Profile for Shawn Kovacich > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 638

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shawn Kovacich "Shawn Kovacich" RSS Feed (The Greatest Little City in the World)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
URBAN ARMOR GEAR Microsoft Surface 3 Composite Case, Black
URBAN ARMOR GEAR Microsoft Surface 3 Composite Case, Black
Price: $66.22

4.0 out of 5 stars It Will Actually Grow On You, June 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My first impression of this "protective case" was not good at all. It appeared to be very flimsy and also made of plastic so I was not impressed to say the least. However, after I had actually got it installed on the computer, I ended up with an entirely different opinion on this item. It actually does work and provides a very good degree of protection. I was genuinely surprised! When I first pit it on the computer I was really careful because I could just see me breaking something on this protective case trying to put it on my computer in order to protect it. Well, I didn't break anything and the case has been in use for the past several days and I haven't any complaints. Although admittedly I haven't done the airport baggage handlers test on it yet, and I don't intend to unless of course somebody else wants to donate their computer for the test.

Author and Creator of numerous books and DVD's.

XSories XStrap 60 Releasable Zip-Tie Camera Mount for GoPro and Action Sports Cameras (Black/Orange)
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Okay and Works Fine, June 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This item is actually quite simply made and works as it is intended as far as I am concerned. It isn't really anything fancy, but it is functional and practical and does what it is supposed to do, and that is mount your GoPro camera to pretty much anything with any shape. I tried this out on round objects, pipes, wooden picket fence, door knobs, etc., and pretty much anything else I could think of and it worked quite well for the most part. I did have a couple of small issues with some of the more obscure items I tried to mount this to, but other than that I had no problems.

The Skull Throne: Book Four of The Demon Cycle
The Skull Throne: Book Four of The Demon Cycle
by Peter V. Brett
Price: $19.01
71 used & new from $12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars More Background on Minor Characters, May 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I read The Warded Man, I really enjoyed the story and couldn’t wait to find out what happened next. The Desert Spear was good but not as good as The Warded Man. Then The Daylight War left me disappointed. This started out as a great story about a man that might be humanities savior against the demons killing people. Then the story went off track.

I figured that I would give The Skull Throne a try more because I was hoping to come back to Arlen Bales and stop this war with the demons. Well, I’m sorry to say, that is not going to happen. The story starts out with Arlen and Ahmann fighting for the Skull Throne then they disappear. From there all the side characters through the last three books have their stories told.

This is a very, vivid world. As I read the book I feel like I’m right there and that is a big thing for me when I read a book. Another part is the people the story is about. There are some that I really liked and some that I couldn’t stand. This is something that you find with any book. The problem I had is that these stories feel like quick, side stories that you could enhance the series with. Instead you get a 700 page book full of them.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some people that I wanted to find out what happened to them since they seemed to fall away from the main story. But there were so many that I really didn’t care about. It really drug the story down.

I’m sorry to say, you are not going to get a resolution, maybe in the next book. But it is not going to happen with The Skull Throne. I am disappointed because it seems you just keep skirting around it. I’m really hoping the next book will give a good resolution but I’m worried that it’s not going to happen then either.

Author and Creator of numerous books and DVD's.

AmazonBasics VGA to VGA Cable - 15 Feet (4.5 Meters)
AmazonBasics VGA to VGA Cable - 15 Feet (4.5 Meters)
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, High Quality Cable, May 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one heavy duty cable. It’s not going to get chewed through anytime soon. I give a lot of presentations and have to say that with as often as roll and unroll the cable I don’t see any wire breakage happening. I give many presentations so the cable will get stretched and rolled several times. I don’t think I’m going to have any problems with the wires breaking.

I used to have a 6 foot cable, I love the 15 foot. This gives me so much more room. I don’t have to stretch everything to barely reach. Now I don’t have to worry about possibly tripping or close lining myself.

The cable is made from high quality materials and is meant for high resolution monitors. I could tell the difference. My videos and presentations just seemed sharper compared to the other cable that I was using. And the price is great. $10 (at the time of this review) for a 15 foot cable is great. I just spent $20 for a 6 foot cable about a month ago.

This is a great, high quality cable for a great price. If you are looking for a good VGA to VGA cable, look no further.

I, Ripper: A Novel
I, Ripper: A Novel
by Stephen Hunter
Price: $19.01
55 used & new from $14.18

5.0 out of 5 stars This Story Is So Good You Would Swear The Author Was Actually There!, May 19, 2015
This review is from: I, Ripper: A Novel (Hardcover)
Well like the title of this review says, this story is so good you would swear that the author was actually there! How could that possibly be you might ask, well to put it simply, the authors writing was so good and incredibly detailed and yes, often times quite disturbing, that he truly had me believing that he had actually been there and that he must have personally known, Jack the Ripper.

