Profile for Clint > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Clint RSS Feed (Inverness)

Page: 1 | 2
Manfrotto MVH500AH Flat Base Pro Fluid Head (Black)
Manfrotto MVH500AH Flat Base Pro Fluid Head (Black)
Price: $169.88
48 used & new from $148.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, smooth and silky movement, January 7, 2015
Very nice, smooth and silky movement. It's a little larger than the 700-series which I would have bought (had it not been discontinued), but it's definitely a nice head. The drop-in feature is a big improvement on its predecessors.

Evecase Canvas DSLR Camera Backpack w/Laptop Compartment & Rain Cover for Nikon D810, D800/D800E, D750, D700, D610, D600, D90, D80, D60, D4S, D4, D7100, D7000, D5500, D5300, D5200, D3300 (Gray)
Offered by BlueMall

2.0 out of 5 stars More fashion than function, but the camera compartment works ..., January 7, 2015
More fashion than function, but the camera compartment works very well for my camera. But the straps are hopeless unless you have very small shoulders. For me, it's a joke, not even close to fitting.

Manfrotto MB MBAG70N Unpadded 70cm Tripod Bag
Manfrotto MB MBAG70N Unpadded 70cm Tripod Bag
Price: $35.88
10 used & new from $22.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, January 7, 2015
Excellent, very solid.

APLUS ® Aluminum Metal Magnetic USB Charging Charger Cable for Sony Xperia Z3 , Sony Xperia Z3 Compact , Sony Xperia Z Ultra (XL39H), Sony Xperia Z1 (L39H),T-Mobile Sony Xperia Z1s (C6916), Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (D5503), Sony Xperia Z2 (L50t), Sony Z3 tablet (Gold)
Offered by Kinwei
Price: $11.80

Sony PXWX70 HD422 Hand Held Camcorder with 3.5-Inch LCD (Black)
Sony PXWX70 HD422 Hand Held Camcorder with 3.5-Inch LCD (Black)
Offered by Adorama Camera
Price: $1,999.00
9 used & new from $1,950.00

5.0 out of 5 stars But the camera performs brilliantly, and exceeds my expectations, January 7, 2015
As others have noted, the ZXAVC format is not well supported, though that is improving. But the camera performs brilliantly, and exceeds my expectations.

Famemaster 4D-Vision Saturn V Rocket Model
Famemaster 4D-Vision Saturn V Rocket Model
2 used & new from $386.93

5.0 out of 5 stars and clearly made for love of doing it, November 24, 2014
Really, for such a huge model, the very minor flaws I found don't detract -- it's simply superb, and clearly made for love of doing it. There are so many details that you don't even see on the assembled rocket, but which match the real Saturn V. After assembling, you can pull it apart into its major sections (or minor, if you wish) and demonstrate how the rocket actually worked.

I needed a TINY amount trimming with a sharp blade to get a couple of pieces to fit, and used glue for a total of 7 pieces (the spheres on the J-2 engines, and one fin). Other than that it really is a snap-together marvel -- although I would certainly describe it as advanced snap-together. Some parts (LM particularly) are like 3-D jigsaws, though they have cleverly chamfered the crucial snaps to guide you.

Overall wonderful!

Pebble Smartwatch for iPhone and Android (Black)
Pebble Smartwatch for iPhone and Android (Black)
Price: $89.99
246 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just exactly right, November 14, 2014
I think this is the ideal smartwatch. It's not a "smartphone on your wrist", like the Android Wear watches, and that's exactly the point. I already have a big, heavy, battery-eating, attention-demanding phone; the whole point of the watch is to be something different, and for my money Pebble have nailed it.

First, YOU CAN READ IT IN THE DAYLIGHT! This is absolutely the most basic thing about a watch for me -- I glance at my wrist and see the information I want instantly. In darkness, a little shake lights the screen up; but most of the time, it's just there. Sure, a rich full-colour display would be very fancy; but the monochrome display on the Pebble is crisp and easy to read, EVEN IN DAYLIGHT. This is huge.

Beyond this, it's light and easy to wear, and the battery lasts -- typically most of a week for me, though it does depend on what you do with it.

The design is pitched at just the right level of technology. It's not constantly demanding attention by making you say "OK Google" or swipe through pages of information; just a simple button click -- which you can do without looking at it -- is all you need most of the time. But it gives me all I want in a wearable. All my notifications (but see below) come to the watch, and can be dismissed with a click; when I get a call, I can see who's calling and reject the call, if I want, with a button. So I can keep the demands of my phone in check without getting it out of my pocket. I also get weather, timers, hike tracking, and everything else I want.

The one big wart on this is the Android app (I can't speak for the iPhone). The app is pretty but flaky, and it's difficult to navigate the available watchfaces and apps. Worst, it doesn't pass on all notifications! You need to install an add-on (I use Pebble Notifier) to get them all. This is a slight pain, but once it's done, you're set. The good news is that there's a completely re-written app in the pipeline (in beta now) which will hopefully solve all this.

