Profile for Renato Prata De Frasson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 27

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Renato Prata De Frasson RSS Feed (Iowa City, IA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Apple iPhone 3GS Stylish Faux Leather Flip Case (Black)
Apple iPhone 3GS Stylish Faux Leather Flip Case (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but does the job well, April 8, 2010
I own this case for about 3 months. I keep my phone in my pants pocket most of the time and the case is still ok.

The cover has magnets to keep it closed, what is an advance compared to Velcro as it does not stick to dust, strings or anything that it touches and still holds the flip cover closed.

The case looks good, it is very light and reasonably thin. My problem with it is how not durable it seams to be. Pieces of "leather" keep shedding from its bottom if I keep peeling it, the case will fall apart soon. Another issue is how loose the phone is inside the case. If the case is closed the phone is ok and will not fall, the magnets keep it well shut, however if the case is open it can easily slide out of the case. It never happened though as I usually don't have the phone upside down while the case is open, but I see a potential for disaster there.

Pros:
- This case is cheap and does the job of protecting my phone well. Already dropped the phone couple of times and nothing happened.
- Magnet holds the cover closed pretty well.
- It is thin and light.
- I haven't felt any problem with sensors been blocked and having iphone screen stuck or too dark as I read in other reviews.
- Provides shade making the screen readable under sunlight.

Cons:
- Camera is covered. When I want to take a picture I must remove phone from case.
- Feels cheap and not durable. I doubt it will last till the end of the year, but the price was only [...] bucks anyway.
- Phone is very loose in the case, if the lid is closed it is fine the phone will not go anywhere, but if it is open it might fall.
- The flip has no pocket. I really wish I had a little pocket in the back of the flip as a guy who takes the bus with me has. It would be cool to be able to put my bus pass in there. But that's not a major issue.

Conclusion, I might buy an identical case when this one is gone. Belkin has a similar case for 19.99 that looks better built, but it has velcro closure and costs more, so I think I would stick to my current one.

Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto IV
Price: $18.20
64 used & new from $5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars great game so far., December 30, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (DVD-ROM)
I love this game. Graphics are the best I've seen, gameplay is great and history is interesting.
Installing it took some time and going through creating all accounts in all required services took some time, attention and patience but it worked in the first atempt.

I'm running Windows 7 64bits in a quad core machine with 6 gigs of ram and a good, new graphic card. My windows experience scores are 7.4 for all but harddrive which is a 5.9.
My machine handles all the details in high/highest, the only things that are not in the max are the rendering distance and so on. Game looks great, fps is always high.

Pros:
-It looks great. Buildings are beautiful, scenery looks like taken from a movie. Water very well done and so on.
-Driving is great. Each car has its own inertia, acceleration, braking, handling. Very realistic, not very "arcade".
-History is cool.

Cons:
-Controls require a little get used to;
-Character walks very slowly compared to other games, driving is realistic, not like SA where you could drive quickly from LS to LV.
-Requires a powerful machine!
-Creating all accounts took some time, but I actually like the Multiplayer capabilities.

The cons I listed do not bother me. I actually like the realistic driving, but since it might bother some, I listed there as a potential con.

I do not care for all drm securom talk. If my pc starts misbehaving, I format and reinstall my software. Takes no more than couple of hours for me.

Good gaming =)

Corsair CMG6GX3M3A1600C7 Dominator GT 6 GB 3 x 2 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 Core i7 and Core i5 Memory Kit
Offered by luanvy
Price: $299.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great memory sticks!!! got a 7.8 rating by windows 7, November 16, 2009
This kit is great. It comes with 3 sticks of 2 GB each and the fan (which might not be really needed...) and screws for the installation of the fan.
I bought this for my first built, along with a corsair PSU. The setup is not really hard, you set the frequency, the latencies and you are good to go. The reason for the bad rating follows.

The good:
High frequency, low latency, well built, nice heat sinks, lifetime warranty, great consumer support by corsair. My current config is 1600MHz, 7-7-7-20-T1 @ 1.65v.

The not so good:
No instructions, not a single sheet with specs, which in my opinion is unbelievable. How much costs a single sheet with stock configurations?? 5 cents?? Most of other kits have their specs in the corsair website, but as of 14 November 2009, this one has none...

I posted my question in their forum and got an answer within a few hours. I was very impressed with the precision of their answer and the speed, for this reason, consumer support + helpful community, I feel obliged to keep the overall in 5 stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2010 6:04 AM PDT

Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply compatible with   Core i7 and Core i5
Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply compatible with Core i7 and Core i5

5.0 out of 5 stars Well built power supply, November 16, 2009
I bought this power supply for my first built PC, it is up and running for couple of weeks now, so keep in mind that these are my impressions.

Package: Well done, product came protected.

Parts: Came with everything one needs to install the PSU. Screws, cable holders for cable management and so on. Conectors are compatible with both SATA drives as well as the old fashined 4 pin conectors. Same for the GPU and for the MoBo conectors.

Built quality: Solid. The cables have an external protection that prevents any cuts to their insulation, conectors are not built from cheap flimsy plastic, the fan is very quiet. The power supply is heavy, which may be a drawback if one wants to install it in the upper section of the pc case.

The unit runs without any hums eventhough I had my pc running with the side pannel open while I was making sure I had everything in the correct place. This PSU was probably an overkill for my machine (so far a single Gforce 285 GPU with a single 7500 rpm harddrive and an intel i7 processor) so I wasn't expecting humming anyway.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Same stick, better price also by Amazon.., June 17, 2009
[...]

