Profile for K. West > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. West RSS Feed (Pittsburgh, PA)

Ninja Professional Blender (BL660)
Ninja Professional Blender (BL660)
Offered by Bay 15
Price: Click here to see our price
68 used & new from $80.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, March 17, 2014
Going from a comparably priced Kitchen Aide blender to this was a huge mistake. While I love the individual blender cups and their convenience, the rest of the experience is terrible. The base is light and cheap. It relies on suction cups to secure itself to the counter. The motor's sound has changed in the three weeks that I've owned it. My husband suspects that a ball bearing is going in the motor. Also, the tabs broke off the side of the lid closure flap, so the piece can no longer be used. If you are looking for a quality appliance, this is not the best choice to make.

Black City (A Black Wings Novel Book 5)
Black City (A Black Wings Novel Book 5)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $5.58

3.0 out of 5 stars Girlfriend needs a vacation and some new friends, April 3, 2013
While this was an incredibly fast read, there was so much happening to Maddy and company that it made me feel rushed in reading it. As soon as one crisis ends another is hot on its heels. Crisis after crisis became numbing to read. Other reviewers have noted that Maddy is too invincible for her constant questing into impossible odds. Up until this book, that had never bothered me because her loses, both physical and emotional evened out. In this book, it finally just became too much.

Maddy's friends are also an area of concern. Even as she tries to keep everyone safe and must navigate gray areas morally, she does so out of love. I think Henry is trying to literally work out the theme "the path to hell is paved with good intentions," but Maddy's friends chastise her decisions even after she has saved them from *insert impossible foe here*. Specifically, I have had enough of Beezle, a character who is supposedly Maddy's caretaker. He cares so much for her that he will eat her food after she returns from a two day fight, pregnant, having noticeably lost weight. He is also most critical of her actions and in general, I just can't buy that he is the best she can do for a friend.

I am probably in the minority here, but I prefer Nathaniel to Gabriel. I think the character has more depth and possibility where Gabriel always seemed vacillate between sulky and reverent. I enjoyed the Nathaniel/Maddy scenes in this book. They seemed believable and genuine, not manufactured like many of the scenes between Maddy and the rest of her friends.

I am looking forward to the next book, but would like for problems to start being resolved, not just half attempts at solving existing issues interrupted by more adversaries. This was a 3.5 star book for me.

The Renfield Syndrome (Rhiannon's Law, Book Two)
The Renfield Syndrome (Rhiannon's Law, Book Two)
by J. A. Saare
11 used & new from $300.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Saare's talent shines on!, September 28, 2011
I agree with other reviewers that there are some, "huh?" moments in this book that make the reader slow down and really think through what is going on. It has been over a year since I have read Dead, Undead or Somewhere In-between, and in hindsight, I probably should have gone back and re-read the novel before starting this one. It probably would have helped some of the times I needed to slow down. Despite that, Saare's novel was an edge-of your-seat treat! Rhiannon curses gratuitously, is the most honest of realists and is not afraid of getting her butt kicked, so long as there is a chance she could come out of the situation making right a wrong.

For readers looking forward to more of the Disco/Rhiannon relationship, this book may disappoint, but characters stay true to how they were conceived and don't act atypically just to create manufactured plot twists.

I love how the character, Paine, was developed and how Rhiannon faces her past instead of letting Disco help her forget it. Even the character, Carter, was done well and despite the fact that The Renfield Syndrome ends with little hope that we will see him again, I hope Saare finds a way to work him in to other books in the series.

I look forward to the next book in the series and hope readers won't have to wait as long as they did between DUOSI and RS.

Magic Burns (Kate Daniels Book 2)
Magic Burns (Kate Daniels Book 2)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written series, April 20, 2011
Although I feel this is no tthe strongest book in the series, it is still a 5 star for me. Andrews' writing is the best. Andrews continues to world build with ease and although Kate is tough, she has enough psychological issues to not be invincible (or unlikable). The mounting tension between Kate and Curran is satisfying as their relationship continues to become more complex, but the main plot of the story brings in mythologies that are obscure enough to be interesting.

