Profile for Shawn Kovacich > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 434

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shawn Kovacich "Shawn Kovacich" RSS Feed (The Greatest Little City in the World)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Krav Maga: Use Your Body as a Weapon
Krav Maga: Use Your Body as a Weapon
by Boaz Aviram
Price: $14.65
39 used & new from $12.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A Much Needed Organizational Update On the Original Manuscript, July 26, 2014
IMPORTANT NOTICE

Since this book is really just an updated and much better edited and organized edition of the original manuscript, I am including most of my original review of the first manuscript as it is still relevant to this edition. However, I would like to emphatically state that this edition is a much needed update on the original that was in dire need of editing and a much more concise and organized layout of text and photographs, which this edition does splendidly and really takes it to a whole other level with the addition of color photographs.

DISCLAIMER

Well I guess I should start off this review by first informing you, the reader of this review, that I proudly hold the coveted distinction of being the very first Krav Maga instructor personally certified by Boaz Aviram, the author of this book and the producer of his seven disc DVD series. That not withstanding, I assure you that my being one of his students holds no bearing whatsoever on my review, as a matter of fact, I am probably more critical of it than I would be if I did not hold this position. So with that being said, on with the review.

REVIEW

The main criteria that I judge a technique based book upon is the quality and quantity of information that is provided and how relevant it is in relation to the subject matter it is purporting to be providing. In other words if a book is telling me it is the next best thing to sliced bread concerning Krav Maga, then it darn well better deliver upon its promise. And in this particular instance, it does just that.

Boaz provides a wealth of information concerning the principles and philosophy of Krav Maga as taught to the IDF (Israeli Defense Force) soldiers in a curriculum designed to teach them how to effectively use Krav Maga on the battlefield in as little as 21 hours of instruction with some soldiers receiving an additional 8 to 12 hours of instruction depending upon their individual units needs. Now of course this material must be practiced correctly and as many times as it takes before becoming instinctive in nature in order for it to reach its true potential in both effectiveness and efficiency. It is plainly obvious that the person that practices the techniques correctly for say two weeks is not going to be anywhere near as good as the individual that has practiced for years.

I have always believed and often stated that the principles and concepts behind a technique are far more important than the technique itself and that is something that you will find throughout this entire book, although you will find an abundance of technique never forget that which is more important. This is something that even the great military genius Sun Tzu expounds upon in his famous writing, The Art of War, which follows this very same philosophy of principles and concepts being of more importance than actual techniques.

This book contains a lot of information on a wide array of topics from basic striking and kicking, to defenses against a variety of attacks ranging from unarmed attacks, to chokes and holds, knife and gun attacks, and pretty much everything in between. This book should also be used in conjunction with Boaz's DVD set entitled, Pure Krav Maga - Self Defense Mastery, which is also available here on Amazon.

Now do I agree with absolutely everything in this book? Of course not! And those things that I don't agree with are more of a technique based issue and not the more important issue pertaining to the various principles and concepts. An earlier book that is I believe one of the first to showcase Krav Maga and one that the author also appeared in is called, Fighting Fit.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in learning Krav Maga as it was, and I presume still is, taught to the IDF in Israel.

Martial Artist/Krav Maga Instructor
Author and Creator of numerous books and DVD's.

Samsung Electronics 64GB PRO SDXC Upto 90MB/s Class 10 Memory Card (MB-SG64D/AM)
Price: $59.29
11 used & new from $54.43

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is A Great Memory Card, July 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first thing I noticed with this card was how durable it is. The card is waterproof up to 24 hours, shock proof, magnet proof, extreme temperature proof, and x-ray proof. That in itself makes this the card for me, especially the water proof.

From there, the card is very fast both writing too and reading from. I didn’t realize how slow my memory cards were until I started using this card. It’s so easy to use and I get great quality videos and pictures with no delays.

I also like how similar cards are more expensive than this memory. How can you pass that up? This is a great card and I will be buying more memory cards from Samsung from now on.

Samsung SL-M2070FW/XAA Wireless Monochrome Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax
Samsung SL-M2070FW/XAA Wireless Monochrome Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax
Offered by Pages Store
Price: $134.99
22 used & new from $119.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great All-In-One Printer, But ..., June 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one of the best multi function printers that I have had to use. Setup was really easy. I had to plug it into the computer first bust after that I worked wirelessly easily. It was also easy to setup on my phone and tablet.

