Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now
Profile for Shawn Kovacich > Reviews

Browse

Shawn Kovacich's Profile

Customer Reviews: 730

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shawn Kovacich "Shawn Kovacich" RSS Feed (The Greatest Little City in the World)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
gunFight!
gunFight!
by Richard Nance
Price: $20.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Written With Sound Practical Information, February 28, 2016
This review is from: gunFight! (Paperback)
Well I just finished reading through this book for the second time in as many days and I have to say that I am actually pretty impressed with pretty much all of the content contained within this 200 page book. Now that isn't meant to imply that I agree 100% with everything written, but I would say that I am pretty much in about 90 to 95% agreement with the author on the various subjects he discusses throughout the twenty chapters in this book. There are a couple of things that I definitely don't agree with, and then there are a few others that I partially agree with but with some reservation. And there are a couple of things that I really had issues with, but those will be discussed later in this review.

The author really did a fantastic job at giving you the reader the necessary information and guidelines for you to start researching and training in order to better prepare yourself for an actual realistic "gunFIGHT," not the Hollyweird version of reality which for the most part has no actual semblance to reality be any stretch. Combining empty-handed skills with handgun handling skills is far better that just one or the other, and the author does an excellent job at explaining how to bridge that gap.

For now here is a list of the chapters in this book with a brief description of the contents of each chapter. Please be advised that the material in each one of these chapters could more often than not be an entire book or at the very least a much larger portion of the book. However, the author has kept the material fairly short and succinct and to the point, which is great for this particular book which is intended to give you a large overview of the material you need to study and practice in order to become more confident and competent in an actual gunFIGHT!

Chapter One: Safety Considerations

One must definitely have "SAFETY" in mind whenever training, whether it is practicing your empty handed skills, with a firearm, knife, or any weapon, especially when practicing any kind of combative technique. The author really stresses this point and although it can seem to be a "No-Brainer," it is usually complacency that ends up getting someone hurt. Don't be complacent, it can really be costly to do so!

Chapter Two: Legal Considerations

The only thing I am going to comment on about this section is simply this, "What does anything matter if you are dead?" The number one concern should always be for you to live and be victorious over your attacker. I don't personally know what happens to you after you die. I have my own believes about that as I am sure you do as well, but they are only believes! You don't know for sure and I don't know for sure what happens after we die, but I can tell you this, "It is far better to be alive that it is to be dead!"

Chapter Three: Awareness

Awareness and Avoidance are almost always your best first line of defense. Free yourself from frivolous distractions when your safety is more at risk, and pay attention to the people and events going on around you. Although avoidance is almost always your best form of defense, there are times when you are unable to avoid and sometimes when you shouldn't avoid.

Chapter Four: Mindset

Very, very, very important and unfortunately not many instructors do enough to train their students in this subject. Good basics and offers some better reference material.

OKAY, here is the one particular sentence on page 29 in this book that I have the most problems with and it goes as follows: "That's why instructors worth their salt focus on simple, gross motor-based techniques that are easy to recall and execute under stress." Now to understand this sentence in its full context you need to read the complete paragraph in which it was contained. Although I do admit that, in the beginning, students should focus on those simple basic skills until the become instinctive, but as you train and progress even the most intricate of techniques can become simple and instinctive. Just ask any surgeon who performs life-saving surgeries if they are not under a considerable amount of stress, and yet, they seem to be able to handle complex fine-motor skills just fine. All it takes is time, effort, and proper guidance, and the ability to stay calm under stress. Everything that can be learned and practiced, but often is not.

Chapter Five: Dynamics of Close Quarter Engagements

Hollywood vs. Reality: an entirely different ball game.

Chapter Six: Choosing A Gun, Holster, and Carry Method

Just like your shoes size, there is no one size fits all. You have to find the right materials for you. Just because so-and-so recommended this because that is what they use does not mean that it will be right for you.

Chapter Seven: Fending and Striking

Utilizing empty handed skills alongside your handgun shooting skills.

Chapter Eight: Countering the Draw Stroke

How to counter your attacker as he/she reaches for their gun or other weapon.

