Profile for Jennifer A. Ray > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 522

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jennifer A. Ray RSS Feed (TN, United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Plus Allergy
Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Plus Allergy
Offered by Hestia Electronics
Price: $545.88
44 used & new from $449.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic vacuum, but needs better documentation, July 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Nine years ago, I bought the Dyson DC15 Animal Cyclone Upright Vacuum Cleaner, and it has worked so well for so long that I was very excited to try the Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Plus Allergy. With the Dyson name coupled with my own experience with the older model, I had high expectations for this vacuum. It did not disappoint.

There is some assembly required when this device arrives, but it is easy to do and doesn't even require any tools. This particular model comes with a lot of accessories, and I doubt most people would need to purchase extra attachments unless you have a very specific need that the included attachments can't fulfill.

The accessories:
- Self-adjusting cleaner head
- Instant high-reach wand
- Tangle-free Turbine tool (this tool works well to remove pet hair from upholstery)
- Stair tool (great for vacuuming stairs)
- Combination tool
- Carbon fiber soft dusting brush (works well on blinds, keyboards, table tops, etc.)
- Multi-angle brush (twists into different positions so it is easier to clean awkward spots)
- Mattress tool (perfect for mattresses and upholstery)
- Reach under tool (handy for a quick vacuum under an appliance or piece of furniture)
- Tool bag (tote to keep all the tools and manuals together)

Two of my favorite features with my old Dyson were that there were no bags and no belts that needed to be changed. This new model boasts the same features, and I couldn't be happier. With other vacuums, the belt always seemed to break when I was in a hurry to get the house clean and had no spare belt on hand. And no one likes changing a vacuum bag - it's messy, tedious, and takes time. It is so much easier to simply lift the canister off the unit, then hold it over a trash can while pressing the release button to empty it. The fact that the canister is clear means you can easily see when you need to empty it.

I am used to the Dyson ball feature from my old vacuum and I don't think I could do without it now. This new model has this feature as well and it moves so easily around corners that it makes vacuuming a breeze.

As well as my old unit worked, the new Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Plus Allergy works even better. It picks up so much out of the carpet and it works equally well on my hard floors.

Functionally, this Dyson vacuum is outstanding. So why did I give it only four stars? I really feel that the manufacturer did a very poor job with the manual for this model. There isn't enough detail and the instructions are sketchy. There are things I had to guess at, like how to release the handle to vacuum. My old model had a button for this, but I haven't found this on the new model. Instead, it seems you must simply pull it back, which makes me worry I might be breaking it. I can't find anything in the documentation to confirm if this is the correct method. I would also have liked something in the manual that detailed the uses for each attachment that was included.

That said, I would highly recommend this vacuum to anyone who is ready to invest in a very good vacuum that will last a long time. In the nine years I have owned the older model, I've never regretted the purchase.

Bonded Sterling Silver and 14k Yellow Gold Hoop Earrings
Bonded Sterling Silver and 14k Yellow Gold Hoop Earrings
Price: $81.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and fun, perfect for dates or going out, July 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like the look of hoop earrings with some outfits. I normally wear a smaller hoop, but thought the Bonded Sterling Silver and 14k Yellow Gold Hoop Earrings would be fun to wear in my personal time. They are a bit too large to wear in a professional setting, but great for a date or going out with friends.

They are light, and feel comfortable when I wear them. The clasp is easy to manage and stays secure.

As for the look, well if I didn’t know they were bonded sterling silver and 14k gold, I’d think they were solid gold.

Dyson V6 Absolute Cordless Vacuum
Dyson V6 Absolute Cordless Vacuum
Price: $499.99
51 used & new from $450.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and versatile cordless vacuum has a short runtime, June 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Nine years ago, I bought a Dyson DC15 Animal and have been very pleased with its performance over the years. When I saw that Dyson had come out with cordless vacuums, I was naturally curious. There are times when you just need to do a quick pick up and don't want to drag the whole vacuum out. It seems like such a chore to unwind the power cord and wind it back up again.

With a cordless vacuum, there is no cord to deal with, so it is easy to simply unplug it, clean up, and then connect it to the charger again to be ready for its next job. The Dyson V6 Absolute Cordless Vacuum comes with a charger that can be used on its own, or used with a dock (included) that can be mounted on the wall. I haven't yet mounted the dock since I haven't decided where I want to put it.

When the Dyson V6 arrived, it already had some charge in it, but I plugged it in to an electrical outlet for the three and a half hours the manual says it needs to fully charge. When it finished, I tested it on the vinyl floors in my home, and it worked beautifully. With other cordless vacuums, I have found that they sometimes push larger pieces of debris around rather than picking them up. This is not so with the Dyson V6 - it picks everything up easily.

