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, July 3, 2014
For as long as I can remember, even as a kid, I've had trouble with stories like this one; They make me tense.

Guilt. Watching the minutes. Paranoia. Sneaking out. So many secrets. Everyone has them it seems. Tension. A peeping Tom. Suspicion. Strife. Only one person knows what happened and that person isn't talking.

The tension grips you early on, understanding the reasoning but wondering how one can keep up the charade without cracking or revealing the truth.

Even though the reader knows early on what happened and who caused it (or thinks they do), the storyline is gripping. The characters are life-like. The tension is sometimes high-voltage but the denouement was anticlimactic. The one character who was suspicious, seemed surprised when the truth was revealed and suspicions proven true.

If half stars were available, this would be a 4.5 star book.

Ruin Falls: A Novel
Ruin Falls: A Novel
Offered by Audible, Inc. (US)

3.0 out of 5 stars Well..., June 27, 2014
Though the first half held my interest more than the 2nd half, this one didn't sit well for me. The person's reason for taking the children was nonsensical. Liz's parents seemed concerned and wanted to help but then what happened to them? The sexual encounter during a frenetic search was so misplaced as to be laughable.

Bits were suspenseful. No character was particularly likable.

Better than 2 stars but less than 3.

Cover of Snow
Cover of Snow
by Jenny Milchman
10 used & new from $5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars That's What I'm Talking About!!!, May 10, 2014
This review is from: Cover of Snow (Audio CD)
The pace as well as the suspense in Cover of Snow were there all along; it had nothing slowing it down. The main character Nora was likeable enough. All the other characters were secondary to her but that didn't matter because the story was so well orchestrated. I look forward to the next book by this author.

Doing Harm
Doing Harm
by Kelly Parsons
Price: $34.99
36 used & new from $8.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Ending Needs a Do-Over, May 1, 2014
This review is from: Doing Harm (Audio CD)
Is there an alternate ending? I mean the entire story was remarkable especially for an author's debut novel. He carries the reader through the entire book at breakneck speed. At the end though, he lost his rhythm and the story falters from there. It was a cop-out ending which only got worse. If I was his editor, I would have handed back the manuscript and told him to redo it - make it believable.

What does the Bible say about pride? That it goes before destruction? That is the case with Dr. Mitchell. He's not just self-confident which is a good thing, in the OR, his pride runneth over.

Though the author does explain some medical jargon, having some medical knowledge already, certainly helps the reader.

Mind over Murder (Cal and Plato Marley)
Mind over Murder (Cal and Plato Marley)
by Bill Pomidor
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
76 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars At The Risk of Being Criticized..., April 29, 2014
There was nothing I liked about this book when I stopped at page 103. It is full of inconsequential detail with little to do with mystery. I found myself skimming over paragraphs to hopefully land on a spark of interest. I invested more time than I should have.

Ritual: A Novel
Ritual: A Novel
by Mo Hayder
48 used & new from $1.56

2.0 out of 5 stars African Superstition, April 25, 2014
This review is from: Ritual: A Novel (Hardcover)
Bizzare hallucinations

African superstition

I don't think there was anything I liked about the story itself however, the narrator was pretty good.

Again Mo Hayder deals with man's depravity; It seems to be a subject she's familiar with. In this one however, she took unnecessary liberties with crass language and some situations were tastelessly handled. It's severely cheapened the story.

I've never had much respect for Caffery but in this the third in the series, he descends even lower in my opinion. He's angry, foul-mouthed, and acts like the criminals he's trying to nail.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20