Profile for TammieReviews > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 69

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

TammieReviews "Voracious Reader & Opinion Sharer" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Heaven is for Real
Heaven is for Real
DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars ... in the beginning but turned out to be a great movie., July 28, 2014
Slow going in the beginning but turned out to be a great movie.

Liberating Lacey
Liberating Lacey

5.0 out of 5 stars Liberating Lacey, July 2, 2014
This review is from: Liberating Lacey (Kindle Edition)
Some books surprise me, and this is one of those books! It's steamy and sizzles with what one would expect from erotica, but the story is so much more than that. Lacey is a confident businesswoman, but her recent divorce has her second-guessing herself--and wanting to experience real passion. She finds that passion with sexy cop Hunter, a man 8 years her junior! Liberating Lacey is so incredibly sensual (the love scenes will make you pant!), but it's their developing relationship that really makes this book stand-out!

Turn It Up
Turn It Up

4.0 out of 5 stars Turn It Up, July 2, 2014
This review is from: Turn It Up (Kindle Edition)
Emotional, funny, heartbreaking, sexy, and sweetly romantic. That's how I felt while reading Turn It Up! The best feeling I can get when I finish a book is knowing parts of it will stay with me forever -- I don't think I'll ever look at canned peach halves the same way ever again, lol!

Charlie and Bastion are best friends; have been for six years. The ER doctor and late-night radio disc jockey met and the unlikely pair clicked. They share everything together -- even a three times a week radio talk show called "Let's Talk About Sex". Dr. Hot and Honeypot spice up the airwaves with Bastion's knowledge of medical information and Charlie's sexpert insight.

I was hooked straight from the beginning as the pair lounge around a campfire; flirting, teasing, discussing all kinds of things as best friends are known to do. The conversation turns to secrets of which Charlie assures Bastion that she keeps nothing from him. She's frightened by the flash of guilt that crosses Bastion's face! She knows he's hiding something from her, insists that he share, and when he finally does it sends poor Charlie into a panic: Bastion admits that he's in love with her. Not only does he love her, he wants her as his wife! I know what you're thinking: the hero declares his love from the beginning!? Yes!

It's not all a fairytale after that. Charlie has a very complicated relationship with love and sex. She developed her bombshell looks (she's described as being a Betty Boop) at an early age. Since then, men have wanted one thing from her--her body, never her heart. To protect herself, she uses sex as a weapon. To Charlie, Bastion's declaration of love puts him in the same category as every other man who's wanted to use her. She's fearful of losing their friendship. It saddened me how such a confident woman had such a low opinion of herself.

The hardest part of this book for me was understanding why Charlie couldn't see the difference between Bastion and other men from her past. She trusted Bastion, loved him, believed in him, but she just couldn't make the connection between how he felt for her as a friend growing deeper and fuller in an intimate relationship.

Thankfully, Bastion knows how Charlie thinks. He realizes she uses sex to hide from love. So begins a battle of wills; Bastion refusing to sleep with Charlie until she says, "Yes." and Charlie trying to get Bastion in bed to prove he doesn't need to spout words of love to have her. The heat climbs as Bastion uses their radio show to get idea on how to persuade Charlie to marry him! The race "To Bed or Wed" commences and the things these two are willing to do to win will alternately make you laugh/moan/cry! Bastion woos Charlie. Charlie turns up the sex-kitten routine. I couldn't decide which one I wanted to win! Their on-air banter throughout the book were some of the best moments

I really fell in love with Bastion. Inez Kelley created a hero with plenty of flaws, but you just know he's perfect for Charlie. His love for her glowed on every page. At one point in the book, Bastion chooses Charlie over a dream he thought he'd never have. I cried when he told her, my heart breaking for him and loving him more with every self-sacrificing word he spoke.

Charlie's reaction to that moment is what kept this from being a five-star read for me. By that time, I'd learned to understand her tough outer-shell, gotten to learn the deep love she feels for Bastion. Her strength was commendable. Then Bastion makes a grand gesture, clearly with her in mind, and she does a really stupid thing. I can't tell you or else I'd ruin the moment, but suffice it to say I wanted to clobber her! It was hypocritical of her to feel that way and the following chapter ratcheted-up my annoyance. Had Charlie been the one to rectify things after that, I maybe could have given it five-stars, but she wasn't. Again, it was Bastion who made the effort and her sudden epiphany had me hollering, "Hallelujah! It's about friggin' time!"