The Dyson V6 Absolute is the top of the line model that comes with numerous attachments. Before I describe these, I should say that I am disappointed that Dyson did not include a tote to keep them all together like they do with the Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Plus Allergy. That said, it is a problem I easily solved with a 2.5 gallon Hefty One-Zip bag. The tools that are included with this model make it ideal for anyone who has pets in the house or who has allergies.

This unit comes with the following attachments:
* Soft Roller Cleaner Head - used for hard floors
* Direct-Drive Cleaner Head - used for carpet
* Mini Motorized Tool - removes pet hair and ground-in dirt from furniture, car seats, and tight spaces
* Mini Soft Dusting Brush - used for dusting (furniture, keyboards, computer equipment, blinds, etc.)
* Crevice Tool - used for narrow spaces
* Combination Accessory Tool

The Dyson V6 Absolute has an advanced HEPA filtration system that also makes it a good choice for anyone who has allergies. Emptying the bin is as easy as holding it over a garbage can and pressing a button, making it less likely you will spill the contents on the floor or that they might waft back into the air you are breathing.

It can be used as either a hand-held vacuum or as a full length vacuum. Dyson includes a long tube in the package that is easy to attach or detach. It is easy to manage, no matter if you are using it on floors or on the ceiling to pick up spider webs, etc.

The only reason I can't give this a full five stars is because of the run time. As expensive as this model is, I'd expect at least sixty minutes on a single charge. The maximum that Dyson rates this unit for is twenty minutes, and that depends on how you are using it and if you enabled Max Power Mode or not. That said, I was able to get quite a lot done in twenty minutes, but there are times when I want to use a cordless vacuum to quickly go over the whole house right before company arrives, and this just can't handle that kind of task.

So, whether this vacuum is right for you or not depends largely on how you will use it and your budget. If the budget is tight, then skip the Dyson. However, if you can spend the money, this device has a whole lot of power and versatility despite the short run time.

Price: $149.95
7 used & new from $139.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great audio quality, June 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are so many Bluetooth speakers on the market, that they all start to seem pretty much the same after you look at a lot of them. Then Monster came out with the Monster SuperStar BackFloat High Definition Bluetooth Waterproof Floating Speaker - Black and Light Blue. This one has a huge difference – it floats in water. That’s right, you can take into the pool, the bathtub, the lake – wherever you want to listen to music while swimming or soaking.

So far, I’ve only used it in my bathtub and it works very well there. I plan to take it with me next month when I vacation at the family home in Florida. Our property is on the bayou, and this will be nice to listen to while we are swimming so the music is near us instead of blaring too loudly from the dock.

The speaker has several ports, all of which are covered very well so that they don’t get wet while it is floating. You simply open the cover when you want to connect it to a charger (which is provided in the box), and the cover stays attached to the speaker even while it is open so you don’t lose it.

Pairing the Monster SuperStart Backfloat with my Samsung Galaxy S4 was very easy and only took a moment. The devices connects to my phone just as easily when I want to use it.

Not only can you listen to music on this device, but it also serves as a very good speakerphone for your smartphone. The audio quality is excellent no matter if you are listening to a movie, music, or a phone conversation.

If you want to buy a Bluetooth speaker that you can take into the pool or bath, then I would highly recommend this one.

Keurig 117644 2.0 K200 Brewer, Black
Keurig 117644 2.0 K200 Brewer, Black
Offered by Relianz Goods
Price: Click here to see our price
11 used & new from $100.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes a decent cup of coffee, but other brands have better features, June 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Since I first saw a Keurig machine, I haven't quite understood the craze surrounding it. My first thought was that it isn't that hard to make a cup of coffee in an automatic coffeemaker, and having now used one, I feel the same way. Sure, the Keurig 117644 2.0 K200 Brewer makes a decent cup of coffee, but so does every other coffeepot I've used.

I found the initial setup of the Keurig was not intuitive - at least not for me. It was easy enough to figure out where the drip tray goes, but they included two water filters in the box, and it took me a while to figure out where to put them. Neither the printed manual that came with the machine nor the PDF version I downloaded from the Keurig site gave any direction on how to install the water filter that was included. Then I finally realized that the instruction was packaged with a plastic tube-like piece that apparently is constructed to hold the water filter. Once I found this instruction, installing it in the water reservoir was easy.

The water reservoir itself could use improvement. The lid just sets on top of it, so I spilled water every time I tried to put it back on the machine. I would prefer a more water-tight lid to reduce mess. The last thing I want is to spill a puddle of water around an electrical device.

