Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for For What It's Worth... > Reviews

Browse

For What It's Wo...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 452

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

For What It's Worth... RSS Feed (NH)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Open Season (Joe Gunther Mysteries)
Open Season (Joe Gunther Mysteries)
by Archer Mayor
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
56 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars The Land of Oz, April 15, 2014
It's probably good that I read another in this series first because had I started with this one, I probably would have read no more by this author. At least not in this series.

I found this one to drag. I wasn't fond of any of the characters but I was sad to see one particular character die. I would not have been any sadder though had that character been Gunther himself.

Shallow characters. His relationship with Gail is one-dimensional. What woman in her right mind would be in a relationship with someone who comes by occasionally for a sexual favor and then splits until his need arises once more? And what she's okay with that? Only a male author would portray a woman as being no more than an agreeable sex toy. Perhaps by the next book, they will have visited Oz. Gail would've gotten a brain and Gunther gets a heart.

Until Proven Guilty
Until Proven Guilty
by J. A. Jance
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
120 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The Guilty One, April 8, 2014
I've been a fan of J.A. Jance for some time so when I found this in my Kindle arsenal, it was time to settle in for a good read. I wasn't disappointed.

I liked Detective Beaumont but man, he was a fool for Anne in more ways than one! Early on he wasn't sure of his new detective partner Peters and at times, probably resented his intrusion. However, by book's end, he really came to appreciate him. You could see that they make a good team with Peters asking the right questions of possible witnesses.

Some of those witnesses belonged to the church that Brodie was the pastor of and I would like to have found out what became of them in light of all that went on.

I think it was easy to sense something was up regarding a particular character the first time that person is introduced. I'm not sure however whether I thought about it all that much but I did question Beaumont's judgment. I won't get into that further however lest I should give away something vital to the story.

Home Run: A Novel
Home Run: A Novel
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Home Run, March 31, 2014
This review is from: Home Run: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
A poignant story of a man struggling with addiction. The book opens with Cory and his brother in youth, dealing with their angry verbally abusive drunk of a father whom the boys feared greatly. Cory grows up to be much like that angry alcoholic of a man. He spends his days playing professional baseball and his nights numbing the pain of his past in alcohol and women.

It is after one angry outburst that he's required to attend a recovery program held at a small church in his hometown.

Home Run is a clean narrative suitable for the entire family. It does have a Christian theme, however you won't find heavy-handedness or legalism within its pages. Just a good story.

***SPOILER BELOW***
What I find in most, if not all, Christian conversion books, is more or less an 'all's well now that I'm a Christian'-ending which give the impression that life after conversion is a cakewalk. That's rather true with this one as well. It would be a breath of fresh air to read about reality in these conversions.

Christians make mistakes and falter in life. They stumble and question as well as celebrate victories and testimonies. And it NEVER is happy-ever-after.

I wonder if non-Christians might refrain from these books not only because of possible brow-beating, but because of the unrealistic-ness of such happy-ever-after endings. I suppose it does give one hope though.

Beyond Reach (Grant County Book 6)
Beyond Reach (Grant County Book 6)
Offered by Random House LLC

2.0 out of 5 stars Shaking My Head, March 29, 2014
Some of this one is a review of things from previous books in the series. It was like "Ya, Ya, Ya. Just get on with the story. We've heard it before." How many more times do we want to read about how Jeffrey strayed the first time he and Sara were married?

Much contemplation of Lena's life; I'm wondering whether she'll ever make wise choices but judging by this book, I'd say no. She continues to do stupid things, much to her detriment. Jeffrey should just nail her butt to the wall, fire her, and move on.

What happened to Sara? She's become a different person, one who easily cries - more than a little emotional.

The middle of the story started to show promise but eh, I lost interest. It sort of felt like the author lost interest in her characters as well.

The ending? Seriously? I think something like that could have worked if it happened earlier on. The way it was handled was just so lame.

