Profile for Jennifer A. Ray > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 411

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jennifer A. Ray RSS Feed (TN, United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Swingline Electric Stapler, Speed Pro 45 Sheets, Black (S7042141)
Swingline Electric Stapler, Speed Pro 45 Sheets, Black (S7042141)
Price: $73.99
11 used & new from $63.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for stapling up to 45 sheets together, or for jobs requiring rapid and repetitive stapling, April 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When you need to staple a lot of pages together, a manual stapler just doesn't normally do a very good job. If you need to staple up to forty-five pages together often, or if you simply have a process that requires rapid and repetitive stapling, then you would benefit from a product like the Swingline Electric Stapler, Speed Pro 45 Sheets, Black (S7042141).

This stapler has suction cups on the bottom that keep it steady while you work with it, but still remove easily from the surface when you wish to move the unit. An easy-to-access push button on the back of the stapler ejects the staple tray, where you simply set a new stick of staples in it, then push it back in place. This is easier to load than my manual stapler at work.

Once you have the stapler loaded and plugged in, you are ready to go. Just slide the pages into the stapling platform and the stapler does the rest of the work.

The device comes with two boxes of staples. The first is a box of 1000 standard Swingline staples that work for smaller staple jobs. The second box contains 500 high capacity staples that can handle 25-45 sheets. The links below are to purchase larger quantities of the staples that came with this device. Any standard staple would work, but you will want tto buy the high capacity staples if you have larger documents to staple.
Swingline Staples, Speed Pro High Capacity, 3/8-Inch Leg Length, 210 per Strip, 5000 per Box (S7035465)
Swingline SF1 Standard Staples (5,000 per box)

I would highly recommend this stapler to anyone who has a need for an electric stapler.

OREGON 40 Volt MAX* BL300-A6 Handheld Blower Kit with 4.0 Ah Battery Pack
OREGON 40 Volt MAX* BL300-A6 Handheld Blower Kit with 4.0 Ah Battery Pack
Price: $299.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cordless blower packs a lot of power on one charge, April 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I bought a blower, I selected a corded one. It has worked well, but it is a bit of a pain having to drag a super-long extension cord around while using it. More than once, I’ve wished I had chosen the cordless model instead. So now I own the OREGON 40 Volt MAX BL300-A6 Handheld Blower Kit with 4.0 Ah Battery Pack. This blower works just as well as my corded, but with the added benefit of not being tethered to an extension cord.

On one charge, I’ve used this blower to clean my front porch, front path, garage, and my patio out back. The blower is just as powerful as the corded model I have, but I can actually work quicker since I don’t have to maneuver the cord and worry about it breaking plants or knocking things over.

I have the kit, which means it came with the blower, a battery charger and a battery. This one came with the 4.0 Ah battery pack, which is the most powerful battery in this line. Oregon has several tools in this product line that use the same batteries and chargers, which means the 2.4 Ah battery that came with my Oregon Hedge Trimmer also works for this blower.
OREGON C750 Rapid Battery Charger Used with Chain Saw, 40-Volt
Oregon PowerNow C600 40 Volt Max Lithium-Ion Battery Charger For Standard And Endurance Batteries
Oregon PowerNow B600E 40-volt Battery Pack, 4.0 Ah
Oregon PowerNow B400E 40 Volt Max Endurance 2.4 Ah Lithium-Ion Battery Pack
Oregon PowerNow B500S 40 Volt Max Standard 1.25 Ah Lithium-Ion Battery Pack

I am very happy with this blower and would highly recommend it to anyone looking to purchase a good cordless blower.

