Profile for Shawn Kovacich > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 438

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shawn Kovacich "Shawn Kovacich" RSS Feed (The Greatest Little City in the World)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Wilton Tool  10010  All-Terrain Vise Hitch2Bench
Wilton Tool 10010 All-Terrain Vise Hitch2Bench
Price: $198.00
25 used & new from $194.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, versatile vise for on the go or in the garage or workshop., August 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very durable vice. It weights about 40 pounds and is made to last. It is designed to be used with a trailer hitch or it comes with the mounting bracket so you can use it on a bench or table. The vise is supposed to work with a 2 inch hitch but I don't have one to try it with. I can't really say how the vise works this way.

Now, after securing it to the garage counter, the vise worked great. It was easy to tighten and loosen the handle. It also stayed secured. There was no worries about if the vise was going to loosed while working with it.

The vise has a nice finish but it doesn't look as durable as the vise. If it is going into a garage I think you should be fine but if you are going to be taking it outside you may want to consider coating it in something so it doesn't rush from a chip in the current finish.

This is a good, heavy duty vise. I really like it and think that it would be a good addition to anyone's garage or tool box.

Contigo West Loop Tea Infuser Accessory, Greyed Jade
Contigo West Loop Tea Infuser Accessory, Greyed Jade
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great way to make tea with less hassle, August 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like this tea infuser. It has a sturdy plastic top that fits securely in the Contigo bottle. The basket is a mesh that prevents almost all of the leaves from getting into the brew. The super fine power will sneak through but that something that happens when drinking tea. But the best part is the drip cup. It covers the mesh and keeps water/tea from leaking out after I have brewed my tea. I also like using it to store my new brewing leaves instead of dragging around the tin just to have a cup of tea at work. And being dishwasher safe makes keeping it clean a breeze.

The only thing that I could come up with as a downside is that it was a little difficult getting all of the leaves out of the mesh basket. Mind you I just started using this so it could be operator error.

This is a great way to make fresh tea. I definitely recommend getting both the Contigo Auto Seal West Loop Travel Mug and this Infuser.

Cascade Platinum Actionpacs, Fresh Scent, 65 Count
Cascade Platinum Actionpacs, Fresh Scent, 65 Count
Price: $18.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Dishwasher Soap - This is a must for any kitchen!!, August 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So the first thing I liked was the packets. I all ready use the Tide packets in my laundry and figured I would give them a try in the dishwasher. It’s so easy to use, just drop it in the pocket and close. What could be easier?

I typically use liquid Cascade and prefer this brand so there was no worry about that. I was just hesitant because there is such a small amount of soap compared to what I normally use. No worries, this soap cleaned my dishes better than before and my dishwasher looked cleaner inside.

The only thing that I can say was a draw back was the fragrance is a bit powerful. I personally didn’t mind it and got used to it quickly but some people that are sensitive to these things may be bothered by it.

I don’t think that 64 washes for $19 is a bad price. That’s about what I pay for my Tide pockets and I think the ease of having everything in the packet instead of four different bottles taking up space below my kitchen sink is worth it. This is one thing that you need for your kitchen.

Author and Creator of numerous books and DVD's.

Philips SHB7150FB/27 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones with Microphone (Black)
Philips SHB7150FB/27 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones with Microphone (Black)
Price: $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Headphones for the Price, August 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like the over the ear design of these headphones. I have issues with ear buds and it’s difficult to find a good comfortable pair of headphones for a reasonable price. It was easy to adjust them and they didn’t provide too much pressure and are lightweight which usually leads to headaches for me.

Pairing to my phone was very easy. I liked the sound quality, clear music without the overwhelming bass. I received a phone call and had no problem hearing the caller but they had some issues hearing me clearly. I would not recommend using this outside.

I really like that you can use this with or without the cord. The battery also lasts a long time. The controls are on the right ear piece and are simple to use. There was a good range for the wireless connection and I could control the songs or skip ahead if I needed to without being by the phone.

The only thing I could count as a negative is that they do not completely cancel out sound. They also don’t completely keep what you are listening to quiet to other people. If you are going to blast your music just keep in mind that others will hear it.