The Spell (The Big Bad Wolf Series Book 3)
The Spell (The Big Bad Wolf Series Book 3)
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it better than the first two, March 29, 2011
Finally a Killough- Walden hero who didn't make me wish I wasn't attracted to men. He is assertive, alpha and Australian, but non-abusive. Pretty interesting and atypical for a boy in the Big Bad Wolf series. I liked this book much better than the first two. Walden still has redundancy issues with her heroine's names, loving either "St. Something-or-others" or girls with guy nicknames- but whatever. Obviously if I am willing to continue reading on in the series, I must find something that keeps bringing me back... I think the basic plot is where Walden's stengths are. There is an evil force amassing and operating on personal obsession and vendetta to destroy werewolf heirarchy. Interesting new characters are revealed, as are new supernatural creatures, cool. I think Walden tries too hard to keep readers gasping until the end of the book by creating the most contrived plot twists; it is reminiscient of a B horror movie in both what happens(cut off heads, burn ashes and scatter them to the wind, folks!)and how it is revealed (after the fact, nochalantly). The bottom line is that this book is pretty good, and for a dollar, it delivers.

Toil And Trouble (Jolie Wilkins Book 2)
Toil And Trouble (Jolie Wilkins Book 2)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book!, December 8, 2010
Jolie, the main character is uber-likable and caught in the middle of an otherworldly war. She is coming into her own powers as a potentially powerful witch and is aided by warlock, Rand and vampire, Sinjin.

Mallory's characters are engaging and consistent; the chemistry between all of them is the icing on the cake of an entertaining, page-turner of a story.

I devour PNR books and more often than not, end the book thinking either the story was ridiculously stupid, or the characters were total idiots. Toil and Trouble was a great second of a series: funny, entertaining and steamy in the right doses, while having an intriguing story that delivered!

Fire Burn And Cauldron Bubble (Jolie Wilkins Book 1)
Fire Burn And Cauldron Bubble (Jolie Wilkins Book 1)
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn good!, November 13, 2010
I purchased this book thinking that for 2.99, I wouldn't be too upset if it was completely ridiculous and full of unlikable characters. I was delightedly surprised however when I finished this book invested in the lead character, Jolie. She was inexperienced and blunderous, yet self- deprecating and sarcastic enough to make me giggle. She was not annoying, juvenile or nasty like characters that authors of the same genre, Kresley Crole and Gena Showalter crank out. For a paranormal romance, the story was believable and I can't wait to see what the next installment in this series brings!

Dead And Gone: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood)
Dead And Gone: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood)
by Charlaine Harris
Price: $18.01
800 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging Distraction, May 6, 2009
After reading the book until two a.m. this morning, I can attest to the fact that it is difficult to put down, but in the end it seemed to be meaningless to Sookie's life. After the major conflict of the books is resolved, it negates the whole concept of why it was fought in the first place.

Eric reveals information about himself that Harris previously said he couldn't remember and it is another example of how Harris refuses to adhere to her own mythology. The refernces to Hurricaine Katrina and her timeline of events personally bother me as well. Sookie can age, you know. The Harris' Harper Connoly series is worse with regard to this but it bothers me when Harris changes the information she herself created. Come on copy editors- Do you jobs!

Anyway, Eric's backstory further explains Bill's betrayal and in the book's later scenes, Bill has some redeeming actions and dialogue. In summary, I love Harris' characters so I joyously read every word, but I still couldn't help but feel that the plot was stuck in neutral.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2011 1:04 AM PDT

Playtex Diaper Genie - First Refill Included
Playtex Diaper Genie - First Refill Included

1.0 out of 5 stars This product "stinks", May 20, 2003
Like many first time moms, I was excited to register for everything I thought was a baby necessity. I thought the diaper genie was one of those items. At first, I was enthusiastic about this gift, then reality set it. The worst thing about this product is the actual disposal mechanism. The diaper has to be in exactly the perfect position before you twist the top. If this does not happen, the next diaper you put in falls straight through, destroying the odor sealing "sausage link" system. The only way to end this cycle of stink is to cut the bag and start over. Other reviewers complained of odors with the genie and despite being very clean, yes, it still stinks, especially when emptying it. I wish I would have tried the diaper champ instead of the genie!