Litter Robot II Bubble Unit - Automatic Self Cleaning Litter Box, Black
Litter Robot II Bubble Unit - Automatic Self Cleaning Litter Box, Black
Offered by Automated Pet Care Products Inc.
Price: $389.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for anyone who wants to eliminate litter scooping and reduce the odor from the litter box, April 18, 2015
With several cats in the house, an automated litterbox is a must for me. For years, I used Litter Maid units, and the older models worked really well for me for a while. Litter Maid then improved their models, making them easier to clean, but I found that the rake got stuck much more often with the newer models than the old. I honestly don’t know if it was because the newer ones didn’t work as well or if it was that my cats tended to pee in the corner of the box more often, which is where the rake would stick.

Regardless of why, the answer to my problem turned out to be a Litter Robot. This one is round, so there are no corners for my cats to urinate in. When the cat uses the step to enter the bubble section, it trips a timer that causes the bubble to rotate seven minutes later, dumping the clumps into the waste drawer beneath the unit, and saving the unclumped litter. The only way this litterbox sticks is if you put it together wrong – which I’ve done. I once put the lip extender on wrong and it prevented the globe from being able to rotate properly. Once I fixed the lip extender, it worked fine.

The one problem I’ve had with the Litter Robot is that for quite some time, my cats couldn’t trip the rotation automatically. I assumed my cats were either jumping over the step or were too light to activate it. Then one day I moved it into the bathroom while shampooing the carpet in the room where I normally keep it. I noticed that the cats were tripping the timer in the bathroom – where it sat on a hard floor. It seems the Litter Robot just doesn’t work well when it is on a carpeted floor. I solved this by purchasing a 5/4” X 18” laminated pine round from Home Depot. This board is just slightly larger than the base of the Litter Robot. With it between the carpet and the Litter Robot, the cats are now able to trip the timer.

A quick rundown on how the Litter Robot works:
• You set the globe on the base.
• Secure a trash bag in the grommets inside the waste drawer to catch the waste.
• Add litter to the fill line inside the globe.
• Plug the base in.
• The cats activate the timer when they press the step to enter.
• Seven minutes later, the globe rotates on the base. Loose litter is saved in a ‘pocket’ inside the globe as it spins, and the clumps are deposited into the waste drawer. When the globe spins to the normal position, the loose litter is returned to the bottom of the globe.

Cleaning the globe isn’t difficult, but it is something I recommend doing outside. First, I use the ‘Empty’ button on the base to empty all of the remaining litter into the bag in the waste drawer. Then I take it all outside. I wash everything but the base in a solution of water and a mild scented dishwashing detergent. Then I wipe the base down inside and out with Lysol wipes.

The Litter Robot is especially handy for those of us with multiple cats, since the cats are more likely to share a box if it is clean every time they enter the box. It also means less scooping for you, which is something I very much appreciate. Even if you have only one cat, you will enjoy the freedom that comes with less scooping and the reduction in odor when the waste is kept in a closed drawer.

Is the Litter Robot worth the expensive price tag? For me, the answer is an unequivocal yes. With four cats, I would have to scoop a box several times a day, which would be impossible as my office is about a thirty minute drive from home – if traffic is good. The convenience and odor reduction are big selling points for me and make this well worth the investment. I’ve had the unit two and half years now and it still works just as well as it did the first time I got it.

OREGON 40 Volt MAX HT250-E6 Hedge Trimmer Kit with 2.4 Ah Battery Pack
OREGON 40 Volt MAX HT250-E6 Hedge Trimmer Kit with 2.4 Ah Battery Pack
Price: $269.99
5 used & new from $264.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful trimmer is lightweight and easy even for a beginner, April 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I hadn't thought about needing hedge trimmers until recently - mostly because I really don't have any hedges. But I've realized they are useful for more than just hedges. My main purpose for the OREGON 40 Volt MAX HT250-E6 Hedge Trimmer Kit with 2.4 Ah Battery Pack was for pulling out a tangled bit of brush in a flower bed. It was all pulled up last summer, but some of it grew back up over the winter, and I found it far easier to cut it down short before digging the roots up.

I did this today and am happy to report that what would have taken me a couple of hours with just some loppers took about thirty minutes with this hedge trimmer. Once everything was close to the ground, it was simple to pull or dig up the roots.

