Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Profile for Mauvis Ledford > Reviews

Browse

Mauvis Ledford's Profile

Customer Reviews: 30

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mauvis Ledford RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Convertible Inflatable Kayak
Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Convertible Inflatable Kayak
Price: $709.17
9 used & new from $602.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Back from first kayak trip and very satisfied!, August 10, 2015
Note that I purchased this product on another site that was cheaper but used the reviews here to decide to purchase this kayak. I wanted to contribute back to the reviews here as my thanks to others.

First thing I wanted to talk about is how beautiful this kayak is when inflated. It doesn't look like a cheap inflatable but a real product engineered for serious kayaking. I love it's intense orange color and how everything (but the kayak bag) seems so well thought-out and designed. I definitely feel that I am enjoying a product that took years to refine to its current iteration.

I just completed my first 1.5 hour trip with this tandem kayak on a fairly still, large lake with a couple of other kayaks, sailboats, and the occasional speedboat. It was overall a pretty stellar, problem-free experience. Kayak setup was straight forward as I’ve set it up and took it down the previous day in my garage. I bought a double-action pump with a gauge and essentially just eyeballed the pressure of every part (I followed the PSI pressure guide the first time in my garage so understand generally how "stiff" all the parts should be.) I had no issues with buoyancy or tracking in the water. Attached are some pics from the trip!

I am a beginner kayaker (only been a few times a few years ago) but plan on working my way up to doing some protected ocean-side trips. I purchased the backbone component but decided not to use it my first time just to see what its like without it. I would say if you are just going recreationally on calm lakes and calm waters, you will not miss out a lot by not having the backbone — you go plenty fast and track and turn decently enough, though I'm sure with backbone support it would be even better (will update). The backbone does come with a lot of scary warnings to be more gentle with landings into sharp rocks or hard surfaces that the kayak without the backbone can do no problem.

My girlfriend was initially afraid of getting in an "inflatable kayak" but we found the kayak so stable loading, paddling, and unloading, that even she quickly trusted the dependability of it. Our speed was surprisingly fast on the lake, not as fast as the expensive 20-ft single-person kayaks we saw but way faster than my brother's inflatable boat with three-paddlers (pictured. Then again this product costs 4x more than his inflatable). I found I could even make decent speed with my partner on the front, not paddling.

Recommendations:
- As others say, the first time you pull this kayak out of the case remember how its folded. You want to fold it exactly the same way for problem-free pack up. Essentially you fold it in half length-wise (making the kayak thinner) then you fold each end a 3rd in, followed by a third more folding to fold it all the way.
- The first time I put this kayak in its bag, like others, I had a hard time making it fit. Packing the kayak away the second time on the other hand was super problem free and I even had room to fit tons of accessories. The trick is to not only release the air out of all the inlets but 1) Use your pump to ensure ALL the air is out before packing up (most important) 2) Close the valves once the air is out to ensure none gets back (less important but still useful, I am still experimenting with this)
- The bag as everyone says, is totally useable and useful but using the same material could have been constructed into a back pack or something else easier to carry. If you have to carry this kayak down the road to reach a launch point it may be useful to get a kart for the bag as you will need to make a trip back to your car anyways to put the pump and other stuff away.

Now that I have one successful trip on this kayak I plan on getting the "Advanced Elements Rapid Up Sail" and eventually an "Advanced Elements Double Deck Conversion" for protected bay / ocean paddling. Will update this review with more trip experiences! Overall, I couldn't ask for a better portable kayak, another happy customer. Thanks Advanced Frame!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Best Eye Sleep Mask with Earplugs - Aids Sleep Disorders- Blocks Light -Designed for Travel - Dominates Quiet Restful REM Sleep-Fits Men-women & Kids -Stays in Place-light- weight & pillow soft- No questions asked, Money Back Guarantee
Offered by Healthi Bodi
Price: $14.97

4.0 out of 5 stars I purchased the top three rated sleep masks on Amazon. This rated #2 for me., June 16, 2015
As mentioned in my title, I bought the top three masks on Amazon and this was #2 best for me. All masks let a little light in, but the "Dream Shields Sleeping Eye Mask" let the least amount while also 1) cupping your eyes so you can blink without feeling them 2) Being even lighter than these which are pretty darn light. Cosmetically I think this one wins best on looks as the Dream Shields look more like a bra on your face (though all sleep masks are generally black and not very noticeable.) Both these and the Dream Shields come with ear plugs which I found a bit cheap. It's semi-neat that you have a place to store them in the strap of this particular mask. The bottom "nose curtain" I found less affective on this mask than the "nose cutout" method used on the Dream Shields. Bottom line: I don't think you would regret the purchase of this particular mask, but for around the same price I found the Dream Shields both lighter and capability to block out more light.

