Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Profile for Jennifer A. Ray > Reviews

Browse

Jennifer A. Ray's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1029
Top Reviewer Ranking: 600

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jennifer A. Ray RSS Feed (TN, United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Elkay LKSMHOOK - Sinkmate Hook
Elkay LKSMHOOK - Sinkmate Hook
Price: $49.30
5 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnetic hook helps organize the kitchen sink, January 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like finding new ways to organize things, especially in the kitchen. The sink mate system appealed to me because of its magnetic feature. Not only is the hook magnetic, but it comes with a strip of magnet tape that you can attach to the outside of your sink, underneath the counter to help the hook hold better.

The hook has held very well in my sink without the tape, so I opted to not use that – especially since I am in a rental. I’d rather save it for when I actually need it.

I like having a hook in the sink where I can let a sponge drain well. I also like that I can move the hook where I need it most.

I’m pleased with this hook, and would recommend it to anyone looking for such a way to organize their kitchen sink.

Offered by Lijo Decor
Price: $40.00
2 used & new from $36.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful crystal wine glasses are dishwasher safe, January 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love a nice glass of wine, and while I like a nice crystal glass on a stem, I’ve found numerous advantages to using stemless glasses like the “Lenox Tuscany Classics Cool Colors Stemless Wine Glass Set (Set of 6), Multicolor”

For one, they are less likely to topple over. This may not be an issue for some people, but for clumsy people like me, it is. I find it much easier to knock over a glass on a stem than I do the stemless variety.

In addition, these Lenox glasses are dishwasher safe and the fact that they have no stems means they actually fit in the top rack of my dishwasher. Given that these are crystal, I was very surprised that they do so well in the dishwasher, but also delighted.

The colors of these glasses are vibrant and beautiful. I like that they are packaged with six individual colors, making it easy for guests to remember which glass is theirs.

I am very pleased with these glasses and would recommend them to other wine lovers.

Offered by JDCSupplies
Price: $20.34
11 used & new from $17.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice gloves, but they can tear easily, January 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I use surgical gloves for many things around the house: cleaning the litter box, cleaning the house, handling foods like hot peppers, onions or garlic, cleaning turkeys, and mixing foods by hand, such as meatloaf. They are perfect for protecting my skin from harsh chemicals or other such irritants.

I especially like them in the kitchen after once working with banana peppers with bare hands. My skin wouldn’t stop burning for hours, and only after I applied poison ivy remedy.

The “Medline OAT6802H Restore Nitrile Exam Gloves with Colloidal Oatmeal, Medium (Pack of 250)” have been good gloves for the most part. I have found that they aren’t quite as strong as some other brands I’ve used, and I’ve had a couple of gloves tear when I was trying to pull them out of the box.

As for the colloidal oatmeal in the gloves that is supposed to help my skin’s PH balance, I really haven’t noticed any difference in my skin after using these gloves. It may be helping, but I’m just not sure. My skin is already very soft, so it could be that someone who has problem skin might be able to see more of a difference than I have.

These gloves are good, but I can’t say they are great due to their tendency to tear easily.

Brother High Speed Desktop Document Scanner (ImageCenter ADS-2000e)
Brother High Speed Desktop Document Scanner (ImageCenter ADS-2000e)
Price: $299.99
29 used & new from $299.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Mid-level scanner with great features and performance, January 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The “Brother High Speed Desktop Document Scanner (ImageCenter ADS-2000e)” is a nice mid-level scanner for small offices or home businesses. Actually, it would also make a decent scanner for larger companies who want to have smaller scanners in many departments rather than larger scanners in a centralized scanning center.

I work for a systems integration company that specializes in document scanning and retrieval systems. We work mostly with scanners by Kodak, Canon, Fujitsu, and Bell + Howell, so I was interested to see how Brother’s scanners worked. I’ve been tremendously pleased with their multifunction printers and label printers, so I expected good things from their scanners. I wasn’t disappointed.

This scanner is rated at speeds up to 24 ppm for color scanning at 300 dpi, which is decent for a scanner this size. Most of our customers scan black and white at 200 dpi. It only has an ADF tray, no flatbed scanner, so you are limited to items that can be fed through the ADF. That said, it still supports paper documents, receipts, business cards, and plastic cards up to 8.5 inches wide and 34 inches long.

The scanner must be attached to a computer using USB, but once done, it can be used with a variety of cloud services such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote, Microsoft OneDrive, and OneNote. You can also scan to file, image, OCR, email, FTP, or a USB flash drive. You can even scan to mobile devices using the free iPrint&Scan app.