I received the hedge trimmer kit that comes with a 2.4 Ah battery and the standalone charger. It took less than a couple of hours to fully charge the battery the first time. Oregon says that the charge with this particular battery should last an hour but that the amount of work that can be accomplished was worth two hours with a competing hedge trimmer. This was the first time I've ever used a hedge trimmer, so I really can't offer an opinion on that but it did work very quickly for me.

I should also point out that Oregon sells other batteries and a rapid charger that you can use to extend the worktime of this trimmer. These batteries and chargers are interchangeable with several other Oregon tools.

OREGON C750 Rapid Battery Charger Used with Chain Saw, 40-Volt
Oregon PowerNow B600E 40-volt Battery Pack, 4.0 Ah
Oregon PowerNow B400E 40 Volt Max Endurance 2.4 Ah Lithium-Ion Battery Pack
Oregon PowerNow B500S 40 Volt Max Standard 1.25 Ah Lithium-Ion Battery Pack

As I mentioned before, this was the first time I've ever used a hedge trimmer, and I had a healthy fear of the tool. In the interest of extreme caution, I didn't insert the battery or remove the blade cover until I reached the area I wanted to trim. Installing the battery was quick and easy, as was removing the blade cover. I really appreciate that there are two switches you have to hold down in order to run the trimmer, so if you were to let go of the device, it would stop running, which reduces the chances of an accident. The tool is lightweight enough for a woman like me to use, but powerful enough to get the job done.

This will also be useful when I trim the branches in the thicket between my neighbor's house and mine or the branches over the driveway that scrape my car when they grow too far out. Oregon says this particular trimmer can handle branches up to 3/4 inch diameter.

I am very pleased with this trimmer, and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good cordless hedge trimmer.

Metrokane 6167 Rabbit Velvet Champagne Opener Set, Metal
Metrokane 6167 Rabbit Velvet Champagne Opener Set, Metal
Price: $29.62
3 used & new from $21.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect tool set for anyone who enjoys sparkling wine, April 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Until a week or so ago, I had no idea they made ‘champagne pliers’, much less that I needed a pair of them. I’ve been using champagne stoppers for years, and have been able to keep many bottles of sparkling wine sparkling with them for a few days. Now that I have used the Metrokane 6167 Rabbit Velvet Champagne Opener Set, Metal, I can’t imagine going without the pliers again.

In the past, I’ve either struggled with opening a bottle with my bare hand, or used one of those grippy jar openers to help me turn the stopper and open the bottle. Even with the jar opener, I always worried about losing control of the stopper and breaking something or someone. Metrokane’s champagne pliers really take the work out of this. Not only do they give you a very easy grip on the stopper, but they cover and hold that stopper so that it doesn’t fly away when you release it from the bottle. When I opened a bottle, the stopper was still securely gripped in the pliers. This was so much easier than any method I’ve tried for opening champagne in the past – outside of getting someone else to do it for me. LOL

The seal has kept the opened sparkling wine tasting fresh and effervescent for a couple of days now. I have to admit it is rare that a bottle lasts more than a few days in my house after it has been opened, but I do like that the Metrokane seal has kept it so well so far.

I have purchased several Metrokane products over the years, and they always work well for me. On top of that, they always look nice and sleek. This set lives up to what I expect from Metrokane in terms of both functionality and looks.

I would highly recommend this champagne set to anyone who enjoys a little bubbly. It would also make a nice gift for someone who enjoys a sparkling wine.

Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect tote for beach or shower, April 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It has been a while since I used a community shower where I needed to tote my bath items to and from the bathroom, but I can see how the “DII Mesh Caddie Perfect for College Dorm, Pools, Gyms, Beaches, Locker Rooms, Bathrooms, Shower, Portable Collapsible Shower Caddie, Pink” would be very helpful in such a situation.

