Profile for Jennifer A. Ray > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 388

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jennifer A. Ray RSS Feed (TN, United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
No Limits (Hqn)
No Limits (Hqn)
by Lori Foster
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.19
89 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars The world and the heroine left me feeling flat, October 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first books I ever read by Lori Foster were the stories in her ‘Love Undercover’ series. Something about those stories grabbed me and wouldn’t let go – I devoured each title in that saga. I first ‘met’ the main characters of ‘No Limits’ in that series when Cannon and Yvette appeared as supporting characters. They were very young in those books, and so I really didn’t think about them possibly having their own book.

When I saw this pair starring in ‘No Limits’, I had high expectations based on the ‘Love Undercover’ books. After I began reading this book, I realized their world felt very different from the one I had been so intrigued by in the ‘Love Undercover’ series and it just didn’t click for me. I was about halfway through this book when I realized that while ‘No Limits’ is connected to the ‘Love Undercover’ books, it is actually in a different series with a different theme.

In the other series, one of the main characters was always in law enforcement and the case they were engaged in was the back plot for the story, often throwing the main characters together very often. In this new series, titled ‘Hard Knocks’, the theme changes from law enforcement to the fighting arena, where the heroes are all MMA fighters. Not only that, but the lead characters are considerably younger than those in the other series. Neither the fight world nor the age group of the lead characters really intrigued me much.

Worse, something about Yvette just left me feeling flat. While I could understand why a woman would fall for Cannon, I could never really see why he fell for her. Granted, love doesn’t often make sense, but I felt like their connection was somewhat forced, despite the shared trauma they experienced together in the past. I also felt like her reactions to certain situations just didn’t ring true.

If this had been the first time I had read a book by Lori Foster, I doubt I would read another. Thankfully, I have enjoyed some of her other books, so I know this is unusual. I can’t say it is a bad book, it is just not a great book. Perhaps someone who is into MMA fighting or enjoys romances with young adults would appreciate this story more than I did. While I will certainly read other books by this author, I won’t continue reading the ‘Hard Knocks’ series.

Masked Innocence (Hqn)
Masked Innocence (Hqn)
by Alessandra Torre
Price: $9.89
57 used & new from $0.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes the kink up a delicious notch, while throwing some interesting obstacles in true love's path, October 15, 2014
This review is from: Masked Innocence (Hqn) (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As soon as I finished reading the first book in Alessandra Torre’s “Innocence” series, I had to buy the sequel, “Masked Innocence.” Our hero and heroine went through quite an evolution in the first part of their story, but in the second book, we learn they both have a long way to go before they even think of the possibility of a happy ending. This pair is so different in nearly every way that one wonders how they will make it, but one thing never in doubt is their love and commitment to one another.

This story puts both characters through the wringer in so many ways, testing the depths of their love for one another again and again. There are times when lesser people would throw in the towel and call it quits, but circumstances make that an impossible choice – especially for Brad. He truly has grown in leaps and bounds from the confirmed bachelor we met in “Blindfolded Innocence” to the man who would do anything for those he loves.

The author certainly throws these two for a loop in her story, but still manages to ramp up the kink to a delicious level that is bound to inspire fantasies in all but the most conservative readers. I should say, if your tastes in romance lean toward the conservative, this is probably not the book for you. If you like to fantasize about things you would likely never do but find it fun to read about, then you should enjoy “Masked Innocence” as much as I did.

Just as when I finished the first book in this series, I bought and read the last book in the series as soon as I finished this one. “Masked Innocence” is the kind of book that makes me appreciate the instant gratification ebooks afford me even more than ever.

Blindfolded Innocence (Hqn)
Blindfolded Innocence (Hqn)
by Alessandra Torre
Price: $10.24
92 used & new from $0.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only could I not put it down, I couldn't wait to buy the sequels as soon as I finished this book!, October 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
‘Blindfolded Innocence’ is the first book I’ve ever ready by author Alessandra Torre, and it definitely will not be the last. When I finished reading this book, I immediately ordered the second in the ‘Innocence’ series from the review list. Within an hour I decided there was no possible way I could wait for that print copy to be shipped to me and bought the Kindle version so I could continue this addictive story without further delay.

With Brad and Julia, this author has created two characters that felt so real to me that I often forgot it was a fictional book and not actually Julia’s diary I was reading. This book is written in first person, using Julia’s perspective, so the reader really gets the chance to emulate all of the mixed emotions Julia deals with during and after each interaction with the utterly confounding and irresistible Brad.