The story is told through a three person narrative, one of which is of course Saucy Jack, along with an Irish reporter/amateur detective, and a local prostitute, set during the time and location of the infamous string of murderers in Whitechapel, that Jack himself so famously predicted that these murders would usher in the 20th century. As so dramatically put forth on the silver screen from the Hollywood film, From Hell, which starred Johnny Depp.

The first hand account of Jack's atrocities as told by Jack himself is really quite disturbing and yet, also quite revealing at the same time. Although you don't at any point feel sympathetic towards Jack, there are times when one clearly feels that perhaps the author in some way channeled the actual spirit of Jack in order to somehow gain a frightening understanding of what Jack felt during his infamous reign of terror.

I really hate when people post spoilers in their reviews, so I am not going to post any here! Suffice to say, this is not a book that you want to miss!

This story is definitely a MUST READ for any and all Jack the Ripper "fan" (I really hate to use that word, but didn't really know what other word to use) of the arguably most famous serial murderer in all of recorded history. This is without a doubt one of Stephen Hunters best written works of fiction bar none. Although I still firmly believe that "Point of Impact" is his best work, and also my personal favorite.

Cyberlink PowerDVD 15 Ultra
Cyberlink PowerDVD 15 Ultra
Price: $99.95
8 used & new from $93.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Does Exactly What It Advertises!, May 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great piece of software to enhance your video and audio playback on your computer, laptop, etc. It was really easy to install and only took a few minutes for me to do so. I didn't have any glitches or hangups during installation and the instructions were very straight forward. One of the neatest bonuses with this software was the remote app feature which allows you to control this software on your computer via your phone or tablet. Pretty neat stuff!

This version of the software has a bunch of additional upgrades from the previous version and you shouldn't have any problem at all viewing videos in any format, with the exception of some arcane format that is so off-beat that nobody else has even heard of it.

My only other comment on this software is the really helpful "bookmarking" feature that allows you to put little bookmarks during playback on the videos so that you can come right back to that spot in the video where you left off. Really helpful feature and one that I really really liked!

Venum Elite BJJ GI, White, A2
Venum Elite BJJ GI, White, A2
Price: $122.83
6 used & new from $90.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, Quality, Quality!, May 17, 2015
This review is from: Venum Elite BJJ GI (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well the first thing you will probably notice is that this is definitely NOT a plain white BJJ gi! There is quite a bit of print on it and that really makes it stand out. Now, I am not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing, but you should realize that this is not going to be a subtle gi by any stretch of the imagination and is going to be sure and get you noticed in the dojo or gym. However, having said that, the quality of workmanship and material in this gi is really quite good and I didn't have any issues with the gi I received and I even went over it quite studiously looking for poor stitching, etc. Before I tried it out. I didn't find anything!

This gi will definitely stand up to the toughest workout and you shouldn't have any concerns whatsoever in the quality of workmanship. It will definitely last you quite some time. One word of caution though, I would definitely refer to the size chart when ordering to make sure that you get the right sized gi for you. If you are thinly built but tall, you may want to consider a larger size to ensure that the arms and legs are long enough.

I highly recommend this gi for any BJJ enthusiasts!

Martial Artist/Krav Maga Instructor
Author and Creator of numerous books and DVD's.

Lenovo Flex 3 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop (Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) 80JM001NUS
Price: $749.99
26 used & new from $749.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Talk About A Literal All-In-One Computer, May 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Okay, I just picked up my computer here about six hours ago from the post office and let me tell you that I was, and am, quite excited about it. So let's start at the beginning...

My computer was packaged quite well and had been placed in a much larger, but not overly large, box for shipping, while still being sealed in the original box from the manufacturer. Now this may not seem like that big of deal to some people, but for me I really like the added thought and care that went into shipping this fragile item to me in order to insure that it arrived safely and undamaged. And I am sure we all have at least one horror story related to receiving a fragile item in the mail that didn't quite make it to you in one piece. So once I got the computer out of its manufacturers box I was more than pleased to discover that it did in fact make it to me in one piece and that there was absolutely nothing wrong with it either in function or cosmetically.

So the first thing I did was plug it in and turn it on. And, like I previously stated everything seemed to function perfectly. I then did my standard routine with dealing with any new computer and that is to update all the software on the computer and then disable or delete that software that I don't want, like the McAfee LiveSave that comes with it and you can try it for free for a short period of time. I personally am not a fan of McAfee and prefer other brands to theirs.

Now my one primary concern with this computer was the fact that it is awfully thin, which although it does have its benefits it also tends to make me really nervous as I am really concerned that it may be too thin and therefore easier to damage. And although I don't know as of yet, because I have only had it a few hours, if that is indeed going to be the case. I know that I am very careful how I handle it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing and who knows I am sure I will probably get over that as time goes on.

