Profile for Jon > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jon RSS Feed

1500 Live Ladybugs - Good Bugs - Ladybugs - Guaranteed Live Delivery!
1500 Live Ladybugs - Good Bugs - Ladybugs - Guaranteed Live Delivery!
Offered by Bug Sales
Price: $3.75
4 used & new from $3.75

2.0 out of 5 stars 1/2 dead, didn't help, May 27, 2014
These shipped on a Friday, arrived on a Monday. They were about half dead when they arrived. I didn't count them, but it sure didn't look like there were 1500 in the bag. After releasing them into aphid infested broccoli the ladybugs were all gone the next morning and the aphids seemed untouched. I don't think any of this is really the seller's fault, but this purchase was pretty disappointing. Maybe I'll just go back to buying broccoli.

Fender Jeff Beck Hot Noiseless Loaded Pickguard Parchment / Aged White
Fender Jeff Beck Hot Noiseless Loaded Pickguard Parchment / Aged White
Offered by Music UFO
Price: $194.99
2 used & new from $194.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great set, not all accessories are Aged White though, May 27, 2014
This set sounds really great. This got rid of the annoying 60Hz hum I was getting with single coils while maintaining the strat sound. You can buy all the components to put this together yourself for about the same price but if you're not that good with a soldering iron (or lazy) this is a great option.

My only complaint is that the 5-way selector tip is not aged white as shown in the pic. It's regular white and it looks odd against the parchment and other aged white accessories. This is nitpicking I know, but I was initially pretty annoyed at having to order more parts to make this "complete".

Professional High Quality 3 Piece Filter Set For Canon SLR Cameras That Have A Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens
Offered by Big Mike's Electronics
Price: $9.89
14 used & new from $5.19

1.0 out of 5 stars trash, April 9, 2012
These are pretty much useless. The quality seems ok at first and for some shots they're not bad. However, if you compare shots with and without the filters you'll see a big difference zoomed in. The filtered shots will all be blurry or really soft. If you have decent lenses forget about these filters. Spend a little more and get good filters or don't use them at all. Also, the included hard case is only good if you like cleaning little red fibers off everything all the time.

Zeikos ZE-FLK86 86mm Multi-Coated 3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD)
Zeikos ZE-FLK86 86mm Multi-Coated 3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD)
Offered by Sharp Gear
Price: $8.99
11 used & new from $8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars trash, April 9, 2012

Zeikos ZE-FLK62 62mm Multi-Coated 3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD)
Zeikos ZE-FLK62 62mm Multi-Coated 3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD)
Offered by Modern Home Products

Offered by earlybirdstart
Price: $29.99
9 used & new from $21.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Cool clock, stopped working after 2 weeks, November 5, 2011
This is a pretty neat clock when it works. Waking up to music from your iphone is much nicer than a buzzer.

However, mine lasted less than 2 weeks. The screen went dead overnight. Not dead I guess, but more of a glowing flicker with all of the letters and numbers messed up. It's never been dropped or anything so I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. I would have been more than happy with it if it continued to work.

Fujifilm FinePix HS10 10 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 30x Wide Angle Optical Zoom and 3-Inch LCD
Offered by DavisMAX
Price: $399.99
14 used & new from $138.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great "bridge" camera, July 11, 2010
I've had this camera for about 2 weeks now. I've never owned a DSLR but have used them from time to time. I'm the type of person that really enjoys all the technical aspects and full manual control and this camera fits the bill in that sense. I initially started looking at DSLR's but I enjoy taking photos while hiking, fishing, and at sporting events and so on. I just can't justify carrying around a bag of lenses to get the same range as this camera.

So far I don't have any big complaints and am generally very pleased with the photo quality. Anything above ISO 800 starts to get a bit noisy but it's not a big deal (you can work around it) as long as you're aware of it. The lens is pretty amazing on this camera and I find myself taking pictures of things I never imagined before.

The controls are pretty intuitive and I don't find myself saying "what were they thinking?" when adjusting settings. I've read quite a few reviews complaining about the manual focus ring being useless and hard to reach. Personally, I don't find it a problem but maybe I just have small hands. It's only something you use in the rare case the autofocus doesn't pick up properly anyway. For example, I tried taking some relatively close up pictures of a lit compact fluorescent bulb for fun. The autofocus seems to get confused in this case. The manual focus fixes the problem easily though.

The other odd complaint I see in a lot of reviews is about the AA battery format. AA battery format was one of my requirements for a camera. I just don't see why I'd want to deal with expensive proprietary Li-ion battery formats when AA Ni-MH gives more than acceptable performance for a fraction of the price. And they're available everywhere. It seems like a no-brainer to me.

There are a couple of things to be aware of that sort of surprised me. That's maybe my fault for not researching a little deeper. The impressive burst mode (10fps) is a bit cumbersome to get to and actual continuous fps is pretty slow. I guess I was imagining just being able to take 7 shots rapidly without having to activate the mode. My other complaint is about the RAW software. The ability to shoot in RAW is great but the supplied Silkypix software seems like it's halfway between full and trial versions. It supposedly has the ability to fix chromatic aberrations but this feature seems to be permanently grayed out (among others). I realize the idea is to get me to buy the full version but I'll likely just deal with jpeg out of lazy protest.

PROS:
-24-720mm (35mm equiv.) lens. And it's fantastic.
-Manual barrel twist zoom.
-Completely adjustable and manual if you want it to be. Sensible and practical auto and scene settings too.
-Tons of neat software tricks and modes. Panoramic images, motion remover, low light modes, 1000fps video, etc. Some of them are a bit gimmicky but still fun.
-AA battery format (some would disagree).
-Great quality photos with a little practice.
-Full HD video if you're into that.
-RAW image format.
-Threaded 58mm lens takes standard lens hoods, filters, etc.

CONS:
-Limited Silkypix RAW software.
-High burst rate not as useful as it sounds on paper.
-Slow continuous shooting speed.
-LCD screen resolution is a bit low, but it tilts so it sort of cancels out right?
-Auto switch between viewfinder and LCD is sort of irritating sometimes. I would recommend turning this feature off.
-There is no printed manual included except for a useless "getting started" type deal. You have to get the pdf from the website or the software disc. Why go cheap on the manual for such an expensive product?

SUMMARY:
As close as you're going to get (for now) to a telephoto DSLR without carrying around a bunch of lenses. The lens is really impressive. I am extremely pleased with the purchase.