Sleep well.

Dream Shields Sleeping Eye Mask Kit with Earplugs and Cloth Carry Pouch
Dream Shields Sleeping Eye Mask Kit with Earplugs and Cloth Carry Pouch
Offered by Star Brands
Price: $24.97

5.0 out of 5 stars As perfect as you can get. I've literally tried all of the top masks on Amazon., June 16, 2015
I decided to invest in a better sleep mask for two reasons:

1) I moved to a house with floor to ceiling windows in the bedroom: it's super bright every morning which prevents me from sleeping in.
2) I am planning a trip over seas which entails a 14 hour flight each way.

Seeing how the average cost for each top-ranked sleep mask (around $14) is not breaking the bank, I purchased the top three highest rated sleep masks on Amazon to test for my trip. Though all three sleep masks were of fair-to-high quality in the build department this one stood above all the others. These are the factors of why I preferred this mask:

1) It blocks out light well WHILE cupping around your eyes so that you can blink without feeling it there. Pair that with:
2) It's lightness. All the top three sleep masks were lightweight, but this one feels EVEN lighter then the rest. Like it's barely there.
3) It blocks out the most light. Let me get one thing straight: Every sleep mask I've ever tried potentially leaks some light in the nose area. This is true for all of Amazon's top-three rated masks and the two masks I already own. It seems that all sleep masks either have a stretchy band / curtain for your nose area or a cutout for a more solid mask fit. This one has the latter and for me it's pretty good fit. This may also mean that this mask may not be perfect for all nose types (mine is on the medium/large size) however I think the nose curtain method generally sucks for most people—it doesn't even try to create a solid fit. With this mask you can also press down around your nose a couple of times to get a pretty solid light cutout if there is a tiny gap. This part is critical for me as my bedroom windows are at the foot of my bed so when I'm laying down the light is shining very strong at the weakest angle of any sleep mask.

As others have commented this mask has no seams. It's kind of interesting as its very similar to how a high-end bra is manufactured. Kind of weird as it looks like a bra for your face but its a black mask so its barely noticeable anyways. The only other thing to mention is that two of the top three masks (including this one) also include cheap earplugs and a carrying case but you can get those anywhere.

That's it from me. I will report back after a few days of sleeping with these. May you sleep well as I will.

Arrow Plastic 00765 Ultra Slimline Beverage Dispenser, 1.25-Gallon
Arrow Plastic 00765 Ultra Slimline Beverage Dispenser, 1.25-Gallon
Price: $12.55
5 used & new from $12.55

5.0 out of 5 stars A great purchase to enable access to water in places without taking up much space., June 13, 2015
I wanted water in my home workout room which is in my garage. Now I have it without taking up too much space. I dig it.

Alternative Men's Eco-Jersey Zip Hoodie, Eco Black, Medium
Alternative Men's Eco-Jersey Zip Hoodie, Eco Black, Medium
Offered by BuyMeNow!!
Price: $20.34
10 used & new from $19.71

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect high-quality, thin, fitted hoodie, June 13, 2015
A friend of mine had an excellent hoodie and when I asked where he bought it from he said he just ordered the cheapest hoodie on Amazon. I did the same and this was the item I purchased. Well as it turns out, this is not the hoodie he was wearing BUT it's a perfect hoodie in it's own right, and here's why: it is a very thin and somewhat fitted hoodie, not in any way that's lacking, in a way that's thin enough to wear indoors and not be too hot, and wear outdoors on a perfect day where you want to block out the sun's rays, stylishly, but not sweat under a thicker hoodie. On some work days where I just don't feel like dressing up, I just rock this hoodie all day.

Because of it's thinness it can also be worn below a thicker jacket without making the outer jacket too tight. As you know, wearing layers is the perfect way to be at the perfect temperature and now you have found the perfect middle layer that can also serve well on its own in every day sunny situations in and outdoors. Your welcome.

Pearl Black Slim Money Clip wedding mens Gift stainless streel Money Clip By Y&G MC1039 One Size pearl black
Offered by Men's Fashion
Price: $9.85

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect clip to hold your money. As good as any $100 clip., June 13, 2015
Before this clip I bought one off Amazon that was about the same price but without a clasp mechanism. I found this is a critical requirement for holding both thick and thin items without stretching out the metal. I am very satisfied with this little clip and use it every day.

Edit: 8/15/2015 (2 months later): Still using the clip every day and enjoy the freedom of not sitting on a thick wallet. This money clip has a small screw that goes along the entire width of the clip where the hinge is. Recently I saw this screw was about 3mm out of the hole. I got a tiny screw driver and screwed it all the way in and made sure its tight. As good as new and I'm still very happy with the value of this clip.

