Profile for Craig L. Howe > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 425

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Craig L. Howe RSS Feed (Darien, CT United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Magnetic Therapy Bracelets (Copper) for Men and Women (Fashion Striped) - Introductory Price - 99.9% Pure Copper Bangle Contains 6 Rare Earth Therapy Magnets to Relieve Aches and Pains from Arthritis, RSI, Tendonitis, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and more. Effective and Stylish, This Copper Cuff Bracelet Also Makes a Great Gift for Any Occasion!
Offered by Prime Products Unlimited
Price: $24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Looking Bracelet, June 25, 2015
Go ahead.

Call me a sap.

The e-mail offering me the Copper Magnetic Therapy Bracelet for Men and Women (Fashion Striped) contained the magic word: Free.

Who knows, I thought, it might work. My knees ache. I have undergone several surgeries to correct or repair problems with them. My hips ache. My doctor warned me decades ago that I was too big to continue distance running. Perhaps he was right. My hands ache. I am getting old. My parts are wearing out and stopping operation.

I will try it.

The Copper Magnetic Therapy Bracelet for Men and Women (Fashion Striped) arrived promptly and I proceeded to wear it for the next week.

It may have helped with my aches. I could not be sure. So I removed it from my wrist only to find a green oxidation stain on my wrist. I gave it to my wife. She experiences similar aches. After one day’s usage she returned to me.

I decided to do some research. Wikipedia states:

“Copper is commonly used in jewelry, and folklore says that copper bracelets relieve arthritis symptoms.[100] In alternative medicine, some proponents speculate that excess copper absorbed through the skin can treat some ailments, or that the copper somehow creates a magnetic field, treating nearby tissue.

“In various studies, though, no difference is found between arthritis treated with a copper bracelet, magnetic bracelet, or placebo bracelet.[101][102] As far as medical science is concerned, wearing copper has no known benefit, for any medical condition at all. A human being can have a dietary copper deficiency, but this is very rare, because copper is present in many common foods, including legumes (beans), grains, and nuts. [103]

“There is no evidence that copper even can be absorbed through the skin.”

This is for sure: the bracelet looks great!

Gillette Fusion Proglide Power Razor Blade Refills for Men, 8 Count
Gillette Fusion Proglide Power Razor Blade Refills for Men, 8 Count
Price: $30.49
2 used & new from $30.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A Welcome E-mail, April 7, 2015
This morning I opened my mailbox to discover a welcome announcement amongst the clutter. My Gillette Fusion Proglide Power Razor Blade Refills for Men, 8 Count would soon be in the mail.

What a relief. I am running short of razor blades. There will be no pending trip to my local drug store to find a clerk with the proper key to unlock the blade display; no interminably long wait in register line while customers fish their purses in pursuit of the pennies required to make precise change.

I have been tempted to cultivate the hairs on my face into a flattering beard. But I have been married long enough to know that in a few short days of shaveless bliss my wife will register her dissatisfaction

Oh, I have tried other blade delivery services; they just never seem to work. The blades do not fit under my nose; the handles jam and requiring replacement every few months.

No, in two short days, the blades will arrive at my doorstep. No postage; five percent discount, the wife will remain happy: I do not have to think them for another eight weeks.

Done.

Hoax: Prematurely Terminated (Rollie Kemp thriller series #5 Book 1)
Hoax: Prematurely Terminated (Rollie Kemp thriller series #5 Book 1)
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Hillman Needs an Editor, November 9, 2014
Interesting story the grammatical and spelling mistakes made more difficult to read.

Nikon D810 Experience - The Still Photography Guide to Operation and Image Creation with the Nikon D810
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I am comfortable with the brand’s feel, October 29, 2014
I purchase a new camera body about once a decade. Over the years I have remained a Nikon user. I am comfortable with the brand’s feel. For the most part, the controls are found in the same place.

My first day with the D810 was a shock. It is very different than my old D200. So off to Amazon I went in search of a supplement to the 502-page manual. This book is a Godsend for the new Nikon D810 user. It illuminates the wonders of the Nikon D810 something the manual fails to accomplish.

Klostermann explains the myriad of the camera’s functions, particularly the menu items. He provides an Excel spread sheet of recommended settings that was indispensible in my transition from my old camera body to the new one.

The book is well written and organized. Screen shots accompany each feature’s explanation. Unlike the manual, however, Klostermann also provides insightful applications.

For me, this book was a must. Without it, I would have been tempted to return the greatest camera I have ever owned.

The Plain of Dead Cities: A Syrian Tale
The Plain of Dead Cities: A Syrian Tale
by Bruce McLaren
Price: $19.95
67 used & new from $0.54

5.0 out of 5 stars A Start for Syrian Clarity, September 30, 2014
I will admit it. To me modern Syria is an enigma. Recent headlines defy understanding.

Bruce McLaren’s book, The Plain of Dead Cities: A Syrian Tale helped provide me with smidgeon of clarity. An Australian-born academic he excavated numerous sites across the Middle East, dating from the Neolithic to the Islamic Periods. Using the format of a novel, he deploys this knowledge to weave a provocative tapestry from the social, religious and historic strands to help explain the complexity of Syrian current events.