This is only a black and white printer, but for me printing out forms for my business, it works great. But one thing I don’t like is there is no double sided printing. Several of my forms are double sided so that just means a little extra effort but nothing major. Also, the toner should last for about 1,000 pages and costs about $50-60 to replace.

I don’t have my printer set up to fax so I can’t say how that works. But the scanning feature is spot on. It’s so easy to use and makes filing contracts to much easier. I also like the copy feature. You can adjust the copies just like a larger machine. And being able to accommodate both letter and legal sized documents is very handy.

I can see this printer being very useful for students or small businesses like mine. Having many devices that can access it makes it so helpful for different project or users. The cost of toner and no double sided printing are the only two things that I can find as a flaw.

Author and Creator of numerous books and DVD's.

Lenovo IdeaPad 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop, Black (59406579)
Lenovo IdeaPad 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop, Black (59406579)
Price: $529.99
8 used & new from $529.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Computer For The Price, But NO Battery Life, June 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a pretty basic computer. It’s relatively inexpensive and has most of the basic features you expect to get with a laptop. The first I can into was after you go through the initial setup you get with any computer; there is no Windows 8.1 on the computer. You will have to go through a long setup to get this installed on the computer. After that, there is a ton of software that is on the computer that needs to be cleaned up, another thing that is common with new computers.

Beyond that, the computer is 15.6 inches and has the standard keyboard, numeric keypad, touch pad with left and right click buttons, along with the touch screen. The touch screen responds quickly and smoothly. The touch pad is the same but I admit that I prefer a mouse. The one thing I don’t like is the numeric keypad is small. I’m used to a larger keypad so I simply plugged in a mouse and regular keyboard. Problem solved.

The only downside to this computer is that there is no battery life. Depending on how you use the computer you have 2 ˝ to 5 hours of battery life. If you plan on taking this computer on the road you better have access to a plug in or plan not to use it for long.

Over all I do think this is a good computer for the price. I feel that there are some things that could be improved upon but it still works great.

FUEGO FELG21C Element Gas Grill Carbon Steel
FUEGO FELG21C Element Gas Grill Carbon Steel
Price: $299.00
3 used & new from $266.41

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Small, But Still A Great Grill, May 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like the design of this grill, very compact yet still heavy duty. The assembly took about 30 minutes and I had to hunt around for a 16 mm wrench. The one they send with the grill was a pain in the hand. Anyway, the grill went together quickly. I turned it on and saw that it got hot very fast. There is two ways to cook on the grill, single burner or double. With a 21 inch grilling surface that means that I’m always going to be using the double burner since I load up my grill.

The design is compact and efficient, but I have to say that I would prefer a little shelf on the edge of the grill instead of having to keep a table by it. Also, the 21 inch grill is nice cast iron and leaves beautiful grill marks, the space can be a little small when cooking several steaks, skewers, veggies, etc.

Over all I think this is a nice little grill and a great value. There really are no major flaws that come to mind. This is definitely a grill that you want to get for smaller spaces and for a clean look.

Firearms: An Illustrated History
Firearms: An Illustrated History
by DK Publishing
Price: $29.87
52 used & new from $17.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative Book, May 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great compilation of all the guns of history. Starting from when gun powder was made to present day guns. There are beautiful drawing and pictures relating to most of the guns in history along with a short blurb on each. I loved how the book goes into the finer details of the mechanics of some of the guns.

This is a bit of heavy reading with the hardback binding. But that just makes this the perfect coffee table book. This would be a great book for collectors or anyone that likes guns. Even just the history of guns through the years is valuable.

If you are looking for a great overall history of guns, this is the book for you.

NRA Firearms Instructor

Monster DNA Pro Over-Ear Headphones
Monster DNA Pro Over-Ear Headphones
Price: $279.99
4 used & new from $180.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Clarity of Sound and Very Comfortable Even for Extended Wearing, March 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Other that BOSE headphones, which by the way are very expensive but well worth the price, these Monster Headphones are without a doubt the best headphones you can buy for the price! They are very comfortable to wear, even for extended use which for me so far has been about six hours. And although they don't cancel out the background noise as well as BOSE headphones, they do a very good job overall.

I could only hear outside sounds when the music that I was listening to was either not playing at all, or during a particularly quite portion of the song. Now having said that, the other extenuating factor in this was the level of volume of the outside originating noise, which in this case was the girlfriend and the television. Neither of which I could hear at normal levels until one of the outside noise originating subjects in question, the non-electronic one, decided to raise her voice up considerably in order to draw my attention to something irrelevant. So keeping that in mind, they really worked quite well.