I wouldn't be doing this review justice if I didn't mention Caz (Bastion's brother). He is the biggest surprise in the whole book! Caz is a tattooed rock star who struggled with staying clean and sober. As his story unfolded throughout the book, I was dying to learn more! I needed to find out who Maggie and Grace were. As soon as I finished Turn It Up, I checked to see if Caz has a book of his own (please Lord let there be a book!) I was thrilled to find that not only does Caz get his HEA, his short story is a freebie: Wishing for Grace. Be sure you grab it from Ms. Kelley's website!

The Keeper (Men Out of Uniform Book 11)
The Keeper (Men Out of Uniform Book 11)

4.0 out of 5 stars 4-Stars - Contemporary Romance, July 2, 2014
Favorite Quote:

Mariette said: "Are you married?"
That certainly came out of left field. Hadn't they covered this? In a roundabout way, at least? "No."
"Ever been married?"
"No."
"Then who trained you?"
He blinked. "Come again?"
"You just got up from the table, rinsed your plate and loaded it into the dishwasher. That's learned behavior. It's not normal for your kind."

What a surprise read! I loved so much about this book. The characters are all heart-warming and put a constant smile on my face. It was nice to read a romance with a H/h who didn't play games with each other. Mariette and Jack were perfect for each other. Truly a sweet story, with enough sizzle to keep a girl satisfied.

Girl Least Likely to Marry (The Wedding Season Book 2)
Girl Least Likely to Marry (The Wedding Season Book 2)
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A+ Contemporary Romance, July 2, 2014
What happens when a Girl Genius and a Sexy Jock meet? A lot of pheromone sniffing and two insatiable sexual appetites!

This book marks a few firsts for me:

1. First Harlequin KISS
2. First Amy Andrews read

I don't know if this is the norm for other Harlequin KISS books, or if it's just Amy Andrews's great writing style, but this book reminded me of the old Harlequin Temptations. I always loved those books and hated when they fizzled out. Amy's voice is fun and brilliant! The plot's not overly complicated or dramatic, but is far from uninteresting. It held my attention without any problem.

Cassiopeia "Cassie" Barclay is a Mensa-level smarty pants; think Sheldon Cooper ("Big Bang Theory") and Temperance Brennan ("Bones"). Cassie's unemotional, logical, and doesn't believe in love because it can't be proven by science. She believe in pheromones, though, and Tuck's are a thing of magic!

Samuel "Tuck" Tucker is an ex-football QB and businessman. He's no dumb jock, though he lets Cassie (very comically) believe he is when they first meet. He's had a tough few years emotionally, so he does what any alpha man would do...he sleeps with a lot of women. Yep, he's a player, but it doesn't take him long to realize Cassie's different.

What starts as just sex spirals into relationship territory quickly. Cassie can't get enough of Tuck's...err pheromones, and he lures her (all logical-like) into living with him for the three months she's at university finishing up her PhD. It's the perfect solution for her to concentrate on her studies without concentrating on how much her body craves Tuck's!

Tuck knows how he feels before Cassie. Poor Cassie has a lot of emotional-growing to do and has to learn, the hard way, what love is all about. I love that it's Cassie's best friends who swoop in to help her piece everything together!

Highly Recommended!

Baiting the Maid of Honor (Entangled Brazen) (Wedding Dare series)
Baiting the Maid of Honor (Entangled Brazen) (Wedding Dare series)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Baiting the Maid of Honor, July 2, 2014
Julie's a good girl but she hasn't always been that way. She's overcompensating in a big way for the insecurities she feels. Julie is a people-pleasing organizer who couldn't say no if it was the only word in her vocabulary.

Reed's a bad boy but he's really a good guy underneath. The tattoos covering his skin are only there to hide the real man. He's broken and knows he's no good for a society princess like Julie. That doesn't mean he'll be able to keep his hands off her...or his lips, or any other part of his body aching to join in!

