Profile for Jennifer Ray > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 440

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jennifer Ray RSS Feed (TN, United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Freshware Onion, Vegetable, Fruit and Cheese Chopper
Freshware Onion, Vegetable, Fruit and Cheese Chopper
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite kitchen gadget - the best way to chop or dice onions!, July 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I’ve tried many things to avoid tearing up while chopping onions, and none really seem to work. There have been times when I’ve had to take a break in the middle of chopping because my eyes became so watery I didn’t trust myself to use a knife.

I also find that it is harder to chop the last few pieces of the onion the size I want.

The Freshware Onion, Vegetable, Fruit and Cheese Chopper has solved both of these issues for me. This device easily chops the onion into perfect little chunks or diced pieces faster than I could ever hope to do by hand. The best part is that because it deposits the chopped onion into a closed container, it has eliminated the tears that normally go with chopping onion for me.

You do still have to cut the onion – the area where you set the onion pieces is too small for a normal sized onion, but works very well for a quarter piece. Simply cut your onion in four pieces, then place it on the grate and push the lid down. The onion is pushed through the grate and is perfectly chopped or diced, depending on which blade you used.

There are three blades included with this chopper. One delivers good size chunks for chopped onion or cheese chunks. The next is great if you need smaller diced onion pieces. The third slices things and might be good for green onion pieces. I used the slicing blade for jalapeno and it worked well for that.

Once you’ve chopped the food, you can tilt the container on its end and determine how many cups you have chopped using the measurements on the side. VERY nice.

Cleaning the unit could have been a bear but Freshware includes a little plastic comb that easily scrapes out any food caught between the teeth in the lid. I tried to tackle this with my dish brush, but it just couldn’t get in there as deep as the comb did. The entire unit can be put in the dishwasher or washed by hand. The hinged lid is easy to remove, which makes it simple to clean no matter which method you use.

This chopper is my new favorite kitchen gadget. It has made a task I used to dread a non-issue. I’m buying one for my mother as well – she will appreciate this chopper as much as I do.

Price: $24.99
4 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast micro SD card works well in my digital camera and the adapter makes transferring photos to the computer a snap, July 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Most devices these days use micro SD cards to store data and a great many of them have a limit of 32 GB capacity cards. Most of the time when I want to transfer data from an SD card to my computer, I prefer to simply insert the card in the PC rather than digging out the cables to connect the device itself. Unfortunately, neither my laptop nor my desktop computer’s card readers can accommodate a micro SD unless you insert it in an adapter for a full size SD card first.

The answer for me is to have a USB adapter that I can plug the card into. The Samsung Electronics 32GB EVO Micro SDHC with USB 2.0 Reader Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MP32DB/AM) is a great high speed 32 GB micro SD card that comes with its own USB adapter. I keep the adapter in my laptop case so it is always handy.

I’ve used the micro SD card in my digital camera and it works beautifully. Photos write quickly to the card, allowing me to take numerous pictures in a short amount of time.

You can use this card for any device that uses micro SD and supports the SDHC protocol, providing that device also allows 32 GB capacity cards. Check the documentation for your device or the manufacturer’s support site if you aren’t sure your device matches these specifications. If it does, then I highly recommend this micro SD card.

VTech Communications Safe and Sound 2 Camera Video and Audio Baby Monitor
VTech Communications Safe and Sound 2 Camera Video and Audio Baby Monitor
Price: $149.99
2 used & new from $149.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cameras provide excellent video and a good range for the monitor, July 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In the last year, I’ve had a few instances where I had to sequester some of my cats from the rest. One of my females had kittens a year ago, and I kept the mother and her litter in the guest bedroom until the kittens were old enough to mingle with my older cats. Later I had two females spayed and one of my older males had to have surgery on his paw. I kept the girls in the guest bedroom again, and the male lived in the dining room, which has a door on it.