Dirty Little Lies
Dirty Little Lies
by John Macken
20 used & new from $0.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, March 27, 2014
This review is from: Dirty Little Lies (Paperback)
Upon beginning this book, the reader could easily be confused. Continue on and it begins to come together while other parts cause confusion. The intrigue is there though so you'll want to press on.

Ok. So what really bothers me is the repeated use of a character's name when that person is the only one currently present. Also redundant is the continued use of characters' first and last names used together throughout.

My husband liked this more than I did but then again, I had read it aloud, skipping what was unnecessary.

I'm guessing the author forgot what must have been a painful hand of one of the key characters because that character suddenly seems pain-free. Hey, I had to mention that.

A totally unexpected ending.

I'm giving it 4 stars because I thought it was between a 3 and a 4 and my husband liked it.

The Heat of the Moon: A Rachel Goddard Mystery #1 (Rachel Goddard Mysteries)
The Heat of the Moon: A Rachel Goddard Mystery #1 (Rachel Goddard Mysteries)
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The Heat of the Moon, March 19, 2014
Rachel's mother Judith will brook no questions about her late husband when Rachel tries to discover anything about him, stating that after twenty something years, she is still too grieved to discuss him. Rachel has some memories though and she can't just drop it.

The suspense carries the reader through most of the chapters and it's only after the confrontation Rachel has with her mother after discovering the truth that this novel flags. One has to wonder at the choice Rachel and her sister Michelle make and the future consequences of such a decision.

From there the story only suffers more with a notable lack of believability. How she is able to gather information from her source with no questions asked and no suspicion, baffles me.

Is the story worth reading? Judging by the number of 4 and 5-star reviews, one might think it is. The suspense is certainly there.

The Price of Malice: A Joe Gunther Novel (Joe Gunther Mysteries Book 20)
The Price of Malice: A Joe Gunther Novel (Joe Gunther Mysteries Book 20)
Offered by Macmillan

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Love It, February 22, 2014
While Joe Gunther and his team of the Vermont Bureau of Investigation are pursuing leads in the death of a suspected child predator, he and his girlfriend Lyn Silva are in the midst of a separate case in Maine involving her father and brother long believed to be lost at sea.

The story itself was interesting enough. Did I love it? No. However, I liked that there were two mysteries going on simultaneously. There was excitement happening in various New England locations - Brattleboro, Vermont, Gloucester, Massachusetts, and Bangor, Maine. I enjoyed the bits of historical information peppered in. I'd probably say 3.5 stars.

Faithless: A Novel (Grant County Book 5)
Faithless: A Novel (Grant County Book 5)
Offered by Random House LLC

4.0 out of 5 stars Sucker-Punched, February 20, 2014
This 5th one by Slaughter is more in line with books 1 and 2 in the Grant County series. There is more mystery and less of the characters' day-to-day lives. Lena is less angry and better able to do her job; She's more involved in more ways than one.

Sara is thrown by something Jeffrey tells her but barely has time to process it when Jeffrey literally stumbles over a short pipe sticking out of the ground. When they uncover a wooden crate, they soon realize the young girl inside was buried alive.

The story quickly becomes compelling, drawing you in and holding your interest. As in Slaughter's other books, this one leaves you perplexed at mankind's depravity and you kind of feel sucker-punched when you realize what's going on.

Indelible (Grant County Book 4)
Indelible (Grant County Book 4)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not, February 18, 2014
Who knows where the relationship will be between Sara and Jeffrey from one book to the next, from one chapter to the next.

Most of this, the fourth in the series, is back story of Sara and Jeffrey. The mystery is in the back story but ties into the hostage situation. It only gets good in the second half when things start happening and Jeffrey's in for a rude awakening. This is where Slaughter shines in her story-telling. It's worth wading through the beginning to get there.

Pious Deception (The Kiernan O'Shaughnessy Mysteries)
Pious Deception (The Kiernan O'Shaughnessy Mysteries)
Price: $6.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing Arizona, February 16, 2014
Right from the start, this one hooks you in. It's a real who-done-it that'll keep you guessing til the end. Makes me pine for Arizona.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20