Profile for Jeff Nichols > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeff Nichols "Jeff" RSS Feed (New York)

Page: 1 | 2
iMBAPrice iMBA-PS-06MF 6-Feet Gold Plated 3.5mm Male to 3.5mm Female Extension Stereo Audio Cable
Price: $7.99
3 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Only left channel worked-- EDIT: just shove it in harder, January 4, 2014
I hate when a simple product like this doesn't do its ONE job. Only left channel audio plays. Will have to replace.

Edit:

I just had to shove it in harder. Now it works perfectly... and has a very snug, secure fit which I appreciate. Good product.

6 feet NoteGuard Kensington Compatible Universal Security Cable Lock with 2 Keys
Offered by PiThree
Price: $8.49
8 used & new from $1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap piece of garbage, January 4, 2014
Didn't actually secure my laptop about 50% of the time (I would notice at the end of the day).

Broke after about a week of use.

The only thing I've ever purchased from Amazon that was really just a cheap piece of garbage.

Garland Rug 3-Piece Traditional Nylon Washable Bathroom Rug Set, Seafoam
Garland Rug 3-Piece Traditional Nylon Washable Bathroom Rug Set, Seafoam
Price: $41.97
3 used & new from $33.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems high quality enough, January 4, 2014
Never bought bath mats before. Price seemed high, but quality is good, decently thick. Color is true to picture and very nice.

Nexxt  Hadfield 5-Tier Leaning Wall Shelf, Black
Nexxt Hadfield 5-Tier Leaning Wall Shelf, Black
Price: $67.14
5 used & new from $56.65

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love it, January 3, 2014
I noticed many of the reviews weren't positive, but I got it anyway.

Construction of the wood is better than I expected-- its slightly higher than the quality of WalMart furniture.

Its smaller than I imagined it being (it IS accurate to dimensions), which suited me perfectly.

Aesthetically, its perfect.

A bit flimsy-- I wouldn't put too many heavy things on it.

iPearl mCover Hard Shell Case for 14-inch ASUS VivoBook S400CA series TouchScreen UltraBook laptop(14" S400CA) - BLUE
Offered by iPearl-Inc
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate color in pictures, December 10, 2013
Good fit, easy to put on.Has a space so the ethernet works.

Sadly, the color,when actually on, looks nothing like the picture. You have to picture the picture + it is transparent, so it becomes your color + black.

The blue, for example, looks nothing like the slatish royal blue. It is a dark navy.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Tasting Whey Protein I Have Ever Tried, April 28, 2011
For the price, you cant beat this stuff. If you want to hold your nose and down it, go for it.

This is the cheapest Whey protein I ever bought-- trying to save some money. Now I'm torn between completely wasting the $25 it cost and throwing it out so that I can order a tastier whey Protein.

In other, more expensive brands, my protein shakes were actually an enjoyable meal that I could look forward to-- slightly tastier than a slim fast. These taste like mixed up chocolately-concrete. It is disgusting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2011 12:58 PM PDT

Corsair XMS2 2 GB (2 X 1 GB 240-pin DDR2 800Mhz Dual Channel Memory Kit
Corsair XMS2 2 GB (2 X 1 GB 240-pin DDR2 800Mhz Dual Channel Memory Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, November 27, 2009
I already had two gigs of corsair xms2 RAM. These modules, when added, unlocked new EPP performance modes on my motherboard. 10% Ram OC simply by moving a slider. It was very nice. Paid only $50 with shipping for 2 gigs, which was great.

Mass Effect - PC
Mass Effect - PC
Offered by BLS Mart
Price: $11.50
49 used & new from $2.72

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best games to hit the PC in years., June 2, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect - PC (DVD-ROM)
I'll start off bluntly: people are overreacting to the DRM. You're allowed 3 activations and if you need more than that, you can call EA customer support and explain your situation. Given what a PR disaster the DRM has been, I doubt they'll be anything but accommodating. Moreover, after a certain amount of time activations will automatically free up for you to use. The online activation was, for me, completely unnoticed. I had the game installed and running well faster than most other PC games.