Also, the Keurig K200 Brewer requires quite a lot more water than you need for one cup of coffee. If you don't have the minimum in the reservoir, then it won't run. For me, this really defeats the purpose of a single-cup coffeemaker, especially when it suggested using only bottled or filtered water. If I'm only having one cup of coffee, filling the reservoir is extremely wasteful. Conversely, my Hamilton Beach single-cup coffeemaker holds just enough water for one cup of coffee, which is a perfect design.

Keurig includes a sampler pack of K-Cups in the package - three different coffee flavors and one hot cocoa. Each was good, but not something I would buy again. I actually prefer to make real hot cocoa on the stovetop with milk. The coffee varieties it included were all a medium roast, and I prefer dark. There is a setting that allows you to make a stronger cup of coffee, but it doesn't quite make a medium roast what I want. Given the expense of the K-Cups, I will rarely buy more, but I will buy one of the reusable ones that I can fill with my favorite coffee.

They also include descaling solution in the package, along with two water filters. This machine accommodates brewing into a carafe that you can purchase separately from Keurig. You simply remove the drip tray from the machine and put the carafe in its place.

This makes a good cup of coffee, and if you really set on buying a Keurig, then you will probably like this one. Otherwise, I'd recommend a more versatile device like the Hamilton Beach Single-Serve Coffee Maker, Programmable FlexBrew with Hot Water Dispenser (49988) instead.

Sony 4K HD Video Recording FDRAX33 Handycam Camcorder
Sony 4K HD Video Recording FDRAX33 Handycam Camcorder
Price: $998.00
20 used & new from $860.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Video and audio exceeds expectations - I've had trouble with wireless and NFC features, June 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I recently received the Sony 4K HD Video Recording FDRAX33 Handycam Camcorder and have been very impressed with its recording capabilities. That said, I have experienced some trouble getting some of the other features to work.

First, the good side. I expected excellent video quality from this camera, and it more than exceeded that expectation. What I anticipate was how outstanding the audio quality would be. I recorded several videos outdoors, and when I played the video later in the house, it sounded as if I was outside experiencing it all over again. Every sound was distinct and came through as it does to my own ear. I could hear the traffic in the background, my cat meowing on the porch, the birds chirping at the birdfeeder across the yard – it missed nothing.

I mentioned the video quality also exceeded my expectations, and that was no exaggeration. We are working on getting some promotional and training videos for some of our products at work. We’ve set up a green screen and one of our employees has been working with Blender on his Mac to edit the videos and put them in different backgrounds. We’ve used the FDRAX33 video camera and my older video camera. With both, we mounted them on a very good tripod while recording, and kept our hands off of the camera except to start and stop the recording. The older camera is only about a year or two old and is an excellent camera, but when my coworker tried to edit these videos in Blender, he said they were just a little shaky. When we recorded videos the same way using the FDRAX33, the images came out perfectly – no shakiness. Not only that, but viewing the video with just your naked eye you can see what excellent quality these videos are.

When you connect the camera to your computer via USB, the camera’s LCD screen prompts you to go to a Sony website to download the PlayMemories Home program for your PC and the app for your smartphone. On your PC, the program can be configured to automatically import new photos and videos taken with the camera when connected and can be used to play them. I found the PlayMemories software to be intuitive and easy to use.

Now for the negative… This camera boasts a lot of extra features, such as the ability to connect it to a wireless network and being able to use it with NFC devices. I was actually able to connect it to my wireless network, but so far have not been able to get any of the wireless features to work. The same goes for NFC. I have used NFC on my Samsung Galaxy S4 recently and it worked. NFC is still enabled on that phone. However, I haven’t been able to transfer videos from the camera to the phone using NFC and have also not been able to use the function to control the camera using the smartphone via NFC.

I’ll keep working on getting these features functional, because I really want to take advantage. I’ll update the review if something changes with these problems.

The camera comes with a battery, a USB cable to attach it to your computer, a power adapter, and an HDMI cable to play videos directly on an HDMI television or monitor.

I would recommend this for anyone who needs extremely high quality videos.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2015 12:39 PM PDT

Offered by aSavings
Price: $109.49
15 used & new from $84.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for making single cups of coffee or dispensing hot water, June 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I’ve been wanting a single-cup coffee maker for a while, and when I saw the Hamilton Beach Single-Serve Coffee Maker, Programmable FlexBrew with Hot Water Dispenser (49988), I knew this was the one I wanted. What really tipped the scales in its favor is the fact that it has a hot water dispenser built in, so I can make oatmeal, instant grits, etc. using this machine just as easily as making a cup of coffee.

