Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed

Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Return of Darth Maul
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Return of Darth Maul
DVD ~ Various
Price: $9.98
23 used & new from $5.76

4.0 out of 5 stars cool story., January 19, 2013
This is a great mashup of the episodes revolving around the return of Darth Maul. May be a little scarry for children under 10.

A Memory of Light  (Wheel of Time, Book 14)
A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, Book 14)
by Robert Jordan
Price: $19.99
204 used & new from $0.85

5.0 out of 5 stars An Ending., January 19, 2013
14 years I have waited to read this book. I was not disappointed. With this book Sanderson tops my list of favorite fantasy authors. I cannot ask for any better end to this most amazing series.
Finishing someone else's work is a task not taken up without automatically scaring the existing audience. Naturally we worried that this would never be completed when Jordan woke from the dream. And then Worried again when this little known author took up the reins. Would the story feel right? Would Sanderson capture the essence of Jordan's world in the right way? And why three more books instead of the one Jordan promised? We felt all the things and more when tht day came.

But Sanderson Accomplished the impossible. I am amazed at how well he handled this work. This is not only the last book, but the greatest of the series. A perfect and final ending to my favorite story. This was the gem at the end adventure, the horde of gold at the bottom of the rainbow. With this epic, the our patience is rewarded. This is truly the perfect ending.

Darth Plagueis (Star Wars)
Darth Plagueis (Star Wars)
by James Luceno
22 used & new from $38.27

4.0 out of 5 stars The book of Origins, June 18, 2012
Great story that shows the total superiority of the Sith while giving in depth origin stories for Darth Sideous, Darth Maul, Padame, Viceroy Gunray, Count Dooku, Qui Gon Jin, and touches on/fleshes out the background of many others. The book is thrilling and captivating, while giving a philosophical look at the Dark Side mentality, the rule of two and the frailties and hypocritical nature of the Jedi order.

This book is one that emphasizes the political machinations of the Sith along with brutal conflicts and fascinating space battles. Combined with the events leading the the Naboo blockade and many other important points leading up and overlapping episode 1, this is a must read.

This is a book that makes any Star wars lover, but especially us Sith sympathizers, love the genre even more. Go get you some.

Elantris
Elantris
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $5.78

3.0 out of 5 stars so many high points yet it somehow misses the mark., May 26, 2011
This review is from: Elantris (Kindle Edition)
So I am a huge Sanderson fan. I haven't read all of his works but i have been very impressed with what I have read........until now. Elantris is a book that left me with the distinct feeling that the author had an awesome idea for a short story and spent several hundred pages getting ready to tell it. It seems that it takes forever to get to know all the cast and their personalities. Many times the conversation seems like a cleverly disguised history lesson on the world of elantris. But ultimately I just felt bored throughout.

The characters, while very well developed were stereotypical and overplayed. The virtuous prince, raised in a family of a vapid detached mother and an evil, money hungry, dictator father some how produced a virtuous, selfless, caring and genuinely well rounded perfect ruler. The independent, highly intelligent female lead who can fight and is perfect to continue to galvanize and motivate the political social club started by the prince into a revolutionary force to overthrow the evil dictator father. And the zealot priest antagonist just so happens, as we find out right at the end, to be the ubber ninja monk boss fight at the end of the book. Even the supporting cast felt like it was picked off the ready made support characters list.

I don't know. I believe that many people will enjoy the book. But to me it was very obviously the work of a fledgling author. I am glad that Sanderson has developed beyond where he was when he wrote this.

Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set (Mistborn, The Hero of Ages, & The Well of Ascension)
by Brandon Sanderson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $15.00
83 used & new from $15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing example of how fantasy should be written., January 21, 2011
I have been reading fantasy for years. Through that time I have come to look for one thing. Believability.

This is fantasy, so I am not saying that it has to convince you that magic is real or dragons fly around snatching up fair maidens. But when an author writes 45 successive books in a world spanning, decades long war scenario, and not a single truly bad thing happens to any of the primary cast.......I start shaking my head. When a Dastardly evil villian starts rampaging the countryside destroying everything with no believable motive.....I start shaking my head. If the evil overlord starts monologuing and then turns into a snake giving the hero just enough time to enact his awesome plan to defeat the insurmountable odds.....I start crying. But the worst has to be when the main heroic characters go through years of developement, massive shifts in personality, huge increases in responsibility, enormous strains of stress, grief or joy and yet no where do they make anything close to a truly damaging mistake or fail in any real way. Much less do we see them make a selfish or possibly morally questionable decission. This is what I mean about Believability.

Sanderson does not have this flaw. His world is dark and oppressive. Evil is truly evil. His heroic characters are real people with flaws, psychological damage, prejudices, desires for vengeance and completely human struggles with morality and ethics. He knows how to make you feel for the oppressed, abused peasants you pass whilst traveling along with the characters. And even his villains are dynamic and believable with motivations that are understandable results of the lives they have lead. No where in this work will you find the Hero who somehow was miraculously born with an inherent sense of justice, morality, honor and self sacrifice even though they were raised in a evil society and their very parents were diabolical and sinister *cough, Drizzt Do'Urden, cough*.

The best part of my new found respect for this amazing author is that even while he accomplishes everything I spoke of above, those are far from being the only highlights of his work. Sanderson has developed a world that is alien to us and yet something we can relate to. It is fascinating in it's differences and intriguing in it's similarities. His combats are dynamic and fast past, creating images in your mind not unlike those seen in the Matrix or Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Three distinct magic systems are present, each with their own fascinating methods. Governmental system of intrigue and political maneuverings are fascinating and two races of creatures, with no resemblance to Elves or Dwarves, add a level of depth to the world unseen in most works.

This series is refreshing, awe inspiring and is evidence of an author with such skill that I believe his works to stand in the top echelon of fantasy authors. Read this series, it will open the door to a world unlike anything you have ever imagined.

The Black Wing (Dragonlance Saga)
The Black Wing (Dragonlance Saga)
by Mary Kirchoff
105 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible, February 4, 2009
This book is flat horrible. It has a broken, no sense story line about a virtually replaceable villain from the chronicles series. Most of the sequences are disjointed and completely unnecessary and her final adversary is such a cliche, underdeveloped "knight of solamnia". He truly reminded me of how many people misunderstand the paladin when playing one in any role playing game. Worthless.