Tragically overshadowed by the DRM is one of the greatest games to hit the PC in years. Anyone who loved Knights of the Old Republic or Jade Empire will be in heaven when playing Mass Effect. There is something in this game for everyone, and I cannot praise it enough. I wholeheartedly recommend you stop reading now and buy it. If you need more proof, read on.

Visuals/performance: My system consists of an AMD 6400+, an 8800 GTS 640 MB, and 2 gigs of RAM, using the 175.12 drivers. Not the best system, but far from the worst. Throughout the entire game performance exceeded 60 FPS with settings maxed at 1680 x 1050, with 8X CSAA. Bioware truly did a great job optimizing the game for PC and for choosing when to minimize and maximize details.

(If you're experiencing performance problems on decent systems, make sure you have the latest video and audio drivers, along with the latest version of direct X. This game is exceptionally stable and well-performing-- if not, odds are the problem is on your end.)

The graphics are certainly above average. Character models and faces look nearly as good as those in Crysis, and for the most part the environment textures are pretty good. You will, sadly, see some extremely low poly trees off in the distance, or perhaps a low-resolution background texture. Thankfully, These weaknesses are hidden by liberal use of depth of field, motion blur, and bloom effects. In short, the game does a great job of choosing where to spend your system's power. The end result is a game that is absolutely beautiful with amazing performance.

Unlike most recent PC games, I experienced NO random crashes or glitches while playing, even with overclocks. It's worth noting that there is a "film grain" effect that is on by default. It makes the game look somewhat more like a movie, but I personally hated it. I've noticed some other reviewers complaining about the "grainy, ugly, textures". Odds are they just didn't figure out how to disable "film grain" under video settings.

The gameplay is immensely fun and satisfying. You get a pretty standard set of weapons: a pistol, shotgun, assault rifle, and sniper rifle. All are useful and enjoyable; I was particularly a fan of the sniper rifle. The cover system is very similar to Gears of War, minus all the crazy dodging: you can take cover against a wall, rock, etc, and then shoot out around it. Simple, but fun. I turned the aim assist completely off, and I was impressed at how good Mass Effect was at being a shooter. Usually when RPG and shooter mix, both are weakened; in Mass Effect, I found the opposite. For RPG-fans who may not be as keen to shooters, you can turn the aim assist all the way up and hardly have to worry about aiming.

The RPG aspects, in my opinion, are very well developed. Instead of using a more standard RPG system (Fortitude, Strength, Endurance...), you get a simple chart featuring each skill or ability that you can level up. Everything is explained in detail, and it is a very simple system. I imagine those who are new to RPGs would have no problem with it, while there is still tons of depth for those of us who are keen to it.

The story is simply amazing. It lives up to its label as a "science-fiction epic". The dialogue system is the best ever created, hands down, and keeps you paying more attention to the story, the characters, and your own choices than you have ever before. I obviously can't go into too much detail, but rest assured that it is at least as good as the first Knights of the Old Republic.

Morality choices have been popular for a while now, but BioWare makes things a bit more serious. You are given choices that have no clear good or bad choice-- I actually had to stop a few times and think about what I was going to do. Other times, of course, there is a good thing to do, and a bad thing to do-- as there should be. There is black and white, but more importantly, there is gray. The ending, I will say, is not a cliffhanger or some other garbage. It is well done in the way that A New Hope is well done. It leaves room for the sequels, but does not set it up frustratingly (like Crysis, for example, or BioShock).

The people moaning that this is "an obvious port" are looking for an excuse to complain. I can honestly say that I don't think this game would be any different had it been designed exclusively for PC. It takes a bit to get used to because it is a very unique game, but the UI is great for PC, and you have all the settings and video options you would expect. It performs and looks very good... people will just complain about anything. Bioware is already working on a patch, preparing to provide us with free downloadable content, and promising to support this game for years to come like they've done with all of their games in the past (Neverwinter nights is getting a new patch soon and its 6 years old. Have some faith in a great developer!). This is a better PC game than most that are developed exclusively for PC. The UI adjustments, ability to select hot keys, and improved squad management and inventory really make this a better game than the 360 version, and a game suited perfectly to the PC.

