Profile for Jennifer A. Ray > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 408

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jennifer A. Ray RSS Feed (TN, United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Samsung NX3000 Wireless Smart 20.3MP Compact System Camera with 20-50mm Compact Zoom and Flash  (Black)
Price: $479.00
2 used & new from $479.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great higher-end camera with some very nice extra features, August 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I appreciate that I can capture decent photographs and videos with my smartphone these days, but I really only use the camera on my smartphone for impromptu photo ops. When I want to take pictures of memorable events, like on vacation or gatherings with loved ones, I want to use a much better camera. Cameras like the Samsung NX3000 Wireless Smart 20.3MP Compact System Camera with 20-50mm Compact Zoom and Flash (Black) do a much better job of getting all of the detail in your subject, and respond much faster than a smartphone if you want to take several photos in rapid succession - something very important if you are trying to capture candid moments involving children, pets, or nature.

The Samsung NX3000 is a very nice camera. It is small, although not as compact as lower priced digital cameras, but then it has many more features than those models do. My uncle used to be a professional photographer and still enjoys it as a hobby. He knows much more about photography than I do and was impressed with the NX3000's capabilities.

At 20.3 Megapixels, most photographers should have no complaints regarding the quality of the photos this camera produces. Samsung boasts a capture rate for this camera of 5 frames per second, and with that I should be able to get a good shot of one of the hummingbirds that visit my feeders soon. I've taken some through the window, but plan to spend an afternoon sitting still near a feeder outside so I can get some really good shots with this camera. I figure this shouldn't be too hard to do if I take advantage of the camera's tripod port on the bottom to make sure my arms don't get tired waiting for a hummingbird.

The camera comes with a 16-50mm power zoom lens that is removable. You can buy other lenses to attach to the camera if you have different needs. I also have the Samsung NX300 20.3MP CMOS Smart WiFi Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens and 3.3" AMOLED Touch Screen (Black) and Samsung NX1000 Black ~ 20.3MP Digital Camera with 20-50mm Lens cameras, and previously purchased the Samsung 50-200mm Telephoto zoom lens for NX Series Cameras after buying the NX300. This lens fits the NX300, NX1000, and this NX3000 as well. In fact, I find that Samsung takes care to make most of the accessories for the NX series interchangeable. One major difference with the NX3000 is that they drastically changed the battery, so if you have one of the older model cameras, don't count on repurposing spare batteries from those devices to this new one.

This camera also comes with a removable flash, encased in its own plastic protective case to store it in when you aren't using it.

One interesting feature is that the view finder LCD screen flips up so that you can view it above the camera lens from the front of the camera in order to take a selfie. The biggest problem with that feature is that you cannot use the flash and take a selfie this way easily. If the flash is attached, the LCD screen cannot flipped completely vertical, and the flash blocks your view of the screen, right in the center. Also, if the LCD is not completely vertical, the view from the front is shown as upside down. The photo it takes this way is right side up, but the LCD screen doesn't switch to selfie mode until it is all the way up, at which point it displays the image you will capture right side up in the viewer. I think this feature could be handy, but the implementation is a bit lacking due to this.

One of the most exciting features with this camera is its ability to connect to your wireless network so you can transfer images to your PC without the included cable. It also uses NFC to connect to other devices, such as your smartphone, where you can use handy apps from Samsung to further extend the feature set on this device. For instance, you can use the Remote Viewfinder Pro to turn your smartphone into a remote so you can easily include yourself in group photos without having to run to be in the shot last minute. I found it easy to connect it to my wireless network and to my smartphone.

The quality of the photos I have taken with this camera is just wonderful, and I have experienced equal success with its video capture function. It can record video in HD, so all of those wonderful moments you record will be sharp and clear when you play them back over and over. I have several black cats, which don't always photograph well, but this camera does a really good job with them.

In the box: camera, 16-50 mm zoom lens, flash, USB cable (for charging and connection to PC), power adapter for USB cable, camera strap, rechargeable battery and a copy of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.

I am very much an amateur photographer, and I know I am underutilizing the features on this camera still, but the manual is so detailed that I learn a little bit more about both this camera and photography in general each time I read it. If you are in the market for a higher end camera with the ability to add lenses and take high resolution photos, this camera is a great option. If you are looking for a basic no frills camera, this one might be too much for you.