Chapter Nine: Addressing a Drawn Weapon

Dealing with an attacker who already has their gun drawn and pointed at you.

Chapter Ten: Ready Positions

The author discusses several different handgun ready positions.

Chapter Eleven: The Draw Stroke

Getting your gun out of the holster and on target as quickly and effectively as possible during an actual combative engagement.

Chapter Twelve: Shooting From Retention

How to shoot from a less than perfect range shooting position.

Chapter Thirteen: Contact Distance Shooting

Shooting your attacker with the muzzle basically placed up against the attackers own body.

Chapter Fourteen: Striking With Your Gun

Although this should only be done as a last resort when your gun is no longer capable of ding its primary function, which is to shoot bullets out of the barrel.

Chapter Fifteen: Holstered Handgun Retention

How to keep an attacker from getting your gun when it is holstered.

Chapter Sixteen: In-Hand Handgun Retention

How to keep your attacker from taking your gun away from you once you have it in hand.

Chapter Seventeen: Fighting From the Clinch

Utilizing empty handed combatives and handgun skills while in a clinch with your attacker.

Chapter Eighteen: Fighting From the Ground

The last place you want to be is on your back on the ground with an attacker hovering over you, but if it does happen here are some things to help you overcome this situation.

Chapter Nineteen: Handling Multiple Assailants

This is a lot more common than one would think and is always going to put you at some kind of disadvantage.

Chapter Twenty: Training Progression

Basically some sound advice on continuing your training both empty handed and with a firearm.

One of the biggest problems I had with this book was not the written text, which was very informative and valuable, but the very small photographs that were displayed throughout the entire book. These photographs needed to be much bigger and, in some cases, shown from more than just the one angle. Some of the descriptions would have been much better had the accompanying photographs been from more than one angle along with being much larger.

Another problem I had was the absolute absence of any illustrations whatsoever. There were several instances where some added illustrations would have definitely added to the overall effect of the written material being presented. Not a deal breaker by any stretch, but it would have been nice to have had illustrations in the appropriate locations throughout the book.

In closing I would definitely give this book my highest recommendation and am proud to have it in my personal library!

Author and Creator of numerous books and DVD's.

D-Link DCS-960L HD 180-Degree Wi-Fi Camera (Black)
D-Link DCS-960L HD 180-Degree Wi-Fi Camera (Black)
Price: $139.97
53 used & new from $108.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Indoor Camera, December 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This camera is actually pretty easy to set-up and is no where near as complicated as a lot of other cameras and camera systems I have seen over the years. Be sure and read and follow the instructions as it will make things a lot easier. First thing you should do after you un-box everything is to download the app which is easy to do if you follow the instructions. The instructions are very simple to follow and should be no problem at all for anyone to use.

The camera has a really crisp and clear view of basically 180 degrees and surprisingly the picture clarity is good throughout the entire range. This is an indoor camera and not to be used outdoors as it isn't designed for that. The pictures that come out on my smartphone are really clear and you can even use the camera for a night view by the simple flip of a switch, so to speak.

You truly have to see this camera to believe it and once you do, you will be more than pleased with it and probably will end up getting one or two more. Highly recommended!

Author and Creator of numerous books and DVD's

Optima Collection Platinum Level Complete Bath Set, includes 4 Bath Towels, 4 Hand Towels, 12 Washcloths, and 1 Bath Mat, 100% Eco-Friendly Pre-Consumer Regenerated Cotton
Price: $45.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Made and They Work Great, December 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great set of towels and very well made so far. Although I would always make sure you wash them before actually using them. The one downside is that they are white and therefore will show dirt quicker than a darker towel, but as I am reminded of the awesome scene in the movie Pulp Fiction when Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta are washing up at Jimmy's house after the unfortunate incident in the car. Be sure and use soap and water and wash your hands well BEFORE drying them on the towel. Otherwise, they will look like a ___________. Well, you are just going to have to watch the movie in case you don't remember that line of perhaps haven't seen the movie. Anyhow, these towels are well made and are soft to the touch and really worked well this past week that I have had them.