Now I will briefly describe the things that kept this game from being absolutely perfect. These issues are small, and honestly did not make the game any worse while playing-- just minor things that I'd like to see corrected via patches. 1) It took a bit of a hassle to set up hot-keys other than 1-8, which I prefer to keep my weapons on. 2) I'd like to be able to use WASD and the mouse on the galaxy map; not just the mouse. 3) We can already select anisotropic filtering, but allow us to change it from the default of 4. We already can by going into the config file (my documents/bioware/masseffect/bioengine.cfg) same goes for trilinear filtering. 4) an option to automatically equip Shephard and the squad with the best weapons/mods available for those that don't feel like worrying about the RPG aspects. 5) The Mako has some terrible physics. doesn't really detract from gameplay, but its a bit funny to watch. 6) Self-shadowing is a bit blocky. I'd like an option to disable self-shadowing and only leave other dynamic shadows, along with an option to increase shadow-filtering quality to get rid of blockiness. You can also already do this by editing config files.

The last major reason to buy this game, I'd argue, is the replayability. There are 3 very different classes in Mass Effect-- the soldier, tech specialist, and biotic, and 3 classes that offer a mixture of each. Every one offers a totally different experience. More over, various achievements you unlock allow you to start the game with different skills than would normally be allowed. For example, if you get 150 kills with a sniper rifle, you get an achievement. You can then start a game with a character that wouldn't normally be able to use a sniper rifle and unlock the ability. This applies to all sorts of skills and talents, along with armor and weapons. You can also choose to replay the game with a character you already beat the game with, allowing you to keep your equipment, skills, and levels. Enemies will be scaled to your difficulty, allowing you to keep playing with a particularly fun character, or to take one to the max level of 60. Mass Effect is an extremely replayable game. With the first set of downloadable content coming out for free soon, and other content coming later (and the promise of continued support and updates from BioWare), the deal is only getting better.

I'll say it one last time: this is a game that you should buy, play, and love. If you let some silly DRM sway you, or a bunch of idiots who reviewed the game without playing it themselves: your loss.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2008 1:00 PM PDT

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6 GHz Processor with 1024KB L2 Cache and 64-Watt Socket AM2 (ADO5000DSWOF)
6 used & new from $17.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Best value available-- but a bit too weak, March 30, 2008
This processor is a bit too weak to be used in gaming. In modern games like UT3, I find it bottlenecking me in many situations, even with overclocks to 2.9 (2.8 is about as far as I can get it go with any stability). Hearsay is that all 512 x 512 l2-cache Athlon models suffer poor in-game performance because of the 65nm architecture. My 6400+ is on its way, so I'll be able to test whether or not that is true shortly.

I'm putting this in my dad's system. It is an amazing performer for your dollar if you are planning on using the internet, word-processing, listening to music-- basically, anything but gaming.

And, in fact, it's DECENT at gaming. I guess I'm not complaining.

Razer DeathAdder 3G Infrared Gaming Mouse
Razer DeathAdder 3G Infrared Gaming Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick review, because this mouse is perfection., December 15, 2007
I went into a brick-and-mortar store so I could try out each major gaming mouse and decide which I liked best. My top choices were the Logitech G5 and the razer deathadder. When I entered the store, I ended up trying out what I believed was the Razer Lachesis... which cost's a whopping $80. I agonized over it, not wanting to waste the money, but in the end I realized the lachesis just felt so much better than any other mouse I had ever touched; it was perfect. I had to have it. Price was no concern.

I left the display unit that was hooked up and looked for a boxed one. There was no lachesis; the model I had been enjoying was the deathadder. It was so ergonomic, so perfect, and so responsive, that I had assumed it must be the $80 model... not the $50 model. I was completely elated, and immediately bought it.

I've had it a couple days now, and it's delivered the best gaming weekend of my life. Unreal Tournament 3, Team Fortress 2, Crysis-- I feel almost like I have an unfair advantage in multiplayer. It's so precise, so smooth... it's just wonderful. The design feels perfect to the hand, and your hand will appreciate it after long-sessions.

The software is great and easy to use. I just opened it up, set the polling rate and DPI to the highest values (there are various presets to use, also) and closed it up. I doubt I'll ever need to play with it again; it did all I need to do in one use. I really can't stress how wonderful this mouse is. The copperhead and G5 have a slightly higher DPI count, at 2000, but this mouse FEELS so much better that I can't recommend them.

Buy this up, and enjoy.