Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
Profile for H. G. > Reviews

Browse

H. G.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

H. G. RSS Feed (Catonsville, MD)

Page: 1 | 2
OsoCozy Flannel Baby Wipes - 15 Pack (Unbleached)
OsoCozy Flannel Baby Wipes - 15 Pack (Unbleached)
Offered by All Together Enterprises
Price: $9.95
2 used & new from $9.95

3.0 out of 5 stars 2.5 stars -- Not my favorite, August 19, 2013
Not as impressed as I'd hoped. Washing these every other day with my regular diapers, it took at least a month before they would soak up water (the water would just pool on top and s-l-o-w-l-y make it's way into the wipe's surface). I stack them in a (formerly) disposable wipes tub interspersed with Kissaluvs Knit Terry Wipes (more on them below) and just put plain water in the tub so they're at the ready. Although they do soak up water better now, they still stick together in the container (to other wipes and themselves), which is frustrating when trying to grab one for use on a wriggling toddler who doesn't want a diaper change.

I purchased these as an alternate to my Kissaluvs Knit Terry Wipes, which I love but were pricier. My husband accidentally threw out some of Kissaluvs wipes (he's used to using disposable wipes), so I wanted something that would be easier to spot in the trash (the rainbow border) without the price tag of the full color wipes. Although the OsoCozy's are softer all-around, they don't seem as effective in wiping up my daughter's diaper area as my Kissaluvs.

I'm glad to have extra reusable wipes, but admit to hoping the OsoCozies aren't at the top of the tub each diaper change.

Fellowes Powershred PS-67Cs 8 sheet Confetti Cut Shredder
Fellowes Powershred PS-67Cs 8 sheet Confetti Cut Shredder
3 used & new from $128.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Lasted half a decade!, June 1, 2013
Bought this on Amazon almost 5 years ago and it finally croaked. Disappointed but hadn't realized we'd had it for so long, so already 2 thumbs up for its longevity! We used it 1-2 times a month for maybe 1/2 to 1-inch pile of items at a time. Sensor is in the middle so putting little papers (receipts, addresses ripped off magazines/catalogs, etc.) to the right or left of center wouldn't advance the blades until something hit in the middle. Never tried slicing a credit card. It always sounded "winded" with 4 sheets of paper going through at a time, so I tried to keep it to 2-3 sheets. I did slice mailing labels, which gum up the blades, but would run a regular sheet of paper every few label sheets to break it up. It also sliced nicely through staples although I tried to put those through sparingly.

PROS:
- fairly quiet - love this!
- double buttons (power & fwd/back) deter little ones from easily turning it on (although we leave it unplugged anyway for this reason)
- top cover area makes shredding area even safer from (little) fingers
- fairly big basin and compresses well (although often stacked up on the shredding side and had to be pushed over to the opposite side to make room for incoming if not emptied)

CONS:
- HEAVY lid (especially for lift-off when emptying)
- shreds in strips (check the manufacturer's pictured definition of "cross-cut", not quite the confetti I originally thought)
- current price - deters me from purchasing another right now (in 2008, we paid <$100)

A good machine for the price we paid. Would definitely purchase again (at our original price)!

Kissaluvs Awesome Knit Terry Wipes, 12 Pack, Unbleached
Kissaluvs Awesome Knit Terry Wipes, 12 Pack, Unbleached
Price: $18.00
3 used & new from $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them!, June 1, 2013
I can't say enough good things about these (despite the price)! They aren't as soft as my other wipes, but I haven't had any issues of scratching my daughter's skin (who gets diaper rash at least once a week, so has somewhat senstive skin) and they do the job quite effectively. The two sides come in really handily for various diapering situations and the wipes themselves retain water really well, more like a washcloth. I wash them every 1-2 days and they haven't worn down in the 18 months since I bought them.

I keep these wipes folded "softer" side out in a (formerly disposable) wipes container with only plain water. My husband prefers using disposable wipes, but on days when we run out, we easily go through an entire pack of these wipes. On one of these occasions, my husband accidentally threw a few Kissaluvs into the trash, which I later emptied without realizing they were there. Since the Kissaluvs are on the pricier side, I wanted to purchase more wipes without being exclusive to this version, and choose something that was hopefully more obvious in the trash. The result, the rainbow-bordered OsoCozy Flannel Baby Wipes - 15 Pack (Unbleached). Needless to say, the OzoCozies while softer, don't retain much water and therefore don't seem to clean the diaper area very well. In the end, I would've been happier to spend the money on Kissaluvs again.