During each of these periods, I considered purchasing a baby monitor to help keep an eye on the cats when I was in other parts of the house. Something like the VTech Communications Safe and Sound 2 Camera Video and Audio Baby Monitor would have been ideal since it comes with two cameras.

I received this baby monitor the day before I went to my Mom’s house on vacation last month. I took it with me to use while there thinking it would be useful. My family’s property is on the bayou in Florida, and in the evenings, the family congregates on the dock to visit and have drinks. Last year, my sister’s daughter (who was 5 at the time) wouldn’t go to bed by herself, even though Grandma was in the house too. My sister was tempted to come back to the dock after her daughter fell asleep (again with our Mom in the house if my niece woke), but she didn’t want her daughter to wake our mother while she slept. I thought the baby monitor would be a great way to keep an eye on her daughter while we were outside.

The dock is less than 300 feet from the house, and this camera boasts a range of 1000 feet. Unfortunately, the signal between the monitor and both cameras failed when I was about halfway to the dock. I can’t really blame the camera for this, because the wireless network also fails at this same spot. Both the baby monitor and the wireless network have great signals right up to the blueberry bush, and then both completely quit. We haven’t yet figured out what is going on, but there is obviously something in that area that interferes with the signal. It is very odd, because it is just some trees and bushes and a path in that area. There are houses on either side of this spot, but they are at least 200 feet away from this spot. I don’t believe this issue is a problem with this product, since it is also happening for the wireless network, but point it out so potential buyers are aware this camera is subject to the same types of interference that might adversely impact a wireless network.

I tested the baby monitor again when I returned home after vacation and found it works well at my house. I set up the two cameras at different ends of the house, and can access both of them from the wireless monitor from anywhere in my home or yard.

Initial setup of these cameras was easy – the longest part was charging the wireless monitor. You simply plug the cameras in, power them on, and the monitor finds them and connects to them quickly.

The monitor can view either camera individually or both cameras side by side. Audio features include the ability to listen to each room you have a camera in, or use the microphone on the monitor as an intercom to the rooms where the cameras are located.

The picture on the monitor is very good. It is clearest when the room is well lit, but night vision allows you to see each room well even when they are dark.

I would recommend this baby monitor to anyone who needs such a device. Obviously, this would be useful for anyone who has a baby, but is also good for anyone who needs to sequester a pet or perhaps is caretaker for a sick loved one.

Camco 43547 Bamboo Stove Top Work Surface - 2 Burner
Camco 43547 Bamboo Stove Top Work Surface - 2 Burner
Price: $37.76
2 used & new from $21.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Board works well as a work surface or cutting board, but needs better installation instructions for the feet., July 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you cook a lot, it doesn’t matter how big your kitchen is – it is NEVER big enough. I love to cook and often find myself running out of countertops. When I am not using all of the burners on the stove, the Camco 43547 Bamboo Stove Top Work Surface - 2 Burner comes in handy. It fits vertically over two burners, giving me a flat surface where I can set things down, rather than directly on a burner.

The board is thick and seems to be of excellent quality. It does require assembly when you receive it – there are four feet that install on each corner so the board is raised up off of the stove burners. The instructions provided for this installation are poor, without much direction or a good photograph. Camco’s website provided no help with this either. If it had not been for the color photographs on the Amazon page for this product, I don’t know if I would have figured this out – at least not as quickly as I did. From these photos, I saw how the screw fit and which end of the foot was supposed to fit against the board. They don’t look like they fit properly, but the foot has a recessed area you have to kind of push the screw through in order for it to work.

Once I figured out the trick to installing the first foot, the rest were easy. They are rubbery, so they don’t slide, which would be ideal if you are using this on an RV or a houseboat.

You can also use this as a cutting board, and there is a groove that goes around every side of the board to catch any juices from anything you cut on it. Camco says this surface will not dull knives, and I haven’t noticed otherwise this month.

If you are looking for something to cover the burners in your home or recreational vehicle or boat, I would recommend this product.