The package includes a copy of Nuance PDF Converter Professional, Nuance PaperPort, Presto! BizCard and Control Center for the Brother device.

Drivers included are TWAIN, ISIS, WIA, ICA, and SANE. It is supported for use with Windows, MAC OS, or Linux operating systems.

This scanner is also certified for use with Kofax Express and Kofax VRS. Kofax is one of the top document capture software manufacturers, and we use it quite frequently in our own company and at our customer sites. It has powerful capture and image cleanup features. While I am excited that this scanner is certified with Kofax, I am a bit disappointed it didn’t come with Kofax VRS as many scanners at this level by other manufacturers do.

Setting up this scanner was easy and quick. Using it has been intuitive and simple. I am impressed with the scanner’s functionality and performance and would recommend it.

Avery Easy Align Self-Laminating ID Labels, , 3-5/16 x 2-5/16 Inches, Pack of 100 Lamination Labels (00756)
Price: $52.26
13 used & new from $40.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for labeling storage containers long term, January 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I haven’t used laminated labels before, but having tried them now I can see a number of uses for them. I use big plastic containers to store things in the attic and the garage, and regular labels can fade over time or get torn. The laminated labels are more durable and I expect will withstand moisture and be less likely to fade.

I tried the “Avery Easy Align Self-Laminating ID Labels, , 3-516 x 2-516 Inches, Pack of 100 Lamination Labels (00756)” first. This pack has two labels per sheet, set up portrait style, although they can be easily printed in landscape orientation.

The packet of labels contains a sheet with instructions to not print more than twenty-five pages at a time, and to let the printer rest a while after printing that many sheets. It also suggests running a sheet of plain paper through the printer before resuming printing again.

There are directions to go to the Avery website to either download the software you can install on your computer or to use their online tool to create a label. I wanted to use the PC software, so I downloaded it and installed it. It was very disappointing to find that this particular Avery design number was not in the downloadable software, so I had to go online to design it. This meant I needed an internet connection to do it. While I preferred using the downloadable software, the Avery online design tool was easy to use. It allows you to save your design either in you Avery account or on your computer. When you print the design, it exports it to a PDF format for printing.

‘Laminating’ the label was easy. You simply peel off the paper on the side of the page opposite the label, then fold it together, smoothing out any bubbles. Once done, you can peel the laminated label off the backing and affix it to your container.

These labels are very nice. My only disappointment is with the Avery downloadable software.

Avery Easy Align Self-Laminating ID Labels, 3-1/2 x 4-1/2 Inches, Pack of 50 Lamination Labels (00755)
Price: $42.08
15 used & new from $40.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for labeling homemade frozen foods or canned items, January 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I can see a great many uses for the “Avery Easy Align Self-Laminating ID Labels, 3-12 x 4-12 Inches, Pack of 50 Lamination Labels (00755)”, but my primary purpose in choosing these is for labeling homemade foods for freezing. I imagine they would also be good for canning in jars, should someone be into that.

The package includes an instruction sheet that advises the user to not print more than twenty-five sheets at once, and then let the printer rest for a while before continuing. It also specifies you should run a sheet of plain paper through the printer before printing more than twenty-five labels.

Avery includes the address for their site where you can download their software for design printing or you can use the online design tool. The software is my preferred method, because it doesn’t require an internet connection to use, but this particular design number is not in the Avery PC software, so I had to use the online tool. That did work well, and allowed me to either save my design in my Avery account or download it to my computer. When you print from the online tool, it converts the design into a PDF file before printing. I actually saved the PDF file to my computer so I could print it later and this worked very well.

Although you can print only one label if you wish, you cannot run the same sheet through the printer more than once – at least not after using one of the labels. So users should be prepared to either use the entire sheet of labels or waste those they don’t need.

Once printed, it is easy to ‘laminate’ the label simply by removing the backing from the side of the page opposite the label, then folding the page in half, smoothing it to remove any bubbles from the laminated label. Once that is done, you can peel the label off of the backing to stick it on whatever surface you need to label.

My only issue with these labels is that they are not in the downloadable software, which I would prefer to use. Otherwise, I would recommend these labels to others.

Charcoal Companion CC7167 Himalayan Salt Holder & Book Set, 8 x 12"
Charcoal Companion CC7167 Himalayan Salt Holder & Book Set, 8 x 12"
Price: $59.99
2 used & new from $59.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not many recipes for the oven - most are for grilling, January 18, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like the idea of cooking with a Himalayan Salt Plate, and so I ordered the “Charcoal Companion CC7167 Himalayan Salt Holder & Book Set, 8 x 12”. My expectation when I chose this plate was that it could be used in the oven and on the grill, which does still seem true. Unfortunately, the majority of the recipes in the book that came with the item are all for the grill, and the weather where I am is not currently good grilling weather. I’ll be able to use this more in the spring, when it is warmer, but not right now, when the temperatures are freezing. The few recipes that are for the oven are for foods that I either don’t like or am allergic to.

