Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for R. George > Reviews

Browse

R. George's Profile

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. George "raygeo3" RSS Feed (Brooklyn, NY)

Page: 1 | 2
The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace: A Brilliant Young Man Who Left Newark for the Ivy League
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, March 29, 2016
Heartbreaking yet informative story of an incredible life brought to an end too early. Extremely well written and researched - would stringly recommend as mamy people as possible reading this book.

Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars an inspiring, wonderful read, April 10, 2014
This book is the companion to Seabiscuit and Unbroken, about an amazing generation enduring tremendous hardship and excelling against all odds. It is also a testament to the spirit of the west.

Justified Season 2
Justified Season 2
Price: $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal season of drama, May 25, 2013
This review is from: Justified Season 2 (Amazon Video)
The second season with the Bennett, Crowder, and Givens dynamics is first rate. The perfect blend of intrigue, humor and violence. Highly recommend.

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
by Christopher McDougall
Price: $19.39
585 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A phenomenal book about running but more importantly a way of life, May 17, 2009
My wife handed me Born to Run about 24 hours ago and said "you might like this." Having run quite a bit but nursing an achilles tendon injury for about 3 years, I had almost given up on my dreams of getting back into marathon shape. 24 hours (and very little sleep) later, I feel inspired, awed, and enlightened, and I have Christopher's wonderful book to thank.

In a nutshell, I have not been this entralled by a story since Shadow Divers, Seabiscuit and/or Into Thin Air. Christopher's recounting of the forbidding Copper Canyons, the amazing Tarahumara, ultramarathoners young and old, and the greatest race you've never heard of is enough for me to give this a rave review. But like the aforementioned books, there is so much more to this story, not the least of which was Christopher's own quest (and amazing resiliency) to run without pain. Finally, he put to words many of the thoughts and feelings I've had about running but am unable to articulate. And Christopher is a great writer - I laughed out loud many times throughout. He has a style akin to a Timothy Cahill - a great wit that was obviously aided by a wonderfully intriguing cast of characters.

As the sun was coming up this morning I was a bit sad to see this book end, and am already contemplating picking it up again. But only after I strap on the old, beaten up sneaks and get in a quick jog. Thanks so much for writing this book - I hope it changes lives and perspectives in the process.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2015 5:22 PM PDT

Liz Phair [Explicit]
Liz Phair [Explicit]
Offered by CheapGeek101
Price: $10.99
201 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the critics - Liz still writes great songs, August 6, 2003
This review is from: Liz Phair [Explicit] (Audio CD)
Let's give this whole sell-out notion a rest - this is Ms. Phair continuing to write provocative and honest songs with great rock sensibilities. If you loved Guyville, Whip Smart and/or WhiteChocolateSpaceEgg, you will enjoy Extraordinary, Rock Me, WHC and others.
Yes, more of the songs (particularly the Matrix produced) are commercially accessible, but that doesn't automatically make them bad. Sure, Why Can't I sounds like Avril, but an Avril that is 15 years older, divorced and raising a young son on her own. The lyrics remain engaging and poignant.
The more I listen to this record, the more I prefer it to her past efforts. I respect Ms. Phair for moving onward and upward - and I particularly for providing us a damn good record. Now if we could only get her to do a record with Paul Westerberg, I could die a happy man...

Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk
Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk
by Legs McNeil
34 used & new from $5.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Blunt, crude and utterly original, the best punk history yet, July 5, 2001
Over the years there have been so many people and bands who have claimed to carry the "punk" banner that it's essence and spirit has been diluted into marketing babble. This book sets the record straight on the origins, practitioners and locations that defined what punk was all about. The narrative here is unadulterated and incredibly engrossing.
While you may think about some of these icons differently after reading this book, you cannot deny the incendiary creativity and raw lust for life in these New York and Detroit punk pioneers. At times simultaneously hilarious, repulsive and depressing, this book is a fascinating historical trip through the '60's and '70's. Say what you will, but these folks walked the talk like no one else in rock and roll before or since.
Finally, the bare bones, tell-it-in-their-own-words style here is refreshing and free of over-interpretation. Like punk itself, it avoids hyperbole and reflection and just tells it like it was, warts and all. Thanks to McNeil & McCain for such a terrific read. Some recent artists who claim to be punk should read this and just be ashamed of themselves...