So help me, as much as he did frustrate her, I found myself wishing for a man like him to barrel into my life and sweep me off of my feet. Of course, this isn’t a sweet romance with flowers and candy. No, this is one scorching hot affair that sweeps Julia up like a tidal wave with no idea of where she will end up.

Both of the lead characters are complicated people and while they have plenty of differences, once they do get together it is easy to see what each of them like about the other.

‘Blindfolded Innocence’ is the first part of a three (and a half) book story. There is definitely a cliffhanger at the end, so be prepared to buy the other books in the series if you want the complete story. I knew this when I got the first one, so it didn’t bother me, but I can imagine how disappointed another reader might be if they didn’t realize this book wasn’t the complete story.

SmartyKat Feather Whirl Cat Toy Electronic Motion Ball
SmartyKat Feather Whirl Cat Toy Electronic Motion Ball
Price: $14.97

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a hit with my cats!, October 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Currently, I have five cats in my home. Two of them are about eighteen months old, one is about three years old, and the other two are about sixteen years old. The older cats pretty much stick to a routine of nap and eat, but the younger cats need stimulation – especially if I want them to sleep through the night and not wake me. I have several toys I use with them, but I like to have a couple of hands-off toys so that I can tire them out a bit even when I don’t have time to sit and play myself.

The SmartyKat FeatherWhirl Electronic Motion Ball is definitely interesting to my youngest two cats. Since I turned it on, they’ve been stalking it in the bathroom. Of course, it has been mostly that slow-motion stalking that cats are known for, but as they got more used to it, that did progress into full on batting it with the paws, picking it up and carrying it off, and the like.

The toy needs two AA batteries, which are not included. You will need a small Philips head screwdriver to open the battery compartment and to close it again. Once that is done, slide the stick with the feather on the peg atop the ball, and press the power button on the side to activate it. I’ve had some cat toys that had no power button, requiring removing the batteries every time I need to turn it off, so I have come to appreciate a power button more than you know.

Set the toy on the floor, and it begins a series of random twists and turns, flicking the feather on the end of the stick around in a way that will surely entice most cats as much as it did mine. As with most of these motion toys, this will work best on a hard floor, so if you don’t have much space without carpet, this may not be a good toy for you. That said, even though it doesn’t move around much on carpet, it still wiggles in a way that they like.

Most of my home is carpeted, with the exception of the bathrooms, kitchen, and the dining room. I usually put this kind of toy in the larger bathroom, which works well until it ends up trapped against the cabinet. I also put it in the bathtub, which works well and allows it to move a lot, but of course the tub isn’t very big.

As I’ve written this, the kittens’ stalking of the SmartyKat toy has definitely picked up its pace and progressed to full on capture and growling. These kittens are from the same litter, and are having a great time playing with this gadget.

Price: $145.97
9 used & new from $145.58

4.0 out of 5 stars They cook well, but have few issues for me., October 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A few years ago, I realized the difference in cheap cookware and good cookware when I invested in some KitchenAid pots and pans. Those pans have definitely made a difference both in my cooking and in cleanup and still work as well as they did when I first got them.

Consequently, I was very excited about getting the Cooks Standard NC-00347 10-Piece Hard Anodize Premium Grade Nonstick Cookware Set, Black. The Amazon product page gave me high hopes for this set. As I unboxed and washed them, I was even more excited. The pots and pans have a good, solid feel to them – heavy duty without being too heavy. Not only that, but they have a very attractive look.

Made from aluminum, they have a hard anodized surface that works better than any Teflon coating does. The metal distributes heat very well and the coating keeps food from sticking to them. The manufacturer says you can hand wash them with a towel and forgo the detergent, but I can’t do that. I do wash them in hot water with some Dawn detergent and cleanup is easy.

While the pots and pans are metal, the lids are clear glass, so you can see how your dish is doing without removing the lid. Having used metal lids for most of my life, this made a big difference to me when I first got pans with see-through lids, and I won’t go back willingly. Unlike my KitchenAid set, the Cooks Standard set includes a small hole in the top of each lid, which would let steam escape and also allows the insertion of a cooking thermometer without removing the lid.

Cooks Standard strongly recommends against putting these pans in the dishwasher, and this seems to be pretty standard amongst the more expensive brands of cookware. Since they clean so easily, this hasn’t been a problem for me.

There are a few things that prevent me from giving this cookware set five stars. First, the lids cannot be set half open on the pans. There are times when I want to tilt the lid up to let more steam escape, but not remove the lid completely. These lids won’t stay like that – as soon as you let them go, they slide back into place. I’ve never had a lid that did that before. This may be a plus for some people, but it isn’t for me.

Second, the handles are just too big. They feel good when you are holding them, but they are bulkier than they need to be. Again, this may not be a problem for others, but my kitchen has very narrow cabinets, and it makes it harder to fit these pots and pans in them.