Real Nappies 6-Pack of Snug Wrap Diaper Covers, Crawler Size, for babies 6-18 months, 18 lb to 31 lb
Offered by Shopping Moa
Price: $79.99
2 used & new from $32.00

4.0 out of 5 stars oh where, oh where did the strong velcro go?, May 27, 2013
I bought 3 or 4 sizes of these as my daughter has grown, pairing them with basic unbleached Indian cotton pre-folds and Snappi Cloth Diaper Fasteners - Pack of 3 (Mint color mix). My daughter has been around the 50th percentile since she was born and we haven't had too many issues as long as the pre-fold is tucked inside the cover as it should be.

I read about the velcro wearing out from previous reviewers. While this initially wasn't an issue since my daughter initially jumped sizes every few months, she's been in the last round of covers for about a year. The velcro isn't nearly as strong as it used to be and has started curling outward, which means it catches on almost everything--shirt sleeves of the changer, changing table cover as a wriggly changee writhes to get away, the velcro tab on the opposite side of the diaper, or some other wayward item that crosses its path. I considered purchasing plain velcro and sewing it on myself to "update" the same covers, but haven't. Unsure if I'll purchase another round of the same size covers or just get something completely different.

My year-old covers are slightly stained, but a quick pre-laundered rinse with water for overly wet (pee-pee) covers or a little hand soap and brief scrub (sometimes sit and scrub) for those whose fate is worse have kept them relatively white. Hanging them dry (a few hours) may have also helped with staining or lack of worsening the velcro's demise.

Aspects Brushed Nickel Nyjer Thistle Mesh Tube Bird Feeder, Medium
Aspects Brushed Nickel Nyjer Thistle Mesh Tube Bird Feeder, Medium
Offered by Aidleyco
Price: $27.99
17 used & new from $27.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as other feeder, May 27, 2013
I bought this based on its good reviews. We get a lot of finches and I wanted a second feeder to accompany another we received as a gift. We've had this feeder for about a year and although it's really well-made (very sturdy, easy to fill, cone base means seed isn't sequestered at the bottom), our birds don't go through the seed nearly as fast as our other feeder (a medium-size yellow nyjer mesh feeder from a local Wild Bird Center). I'm not sure if it's the hole size / shape of the mesh (this is square-shaped vs. our other one is squished hexagonally, like an oval version of a hexagon), but when the original feeder is empty, the Aspects one is only 1/3 or 1/2 of the way empty. For this reason, I rated it lower and would've maybe given 3 stars if it weren't so well-constructed. Otherwise, it does the job. No squirrel issues or bigger birds barging in, and finches hang from it without any seeming difficulty. However, I only use this feeder when suet season is over (mid-spring through mid-autumn)-swapping the suet for the thistle feeder--keeping my original yellow mesh feeder up year-round.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Best buzzing PJs ever!, November 15, 2012
We bought these as a gift for our daughter's 1st birthday a month ago. They are absolutely soft both inside & out, and just as cute as the picture! The bee is sewn on (not silk screen) and with no itchiness factor on the inside. The lightweight fabric also makes them a good choice even in warmer months. The PJs fit fine over cloth diapers and always stretch after one wearing, but "shrink" back nicely with a regular washing. The shirt is long enough that I don't worry about an exposed midriff in the middle of the night. HIghly recommended!

The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative
The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative
by Christine Gross-Loh
Price: $12.09
122 used & new from $3.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands-on ECing made easy, July 21, 2012
I chose this book based on its reviews, starting the process of elimination communication (ECing) with my daughter at 2 months. It's an easy read (very hands-on) and effectively lays out material with chapters on the basic premise of ECing, how to start (or challenges faced) at different ages (birth to 3 months, 3-8 months, etc.), different gear you may want / need, attempting the process (or switching between) full-time, part-time, occasionally (e.g., if you're a working parent), traveling while potty training, and has a great list of resources in the back. The slight repetition (mainly of FT, PT or occasional EC) didn't detract from the reading as much as re-emphasize that it's okay to do any or all of them at any given time depending on the factors in your life. (Be aware that the BABYBJÖRN Little Potty - Pink they discuss and picture in the book is now discontinued.) I didn't want theory or statistics, so this was the perfect choice for me.

I read the book almost cover-to-cover before starting with my daughter (now 9 months) and have pulled it off my shelf to reread as she has gone through different phases (during "potty pauses" of teething, mobility, etc.), on out-of-sync days or just to refresh my memory on many of the ECing signs. The tone of the book is quite positive and while this initially makes it seem possible for every child to easily potty train, I found myself returning to read the excerpts / testimonials from participants when I didn't feel so positive about the process and remind myself that it's not about potty training as much as about communication. As a result of ECing, we've had less diaper rash and a baby who is more aware of her body's natural functions (even while wearing disposables during travels).

The journey hasn't been without bumps, but both my husband and I (in addition to grandparents and other family members) were amazed and ecstatic when she was able to go on the toilet within a couple days of trying, and are still delighted whenever she goes now. We catch most poops and were doing okay with some pees until the summer hit (extra water to combat the heat = extra peeing). We choose not to be diaper-less, but the book addresses how to do this effectively without baby leaving a trail everywhere for you to clean up.