Highly recommended!

Onelink Wi-Fi Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Battery, Apple HomeKit-enabled
Onelink Wi-Fi Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Battery, Apple HomeKit-enabled
Price: $94.99
52 used & new from $69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, But Does Not Work With Android, December 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very nice smoke/carbon monoxide alarm that is really well constructed and comes with somewhat surprisingly easy instructions that take you through each step in a clear and concise manner. I think it took me maybe 5 minutes to install it and that included getting the ladder out of the garage. All you really have to do is find the location that you want to mount the alarm, mount the bracket properly to that location, and then simply put the alarm in the bracket, and your done.

Then you simply pair the alarm up with your smartphone, be sure and follow the directions and pay attention because it doesn't take long at all. Once the app is installed you can test the alarm out on the smartphone and then adjust it accordingly. Also, this alarm comes with a ten year battery. YES, you read that correctly, a TEN YEAR BATTERY! Wow, not only does it come with a battery, but the battery lasts ten years. Now that is truly remarkable, especially how most battery operated items come with a disclaimer that no batteries included.

The one really bad thing is that this does not work with the Android operating system, so if you have that on your smartphone, this won't work. it does however integrate well with Siri, so you do have that option.

This item is well-worth the price, but would be better if it also worked with Android. Highly recommended.

The Sleeping King: A Novel
The Sleeping King: A Novel
by Cindy Dees
Price: $18.96
69 used & new from $3.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Start to a New Epic/RPG Fantasy Story, December 7, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Sleeping King starts out with lots of world building. It does get a bit heavy but you learn about this world, the immortal Emperor who can read his subjects minds, politics, prophecies, and orphans that are way more than they know. Once you get past the initial start, you will follow several different characters and how they are fighting for one reason or another. I admit that there were several times that we would jump from one point of view to another and I would have to read in confusion until something would remind me of what is going on. But the main portion of the story revolves around a group of teenagers that are on a quest to wake the Sleeping King. He is supposed to be able to defeat the Emperor.

This book is based off of a role playing game and I could see that with different things like how death is not really real. There are ways that you could be brought back. I liked the different creatures you meet and the epic take on the world of Urth.

I admit that the ending was a little lacking for me. If this is the first in a series I would say that it is a great opener. There are so many different plots going on that there could easily be a couple books. I would definitely read the next book in the series.

Author and Creator of numerous books and DVD's.

Linksys Business AC1750 Pro Dual-Band Access Point (LAPAC1750PRO)
Linksys Business AC1750 Pro Dual-Band Access Point (LAPAC1750PRO)
Price: $204.99
69 used & new from $163.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Update The Firmware FIRST, and Then You Should Have No Issues, December 4, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't know if it is just me or not, but I always do a firmware/software update whenever applicable to the products I purchase. Sure, the manufacturer should have all the bugs worked out of a product before they start selling it, but as we are all aware this seems to rarely be the case. So if you know that in advance, wouldn't it make perfectly good sense to check for and download all available updates first before doing anything else! So with that said, on with the review...

Once I checked for and downloaded all available firmware updates, this product performed even better than I expected. This is a very powerful dual-band wireless access point that gives you a really good range for you average space. The space I am using this in is roughly 2,000 square feet and it covers all of that and even a short distance outside the building. The installation and set-up was very easy and the instructions were easy to understand. I didn't time everything, including the firmware update which took the most time, but I think that I got it installed in less than 15 minutes.

Catit Magic Blue Air Purifier for Litter Boxes
Catit Magic Blue Air Purifier for Litter Boxes
Price: $5.39

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't notice a difference between the filter and cleaning litter more often, December 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a small container that can be stuck to the inside of the lid of a covered cat box. There are two little packets that are the filters that you put in this box. The packets are a little moist when you open them and they are pretty small (2 ¼ x 3 inches). I stuck them on the inside top cover of one of my litter boxes.

I have several cats and several cat boxes. One thing I have noticed is that they will use some boxes more to poo and others more for pee. So I selected a pee box to test the first filter. Without the filter, after a day or two I don’t usually smell any ammonia anyway, that is why I use Freshstep cat litter. I’m sorry to say that I let it go an extra day and still didn’t notice any difference with the filter compared to normal use.