The Fourth Trimester: And You Thought Labor Was Hard...
The Fourth Trimester: And You Thought Labor Was Hard...
by Amy Einhorn
45 used & new from $0.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A scary, funny and down-to-earth primer for new parents, May 23, 2001
As I continue to struggle through the overwhelming information in "What to Expect...." while my wife and I expect our first child, I found Ms. Einhorn's book an incredibly realistic and humorous perspective on the madness that is "newborn propoganda." Her frank, refreshing voice highlighted the sometimes shocking experiences during the newborn's first 6 weeks. But despite all the mental and physical hardship that are in store for my wife (and to a much lesser extent me - that is now EMINENTLY clear), I found her book immensely reassuring. Her acknowledgement that we all have made, and will continue to make, mistakes and that it's basically OK is one of those obvious things that needs to be said. Thanks for this terrific read - it was the best 45 minutes of preparation I have spent over that last 8 months.

Eyemodule2 Digital Camera Springboard Module for Handspring Visor
Eyemodule2 Digital Camera Springboard Module for Handspring Visor

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a toy - a great product upgrade, May 17, 2001
After seeing samples of the original eyemodule pictures, I was extremely skeptical of their usefulness. But with the eyemodule2, this Handspring module moves from being a interesting toy to a useful business and personal tool. So far I have used the eyemodule2 to take pictures at work (of things like whiteboards and project teams)and at home and am able to send them to friends/family/co-workers right away. The picture quality is very good, once you get the hang of keeping your hand steady. Without a flash, you need to provide a decent amount of light, but I have taken some nice pictures indoors without a tremendous amount of light.
One of the key benefits for me both personally and professionally is convenience. I already take my handspring wherever I go - so it is nice to take along a small attachment (which comes in a very cool small metallic case!) rather than packing a separate camera.
The other benefit is getting the pictures on your PC - since you already have the syncing module established, the download process is fast, easy and very reliable. I have heard from friends that half the battle with digital cameras is the syncing mechanisms and software - the eyemodule2 makes this easy.
Overall this product vastly exceeds my expectations and has replaced my need to purchase a digital camera!

Lime Jello
Lime Jello
Price: $14.00
7 used & new from $3.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air from a promising talent, April 25, 2001
This review is from: Lime Jello (Audio CD)
While not a jazz enthusiast, I have tremendous respect and admiration of the creativity of those who practice this craft. One of the difficulties I have with many jazz recordings is that they lose the vibrancy of the live show and that technical mastery is championed to the point of impenetrability.
What I love about Lime Jello is that it overcomes these obstacles by providing a completely original set of songs that are richly textured and completely down to earth. The title track is the perfect opener - contemporary yet accessible. The rest of the tracks are tunes that are uptempo, solemn, whimsical and urgent - there is a compelling range of emotions here that will grab any listener.
Far from easy listening, George and crew demonstrate their capability without overwhelming the listener. George's rock/pop experiences are not lost in his style; rather, they are combined with his talent to yield a terrific mix. For newcomers to jazz as well as experts, this is a wonderful set of tracks that should not be overlooked.

Speaking with the Angel
Speaking with the Angel
by Nick Hornby
Price: $10.01
262 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stories for a worthy cause, April 18, 2001
As a before-I-go-to-sleep type of reader, I love short story collections. What makes this one so special is that it is for a good cause.
The best stories in here are from Mr. Hornby, Mr. Doyle and Mr. Firth, who gives us a completely new and hilarious use for the word "pants" that continues to make me chuckle. Between his story and his role in "Bridget Jones Diary", Mr. Firth is my new hero.
Anyway, you won't be disappointed by this group of talented writers and there are a number interesting themes (art, growing old, relationships, first sexual encounters, mortality, flat-out humor)and perspectives (Mr. Eggers as a dog, Mr. Firth as an 11 year old, Mr. Hornby as a enormous bouncer, Mr. Doyle as a mid-forties/mid-life crises father) explored that are touching and hilarious. Enjoy.

Page: 1 | 2