You can adjust them to fit your own melon, obviously, and as long as you have a normally shaped head and no previous injuries, I think that these headphones should pretty much fit comfortably on most peoples heads without any undo discomfort. I would advise you to first get them adjusted properly before using them for any period of time in order to minimize the potential for discomfort.

Highly recommended!

Coast FX352 Frame Lock Folding Knife 3.5-Inch Blade
Coast FX352 Frame Lock Folding Knife 3.5-Inch Blade
Price: $29.64
4 used & new from $24.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Great All-Purpose General Use Pocket Knife, March 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I found this to be a very good knife at a really reasonable price. Especially since most knives found around this price range to be very cheaply made at best and generally more dangerous to the knife user than whatever the knife is being used for. However, this is surprisingly not the case with this knife.

First of all it is very securely constructed out of very good material and has a nice weight and feel to it. The clip used to secure it to your pants or other garments is very sturdy and the one feature I am really impressed with is that it conceals the knife itself entirely behind the clip. On some knives part of the handle is exposed above the clip. Not so in this case. The entire handle of the knife is concealed from view behind whatever material or item it is clipped to. A definite plus!

The locking mechanism is very well made and does not wobble of have any play in it when locked in the open position. The locking mechanism itself is made out of one side of the handle which I thought was a rather unique feature. I haven't had any issues with it as such, so it seems to be a very effective design feature and does not hinder the handling of the knife in any way.

One side of the handle, the clip side, is smooth finished metal, while the other side has a textured rubber type coating on it. At first I thought this was a bit odd, but after using this knife for awhile it doesn't really seem to make any difference.

The blade itself is a no frills blade meaning that there aren't any serrated edges, etc. Just a simple sturdy blade with a relatively sharp edge. You will need to sharpen this knife in order to get it razor sharp! It does have a thumb stud on each side of the blade for easy one-handed opening and does in fact open easily one-handed.

I really like quality knives and do not usually carry any knife that doesn't cost me a bit of money. However, this is one knife that I would not have a problem carrying even though I usually spend three times the price at a minimum for a good folding knife.

I highly recommend this knife for an all-purpose general use pocket knife.

Nero 2014 Platinum
Nero 2014 Platinum
Offered by Cart4deals
Price: $62.99
29 used & new from $53.99

2.0 out of 5 stars If You Have NEVER Used A Previous Version of Nero This Product Is Great. However, If You Have Don't Use This One!, January 16, 2014
This review is from: Nero 2014 Platinum (CD-ROM)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As I stated in the title of this review, if you have never used a previous version of the Nero software on your computer this is a great product. However, if you have used a previous version I strongly recommend NOT USING this version as you are going to have absolutely no ability whatsoever to use any of the old files created with any of the previous versions of Nero. Why did the company do this? Are they trying to lose customers?

I love everything that this program offers and the relative ease of installation, but I simply can't recommend it due to the very poor customer service from the company and the inability of previous Nero users to be able to access older files created with previous versions of Nero.

My recommendation is to stay as far away from this software as possible.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2014 1:58 AM PST

Star Wars: Maul - Lockdown (Star Wars - Legends)
Star Wars: Maul - Lockdown (Star Wars - Legends)
by Joe Schreiber
Price: $19.41
67 used & new from $13.77

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Addition To the Star Wars Universe, January 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The basic concept of this book is Darth Sidious needs a weapons dealer that is in prison. Maul is given the task to track him down. This prison is rather brutal with gladiatorial matches between the different inmates for entertainment. These fights and others keep Maul rather busy while searching for Iram Radique.

One of the bad things about this book is that a lot of the book is just Maul’s different fights with inmates. These are really well done and rather gruesome, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but a lot of younger readers might not find them as enjoyable as I did. I was really attracted to the story because its focus was supposed to be about Maul. I really liked him as a character and wanted to learn more about him. And although you do get to be part of his inner dialogue as he questions his abilities, you really don't learn much more than that. I would have liked to learn a lot more about his past.

I was left a bit disappointed in this story. It felt like the ending was rushed and never fully explained. Was there really a point to Maul finding this weapons dealer? How does it fit into Darth Sidious’ plans? The book really didn't seem to flow as well as it could have.

Overall, I do think it’s a great addition to the Star Wars series. It is a good story and I do think most Star Wars fans will love it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20