Overall, I call it great. I think they've completely nailed it -- this is exactly the right amount of stuff for your wrist, no more, no less.

Manfrotto MK393-H Photo-Movie Kit with Aluminum Tripod and 3-Way Head with Quick Release
2 used & new from $94.88

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally useless for video, November 3, 2014
This is the absolutely most totally hopeless tripod I've ever used for video. The legs themselves are OK, very light which of course is as advertised. The problem is the head.

First, the pan and tilt controls are combined in a single handle, so you can't adjust them independently. That's pretty lame.

Second, and much worse, the tilt is WAY looser than the pan. So by the time you loosen the control to where the camera can pan, it has already toppled forward or backwards under its own weight.

Third, the parts of the head are attached together loosely and with tons of play. So when you try to pan, the camera moves due to this free play, and springs back when you let go.

Fourth, even loosened up, the pan action is very sticky.

Altogether it's literally impossible to pan with this camera. I found myself trying to do it by gripping the base of the head and twisting, but even then it's just impossible.

And finally, the head is non-removable! I could fix this by adding a 701 head, but that's not possible.

Basically don't get this for video.

Blurex Slim folio Case For ACER ICONIA TAB A510 / A700 -- With Multi-Angle Stand Function
Offered by LGeOO Electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great on the A700, July 3, 2012
This case is great -- I've had it for a while now, and the tablet has never been removed from it. You can charge, watch movies, etc., all in the case. The stand-up feature works far better than those on some other cases.

One change I've just made is to put the tablet i upside-down -- it works just as well, apart from the volume controls being on the bottom, but now I can plug a USB thumb drive in the USB port (using the tablet's USB adapter cable) to add movies to watch.

Overall superb.

Sony ECM-CG50 Shotgun Microphone for NEX-VG10 and HDR-FX1000 - Black
Sony ECM-CG50 Shotgun Microphone for NEX-VG10 and HDR-FX1000 - Black
Price: $144.49
19 used & new from $118.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems good, March 26, 2011
There's not much info around about this mic, so I took a chance, and here you go! Hope this review is helpful.

So far I've given this mic some light use outdoors on my Panasonic TM700, and it seems to work well. I've also tested it with my Olympus LS-10 recorder, and that seems fine too. I can't say much to the audio quality, since I've only used it for some outdoor sounds -- and I'm not a great judge -- but it certainly seems great to me. Sound levels were fine, it sounds nice to my thick ear, it's pretty directional, and in the supplied clamp handling the camera (carefully) was no problem. Only issue was the furry cat trying to get in to the tops of my wide-angle shots, which I think I can solve (see below). It definitely seems well-made.

The mic uses an AA battery for power, or can use plug-in power if the device it's plugged in to supports that. I tested it with a battery, but since both my devices supply plug-in power, that's how I'm mainly using it, and it works fine (you may have to enable plug-in power in your device's settings). It seems slightly lower level than the built-in mics on both devices, but worked fine. (The battery didn't make a difference to that.) The plug is stereo, and the sound seems to be connected to both channels.

The supplied wind muff is OK. It slides directly on over the front -- a little tight at first but it goes. It's quite lightweight, and it's just the fur, no foam, but certainly offers some protection against wind -- I was using it in very blustery conditions, and while real wind will definitely come through, it helps a fair bit if you can get some shelter. If you want to try a different muff, you'll want something that covers 108mm / 4.25" from the front at least; 120mm / 4.72" is where the switch begins.

Physically, the mic measures about 21 mm / 27/32" in diameter, and 261 mm / 10 3/8" long. Allow at least an inch behind that for the cord grip and cord if you're going to have something behind it. There's a clear 101mm / 3.98 inches behind the on/off/low-cut switch for holding it (in a shockmount etc). If you don't mind covering the switch, you gain another 31mm / 1.22 inches. The wind muff comes back to that point.

The mount that comes with it is fine. It has a standard cold shoe mount, with a tripod thread in the middle; it also comes with an adaptor for Sony alpha cameras (which I'm not using). The mic is held directly over the mount, with the centre axis about 72mm / 2.83" above the base of the mount. The mount has a swivel joint in it so the mic can be turned left or right. Since my camera has the cold shoe bracket way forwards, I'm placing the grip over the on/off switch to get the mic back out of wide-angle view, which is fine as I have no battery in it. If your shoe mount is farther back, you should have less of a problem (depending on your lens).

The shock absorption comes from the fact that the top grip part of the mount is joined to the upright part with a block of rubber; also the grip has soft rubber pads and a rubber bushing inside it. This seems to work OK, although major handling noise is picked up; it could be that a bungee-type shockmount could help, if this becomes an issue.

The mic stand has a cord clip on it, which I can't use due to how the cord routes on my camera. However the cord -- about 325mm / 12.8" long -- is nice and sturdy, and doesn't flop about, so this is no problem in practice. The plug is right-angled.

Overall, seems pretty good!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2012 8:44 AM PST