Price: $129.99
2 used & new from $108.58

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely unreliable and lacking in fetures, July 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had a break-in while I slept at the last place I lived, and became much more conscious about security as a result. I've set up a couple of D-Link internet cameras in my home where they can capture activity at either entrance to my house.

I have some of Belkin's WeMo home automation devices and have really liked those. I have them installed on three different lights in the house. When I saw that Belkin now makes a NetCam that works with its WeMo line, I was very interested in it.

Having now tried to use the Belkin NetCam Wi-Fi HD+ Camera with Night Vision (The Latest Version), Works with Belkin WeMo for a month, I am completely disappointed. It was easy enough to set up on my wireless network, and it functioned for a couple of hours that night while I checked it. When I was away from the house the next day, I tried to access it remotely and found it offline. Power-cycling the camera that evening fixed it - but only for a short period of time. By the next day, the camera was once again offline.

I have no issues with any other wireless device on my network. I have an excellent wireless router that is very stable. The only device on my network with a problem is this Belkin camera.

This camera earned a one star rating because it is completely unreliable, but even if it stayed up without constant power-cycling, I wouldn't give it more than three stars. My D-Link cameras have the ability to upload videos and still photos to an FTP site. That site can be outside of your home or within your network. I keep both cameras set to record when motion is detected, and this setting is frequently activated since I have pets in the house. My internet provider has a limit on how much bandwidth I can use each month and uploading these videos and photos to an offsite location constantly would eat up my bandwidth, so I set up an FTP server within my network for this.

The Belkin camera does not currently have an option to save the videos to an FTP location, only a cloud service that you must pay a subscription for. Even if I wished to pay for a subscription fee on top of the price of the camera, this would use more bandwidth than I am willing to sacrifice, especially if you have multiple cameras.
I cannot recommend this camera to anyone. If you need a good internet camera, look at the D-Link line, which is reliable and has more features.

Burning Dawn (Hqn)
Burning Dawn (Hqn)
by Gena Showalter
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $5.77
67 used & new from $1.94

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful romance about two broken people who find salvation in each other's love, June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Any warrior earns their share of scars and wounds over time, but Thane bears more than most. He has survived more torture than many others could handle, and those trials have left him broken in many ways. Now he has been imprisoned again, and only one person is willing to help.

Also a prisoner, Elin knows that helping Thane is her one chance to escape the camp they are both held in. The problem is, in Thane’s current state of mind, he doesn’t even realize he needs to be rescued. First she must convince him to break free, and then she must bargain for him to take her with him.

Thane has never needed anyone except his brothers in arms, who have bonded together over their past torments. Once he meets Elin, however, he starts to change and soon he needs her more than he could ever think possible. But Elin has secrets of her own, and although she craves his touch, she fears if Thane discovers those secrets, he will unleash his rage and retribution on her.

I read fast – a book a night – and so I end up with a lot of favorite authors. But since I picked up my first Gena Showalter novel a few months ago, she has moved near the top of that list. I love finding an author that is new to me, but has a hefty backlist of books that I can binge read.

‘Burning Dawn’ is the third book in her ‘Angels of the Dark’ series and having read the previous two, I was itching for Thane’s story something fierce. He is the quintessential misunderstood bad boy who has a heart of gold deep down. When this man finally falls in love, he falls harder than most. We learned a little about Thane’s unusual bedroom proclivities in the previous stories, but in this book we learn why he is the way he is, and how those same proclivities weigh on him.

The only thing that broke my heart more than Thane’s past is Elin’s. This woman has born more than her share of pain as well, and yet manages to remain positive, friendly, and strong. Although she is mortal, she holds her own with the immortal friends she makes when she enters Thane’s world, and never hesitates to stand up to either him or the other warriors around her when she feels it warranted. From the start, I could see why a man like Thane would fall in love with Elin, and as I learned more about Thane, I could understand why she would return the feeling. Heck, before the story was half-told, I wanted a man like Thane myself.

