ARRAY(0xaeb56fe4)

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JD RSS Feed

Shame and Attachment Loss: The Practical Work of Reparative Therapy
Shame and Attachment Loss: The Practical Work of Reparative Therapy
by Joseph Nicolosi
Price: $22.01
46 used & new from $15.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just for Psychotherapists, April 7, 2010
The introduction to this book begins: "This book is for psychotherapists who seek techniques to assist a systematically ignored group, the non-gay homosexual - a population thought by most of my colleagues not to exist." However, I'm not a therapist - just a friend to someone who struggles with unwanted SSA - and I found Nicolosi's book to be informative and helpful.

The book starts with an overview of reparative therapy in general, and then goes on to explain a family dynamic which is common in Nicolosi's patients. This was interesting, and complete with charts, but I really enjoyed the book as it moved past Chapter Four. After that point there are a lot of client/therapist transcripts and these were eye-opening for me - in fact some of them reminded me strongly of conversations that I'd had with my friend, and I was able to see them in a different light.

It's true that this book is technical, and much of it is focused on therapeutic techniques, but I also found it interesting and relatable. I learned much from reading about how Nicolosi's clients have been able to work through their childhood dysfunction and deep grief in order to find healing. I would recommend this book not just for therapists who are interested in helping those who deal unwanted same-sex attraction, but also to those who have a loved one in that position.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2013 7:54 AM PDT