I thought Julie + Reed's story was fun. There's moments I needed to give them both a swift slap upside the head! Julie is okay, except when she goes off on these never-ending tangents, laying the Southern charm and hospitality on too thick. Reed took his damaged bad boy persona too far a few times, but I understood why. There's no way around it, the romance between them is pretty damn hot. Reed's a dirty talker who thrives on controlling his woman in the bedroom. Good story and I love the epilogue!

Hearts In Darkness
Hearts In Darkness

5.0 out of 5 stars One of My Favorites of 2012!, June 11, 2012
Freakin' fantabulous cover!
Equally stupendous book!

Hearts in Darkness isn't like any stuck-in-an-elevator book I've read. Caden & Mckenna have only enough time to get brief glimpses of each other before the elevator goes black. Then, Caden has a panic attack. Yes, our hero is a bit claustrophobic and we find out the heartbreaking story behind Caden's fear and scars. As the hours pass, they really get to know each other. They laugh, share stories, and the sexual tension thickens. The real fun begins after they are rescued, neither wanting to walk away, and both full of uncertainties. I loved when Caden took the ultimate chance with Mckenna. It all leads to a very fulfilling ending! My only wish was for an epilogue so we could see how they settle into a relationship. But, really, I have no complaints. It's a great, quick, read that I highly recommend!

For Everything
For Everything

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting plot, but a weak delivery..., February 6, 2012
This review is from: For Everything (Kindle Edition)
The whole idea for this book is wonderful. The emotional turmoil that flows through Lily, the tension, fear, and pain are all present, as well as the wonder of falling in love and being accepted. It's not hard to imagine any of it. Unfortunately, imagining is what you have to do because the writer spends more time telling and less time showing throughout the entire story. Important events where we could have learned more about the H/h and secondary characters were merely rushed over. There's a lot of head-hopping that was confusing at times. I couldn't tell who was talking without a dialogue tag; conversations didn't flow naturally. I was really disappointed in this one, but I have to give the author points for the plot and believable character reactions.

Rock Hard (The Sinners on Tour)
Rock Hard (The Sinners on Tour)
by Olivia Cunning
Price: $12.70
57 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Love/Hate Relationship for These Two!, February 4, 2012
The Sinners are back with Rock Hard Sed Lionheart! There's a lot of great detailed reviews for this book, so I'm only going to hit on a few things.

Loved...

...how crystal clear it is that Sed loves Jessica, has never stopped loving her, and will do anything to win her back once they reunite in a very unexpected way.
...how Sed knows all the words to "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion.
...Sed and Jessica's explosive passion! There's a lot less kink in this book than there was in the first book. I fully believe that's because these two need nothing more than each other to set fireworks off! They do enjoy the thrill of having sex in public places.
...Sed's competitive attitude (with himself) in the sack! This man is all about pleasing his woman, and at one point I thought *I* might pass out from his gifted talents! lol
...getting to know the Sinners even more. Trey's brother, Dare, is in this one a lot. I hope we get a story about him in the future!
...Jessica figuring out why Sed does/says certain things. It took her a while, but she finally "gets it" and clearly sees their entire history.
...the ending. So funny with all the betting going on between Sinners!

Hated...
...how badly Jessica wanted to hurt Sed. I know it's because she wasn't over him -- not even a little -- but I felt bad for him at times!
...the marathon sex. Don't get me wrong, these two have no problems in that department, but after pages upon pages upon more pages of sex, I got a little bored. Not enough for me to put the book away or even to dock it points, but enough to be a slight annoyance.
...when things go wrong for Trey and only Sed and Jessica suspect what's going on. The rest of the Sinners are oblivious and Myrna, who is always good at reading people, doesn't even believe it. I found that so hard to believe that it was a huge issue for me there at the end.

There's a lot more to love than hate about this book, which is the reason I chose to give it 5-stars instead of 4!

Share the Darkness
Share the Darkness

4.0 out of 5 stars These Characters Kept Me Turning the Pages, February 4, 2012
This one kept me turning the pages! While the action is somewhat lacking, I became invested in seeing Ward and Hannah get a happy ending. I needed to know they would be alright. Read it for the characters and not the hint of suspense.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7