Checking the manufacturer’s website for additional recipes proved fruitless – they have fewer recipes there than in the book that comes with the salt plate, and none of them are what I need now.

I’ve been searching the internet for something to make on this using my oven, and am still trying to find something.

At this time, I have to say that while this may cook very well, finding something to make on it has proved a challenge for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2016 5:10 PM PST

ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-AC3100 Gigabit Router (RT-AC88U)
ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-AC3100 Gigabit Router (RT-AC88U)
Price: $298.99
11 used & new from $298.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful router is easy to configure and gives an excellent wireless signal, January 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I’ve had great success with the Asus router I bought two years ago (RT-AC68U), so I when I had the opportunity to try the “ASUS (RT-AC68U) Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router”, I didn’t hesitate.

The first thing I noticed about the new router is that it had four antennas where my old one had three. My old Asus router broadcast an excellent wireless signal in my home and yard, so I really liked the idea of one more antenna. Each antenna is removable, and each can be turned whichever way you need it to point. My only problem with the antennas is that they seem to loosen easily, no matter how well I think I’ve screwed them on.

At first, I thought the RT-AC88U only had one USB port, but they’ve enclosed the USB v3 port under a cover in the front. This new router also boasts eight Ethernet ports, which I really like since I have several things I like to connect via Ethernet.

The administration interface for this router is much the same as the older Asus model and I have found it to be both robust and intuitive. Asus has done an excellent job with the design for this interface, making every section easy to find and access.

Upgrading the firmware on the router is as easy as clicking the button for that task in the interface. I do appreciate routers that will perform the upgrade check and installation for you, but still allows for you to do so manually as this one does.

The wireless router offers many different security features, from various wireless protocols to hiding your SSID to using MAC address filtering to limit the wireless devices on your network to only those you allow.

The wireless function offers both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHZ, and as with other routers, these operate as separate wireless networks. You can also configure a guest network with internet only access so that guests cannot see your shared folders and other network resources.

As with my old router, I receive a good signal from this one no matter where I am in my home or yard. Connecting to the wireless networks can be as easy as using the WPS button (if you choose to enable that feature) or putting in the passcode for the appropriate network.

With the USB ports, you can connect a variety of devices to this router: external hard drives, printers, etc. that can then be used as networked resources.

I am very pleased with the router so far. Because of the issue with the antennas loosening on their own, I can’t give it five stars, but I will say that this issue has not affected my wireless signal anywhere I need it to reach.

Catit Senses 2.0 Scratcher
Catit Senses 2.0 Scratcher
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $25.49

3.0 out of 5 stars My kitties are interested in it, but haven't scratched it yet., January 7, 2016
This review is from: Catit Senses 2.0 Scratcher (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With four cats in the house, I am always looking for things that will keep them interesting in scratching what they are supposed to and not my furniture. The “Catit Senses 2.0 Scratcher” looked interesting to me because the cardboard they scratch is configurable and replaceable.

It comes in pieces, but putting it together is simple, even without instructions. Once I had all the parts together, I sprayed the cardboard pieces with some catnip spray for good measure. Three of my cats were attracted to it, rubbing against it and laying on the base, but none have scratched it yet. Hopefully they will in time.

Meanwhile, the box it comes in has instructions to cut certain holes out and turn it into a treat game for your kitties. I haven’t tried this yet, but intend to soon.

I’ll report back on this review should my kitties interaction with this scratching post change.

Price: $30.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft, absorbent towels feel good and work well, December 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like a good bath towel. I’ve used the “Optima Collection Silver Level Complete Bath Set, includes 2 Bath Towels, 2 Hand Towels, and 2 Washcloths, 100% Eco-Friendly Pre-Consumer Regenerated Cotton” several times since I got them, and I have been pleased.

These bath towels are large enough to cover my body, although not the largest bath towels I have. They are soft enough to feel nice on my skin, although I do have softer bath towels. And they are as absorbent as any other towels I have.

The hand towels work very well also. This is where having a towel with good absorbency is even more important. I’ve been able to dry my hands on these towels several times in a short span of time with good result. Not only that, they seem to dry faster than my old hand towels.

The washcloths do a fine job of lathering my soap and washing my body.

I would recommend these towels.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20