What is exceptionally cool about this computer is that it can act as one of four different configurations; laptop, stand, tent, and as a tablet simply be rearranging or perhaps I should say positioning the screen and base into one of the four different variations. Really helpful and adaptable and that is a definite plus for anyone who basically takes their computer with them where ever they go. I don't quite meet that particular criteria, but there are times when I do seem to have it with me the whole day and this is much easier to work with than a standard laptop only configuration. The one thing that I would like to add here is make sure you get a very good carrying case of some sort that provides good protection for this computer during your normal day-to-day activities. That way it will add not only a degree of protection while transporting it, but it will also let you carry in needed accessories such as; wireless mouse, mouse pad, any external plug-in devices, etc.

Now thankfully this came with Windows 8.1 and not Windows 8, which was absolutely horrible. The much needed update does fix pretty much all the issues that Windows 8 had and makes using that operating system less of a pain. But make sure you do a complete update right away so that you can avoid any problems. I think it only took 15 or 20 minutes for mine to update. I am not sure because I wasn't really timing it, but I know it didn't take very long at all.

The touchscreen is nice, but make sure you have some screen cleaning cloths and cleaner with you because if you are like me the smudges and fingerprints get to be annoying after awhile. I usually don't use the touchscreen and prefer the keypad, but depending upon the configuration you are using you won't have a choice and will have to utilize the touchscreen. Speaking of the screen, it had very nice color and depth to it and it was pretty impressive. Okay, not as impressive as some of the new TV's out now, but still for what you have it looked really good. The speakers were actually quite good in my opinion, especially considering their size, now I am not a true audiophile, but if you really are a true audiophile and wanted to really listen to the music I would recommend some external high quality speakers. Although I must admit that they sure did sound pretty good to me.

As far as the computing and storage stats go this computer really has a lot to offer. I am not going to get into the technical aspects of this computer other than to say look at the description and you can see what it has.

The one thing that was a bit of a negative for me was the reported battery life of six hours. Now I can't say for sure that it will or will not last quite that long as I haven't got a chance to really try it yet, but I plan on it over the weekend. I will add to this review after this weekend and report any additional thoughts or characteristics of this computer as I find them.

ADDED on Sunday, May 10th 2015:

Okay, I have tried this computer for almost two full days now and I am totally impressed with it. I haven't had any issues with its performance or function and I have to admit that the versatility of this computer has really won me over. I initially thought, and still do to a point, that the thinness and various positions in which you can move it would leave it very fragile and vulnerable to damage. However, in the two days that I have been using it I have to say that it is a lot sturdier than I had originally thought. I still am very careful with it, but shouldn't you be anyhow?

My only complaint is the battery life! It advertises six hours, but I could only get about five hours out of it. Of course that could very well be to the applications and work I was doing on it, but still if you advertise six hours, it should last six hours. Not a deal breaker by any means, just an irritating annoyance.

Author and Creator of numerous books and DVD's.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2015 10:16 PM PDT

Moen YG0424BN Align 24-inch Designer Grab Bar, Brushed Nickel
Moen YG0424BN Align 24-inch Designer Grab Bar, Brushed Nickel
Price: $81.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, But..., May 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This grab bar by Moen is a very high quality product, as one might expect from Moen, and it also looks great. Yes, it is a bit more expensive than other lesser known grab bars on the market, but then again you get what you pay for. When I purchase something I expect it to be fully functional and to last for a long period of time. And, if it happens to look good as well, then that it all the better. My only real complaint is that the length of the bar does not match the normal distance between wall studs, which you definitely need to mount this bar to because if you think for one minute that you can mount this into the sheet rock and expect it to hold your weight then you are in for one nasty and quite possibly dangerously unhealthy surprise. Now I had to mount this bar vertically instead of horizontally in order to make sure that both ends were securely mounted into the stud. Why? Well the bar measures 24 inches and the accepted distance between studs in a wall are usually at 16 inches. See the problem! All of the hardware to install this bar is included in the box, and the instructions are pretty straight-forward.

The Nutro Company Baked Beefy Bones, 8/10-Ounce
The Nutro Company Baked Beefy Bones, 8/10-Ounce
Price: $6.99
3 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Dogs Really Loved Them, May 4, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This may end up being my dogs favorite treat as I darn near lost a finger or two trying to give them their second treat. The first treat they sniffed and then tentatively took it from my hands, the second treat not so much! When I tried giving them their second treat it was like, "Move out of the way, I have never tasted anything better in all my life and I want another one!" OUCH! Darn near got those fingers. So I can tell you from personal experience that my dogs sure enjoyed them, although I must admit that there will be no more holding the treats in my fingers. Instead I will toss them on the floor and minimize the risk to my precious digits.

Shawn Kovacich
100% Animal Lover (Especially Cats)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20