I wanted this as a tote to take to the beach, pool, lake, or bayou and keep my sunscreen, towel, water bottle, and other items handy. The mesh bag is perfect for the beach because sand will filter right out of it, tracking less into your car and back home.

This cute little tote is a nice manageable size and has a single handle on top for carrying. The handle is nylon, I think, and is comfortable to hold. The mesh material dries quickly if it gets wet.

With 6 pockets around the outside, most people can tote pretty much everything they need for the shower or the beach. The larger middle area is perfect for a towel or two.

I’m very pleased with this tote and would recommend it.

Hanover Strathmere Outdoor Luxury Chaise Lounge, Rich Brown/Crimson Red
Hanover Strathmere Outdoor Luxury Chaise Lounge, Rich Brown/Crimson Red
Price: $699.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, comfortable place to relax outdoors, April 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love to be able to lounge outside with a good book when the weather is nice. Until now, I’ve used a fold-up beach chair for this. Now that I have the Hanover Strathmere Outdoor Luxury Chaise Lounge, Rich Brown/Crimson Red, lounging has gone to a whole new level.

I put this chaise on the front porch, which is covered, so I have a bit of shade. It has been nice to stretch out on this chair while reading and waving at neighbors who stroll by. The cushions are very comfortable.

The product page at Amazon suggests some assembly will be required – I found that meant simply putting the cushions on. The hardest part of that was tying the bottom cushion to the posts in back, which wasn’t difficult at all. There are three cushions included: the bottom cushion, the back cushion, and a small pillow to accent it.

The back of the chaise is adjustable, so you can easily set it to sit upright or you can adjust it to several different reclining levels.

The wicker appears very durable, as do the cushions. The manufacturer claims that this won’t rust or fade, but this is something only time will tell. If that is true, it will make it worth the price for a piece of outdoor furniture that will last several years. I’ll report back again after I’ve had this for a year.

My cats took to this chaise immediately. One likes to hide underneath it and watch the neighborhood. Another kitty likes to lay on it with me when I read. Most of all, I think they enjoy me coming outside with them for a bit.

So far, I’m very pleased with the unit itself. I was not at all pleased with the delivery, however. I am not counting off the star rating for this chair because of it, but felt it important to mention since the delivery is part of the experience. Amazon used ABF to deliver this chair, and I had expected them to contact me to schedule a delivery, since it stated a signature was required. I watched the tracking on the ABF site until the day that they said it was being loaded for delivery that day. My office is about a 40 minute drive from my home, so if they needed me there, I needed to know ahead of time. I called ABF and spoke with a woman who was helpful and said if I emailed them that they could leave it, they wouldn’t need me there. Now I wish I had been there for the delivery. I emailed them asking for this item to be left ON my front porch. This was very important to me since this chair is big enough and heavy enough that it would be difficult to get onto my porch by myself. When I arrived home after dark that night, I found they had dumped it in front of my garage in such a way that I couldn’t get into my garage. Not only could I not park safely in my garage after dark, but I was forced to struggle (in the dark) with this huge box to move it by myself so that I could park. I cannot fathom what made the delivery team think it was OK to block my garage with the delivery. That shows a lack of common courtesy on top of poor customer service. Meanwhile, this box sat outside in the rain the next day until I could get someone to come over and help me move it to the front porch. If you buy this chaise and Amazon uses ABF to deliver yours, I highly recommend you insist on being present since their delivery team obviously cannot be trusted to follow directions or use common sense.

Braven Wireless HD Bluetooth Speaker - Retail Packaging - Black
Braven Wireless HD Bluetooth Speaker - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $99.99
2 used & new from $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged speaker is great for camping, the beach, or even the conference room, April 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So many devices I own have Bluetooth capability that I like to have a good Bluetooth speaker on hand to use with them. Many laptops and smartphones don’t play audio loud enough for some needs, and the Bluetooth speakers are a great way to augment the audio.