And that really is the mark of a good romance story. You should fall in love with the characters yourself. You should be rooting for them to make it against all the odds. This is true for me with Thane and Elin.

Of course, as with any good series book, the author sets the stage for upcoming books in the series by feeding us just enough about some of the supporting characters to leave the reader clamoring for several more books.

My only problem with this book is that I got very little sleep the night I read it as I couldn’t put it down until I was done. That will teach me to start reading a book by Gena Showalter too late on a work night! I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys supernatural romances.

Revlon Curl Collection Heated Styling Brush
Revlon Curl Collection Heated Styling Brush
Offered by biddeal_co
Price: $23.82
18 used & new from $18.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Styling brush is great but my hair sticks to the protective glove, June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have very long hair and was this close to chopping it off to my shoulders until I received the Revlon Curl Collection Heated Styling Brush. Up to then, I usually styled it with a roll brush and hair dryer one section at a time. This looked great, but with my hair so long, my arms got tired when they were extended over my head for long periods.

With the Revlon styling brush, I still raise my arms over my head to style, but this works so much faster that it doesn’t tire out my arms so much. The brush produces smooth, beautiful waves that feel as soft as they look.

This tool comes with a glove to protect your hand from burns while using it, but I found my hair sticks to the glove and pulls away from the styling brush, so it was more trouble than it was worth for me. I now use it without the glove, and am extremely careful. If this glove worked better, I would have given the styling brush five stars.

I’ll keep my long hair for a while longer now since this hair tool has made styling my hair faster and easier for the time being. I would recommend it to anyone with hair long enough to wrap around the barrel at least once.

Afterburn & Aftershock
Afterburn & Aftershock
by Sylvia Day
Price: $8.93
108 used & new from $2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking, spellbinding and ultimately satisfying - Sylvia Day does it again!, June 26, 2014
This review is from: Afterburn & Aftershock (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For Gianna Rossi, Jackson Rutledge was the one that got away. Their affair was hot and heavy a few years ago, and way too short. It ended abruptly when Jackson stopped contacting Gia without explanation. After that heartbreak, Gia threw herself into her career, determined to make something of herself. She wins a position as assistant to one of the most successful women in the restaurant management industry, intending to use the skills she acquires from her new mentor to improve her family’s already successful restaurant even more one day. With several siblings ready to run their own restaurant, it is time for expansion for the Rossi’s popular eatery.

Gia is focused, driven, and very successful working for Lei Yeung. She is finally closing her first big project – until it is derailed by Jackson Rutledge himself. His re-entry into her life is like a bucket of ice wataer being thrown on her and soon Gia is struggling to repair the damage he has done to her career and the wounds he has reopened in her heart – all while trying to resist him. Jackson’s renewed interest in Gia makes resisting him prove harder than Gia expected, however, even with the memory of how he ended things before weighing on her so heavily.

‘Afterburn’ and ‘Aftershock’ are two parts of one story by Sylvia Day. The second story won’t make much sense if you haven’t first, so the author and publisher very wisely packaged them in one book. This author is known for writing very strong female characters, and Gia is no exception to this. This woman definitely has moxy along with an abundance of drive. She won’t let anyone or anything stop her, however she does have limits. Gia might be determined to succeed, but her values won’t allow her to destroy someone else to do achieve her goals. Having been raised in a big Italian family has instilled a good moral code in her that has molded her into a hardworking, honest person and a character I can admire. Those same family values do put her at a disadvantage at times when dealing with others who operate less honestly, but she learns quickly how to navigate the shark-infested world of business and politics and deals with these situations without compromising her own ethics. It is easy to see just why Jackson wants Gia back.

The real mystery is why Jackson ever let her get away in the first place, given his immediate attraction for her when they cross paths again. But the answer to this question is part of the story, and I won’t spoil it for other readers – the way the author unravels this part of the plot is too riveting and I love the way she builds to great effect when the answers finally come to both Gia and the reader.