These are some good quality headphone for an average price. If you are looking for a good basic pair of headphone you should check these ones out.

Krav Maga: Use Your Body as a Weapon
Krav Maga: Use Your Body as a Weapon
by Boaz Aviram
Price: $14.19
36 used & new from $12.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A Much Needed Organizational Update On the Original Manuscript, July 26, 2014
IMPORTANT NOTICE

Since this book is really just an updated and much better edited and organized edition of the original manuscript, I am including most of my original review of the first manuscript as it is still relevant to this edition. However, I would like to emphatically state that this edition is a much needed update on the original that was in dire need of editing and a much more concise and organized layout of text and photographs, which this edition does splendidly and really takes it to a whole other level with the addition of color photographs.

DISCLAIMER

Well I guess I should start off this review by first informing you, the reader of this review, that I proudly hold the coveted distinction of being the very first Krav Maga instructor personally certified by Boaz Aviram, the author of this book and the producer of his seven disc DVD series. That not withstanding, I assure you that my being one of his students holds no bearing whatsoever on my review, as a matter of fact, I am probably more critical of it than I would be if I did not hold this position. So with that being said, on with the review.

REVIEW

The main criteria that I judge a technique based book upon is the quality and quantity of information that is provided and how relevant it is in relation to the subject matter it is purporting to be providing. In other words if a book is telling me it is the next best thing to sliced bread concerning Krav Maga, then it darn well better deliver upon its promise. And in this particular instance, it does just that.

Boaz provides a wealth of information concerning the principles and philosophy of Krav Maga as taught to the IDF (Israeli Defense Force) soldiers in a curriculum designed to teach them how to effectively use Krav Maga on the battlefield in as little as 21 hours of instruction with some soldiers receiving an additional 8 to 12 hours of instruction depending upon their individual units needs. Now of course this material must be practiced correctly and as many times as it takes before becoming instinctive in nature in order for it to reach its true potential in both effectiveness and efficiency. It is plainly obvious that the person that practices the techniques correctly for say two weeks is not going to be anywhere near as good as the individual that has practiced for years.

I have always believed and often stated that the principles and concepts behind a technique are far more important than the technique itself and that is something that you will find throughout this entire book, although you will find an abundance of technique never forget that which is more important. This is something that even the great military genius Sun Tzu expounds upon in his famous writing, The Art of War, which follows this very same philosophy of principles and concepts being of more importance than actual techniques.

This book contains a lot of information on a wide array of topics from basic striking and kicking, to defenses against a variety of attacks ranging from unarmed attacks, to chokes and holds, knife and gun attacks, and pretty much everything in between. This book should also be used in conjunction with Boaz's DVD set entitled, Pure Krav Maga - Self Defense Mastery, which is also available here on Amazon.

Now do I agree with absolutely everything in this book? Of course not! And those things that I don't agree with are more of a technique based issue and not the more important issue pertaining to the various principles and concepts. An earlier book that is I believe one of the first to showcase Krav Maga and one that the author also appeared in is called, Fighting Fit.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in learning Krav Maga as it was, and I presume still is, taught to the IDF in Israel.

Martial Artist/Krav Maga Instructor
Author and Creator of numerous books and DVD's.

Samsung Electronics 64GB PRO SDXC Upto 90MB/s Class 10 Memory Card (MB-SG64D/AM)
Price: $59.99
16 used & new from $48.57

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is A Great Memory Card, July 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first thing I noticed with this card was how durable it is. The card is waterproof up to 24 hours, shock proof, magnet proof, extreme temperature proof, and x-ray proof. That in itself makes this the card for me, especially the water proof.

From there, the card is very fast both writing too and reading from. I didn’t realize how slow my memory cards were until I started using this card. It’s so easy to use and I get great quality videos and pictures with no delays.

I also like how similar cards are more expensive than this memory. How can you pass that up? This is a great card and I will be buying more memory cards from Samsung from now on.