DII 100-Percent Cotton, Machine Washable Real Tree Flounce Ruffle Apron, Pink
DII 100-Percent Cotton, Machine Washable Real Tree Flounce Ruffle Apron, Pink
Price: $28.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Feminine apron is still functional and will truly fit most people, August 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I cook a lot, and most of my meals alone are homemade, but I also love to entertain. When I cook for myself, it is often in casual clothes that I don’t care if they are stained, but when I cook for guests, I like to wear something nicer – not necessarily fancy, but something attractive and I don’t want to have to change clothes halfway through the evening because I spilled something on it while cooking. Just a week ago I threw a dinner party for a friend’s birthday, and if I hadn’t worn an apron, I’d have splattered barbecue sauce on a blouse I really love.

Until now, all the aprons I have are pretty basic. They may have a pretty color or design, but they had no shape to them. I love the flirty, feminine aprons that are more fun but still protect the garments underneath them, like the DII 100-Percent Cotton, Machine Washable Real Tree Flounce Ruffle Apron, Pink.

This apron is available in two designs: ‘real tree camo’ and ‘real tree pink camo’. Looking at the photos online, I don’t really care for the real tree camo one, and I’m not usually a camo girl at all. To be honest, I looked at the design of the pink one and decided I liked it before I ever noticed it also had the word ‘camo’ in its name. It just doesn’t look like camo to me.

Now that I have the apron, I can say it is as cute as it looks in the photo. The ruffled bottom was pretty creased when I took it out of the package, preventing it from laying flat, but a quick swipe of my steamer fixed that. I don’t expect this to be a problem in the future as I hang my aprons from a hook in my pantry after washing and drying them – I never fold them.

The manufacturer advises that one size fits most. I am currently an XL size, and this apron fit me just fine with plenty of sash left over to make a pretty bow behind the neck and behind the back. The sash is nice and wide, which makes a much prettier bow than the skinny string ties that most aprons have.

There are two pockets on the front that blend in with the design of the apron. Honestly, I’ve had other aprons with pockets and never put anything in them. I just don’t know what I need to carry there while I am working in the kitchen, but I am glad to have that feature in case I find use for it in the future.

I like this apron a lot and can’t wait to wear it next time I cook for company.

AmazonBasics DVI to DVI Cable - 9.8 Feet (3 Meters)
AmazonBasics DVI to DVI Cable - 9.8 Feet (3 Meters)
Price: $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Long DVI cable provides great picture quality, August 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The video card in my desktop PC only has a DVI and an HDMI port. HP didn’t include either cable (none of the PC manufacturers do nowadays), but they thoughtfully provided an adapter that connects the VGA cable from my monitor to the DVI port on the computer. This worked fine for the last year, but I always intended to get a better cable for it. The picture quality was good, but DVI and HDMI are always going to be better than VGA.

I used the AmazonBasics DVI to DVI Cable - 9.8 Feet (3 Meters) on the primary monitor on my computer and it worked very well. My monitor is right above the computer, but the length of this cable works well even if your computer is further away from the monitor.

I do believe the picture quality is better than it was with the adapter. Regardless, I like having one less piece between the computer and the monitor – fewer components means fewer things to go wrong.

I also tested connecting two monitors to the desktop PC using this DVI cable and an HDMI cable and it worked very well. I’ll definitely be buying a new monitor to set this up permanently.

If you are in the market for a good DVI cable, I would recommend this one.

Composition Book by Mead, Wide Ruled, 100 Sheets, Fashion Red, (72245)
Composition Book by Mead, Wide Ruled, 100 Sheets, Fashion Red, (72245)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy notebook has plenty of pages and some nice extra features, but you cannot easily tear out the pages, August 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Composition Book by Mead, Wide Ruled, 100 Sheets, Fashion Red, (72245) is intended primarily for use by students, and it shows in the extra features found inside the covers. Inside the front cover is a chart where a student can record their class schedule. The back cover has a multiplication table, conversion table, and grammar rules. The cover is made of a sturdy cardboard that make it easy to write in the notebook even if you don’t have a table or desk in front of you. There are 100 sheets that are lined both front and back, so you effectively have 200 pages on which to write your notes.