Carlson 0930PW Extra-Wide Walk-Thru Gate with Pet Door, White
Carlson 0930PW Extra-Wide Walk-Thru Gate with Pet Door, White
Price: $38.39
36 used & new from $32.63

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful with lots of problems, June 4, 2015
Summary: This is a nice looking gate. If you are looking for a PERMANENT gate and don't mind a few annoyances (Eg. having to step over the bottom bar, having to open and then securely close the top latch every time instead of having a simple autolatching mechanism) then this gate might be useful to you. Note that the "doggy door" opening can easily fit my 13lb dog and 35lb dog. Only animals 50lb and up may not be able to go through this door so don't get it to restrict medium-sized animals. If you are looking to set up an occasional temporary gate DO NOT get this gate. It's is far too painful to take down and setup with loose, easy to lose parts and a floppy door that cannot close when the gate is not securely connected to a wall. Read on for a more detailed review.

This is a quality gate that was physically manufactured well with quality components and quality wielding—but it isn't designed well.

For one, it has a thick bar on the bottom that is not nearly as flush to the ground as it could be that you will always have to walk over. This is especially annoying/dangerous if you are trying to block off stairs.

Secondly, The gate has a non-gravity latch at the top that you must swing open AND then close as you cross it every time you use it. This means you cannot be carrying items in both your hands. Like the gates of a playground or front yard gate, it really should be able to close on its own just by the force of closing.

Thirdly, this gate requires about five minutes to take off and on because it requires you to screw or unscrew the four corners screws. If you are looking for a gate to occasionally put up and take down quickly and conveniently, this isn't it.

Lastly, this gate does not store well; when its not connected to a wall the gate door swings open freely and cannot lock. It is the pressure of the walls that keeps the gate closed. As such, you cannot carry this gate under one arm when stowing or retrieving as you must use two hands to safely hold the gate door and frame while storing it away so it doesn't swing and hit you in the face or damage your walls.

I am not a gate expert but I think these four issues could have been easily addressed with very little extra work or material. It simply requires five minutes of extra thought while engineering this gate. Five minutes of thought that were not given.

Edit: 8/15/2015 (over 2 months since I wrote the original review.) We set up this gate whenever we need to leave the house for more than 4 hours and need to keep the dogs at home to prevent them accessing the first floor. I am continuously at awe at how much I hate this gate and it's simple flaws. The "screw bolts" that are loosely connect to all four corners of this fence do not have any kind of fasteners to keep them in place when not connected to the walls so whenever you take the gate down you need a zip lock back or container to store them in. I have now lost 3 out of 4 of these screw bolts rendering this gate pretty useless. Being the 5th major flaw of this gate, I have now lowered my rating of this gate to two stars. I've also added a summary at the top of this review for the one case where the gate may be most useful.

Alaska Bear® Classic Silver Cash Money Clip Credit Card Holder
Alaska Bear® Classic Silver Cash Money Clip Credit Card Holder
Offered by AccMarket
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $2.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't hold its shape, not even worth the return. Great customer service., May 21, 2015
I found the joy and freedom of escaping the use of a regular wallet when my friend upgraded his money clip and gave me his old one. I enjoyed keeping it in my front pocket and sitting down without sitting on my wallet or wearing out jeans over time. Unfortunately I eventually lost that clip and so tried to find the highest rated on on Amazon to replace it. As many have stated this clip looks nice but when you stick about 20 bills plus a few cards in it (5), it no longer snaps back to how it was. I am writing this review because the 4.5 star rating seems a little high to me and I must agree with the 51 other 1-3 star folks to not waste your money. For $9.99 its not even worth the return. Invest in a higher quality clip that has a hinge - this will ensure the clip stays tight around your valuables.

Edit: I just wanted to update that I received a very nice email by the manufacturers of this clip apologizing for the issue and inviting to send me another clip for free. Though I much appreciate their email I have to respectfully stick to my review as it reflects my real feedback using this clip. The clip is beautiful and did come in a nice velvet case and since the manufacturers are so responsive I will upgrade this to a two-star rating with the caveat to not go above a few cards and bills. I find realistically though that some cashier will hand you back way too many ones or you will have to carry a few extra cards temporary for some reason. In this case you will overstretch the clip leading you to potentially lose your valuables.

I invested in a clip with a hinge around the same exact price (<$10) here on Amazon and am quite happy with it. I do want to thank the manufactures for the nice email and have added to the title of this review that they have great customer service.