Just repeating the review I posted on the other X52 Pro:

I bought this joystick for a friend in Brazil in dec of 2006. He plays frequently and never had a problem.
It was love at first sight. I didn't want to give him the first unit and I couldn't buy myself one at that time, however I finally bought mine.
Installation in Windows XP was easy and painless.

Didn't have a single problem, I downloaded the newest driver and programing software from Saitek (I didn't use the CD). Installed them, plugged the Joystick and all worked.

I think that the customizable lights (thee options) in each button are very neat. I have mine to play falcon AF, which has lots of different functions and the different colors help me remember the functions of the buttons.

PROS:
-very customizable
-feels like well built
-a friend has used it for a long time and never had problems. I have mine for 2 weekends and no problem whatsoever.
-has a 2 year warranty

CONS:
-Didn't find any so far. I will update this with time.

The Chicago Manual of Style
The Chicago Manual of Style
by University of Chicago Press Staff
262 used & new from $0.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for grad students, June 1, 2009
I'm an engineering grad student who still struggles with writing, specially punctuation and prepositions.
Although the preposition section is limited, I found all the information that I always wanted to have regarding punctuation.
English is not my mother language, and I recognize that I need help to improve my writing style, so far this book is a great help.

Pros:
-Information is provided in very compact and easy to understand way;
-All one needs to know about referencing styles;
-Well done index, makes the search for information straightforward
-Not expensive, but still well built book;

Cons:
-I don't have many complains whatsoever, but it would be useful to provide templates for the most commonly used word processing programs, although for the current price, I don't think that one should expect that.

Saitek X52 Pro Flight System Controller
Saitek X52 Pro Flight System Controller
Price: $164.56
49 used & new from $130.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HOTAS system, May 11, 2009
Installation in Windows XP was easy and painless.

PROS:
-very customizable
-feels like well built
-has a 2 year warranty

CONS:
-Didn't find any so far. I will update this with time.

Falcon 4.0: Allied Force - PC
Falcon 4.0: Allied Force - PC
Offered by BLS Mart
Price: $29.99
19 used & new from $11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a great simulator even in 2009, May 11, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is still great even after so many years.

I first tried this game in may the 1st. I spent the weekend reading about navigation, instrumentation and learning how to use my Saitek X52 Pro system. In the first weekend I passed through all the first 10 trainings (out of 30) and I must say that it is a lot of work!

In my second weekend I read about Instrument landing, A-A radar, how to lock targets and the AIM-9 and AIM-120 AA missiles. Again lots of work, but every time I successfully finish a training I feel very rewarded!
This SIM makes me feel inside the Viper and I feel like I'm learning a lot.

Pros:
-Extremely realistic
-Still ok graphics (lead has a Hi-def, 2 GB file for sale. I can't wait to get it)
-Smart AI (too smart sometimes)
-Very well programed game, runs super smoothly in my pc. I alternate between manual (the 712 pages long) quickly and without bugs or crashes.

Cons:
-Extremely realistic (some users want more arcade-like games)
-Graphics a little dated, but I don't care

if you use klmcodec to watch movies, the opening video will not work and the game will freeze. it is super simple to fix, you just tell the codec package to ignore the game all will be good.

I will update this with time. Hope you enjoy!

Update 12 June 2009:
-I'm playing this game for a while now and most of the controls (and there are many) feel intuitive. A good joystick like the Saitek X52 pro helps a lot, specially with radar operation.
I found out that the missions I like most are the ones that make use of A-G guided missiles, such as Maveriks and HARM. The tecnology involved in such aplications just amazes me, but I'm an enthusiastic of radar tecnologies, which is somehow related to my field of study/work.

Dell PA-13 130 Watt AC Charger Adapter for Inspiron and XPS M Notebooks
Dell PA-13 130 Watt AC Charger Adapter for Inspiron and XPS M Notebooks
Offered by Star_Power
Price: $45.99
2 used & new from $45.99

4.0 out of 5 stars works as it should, April 28, 2009
I bought an adapter to substitute my XPS M170's original one.
The system boots ok, which does not happen with all adapters out there.
The cords is short, but it doesn't bother me.
The reason why I deducted one star is a little humming when my system is running at full steam (playing game and with 4 USB powered devices plugged in)

Maxtor E01G300 OneTouch II 300 GB External Hard Drive
Maxtor E01G300 OneTouch II 300 GB External Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, April 23, 2009
I own mine since early 2006 and I never had problems.
I used my unit extensively as a regular hard drive. As my laptop has a tiny internal hard drive, I installed games on the maxtor onetouch II and run from it for a good time. I use the vertical stand and never noticed any excessive heat.
For couple of months I also used it on the field, sitting on the back of my truck connected to a power inverter in a very dusty, hot envinronment (a corn field in Iowa over the summer) to store data from my experiments. The unit never let me down.

Summarizing:
Pros:
-Fast unit (for its time)
-Still cheap
-was able to stand very unusual and harsh environments
-worked fast enough to run games from it (Neverwinter nights 2)
-has an on-off switch in the back, so I don't necessarily need to unplug the powercord when I want it off.

Cons:
-People might complain about the external power. This is not a super portable drive, it is an external HD and was not designed to compete with the WD passport things.
-A bit noisy, but I don't care. When I play I wear headphones.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3