I use this notebook for work, so those extra features are not so useful in my day to day activities, but nice to have regardless.

The pages themselves are made to stay in the composition book – there is no perforation to make it easy to tear out a page if you need to.

I would recommend this composition book to anyone who needs one. If you need a notebook that makes it easy to remove the pages, then you should look at other notebooks.

Wilson Jones 362 Basic Round Ring View Binder, 3 Inch, White (W362-49W)
Wilson Jones 362 Basic Round Ring View Binder, 3 Inch, White (W362-49W)
Price: $7.39
30 used & new from $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good binder, but doesn't open and close as easily as the W87911PP3 model, August 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Until recently, I thought most binders were pretty much the same, with a ring lever like the one found in Wilson Jones 362 Basic Round Ring View Binder, 3 Inch, White (W362-49W). These old-fashioned levers are harder to open and close, and I always try to be careful to not spill the pages already in the binder while trying to add more.

This binder is good, but it isn't the best. It is sturdy, and the rings hold securely when they are closed. Plastic pockets inside the cover hold some loose sheets should you need to.

But after using Wilson Jones Ultra Duty Round Ring View Binder with Extra Durable Hinge, 3 Inch, White (W87911PP3), I would choose that model over the W362-49W. The other model's ring lever is much easier to open and close. Now, if budget is tight, then you will want to stick with the W362-49W, as it is a few dollars less.

Dr. Scholl's Dreamwalk High Heel Insoles, Women's Sizes 6-10
Dr. Scholl's Dreamwalk High Heel Insoles, Women's Sizes 6-10
Price: $7.97
19 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfy insoles don't need to be cut to fit shoes, work well with strappy and open toe heels., August 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My job in IT requires I dress professionally and sometimes finds me standing at a server rack on a hard server room floor. Most of my work outfits include high-heeled shoes, and these can take a toll on the feet when you stand all day. Luckily, that doesn't happen too often, but the few times it does, having something like the Dr. Scholl's Dreamwalk High Heel Insoles helps alleviate any pain induced by those shoes.

In the past, I've used Dr Scholl's For Her Sole Expressions Insole, Women's 6-10, 3-Pair Packages (Pack of 2), and liked them a lot. Dr. Scholl's Dreamwalk insoles are even better than those, and the price shows. What's the difference? The Dreamwalk insoles have a good bit more cushion than the other model, and would be a better choice if you are prone to foot pain or if you have a particularly uncomfortable pair of heels you need them in.

Other than that, the two insoles are pretty similar. Both work well in high heels, and both can be worn even with strappy or open toe shoes without exposing the insole. Neither of them need to be cut to fit your shoe, something I very much appreciate.

Dr. Scholl's Dreamwalk High Heel Insoles are very comfortable and I would recommend them.

3M Performance Plus Duct Tape 8979 Slate Blue, 48 mm x 22.8 m (Pack of 1)
3M Performance Plus Duct Tape 8979 Slate Blue, 48 mm x 22.8 m (Pack of 1)
Price: $17.94
10 used & new from $9.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Holds items securely, yet I can tear it off the roll with my hand, August 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I think of the 3M brand, I think of sticky notes. I didn’t realize they made duct tape until recently. The 3M Performance Plus Duct Tape 8979 Slate Blue, 48 mm x 22.8 m (Pack of 1) is just as strong and durable as you would expect duct tape to be and holds items securely.

Even though it is very strong tape, I was still able to tear it evenly by hand, something I can’t say about all duct tape.

This roll is big enough that it should last me quite a while for use around the house. I would recommend this duct tape.

Price: $13.79
3 used & new from $13.79

5.0 out of 5 stars I love to cook and often try new recipes I found ..., August 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love to cook and often try new recipes I found on the internet. I do bookmark these recipes and sometimes import them into my Mastercook software, but most often I print them so I can hang them on my refrigerator to refer to while making the dish. If it is a recipe I like, I never throw out the printed copy, saving it to use the next time I make that dish. Until recently, I’ve kept those printed recipe pages loose in an office tray, but this is becoming difficult to manage. I’m unwilling to dispose of those printed pages, though, because I’ve had at least one occasion where a favorite recipe disappeared completely from the internet – the page I’d bookmarked was gone and the few other sites it had been on took the recipe down as well. If I hadn’t saved the printed page, I’d have lost that recipe for good.