Samsung SL-M2070FW/XAA Wireless Monochrome Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax
Samsung SL-M2070FW/XAA Wireless Monochrome Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax
Offered by Stop n' Shop
Price: $139.95
41 used & new from $118.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great All-In-One Printer, But ..., June 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one of the best multi function printers that I have had to use. Setup was really easy. I had to plug it into the computer first bust after that I worked wirelessly easily. It was also easy to setup on my phone and tablet.

This is only a black and white printer, but for me printing out forms for my business, it works great. But one thing I don’t like is there is no double sided printing. Several of my forms are double sided so that just means a little extra effort but nothing major. Also, the toner should last for about 1,000 pages and costs about $50-60 to replace.

I don’t have my printer set up to fax so I can’t say how that works. But the scanning feature is spot on. It’s so easy to use and makes filing contracts to much easier. I also like the copy feature. You can adjust the copies just like a larger machine. And being able to accommodate both letter and legal sized documents is very handy.

I can see this printer being very useful for students or small businesses like mine. Having many devices that can access it makes it so helpful for different project or users. The cost of toner and no double sided printing are the only two things that I can find as a flaw.

Author and Creator of numerous books and DVD's.

Lenovo IdeaPad 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop, Black (59406579)
Lenovo IdeaPad 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop, Black (59406579)
Offered by Tech99
Price: $719.99
8 used & new from $489.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Computer For The Price, But NO Battery Life, June 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a pretty basic computer. It’s relatively inexpensive and has most of the basic features you expect to get with a laptop. The first I can into was after you go through the initial setup you get with any computer; there is no Windows 8.1 on the computer. You will have to go through a long setup to get this installed on the computer. After that, there is a ton of software that is on the computer that needs to be cleaned up, another thing that is common with new computers.

Beyond that, the computer is 15.6 inches and has the standard keyboard, numeric keypad, touch pad with left and right click buttons, along with the touch screen. The touch screen responds quickly and smoothly. The touch pad is the same but I admit that I prefer a mouse. The one thing I don’t like is the numeric keypad is small. I’m used to a larger keypad so I simply plugged in a mouse and regular keyboard. Problem solved.

The only downside to this computer is that there is no battery life. Depending on how you use the computer you have 2 ˝ to 5 hours of battery life. If you plan on taking this computer on the road you better have access to a plug in or plan not to use it for long.

Over all I do think this is a good computer for the price. I feel that there are some things that could be improved upon but it still works great.

FUEGO FELG21C Element Gas Grill Carbon Steel
FUEGO FELG21C Element Gas Grill Carbon Steel
Price: $299.00
3 used & new from $279.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Small, But Still A Great Grill, May 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like the design of this grill, very compact yet still heavy duty. The assembly took about 30 minutes and I had to hunt around for a 16 mm wrench. The one they send with the grill was a pain in the hand. Anyway, the grill went together quickly. I turned it on and saw that it got hot very fast. There is two ways to cook on the grill, single burner or double. With a 21 inch grilling surface that means that I’m always going to be using the double burner since I load up my grill.

The design is compact and efficient, but I have to say that I would prefer a little shelf on the edge of the grill instead of having to keep a table by it. Also, the 21 inch grill is nice cast iron and leaves beautiful grill marks, the space can be a little small when cooking several steaks, skewers, veggies, etc.

Over all I think this is a nice little grill and a great value. There really are no major flaws that come to mind. This is definitely a grill that you want to get for smaller spaces and for a clean look.

Firearms: An Illustrated History
Firearms: An Illustrated History
by DK Publishing
Price: $29.86
44 used & new from $13.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative Book, May 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great compilation of all the guns of history. Starting from when gun powder was made to present day guns. There are beautiful drawing and pictures relating to most of the guns in history along with a short blurb on each. I loved how the book goes into the finer details of the mechanics of some of the guns.

This is a bit of heavy reading with the hardback binding. But that just makes this the perfect coffee table book. This would be a great book for collectors or anyone that likes guns. Even just the history of guns through the years is valuable.

If you are looking for a great overall history of guns, this is the book for you.

NRA Firearms Instructor