The first time I read one of Sylvia Day’s novels, she became one of my favorite romance authors, and after reading this book, I can say without hesitation, she has yet to disappoint me. This author has proven to me that her imagination is without limit and she has so much skill at creating intriguing characters and plots that I can’t imagine ever tiring of her work. I would highly recommend this book to any reader who enjoys contemporary romance.

Dash of Peril (Hqn)
Dash of Peril (Hqn)
by Lori Foster
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.30
151 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Dash and Margo's story exceeded my expections, June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As the lieutenant of the police department, Margo Peterson demands a lot of herself. Still cleaning house in a corrupt police department, there are few officers she trusts absolutely. Because of this, she has gone undercover herself to infiltrate a ring of criminals who abduct and molest women on film. As capable as any man on the force, Margo goes in without backup, setting herself up as bait in local bars. What she didn’t count on was Dash Riske appointing himself as her personal guardian. He’s a civilian, and a distraction she can’t seem to resist, no matter how hard she tries.

Dash might respect Margo as a strong women and exemplary police detective, but the way he feels about her makes it impossible for him to let her work this case without backup. He trusts her abilities and judgment, but can’t help but worry that this case is more than any one person can handle. With his brother working as a detective under Margo’s command, Dash has become more familiar than other civilians with the hazards this case poses. Dash makes sure he is always nearby when he finds Margo trying to lure the kidnappers. He’ll keep her safe, no matter the cost to himself, and hopefully convince this headstrong, independent woman that she needs him as much as he needs her in the process.

‘Dash of Peril’ by Lori Foster is the fourth book in the author’s ‘Love Undercover’ series and a welcome addition to fans of Ms. Foster’s work. Dash and Margo have both appeared as intriguing supporting characters in the other books of this saga, and waiting patiently for their story has proven difficult. Having now finished reading their story, I can say this book was well worth the wait.

Both characters surpassed my expectations, and I ended the book admiring each of them. Margo is more than a strong police detective – she is also an intelligent, caring, loving woman who has more than her share of family issues. Dash is the kind of man who can get any woman’s motor running, certainly, but this alpha male shows a sensitive side that guarantees Margo won’t be able to resist him. He is so in tune with Margo’s needs and is willing to fulfill those needs, whatever they may be. He will stand up for her when he sees fit, but also stand quietly in the background while she takes care of things. He is careful to never diminish her status as a lieutenant or a strong woman and supports her like no one in her life ever has. For Margo, this is a welcome change after a life of neverending drama courtesy of her family. With her family, she never feels good enough – Dash is the first person who has ever accepted her just as she is.

Their romance is cleverly woven through the action packed subplot, which also gives us more insight into some additional supporting characters, whetting the readers’ appetite for the next book in this series.

I have thoroughly enjoyed every book in the ‘Love Undercover’ series so far, and ‘Dash of Peril’ was even better than I had hoped. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys romance novels with a good bit of action-adventure in them. Although a part of a series, this book can be read as a standalone novel without difficulty.

Coca-Cola Mini-Can (8 Count, 7.5 Fl Oz Each)
Coca-Cola Mini-Can (8 Count, 7.5 Fl Oz Each)
Price: $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right for when you want a little bit of Coke..., June 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Coca-Cola is my worst habit. I could give up a lot of things before I would give this beverage up. It isn’t the only thing I drink – I switch it up with plenty of water and juice – but I do have several cans of Coke a day.

My favorite way to drink a Coke is out of those old-fashioned thick green bottles like they came in when I was a kid. If you can find those these days, they are expensive. The next best thing is drinking it cold straight out of the can. I regularly buy cases of the 12-ounce cans, but there are times when I only want a little Coke and can’t finish a whole can.

The Coca-Cola Mini-Can comes in a 7.5-ounce size and is perfect when you just want a little bit to drink, but you don’t want to waste half a can of cola. Like the larger size, this drink is a fizzy, tasty concoction that is like nothing else. I know some switch back and forth between Pepsi (ick!) and Coca-Cola, but for me, Coke is the only option.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20