I’ve primarily used the coffeemaker function. This unit comes with a gold tone filter that you can use to put loose grounds in, or you can switch with the attachment that allows you to use k-cups. I’ve tried a k-cup, but I far prefer using loose grounds since they are less expensive and better for the environment. Both worked equally well in this coffeemaker.

No matter which type of coffee you use, there is a setting to brew regular coffee or stronger coffee. I like mine stronger, and this feature works well for me.

The hot water dispenser is built-in, but separate from the coffee part. It quickly heats up enough water to make most instant things: grits, oatmeal, hot cocoa, etc.

One thing I should point out is that the coffeemaker makes a really loud sound when it is pouring into the cup. I thought it might be broken the first time I’ve used it, but apparently it is just really noisy.

I like the triple-functionality of this machine and would recommend it for anyone else who needs its versatility.

Delta Power Tools 36-6020 10" Portable Table Saw with Stand
Delta Power Tools 36-6020 10" Portable Table Saw with Stand
Price: $458.30
4 used & new from $458.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable table saw is well made and works beautifully, May 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This was my first experience with a table saw. I will be helping a friend rebuild her deck next month, and she had planned to rent one. Now, we’ll be able to use this one for it. In the meantime, I used it to help some friends’ build some shelves in their new home. Of course, when I say I helped, I mean that I took it to their house and he helped me put it together and used it while I watched.

My friend’s husband is very handy, and has used table saws many times before. He had no trouble using this, and was very adept at it. For a smaller saw, this one worked very well and he was satisfied that all the safety guards he expected were in place.

The instructions were very clear and it was easy to put together. Using the saw is easy – assuming, of course, you have some experience with table saws. The saw and stand appear very durable for a unit this size and it moves easily from one place to another using the stand, which has wheels.

For the shelving project, we cut common boards: 1x10, 2x4, and 2x16 and it handled all of them with ease, making clean cuts and leaving smooth ends.

From a newbie’s viewpoint, I was impressed by how easy it looked for my friend to use my new saw. He also said that he would recommend it, from his much more experienced perspective.

InStyler Wet To Dry Rotating Iron, Purple, 1-1/4 Inch
InStyler Wet To Dry Rotating Iron, Purple, 1-1/4 Inch
Price: $71.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great hair appliance - title should read damp-to-dry instead of wet, May 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have an older InStyler hair tool and have liked it, so when I saw the InStyler Wet To Dry Rotating Iron, Purple, 1-14 Inch, I was very interested in trying it. I’m not a morning person, and I wash my hair every day, so the wet to dry feature was really why I wanted this appliance.

First off, although the title of the product uses the term wet-to-dry, the manual and reality prove this to be an exaggeration. InStyler really means damp-to-dry. I still have to blow dry my hair before I can use this. On the bright side, however, I can leave it a bit damp and get good results.

The InStyler site has video tips that show how to use this tool best, and they are very helpful. I haven’t yet mastered the ability to make ringlet curls with this tool, but I have really liked the way it produces smooth body for my hair (see uploaded photo).

I think I’ll have the curling technique down with some more practice, but for now I use it primarily to create nearly straight hair that is curled under for body.

InStyler provides a removable cool tip that screws into the end of the barrel, which is nice to get a better hold of the hot appliance while you are using it.

I would recommend this appliance.

InStyler Ionic Styler Pro Ionic Hot Brush and Ceramic Flat Iron, Purple
InStyler Ionic Styler Pro Ionic Hot Brush and Ceramic Flat Iron, Purple
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best hot brush I've ever used - with the added bonus of a built-in flat iron too!, May 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have long, fine hair that has a little natural wave to it. It’s not enough wave that I can just let it dry naturally and go, of course. So, I have to actually style my hair every day. I have a hot brush that has been my favorite hair styling tool for a while, so when I saw the InStyler Ionic Styler Pro Ionic Hot Brush and Ceramic Flat Iron, Purple I was intrigued by it. I do sometimes use flat irons, and the thought that this one appliance can do both means it takes up less space on my vanity and in my luggage.

The flat iron function works as well as any other flat iron I’ve used. I really didn’t see a major advantage of this flat iron over others, except for the multifunction feature.

The hot brush tool, however, is the best I have ever used. It curls or waves quickly and easily and my hair holds the curl from this tool better than normally. I typical use it to curl sections in ringlets and then lightly finger comb them together with my hair upset down. The result is soft, pretty waves that last all day.

I am very happy with this hair styler and would highly recommend it.
Comment Comment | Permalink