Last, the handles get hot while you are cooking. The manufacturer acknowledges this in the manual, warning that you should use potholders when handling these pans. However, I don’t always find it convenient to have to use a potholder while cooking. None of my other cookware needs a potholder except for the items that go in the oven. Just cooking pasta made the handle warm enough that I felt safer with a potholder to protect my hand. Also, because the handles are smooth and rounded, it is easy for them to slide against the fabric of a pot holder, which isn’t really safe when you are pouring off hot fluids, etc.

This set cooks very well, but given the issues with the handles and the lids, I think they are overpriced when you compare them to competitors’ models.

Post-it 1/2 Inch Notebook Kit, Includes 25 Full Adhesive Notes, Yellow, 2 x 2 Inches and 100 Arrow Flags, Bright Colors (ED-FLIPOUTM)
Price: $5.49
3 used & new from $5.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Kit doesn't stick to notebooks well and sticky notes fell off the pack, October 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Many of us these days use Post-it notes. They are convenient way to leave short notes for others and even ourselves. Over the years, I have also found Post-it flags to be very useful. I use them when I want to mark a section of a document that I need to find easily again or to mark spaces where someone needs sign. Most frequently, however I use Post-it flags to mark interesting recipes in cookbooks.

The Post-it 12 Inch Notebook Kit, Includes 25 Full Adhesive Notes, Yellow, 2 x 2 Inches and 100 Arrow Flags, Bright Colors (ED-FLIPOUTM) intrigued me. Being able to attach the pad of notes and flags to the book or notepad that I am using them with seemed like a great idea.

Unfortunately, the implementation of this product left something to be desired. While the notes and flags work perfectly fine. The sticky back on the kit doesn't hold very well when you place it on a notebook or book. Not only that, but the sticky notes fell off the kit while still in the package and have not stayed affixed to it. Since I received it.

While the notes and flags work well, I can't really recommend this kit since its main purpose is to attach it to a notebook to keep its contents handy.

Safer Brand 14-Ounce Aerosol Ant and Roach Killer 5720
Safer Brand 14-Ounce Aerosol Ant and Roach Killer 5720
Price: $5.98
13 used & new from $3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Ant killer has a fresh scent and actually works, September 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I almost never have problems with ants inside my home, but I do see them on a couple of windows where I have hung suction cup hummingbird feeders, since the ants are drawn to the nectar. I’ve sprayed the perimeter of the windows with Safer Brand 14-Ounce Aerosol Ant and Roach Killer 5720 to prevent them coming inside and also to minimize the ants at these feeders, and this formula has proven effective outside so far. Because it is a contact killer and not a repellent, I do spray the ants on the windows again every few days.

The last time I brought the feeders into the house to wash them, I didn’t get all the ants rinsed off before making it to my kitchen, but luckily caught the few that came in quickly and sprayed the area with this ant killer, which took care of them immediately.

Unlike most insect sprays, this one has a fresh citrus spray that is actually pleasant.

If you need a good ant killer, I’d recommend this spray. If you need something to keep them away, this is not the product for you.

Cell Phone Battery Charger by Haidue - 10000mah Dual-port Ultra Compact Battery Charger - Fast Charging, High Capacity - For Iphone 6 5s 5c 5, Ipad Air Mini, Galaxy S5 S4, Tab 2, Note 3 4, Lg G3, Nexus, HTC One M8, Moto X, Ps Vita and More - Built In LED Flashlight
Offered by C & A Team Online
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The most attractive power bank I've had, but it is still very functional, September 26, 2014
I never thought I'd say this about a power bank, but the Cell Phone Battery Charger by Haidue - 10000mah Dual-port Ultra Compact Battery Charger is the prettiest power bank I've ever used. Of course, being pretty really isn't a criteria for choosing such a device, but since this one is just as functional as it is attractive, the look is just a bonus. The gold finish is subtle, not gaudy, and the lines of the device are smooth.

This power bank has two USB ports which can be used to charge most devices that charge via USB - not just cell phones. I've used it with my Plantronics 975 Bluetooth headset, my Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone, and my Kindle Fire HD tablet. All of these devices kept their charge while plugged into this device.

With 10000 mAH, this battery backup can fully charge my Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone three times, with some juice leftover.

To charge the power bank itself, simply plug the micro USB cable into the matching port, and plug the USB end of that cable into either the port on your computer or into a USB power adapter.

There is a flashlight built into this device, so if you have a power outage, you can use it to charge your phone and to see in the dark. The flashlight isn't very strong, but it is definitely enough for an emergency like a power outage, at least to help you find your standard flashlight.