Bose SoundTouch Wireless Adapter for CineMate Systems
Bose SoundTouch Wireless Adapter for CineMate Systems
Price: $99.95
11 used & new from $79.97

4.0 out of 5 stars You just wanted steaming music on your Bose, but you actually get a lot more., May 10, 2015
Update: This review is kind of long but I would like to summarize my two favorite things this device enables you to do that I actually use every day:

1. This device allows you to play music through your speakers without having your TV on. Previous to this device I would use my AppleTV to stream music which required the TV to be on and wasting electricity.
2. This device allows you to turn on your Bose system via Spotify on your Phone / Web browser. Just by selecting "Living Room" in Spotify and hitting play, the Bose turns on and starts playing tunes. The Bose has a built in thing where it will automatically turn off if the speakers are silent for more than 15 mins so no worries about turning things off. I use these 2 features a few times a week.

Continue to old review:

Like many people, I bought a Bose CineMate 130 Home Theater System which has amazing sound but no native why to stream music outside of an analog side port. I have an Apple TV and I am able to stream Spotify and other iTunes music through it but the sound is not well-balanced—the whole reason I bought a Bose. This is because any audio coming from the AppleTV to the Bose, the Bose will automatically try to play it in surround sound. While there might be a setting to change this, I do not want to have to go through the settings every time I want to stream music and then change it back anytime I want to see a movie or TV show. Researching a workaround I found the missing piece which is the SoundTouch. Like most people I was also very chagrined that it appears we are being put on the coals for another $100 just for this simple feature. I gave a listen through this device at the Bose store and it indeed sounds good, so I went ahead and bought it.

Like many people, I found the setup a little long and awkward. You have to plug this device into your Bose sound system, download an iPhone (or Android) app, connect to the wifi point that this device generates, and then configure it to use your wifi point. The iPhone app is similar to the Like many people, I bought a Bose CineMate 130 Home Theater System which has amazing sound but no native why to stream music outside of an analog side port. I have an Apple TV and I am able to stream Spotify and other iTunes music through it but the sound is not well-balanced—the whole reason I bought a Bose. This is because any audio coming from the AppleTV to the Bose, the Bose will automatically try to play it in surround sound. While there is probably a setting to change this, I do not want to have to go through the settings every time I want to stream music and then change it back anytime I want to see a movie or TV show. Researching a workaround I found the missing piece which is the SoundTouch. Like most people I was also very chagrined that it appears we are being put on the coals for another $100 just for this simple feature. I gave a listen through this device at the Bose store and it indeed sounds good, so I went ahead and bought it.

Like many people, I found the setup a little long and awkward. You have to plug this device into your Bose sound system, download an iPhone (or Android) app, connect to the wifi point that this device generates, and the configure it to use your wifi point. The iPhone app is similar to the the Bose Cinemate 130 Remote - Bose is a company that is focused on researching amazing sound and sound devices but not great remote control or iPhone apps—they are very functional but not going to win any beauty or user-interface awards like their sound devices do. Why the 4 stars though? Because, after setup, the Bost SoundTouch is extremely easy to use and actually quite functional for a busy audiophile that just wants instant music from various sources at the touch of a button. I thought there would be some UI on the television screen that I would have to interact with but there's not. To primary work with 6 channels which you setup on your iPhone/Android app. Each channel can be setup with a different source and playlist, for example top 100 tracks on Spotify or a certain album on Spotify or your iTunes library. It also supports playing radio stations from all over the world including probably your local city radio station. Now when I'm at home, without turning the TV on, I just press the audio button on the remote and any button through 1-6 to play my preprogrammed music. Something peppy, something slow, maybe even a playlist of latest podcasts to catch up on, instantly steaming in within a few seconds of picking up the remote. While playing Spotify, I can even skip the track through not just the remote but my laptop or iPhone. I think this took Bose some good software engineering to build, and ultimately I think that's worth 100 bucks.

I do think that Bose could have shrank this hardware and embedded it straight in to all Cinemate devices, added in $50 to the pricetag and it would have certainly improved the bang-for-buck ratio on the Cinemates. I'm sure they had their reason. In the end I like it and do think its worth the extra money.

Coconut Tiki Mugs Set of 4
Coconut Tiki Mugs Set of 4
Offered by Xtreme Barware
Price: $28.99
2 used & new from $23.50

5.0 out of 5 stars I anticipate many drinks for years to come, March 26, 2015
These mugs are perfect. Just like the ones at Trader Vic's or other quality tiki bar. They are ceramic with a bit of a matte finish and have a good weight to them. They don't look like they hold a lot but they hold a whole 16 ounces like a regular cup, I verified. Packaging was great. Definitely will hold up for years and worth the not-cheap price. Cheers!
Comment Comment | Permalink