I started hole punching these pages to put in the Wilson Jones Ultra Duty Round Ring View Binder with Extra Durable Hinge, 3 Inch, White (W87911PP3). Right now I have them separated by recipe type using sticky notes, but will be adding dividers for entrée, dessert, etc. soon. This 3-inch binder holds up to 700 pages, so this should last me quite a long time, even with the addition of the dividers.

The rings are easy to open and close with the lever, but stay secure otherwise. I like that I’ll be able to remove the pages when I need to use them again, since I find it most convenient to put recipes on the fridge door while I am using them. Of course, if I wanted to use them still in the binder, it lays nice and flat while opened to a page, so you don’t have to worry about losing your page when you take your hand off of it, like with a cookbook.

The binder is covered with a plastic coating that will wipe clean should I spill food on it. I am very happy with this binder and would recommend it.

Mead Pretty Please Notebook, 10-1/2 x 8-Inches , 1-Subject, 80 sheets, College Ruled, Large Flowers (72008)
Price: $8.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Great notebook, but it is extremely overpriced for only 80 pages, August 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We live in a digital age, but there are still times when you need a good old fashioned notebook to write things down. Although I normally use my tablet or smartphone to take notes in business meetings, I would never show up to such a meeting without a notepad in my briefcase to use should my electronic device have unexpected difficulties. You never know when you will unexpectedly deplete your battery or the device will fail altogether. There is nothing so unprofessional as to be unprepared and asking a customer to halt the meeting while you attempt to fix your technical problems is not good business.

The Mead Pretty Please Notebook, 10-12 x 8-Inches , 1-Subject, 80 sheets, College Ruled, Large Flowers (72008) is a decent notebook, with standard sized lined paper and a strong cardboard cover.

I always choose lined paper because frankly, my handwriting gets sloppy without lines. The strong cardboard cover comes in very handy when I am taking notes without the benefit of a desk or table, such as in a conference or while standing at a server rack in a customer’s server room.

This notebook is good for students, home users, or office workers. However, I think it is extremely overpriced for what it is. At the time I posted this review, Amazon charged $9.58 for it. That’s quite a lot for a single notebook with only eighty pieces of paper in it, no matter how pretty the cover is.

ACE Wrist Stabilizer with Custom Dial System, Left
ACE Wrist Stabilizer with Custom Dial System, Left
Price: $30.78
4 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable brace is easy to put on and remove, August 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've broken both of my wrists at separate times. Although they each healed well, I find both can get sore when I do anything strenuous. I try to wear a brace whenever I'm doing any lifting, digging, or similar physical activity. I have also discovered I have a tendency to tuck my wrists under my chin while I sleep, which results in me waking with pain in that area. Sleeping with a brace on my wrists prevents me from holding my wrists that way in bed at night.

I have several braces that I've used over the years and most of them are pretty similar, with differences only in color or material. The ACE Wrist Stabilizer with Custom Dial System is the first one that I've used that has a very different closure mechanism. Rather than the standard Velcro straps, this one has cords on dials that simply twist to tighten to the perfect comfort level for you. The old Velcro straps hold well, but they do have a tendency to pick up lint, pet hair, and other debris as you wear them. These cords and dials do not, which I like. It's one thing when you are wearing the brace at home alone, but when you are out in public, you really want to have the brace as clean as possible, and washing them doesn't remove anything stuck to Velcro.

I've always had good experiences with Ace bandage products, and this brace lives up to my expectation from this brand. The brace is sturdy, immobilizing the wrist where I need it, but still allowing for some movement so you can function throughout the day. The material is comfort and it is easy to put on and take off.

One thing of note is that the dial system does not allow for the brace to be used on either wrist like the Velcro models do. I tried the brace for the left wrist, and will definitely be buying one for my right one as well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20