McLaren does for the Syrian conflict what Thomas Friedman did for the Middle East mélange in his classic book, From Beirut to Jerusalem. With an admirable command of the language, he offers powerful insights into today’s headlines.

McLaren does little to hide his admiration for the country and its people. Yet with the eyes of an archaeologist and student of history, he places today’s Syrian events in a long-term context. He views the country as a vibrant land in the forefront of change.

The Plain of Dead Cities is a great read. It is insightful while not losing its readability. If you are like me and at a loss to understand today’s Syrian events, McLaren’s book is a great place to start searching for clarity.

No Way Back: A Novel
No Way Back: A Novel
Price: $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Wild Read, August 6, 2014
No Way Back is a wild ride. At times it is entertaining; others, it stretches credibility. At moments it is touching; others, so dark it prompts the reader to quit.

The story is simple. Jimmy Thane thinks that his new job as the CEO of a failing company is his last opportunity to life around. In the past each time he usually opts for the wrong path. At the peak of his career, he turned alcohol: later he opted for drugs. And when his wife lost faith in him, he turned to other women. Now, Jimmy’s clean, and he faces a new dilemma.

He has convinced an old friend to give him the job of a CEO at a failing company in South Florida. He has seven weeks to turn it around. He should think again.
From the moment he enters the building, he senses there’s something very wrong. Nothing is as it seems.

Jimmy begins to feel he is living another nightmare.

If you are looking for a light, late summer read, stick with this novel: its conclusion even shocked me.

Left Brain, Right Stuff: How Leaders Make Winning Decisions
Left Brain, Right Stuff: How Leaders Make Winning Decisions
by Phil Rosenzweig
Price: $23.22
63 used & new from $3.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Real World Decisions, February 17, 2014
Left Brain, Right Stuff begins where the decisions making experiments end and real world decision making begins. In this Always entertaining, yet practical book Phil Rosenzweig argues for complex decisions leaders require an ability to shape opinions, inspire followers, manage risk, outmaneuver and outperform rivals.

These decisions call for detailed analysis and calculation—left brain—as well as the willingness to push boundaries and take bold action—right stuff. Eexperiments showing cognitive biases and irrational judgments apply only to particular situations- everything is held constant but one variable while subjects exert noinfluence over outcomes. In real strategic decisions, he posits, this is untrue.

Left Brain, Right Stuff draws on a wealth of examples to propose a new model for real world decision making. The author’s analysis of research provides insights on topics such as confidence and overconfidence, the uses and limits of decision models, the illusion of control, expert performance, competitive bidding and new venture management, and the the nuisances of leadership.

Performance is relative, failure’s consequences harsh. With this book Rosenzweig advances the reader’s understanding of decision making’s components, improving his or her odds of success.

Buried Secrets (Nick Heller)
Buried Secrets (Nick Heller)
by Joseph Finder
220 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Finder at his Best, June 22, 2011
Joseph Finder newest novel, Buried Secrets, is his best. And that says something.

The second in Finder's Nick Heller series finds Nick working out of his home town, Boston. There he's urgently summoned by an old family friend who needs his help.

His eighteen-year-old daughter, Alexandra, has been kidnapped. Her abduction was sophisticated. Executed with precision; no trace evidence is left. Alexandra, whom Nick has known since she was an infant, is held prisoner in an underground crypt, a camera trained on her. Her suffering streams live over the internet for all to see.

This tale has everything: hedge fund operators, an uber-patroitic lawyer, zealous FBI agents, former lovers and shady investors.

If you start this thriller, be prepared to write-off the rest of the day. If you love thrillers like I do, you won't put it down until you reach its last period.

Finder is one of this country's best thriller writers. His previous previous thrillers, most recently the New York Times bestsellers Paranoia, Company Man, and Killer Instinct were great. Buried Secrets propels his talent to a new level.

You Are What You Choose: The Habits of Mind That Really Determine How We Make Decisions
by Scott De Marchi
59 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another View of Decision Making, January 12, 2010
In this book Scott De Marchi and James T. Hamilton, two Duke University professors, offer a new and ingenious way to examine and predict how people make decisions.

People, whether rational or irrational, approach choice in different ways. Their choices they argue, are not understandable unless you know who and what the people are. To a large degree how you choose, they posit, matters more than what you are choosing.

To approach the problem, the two Duke Professors, offer their TRAITS model:

* Time
* Risk
* Altruism
* Information
* meToo
* Stickiness.

Interpreting data from more than 30,000 subjects, the authors show decision makers stick with their entrenched habits of mind and are consistent about how much information they gather before opting for a choice.

Blood Revenge
Blood Revenge
by David Thor
43 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary? Relevant? Non-Stop?, December 17, 2009
This review is from: Blood Revenge (Hardcover)
The e-mail offering the Pointed Pundit a book, promised an "extraordinarily relevant novel...a non-stop story" Why not? I thought. I love a fast-moving thriller.

The Pointed Pundit considers himself to be an "iron-ass," capable of taking some of the most complex literature, delving into it, and emerging with a semblance of understanding. Not in this case, the Pointed Pundit kept nodding off while reading.

One benefit, the folks at work tell me I look great. The bags around my eyes are gone.

"Have you been on vacation?" they ask. Strike "fast moving."

The concept behind the novel probably is relevant, but I may have missed it in between my naps.

I promised I would read it; I finished it - three stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20