Highly recommended. Happy ECing!

UPDATE: Now that my daughter is a toddler (19 months), it was helpful to reread the chapter addressing toddler issues and recognize some of the new potty signs listed in the book that I'd already discovered. The book is in my daughter's room for quick reference and she really enjoys looking at the pictures of children in the book on the potty when it's story time, which I also appreciate since she's never seen younger children like herself using the potty. I know I'll be referencing the book again come "graduation" time.

Prince Lionheart weePOD, Green (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Prince Lionheart weePOD, Green (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by kizuna biz JAPAN (^-^) (^-^)/
Price: $39.99
2 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for EC'ing little ones, March 21, 2012
Bought the Weepod a month ago to EC my then 4 1/2-month-old who at the time was about 25" and 13 1/2 pounds. She has a small bum and most toilet trainer holes are too big so she falls through--the Weepod is therefore perfect! I also chose it over the Baby Bjorn because the seat seemed warmer and squishier for comfort (we have the Baby Bjorn little potty and my daughter sometimes squirms / refuses to sit on it because the plastic is cold). So far, no complaints! Since my daughter couldn't quite sit up by herself when I bought this, the higher back was great support and now serves as something to push off of when she's done. The tightening wheel works easily (just a few turns in each direction depending on whether it's being put on or taken off the toilet seat) and the sturdy loop works well being hung in our small bathroom to free up the seat for adults. Also, the Weepod doesn't get steamy / slippery from shower humidity, so I never worry if my daughter uses it immediately after we jump out of a shower.

I sanitize / wipe down my Weepod weekly and like that the colored part can be separated for anything that falls into the lip (the white part in front wraps around the colored area), mainly spit up at this point. You have to push the back down firmly to resecure it underneath, but the unit is very solid once this is done.

I purchased my Weepod from an independent vendor (slightly cheaper than Amazon's price) so have no comments about other reviewers who say theirs arrived dirty. Even at this price, the Weepod is well worth it!

BabyKicks 3 Pack Prefold Diaper, Small
BabyKicks 3 Pack Prefold Diaper, Small
Price: $28.43
2 used & new from $19.90

3.0 out of 5 stars absorbent, but not for small newborns, February 8, 2012
Bought 3 sizes of these before my daughter was born and ended up returning the 2 larger ones since they were unopened. (Side note: as with many baby items, Amazon took back all unopened packages beyond their normal 30-day policy with no questions asked and free shipping.) In retrospect, I probably could've saved them, using them for night wearing instead of all the time.

What I liked: The diapers are very absorbent and the different colors would make it easy to see what size you're grabbing without having to compare. These also worked well as nighttime diapers when we weren't having to change her all the time and needed more absorbency.

What I didn't like: Some of this is my fault for not doing as much research as possible on cloth diapering beforehand. (1) Whereas the Real Nappies covers I bought to use with these (which work great with them and my current Indian pre-folds) came with both washing and folding instructions, the BabyKicks came with nothing other than a card with a URL on it. My fault for not investigating the site, but read via one of the reviewers that they needed to be washed & dried more than once before first use (the site says 3 times). In the process of multiple washings, the super soft diapers were no longer super soft (since you aren't supposed to use fabric softener with them). (2) My daughter was 6 pounds at birth although we didn't start using these (our only cloth diaper) until she was 7+ pounds (just under one month). Switching from disposables to this as cloth was a big change because of the thickness and she fussed a lot so we stopped. Also, my daughter is slim below the waist and she was upset that she couldn't bring her legs together much less into the fetal position that she still sometimes favored early on (all because of the thickness). I ended up purchasing less absorbent unbleached Indian pre-folds to make the transition, then moved to the "small" BabyKicks as an in-between before regular-sized Indian pre-folds. (3) Snappis often slip on this material without "catching" which can be frustrating and somewhat dangerous while trying to change a squirming little one.

Not a bad diaper, but I wouldn't recommend for smaller babies.

Baby's First Splash
Baby's First Splash
by Hinkler Books
Edition: Board book
17 used & new from $4.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, February 7, 2012
This review is from: Baby's First Splash (Board book)
I was given this as a baby shower gift and my 3-month-old loves it! The pictures are bright, bold and words are easy to read. Some of the images are bath-related (e.g., toy duck, soap, towel), others more in the water realm (e.g., watering can, mermaid, duckling), and with 24 images on solid-colored backgrounds it's fun to look at and doesn't get old. The book is sturdy with the covers padded and it's the perfect size to hold with a little one (we have the small version that another reviewer mentioned, which may not be the one Amazon sells).

Page: 1 | 2