If you have a device that charges via USB and you don't want to be caught with a dead battery, I would recommend this power bank.

I received a complementary sample unit for review.

George Foreman GRP360R 360 Grill
George Foreman GRP360R 360 Grill
Price: $43.16
4 used & new from $35.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Indoor grill handles steaks, chicken, burgers, Paninis, and more, September 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love to grill, and use my gas grill on the patio when I can, but sometimes the weather just doesn’t allow for outdoor grilling. Luckily, indoor grills can work very well for most meals.

I’ve used several indoor grills before, but have wanted a George Foreman grill for a while, having heard good things about it from friends who own one. I got the George Foreman GRP360R 360 Grill this week and used it the night it arrived to grill a nice rib eye steak.

Until I used one, I really didn’t understand what the difference was between a George Foreman grill and the other indoor grills. The George Foreman model is the only one I’ve used that slopes forward, with the drip tray in the front to catch all the juices and fat. This provides two great advantages: there is less chance of the juices and liquids overflowing over the rim of the grill plates and it makes it easier to clean after you’ve finished cooking.

Cleaning this grill really is easy. The grill plates are removable – I won’t own a device that doesn’t have removable plates anymore. After removing the plates, you can completely submerge them in water to wash them either by hand or in the dishwasher. I washed them by hand when it arrived so I could use it immediately, and then ran them through the dishwasher after dinner. The drip pan is also simple to wash. I put it in the top rack of the dishwasher last night and it worked fine there.

The specifications state that this is a four-serving grill, and that really just depends on what you are cooking. The rib eye I grilled last night is pretty big, and I think I could only fit three of those on this grill.

I should also mention that since this device has grill plates both on the top and bottom you can cut your grill time a lot and shouldn’t need to flip most items you grill on it. I didn’t flip the steak that I grilled last night.

The hinge on the back of the grill is pretty wide, and this (combined with the top and bottom grill plates) makes it ideal for grilling Panini sandwiches as well.

The manufacturer’s website has additional plates you can buy for this grill if you want to make waffles with it as well.

I am very pleased with this grill and expect to use it on rainy summer days and throughout the winter when I can’t grill outside.

RAVPower® 3rd Gen Deluxe 13000mAh External Battery Portable Dual USB Charger 4.5A Output Power Bank. iSmart(tm) Broad Compatibility, Fast Charging, High Capacity, Ultra Compact. For iPhone 6 6 plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air mini (Apple 30pin and Lightning Cable Not Included), Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 3 2, Tab 4 3 2 Pro, Nexus, HTC One, One 2 (M8), LG G3, Nexus, MOTO X and More (Black)
Offered by Sunvalleytek
Price: $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Power bank charges 2 USB devices simultaneously and has plenty of power to keep you going all day long, September 26, 2014
Since I first discovered the convenience of power banks a few years ago, they have become a must have in both my purse and my laptop case. I have had great experiences with those made by RAVPower, and so I was definitely interested in their new RAVPower 3rd Gen Deluxe 13000mAh External Battery Portable Dual USB Charger 4.5A Output Power Bank.

This power bank boasts 13000 mAH, and so it can fully charge my Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone five times. That's pretty amazing. I don't think I could actually deplete my phone's battery five times in one day. That might make one think this power bank is overkill, but since I can also use it for my Kindle Fire HD tablet, Bluetooth headsets, and my work phone, a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD, having that much juice in one battery backup is really handy.

With two USB ports, this device can charge two of my devices simultaneously using either the micro USB cables included in the package or the USB package that came with my devices. You charge the power bank itself by plugging the micro USB cable into its matching port and then plug the USB end into either your computer's port or you can use a USB power adapter. I use the RAVPower® 30W/6A USB Travel Wall Charger / USB Desktop Charge 4-Port Rapid Charging Station iSmart, for iPhone 6 plus, 6, 5s, 5c, 5, 4s, 4; iPad 5, Air, Mini; Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, S3, S2, Note 4, 3, 2; Kindle Fire HD HDX; Google Nexus 4, 5, 7, 10; Mot... to charge it.

Like many power banks, this one also has a built-in flashlight so if your power goes out you can use this device both to charge your phone and to make your way through the dark. The light is not terribly strong, but it is enough to see where you are going.

The package includes the power bank itself, two micro USB to USB cables, one Samsung 30-pin adapter, one mini USB adapter, a user guide, and a useful travel bag that will keep all of those items together.

If you have issues with running out of battery power with your devices when on the go, or you just want to make sure you are covered in case of a power outage, this is a great power bank to have on hand.

I received a complementary sample unit for review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20