I decided to use a poo box to test the other filter. I feed my cat’s premium food but there are a couple that have supper smelly behinds. I’m sorry to say that I didn’t really notice a difference compared to how they normally smell, especially when they don’t cover.

This is a filter with a mysterious mixture that is supposed to absorb up to 80% of ammonia and reduce poo orders by 40%. Mind you if you clean your litter box daily, which is also part of the recommended instructions, this will probably help more than the filter. The website also says this works best in a covered little box with a flap.

I cannot officially say if the filter did or didn’t work. From what I have noticed I don’t think that they really made a difference. I have found that if you have a problem with odor you better be cleaning the little boxes a lot more often. That worked better for me.

Author and Creator of numerous books and DVD's.

HP5 Cycle Flex Reset Timer, Heavy Duty, CYCL-FLEX Housing, Easy Installation and Service, UL Recognized, CSA Certified and FM Approved part # HP55A6
Price: $336.00
5 used & new from $179.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Timer, But Not For Use In The Home!, November 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well to be perfectly up front about this time, I thought that this was a fancy timer that you could use at home and it not. Well, it is a fancy timer and if you use it for its intended purpose then you have got yourself exactly what you are looking for. And it is of exceptionally high quality, but if you make the mistake that I did and think that you can use this in the home for everyday tasks, then you are going to be like me and sadly mistaken.

This is a manufacturers timer to be used in a factory for a variety of factory uses. I wasn't able to use this timer because I don't have a factory, but I consulted with a couple of friends that have been in manufacturing and they told me that this is a great timer for use in a factory but not for in the home. Although, with some tinkering I am sure you could get it to work in the home or garage, but it is more than a bit pricey for that. Simply get the correct timer in the first place and save yourself the headaches and hassles.

Now if you need this type of timer for a conveyor belt, manufacturing machine, etc., then this is definitely the timer for you.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2015 11:33 AM PST

Rbenxia Stylish Brown Billfold Coffee Leather Wallet Credit Card Men Purse Clutch Bifold
Offered by Rbenxia
Price: $8.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Sub-Standard Wallet - Although It's Big You Get What You Pay For, November 29, 2015
This is a larger leather wallet, 5 inches by 4 inches folded in half. There are two spots that are as wide as the wallet to put your cash, checks, or other large bills. There are numerous pockets for id’s and credit cards.

The problem I have with it is although it says genuine leather it doesn’t feel like leather. It feels more plastic. It has a stiff feel that I don’t think will “break in” and will more break from constant use.

With the larger pockets for cash and such, there is a strange hole in the bottom of the pocket by the fold. I have no idea what this is for but it makes the wallet look even cheaper. At the time of this review, the wallet is going for $8. In this case I would say that you get what you spend.

Although this is a bigger wallet, it is of a cheaper quality. Save your money and buy something else.

Author and Creator of numerous books and DVD's.

RFID Blocking Leather Wallet for Women, Latest Credit Card Safe RFID Block Security Travel Wallets/Holder/Case/Protector for Ladies
Offered by BEAUTY OF MICRO
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $12.74

3.0 out of 5 stars Bright Orange Leather Wallet That Won't Protect Your Cards, November 29, 2015
This is a bright orange wallet that is supposed to be leather with a definite pattern. The pattern is called a pebble pattern and is very noticeable. The zippers are big and clunky and I think make this look rough. There are two pockets with one being able to hold up to 12 credit cards. The other is one pocket and two areas on each side for a couple more credit cards or an ID.

This wallet is supposed to block RFID reader’s from scanning your cards through your wallet. I tried scanning my id card through the wallet and it was easily read. So much for protecting your cards and ID. Also, this wallet has a distinct plastic/leather smell that is a bit overwhelming for me.

I am not a fan of wallets like this. It is rather small and glaringly orange. If you are looking for a leather wallet I think this would work. But if you are looking for something to protect your cards and information I can’t recommend this wallet.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20