Braven Wireless HD Bluetooth Speaker is a very good, rugged unit. This device boasts an IPX7 rating, which means if you drop your device in water that is up to three feet deep, this speaker should still work. The manufacturer suggests it not be submerged for more than thirty minutes. This is intended to protect it from accidents – not to use underwater purposely. The outside of the speaker is rubberized to protect it when dropped on a hard surface, and the ports are all enclosed tightly with a cap over the end that houses the ports to keep them safe from moisture.

The sound quality on this speaker is excellent. I can feel the bass when I use it to play music. I tested it with some of my favorites: Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Kansas, and Boston. The vocal and instruments in all of these songs sounded amazing with this speaker.

At work, we recently needed to get on a conference call in a meeting room, but our phones were down. I connected this to the cell phone we used for the call, and we were able to use the Braven device’s speakerphone feature to conduct the call without a hitch.

The controls for power, volume, next, and previous are all on the outside with buttons that are protected from water or breaks, but still easy to access.

Last but not least, you can plug your phone or tablet into the micro-USB port on this device to charge them using the built-in 1800mAH Lithium-ion battery.

I would highly recommend this speaker for anyone who needs a rugged Bluetooth speaker. This is ideal for camping, beach trips, poolside, or those who work outside like a construction site.

Holmes HAP9240-NWU HEPA-Type Desktop Air Purifier
Holmes HAP9240-NWU HEPA-Type Desktop Air Purifier
Price: $34.99
30 used & new from $30.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Unit performs well, but I'd prefer something more compact for a desktop purifier., April 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have several indoor cats and also have a friend and some family members who are allergic to cats. For this reason, I started using air purifiers around my home years ago. Coupled with regular house cleaning, the purifiers have made a big difference.

All of my purifiers are made by Holmes and they have worked extremely well and have proven themselves remarkably durable. My oldest Holmes purifiers have been in use for about ten years now and are still going strong. On top of that, it is still easy to find and purchase the filters needed for even my oldest Holmes purifiers.

I’ve been using the Holmes HAP9240-NWU HEPA-Type Desktop Air Purifier for about two and a half weeks now and have been very pleased with its performance. Like my other units, it does a very good job of removing particles from the air, including allergens, dust, and more. It does make a bit of sound – just a low, steady hum. I am so used to it now that I find the hum more relaxing than disturbing.

My one issue with this is the size. I would have expected a purifier made for the desktop to be a little more compact. This takes up quite a bit of space and really doesn’t fit any surface in my home well. If you specifically need a desktop unit for some reason, then this is a good one. But if you are like me and find it easier to store the purifier on the floor, I would recommend a tower model that sits compactly on the floor.

Cuisinart CPP-413 Alfrescamore Pizza Peel, 12-Inch
Cuisinart CPP-413 Alfrescamore Pizza Peel, 12-Inch
Price: $22.99
4 used & new from $21.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy metal pizza peel stores easier than wooden one and works very well, April 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I’ve had a wooden pizza peel for years and like it OK, but it has two issues. The first is that it is hard to store. I don’t have any cabinets big enough to fit it in, or at least to fit it through the cabinet door. Where I used to live, I hung it on the wall using the little hold in the handle, but the house I now live in has no wall space in the kitchen, so this isn’t possible anymore. The second problem is that the front edge isn’t slim enough to get under some things, such as French Bread, easily.

Cuisinart CPP-413 Alfrescamore Pizza Peel, 12-Inch is a huge improvement on my old wooden one. It is just as large as my old one, which is important to be able to reach into the oven with it and pull a pizza or bread off a hot baking stone, but the handle folds in, so this tool takes up half the space that the wooden one does.

Not only that, but this metal peel is thin with a sharper front edge, so it is really easy to get under something like a loaf of French Bread. I made French Bread baguettes from scratch this weekend and baked them on my baking stone. This peel slid right under them and pulled them out easily.

Washing this pizza peel was easy to do by hand. I would highly recommend this option for anyone looking to buy a new pizza peel.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20